Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
We used to make granite surfaces flat in exactly the same way as your optical grinding trick, Bill G.

In science we have precision optical granite benches and any precision machinist will have a granite surface plate and traditionally before the advent of surface grinders they were all built that way. It is now too slow to use the old manufacture technique.

We routinely use these surface plates which can be massive and they are flattened to laser precision and far beyond anything any Egyptian ever dreamed of.

There are millions of youtube videos from machining shops that will show you how and why they are used. You can probably also find the relapping and in situ calibration processes. Just use the search "granite surface plate" or just "surface plate".

Our Egyptian blocks aren't even in the same scale of flat of these sort of modern surface plates, so lets try and keep the claims to a realistic level. There pyramid blocks are pretty good for there time but they are nothing like modern surface plates.

So back to that thing we could easily build the pyramids many magnitudes better with modern science so what does it really matter how it was done aside from as a history footnote. If you look at the tolerances and size of the LHC it would be funny imagining in a few centuries from now people pondering how we built it.

Last edited by Orac; 01/25/16 09:21 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Orac
These guys had the wheel

Originally Posted By: Marchimedes
Really? That's news to me. Got any evidence of this?

Well if they didn't have the wheel we have a new mystery, how did they get their pottery so round?

That is one of the ways it is usually easy to spot the arrival of the wheels in an ancient civilization.

Hey I am not an Egyptian historian so probably ask them if they had pottery wheels because it certainly looks like it to me, but it is possible I am wrong.

However you might read up on Khnum and find what the children were made on, but I do concede that isn't a science source.

If they had pottery wheels they may not have thought of the simple step to turn it on it's side and make it bear load, side on. Very simple and obvious to us isn't it.

Last edited by Orac; 01/25/16 09:53 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
the Egyptians did have the wheel ... duhhh.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFw282O38SGC2hbKoRSOoSQ7mv1[/img]

cant even find a postable image anymore and with all the frickin marketing crap and the 500 tcp connections to my computer and my processor running at over 100% its almost impossible to even use the frickin internet at all.
I remember back in the 1980's and using a a 9Kb internet connection the browsing was lightning fast compared to the crappy assed browsing experience that the marketers have given us today.

my current connection speed = 8,000,000 bits/second
my 1980's connection speed = 9,000 bits / second

I had to program my own program in order to watch a
Netflix video because of all the marketing companies
and fartsniffers in general.
and the movies were constantly stalling and stopping from
all the processor and memory usage and data sending from the
thieves.

my 8Mb was maxed out using a regular browser.

now when I watch a Netflix movie using the program I had
to make I have only 10 tcp connections vs the 200 or so
using a regular browser and now a Netflix
movie requires a mere 0.75 Mb bandwidth ...

no more stalling , no more skipping around waiting for
the thieves to back off of the bandwidth so that
more of the movie can download.

not only do I write down the companies that pop up as I
browse so that I can have a reference to which products
I will never buy again but I also intend to start a
class action law suite to recoup my cost for the excess
electricity and bandwidth that these thieves are stealing every time I get on the internet.

in fact I think I will develop a program that detects the
companies involved using the tcp addresses of these thieves
and track the electricity and cpu and bandwidth consumption
that each company is stealing from me , and those desiring to participate in the law suit can download and install the program that reports the theft in real time and monitors
the amounts of monetary loss that each participant is
subjected to.

after all you do need some type of evidence to prove
that a theft has occurred.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
na na na nana ... frickin assholes.

as for Bill's brothers experience with grinding optics
knowing that they had the wheel and horses and horse drawn
vehicles this tells me that the stones were ground down
using large grinding wheels possibly powered by horses ... not men.

and since Egypt is in the continent of Africa where the largest known work animals reside (elephants) this tells
me that these blocks were lifted and transported and cut
and sculpted by machines built by the Egyptians that were powered by animals , not men.

the cut marks in the stones are solid evidence of technology
way beyond the pounding of a stone against a stone by hand.

they did have grinding mills , for grinding grains ...
and they don't look like oracs , so they did have brains.

hmmm , could we use a grinding mill to grind stone.....

we could replace thousands of workers with a single horse
or elephant.

unless we are a nay sayer like orac or a pig headed modern archeologist who cant see beneath the lies to discover the
truth that is slapping him in the face every day of his useless existence.

I say useless because if all you do is provide support for
the lies you have been taught then your existence is useless.

except to those who first told the lies.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
M
OP Offline
M

http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/?p=1059364179

This wheel thing is not a big deal to me. Even if they did have the wheel, evidence points them not, the materials of the day couldn't hold up to the sheer weight and ammount of use.

-

303/421,237

What? I've a drawing I want here. How I do that?
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
what is the difference between a block rolling on several
logs and a block rolling on several wheels?

same materials , you just don't need to have people
picking up the log at the back after the block has
rolled over it and bring it to the front.

they probably figured that one out also...

