Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,

I am an undergraduate student of Software Development about to start doing my course final year's project and who has a deep passion for the ultimate frontier (Space) in general. I have decided that the theme of my project will be "Space Exploration". The problem is I do not have the slightest clue on what exactly to do, which is why I have come in search for help from you!

The general specifications for this computer application ? software ? are very simple and straightforward. The application must make use of 3D graphics and sound (multimedia), will ideally use a management system of data (as in a database of celestial bodies, for example) and must have a real-world practical use. The application will be freeware, which means there will be no usage or download fees, and its source code will be freely distributed under the GPL license.

I must point out that I am more keen on developing a simulator of some sort that could be useful to scientists and/or professionals of the Space Industry.

However, I would like to hear from you all kinds of ideas you might come up with that meets the criteria I have outlined above, i.e.: space probes' (solar system) journey simulator.

Having over 18 years of programming experience developing software and knowing a multitude of programming languages and computer technologies I feel I have the necessary skills to take on a project of this magnitude.

I must stress once more that it must have a real-world practical application. Think of it as my contribution to the world, in which you will play an important part by helping me decide what to do!

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Best Regards,

David Nimrod

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The skill to implement it but not a single idea as to what to implement? How very very strange.

Pick up the phone and call any planetarium on the planet. In exchange for the idea ... donate the product to them for their use.

DA Morgan
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
the theme of my project will be "Space Exploration". The problem is I do not have the slightest clue on what exactly to do
100% qualifed for NASA administrator. OK, try the anti-NASA: Gravitational keyholes are some 2000 feet across,

Google
"gravitational keyholes" 183 hits

A dynamic (digital orrery) and graphic database of keyholes vs. proposed spacecraft paths might be interesting. Ditto the ever-changing geometry of gravitational boosts,

Google
"gravitational boosts" 375 hits

These are big mouthfuls to chew.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
try this one.

make a simulation / tool for determining
(why/how) the same side of the moon always faces the earth.

what could cause this?

could it be that the core of the moon is closer to the earth than its center?

could we have an oppurtunity to examine a planets core?

are there ( any ) other bodies that act this way?

could this offset core be due to gravity between the cooling moon and the earth?

what in the moon could cause this?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
D
D
I have spent lots of time developing real-world spacecraft simulators, guidance, navigation and control software and the like. If you expect to write some codes that have "real-world practical use" before the end of the school year, you are in deep poop. Your experience (18 years?) should tell you this. No matter how good a coder you are you need to know about spacecraft systems, orbital mechanics, control systems theory, numerical methods and much more.

Similar remarks apply to astronomical codes. Astronomical software is for the most part, "hand crafted" by astronomers for particular purposes. It often require some pretty hairy numerics and is part of a wider and more involved research project.

However, I don't want to be too negative. I suspect that your teacher/supervisor will go for a database with a flashy front-end. Another posibility is to get a book like "Practical Astronomy with your Calculator" by Peter Duffet-Smith. Cook up some of the routines and put a solid GUI in front and - presto - a senior project appears as if by magic!

A
A
Provide a model based on current theory/model of tachyions, and their life cycle..

Show the exhistance of the a "probable binary partner" for our sun.

Show how the bonded-cluster-matters may be the causative factor for the double helix appearance of nebula.

Show a neutral H rotation curve

Chaos theory and Diabatic variables

This could be a long list..lol

NEVER Underestimate the power of stupidity!
P
P
For something simple, fun, educational,
& realistic what about an orbital mechanics simulator. "Dock the shuttle."
The results of thrust vectors applied are somewhat
anti-intuitive.
Pragmatist

"Lord, are we worthy of the task that lies before us,
....or are we just jerking off?"

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Simplify Uncle Als suggestion. It has merit, and is applicable to the present Space race.

Program for 3 different sized orbiting bodies. And plot the movement of the LaGrange points
over time.
That should be a doddle for a programmer like you.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
i would love to see some one creat a simulator that would show the effect of a space craft orbiting the moon with the peroge (sp? low point) just above the moon surface, and decelerating. just as it reaches that point.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.