I don't ride horses, too expensive.

and theres plenty of evidence that the Egyptians
had wheels.

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp...Search+by+image

could these mysterious artifacts have been used as a form
to build wheels on in ancient Egypt?

maybe they really were sacrificial basins like is
mentioned on the image , that is the type of incomp
intelligence I would expect from a modern up to date by the book by the mainstream expectations archeologist at least.

or were they simply salad bowls?

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Paul, if your image is real then I would say they definitely knew how to build a load bearing wheel.

Which actually begs the question why did they roll the blocks on sticks. I guess it requires knowledge to know that you could use a pile of wheels to distribute any massive load and the ability to load it relatively flat. I love that TV series "monster moves" and the things they move.

The other answer, I guess is people power was a hell of a lot easier to obtain especially if you had slaves. That is just at odds for the romantic notion of the Egyptians. Is it actually settled that the workers were slaves?

Originally Posted By: machemedes
This wheel thing is not a big deal to me. Even if they did have the wheel, evidence points them not, the materials of the day couldn't hold up to the sheer weight and ammount of use.

Machemedes, you probably need to watch the tv series and the concept of distributing a load. I have seen images from my homeland of Alexander the great doing this trick and the Romans and other ancient civilizations have similar images.

I do however agree with you machemedes that there is no evidence of this.

So my question becomes why don't you use that same standard on your other idea of the water level? There is no evidence of that either.

My image above is the same as your image of an intestine a great illustration of how it might of been done but totally not helpful as to whether it was done.

Just the discussion this far, shows the slippery slope of attributing technology to civilizations without actual evidence. We now have our Egyptians using intestines as a levelling device and moving the huge blocks on multiple wheeled dollies. I am telling you we should be able to mount a case they had lasers levels as they have the key component being glass.

These sorts of discussions need the same burden of proof you can't chop and change. Not my thread machemedes but I think you need some consistency on how you approach this stuff.

Last edited by Orac; 01/26/16 03:09 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
The details of just how the Egyptians accomplished the things they did, such as building the pyramids, is still not completely clear. Some people seem to think that just because we would use some kind of modern technology to do it then the Egyptians couldn't have done it without that technology, so they had to have some secret unknown technology available. This of course is wrong. I personally have pointed out several pretty low tech ways to accomplish what they needed to do to build the pyramids. The whole thing about the Egyptians, and other ancient builders, is that they were just as smart as we are. So they just thought up ways to do it without high technology.

As far as the Egyptian work force was concerned we should recall that their farmers couldn't work on their farms for a large part of the year because the Nile flooded every year. During that period almost the whole population would have been available for manual labor. They didn't necessarily use slaves.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Ah the voice of reason a rare thing on this forum smile

However from that, I take it there is debate still about whether the workers were slaves or not?

I am being lazy saves me reading thru a whole lot of arguments from very dry boring ancient historians.

That probably says a lot about me and Egyptian civilization, I need to be careful with my bias smile

Mind you I am still recovering from the argument I recently ran into from supporters of my former masters that I am not Homo Erectus. I am descended from a species Homo Georgicus and therefore they are allowed to hate me because I am not human. I am not entirely sure how I feel about not being human there are definitely good and bad parts of the concept. Apparently our brain size was smaller so that probably explains why it's always me that is wrong.

Last edited by Orac; 01/26/16 05:08 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Mind you I am still recovering from the argument I recently ran into from supporters of my former masters that I am not Homo Erectus. I am descended from a species Homo Georgicus and therefore they are allowed to hate me because I am not human. I am not entirely sure how I feel about not being human there are definitely good and bad parts of the concept. Apparently our brain size was smaller so that probably explains why it's always me that is wrong.

Well, I doubt if you are Homo Erectus. However, if you were Homo Erectus that wouldn't make much difference, because there is a very good chance that H. Erectus is descended from H. Georgicus. Georgia would probably have been a stopping point on the trek from Africa to Asia.

However, I strongly suspect that you are Homo Sapiens. H. Sapiens evolved in Africa, from the species that didn't migrate out earlier. Those earlier migrations were the parents of H. Georgicus, H. Erectus, H. Denisovas, H. Florensiensus, H. Neandertalis, and possibly others. But then that doesn't mean you aren't descended in part from all of those others also. When H. Sapiens started spreading around the world he took in an occasional outsider and still retains some of their genes.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
what I cant understand is why would the invading armies
need to use the battering ram depicted in the below image
its obvious from the size of the door that the peoples
inside the fortified structure were midgets and the invaders
were clearly tall enough to simply step over the walls.

also: everyone should know that the ancient self serving
peoples mostly always carved pictures into stone
of things that never happened way back then because
they had nothing better to do with their time so they
invented these pictures to make it appear that they
did accomplish things at times or at least did try to.

battering rams were usually very heavy and these people
could not possibly have had the technology to cut down
a tree to use as a battering ram and if they did then
they certainly would not have wanted the battering ram
to roll very fast ... what would be the point of that?

and history archeologist have so rightfully
explained to us just how stupid these ancient peoples
were and how the best way to move something is to use
several thousands of people to pull the battering ram with ropes into the door but in my opinion because Im not certain that they were smart enough to make a rope as rope making would have been way above their technological ability
... I believe that instead of using ropes , they simply
held each others hands and pulled on the tree until the
door opened up or the midgets opened the door out of pity.

so the wheels under the battering ram were added through some
misguided inventors imagination as he was thinking of some
way to make it appear that they actually accomplished things
of notability.

I certainly did not fall for this one.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, if your image is real then I would say they definitely knew how to build a load bearing wheel.

Im a little curious , does your browser have the ability
to do a search?

do you require empirical evidence?

how about a chariot found inside Tutankhamun's tomb?

Quote:
One of the evidences of chariot are the actual object which was found in the tombs. During the New Kingdom, deceased was buried often with his personal goods for the use in his afterlife.

The famous example of complete chariot comes from the tomb of Tutankhamun which is now displayed in Cairo, Egyptian Museum. Complete Chariot was also found in the non-royal tomb which belongs to Yuya and Thuya and some fragments which belongs to a chariot was found in the tomb of Tuthmose IV.

http://900090724.weebly.com/evidence.html

chariots had been around awhile when the above chariot was
built as the first Egyptian chariots had only four spokes in
the wheel.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul
Im a little curious , does your browser have the ability to do a search?

LOL do you not read stuff, Machemedes has screen shoted and linked what comes up when you do. Let me take the liberty of just pulling the image and not put it on a link

So an internet search will yield the first few links clearly say they didn't have the wheel.

Sometimes you need to bother to read things and not just argue or try to score points because it's me.

do you require empirical evidence?

Yes I always require empirical evidence it's what I do and the example above is why smile

how about a chariot found inside Tutankhamun's tomb?

That would be empirical evidence which contradicts the search results.

Wikipedia under Ancient Egyptian Technology also disagrees with itself on the main Egyptian page that they didn't have the wheel and says this

Originally Posted By: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_technology
Evidence indicates that Egyptians made use of potter's wheels in the manufacturing of pottery from as early as the 4th Dynasty. Chariots, however, are only believed to have been introduced by the invasion of the Hyksos in the Second Intermediate period; during the New Kingdom era, chariotry became central to Egypt's military.

My suspicion is the pottery wheel dates even earlier based on my peoples history but I guess they have no direct evidence.

Last edited by Orac; 01/27/16 01:10 AM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, I doubt if you are Homo Erectus. However, if you were Homo Erectus that wouldn't make much difference, because there is a very good chance that H. Erectus is descended from H. Georgicus. Georgia would probably have been a stopping point on the trek from Africa to Asia.

It was intended as a racist rant against me Bill G a bit like calling me a monkey or ape.

I am Caucasian and that isn't the white American type in a police report but the Caucasian people type (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_of_the_Caucasus). That bit usually confuses many Americans.

Those who consider being ethnically Russian important will have issues with me.

M
OP Offline
M
Like I care.

Seen these most recent posts of mine? All sober. I have tomorrow off. Guess what?

I always ask/point this out. I ain't no stinkin drunk, I'm a binge drinker. Last time was Jan 21. I think. What do I know? I was drunk. First indication with me is that I tend to go on and on and on.

And on.

12/21/15 "What is the mass of a photon?" Completely hammered.

12/22? Sober. Drinking two(2) days in a row is death.

Well, I appreciate all the sudden posts in this thread. Bothers me not that it staves off the posting of theory. I am Marchimedes and I take on all comers.

I should take on all posts in the order that they come but one phrase gets my attention...

frickin assholes.

This is allowed here? It's not like I'm narcing you out here, paul, it's there for all to see. Thing is, I'm admin at a political debate forum with hardly any rules. I'm a nasty piece of work. Left and right both, they fear me. To those idiots my behavior here would be unrecognizable.

I'm confusified as to the rules. Please to for to clarify these things for me. No, I ain't gonna change my behavior here, at worse I would...

http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/?p=1059365764

I like this site. I try not to screw my stay here up.

Now, remember back at the beginning of this post me saying sumpin about me going on and on and on when I've gotten to drinkin?

Ya'll savvy yet?

-

So now I have to go deal with the wheel.

-

Not only am I the smartest man alive I am also the world's foremost authority on pyramid construction.

I have the patience of Job.

I am far from done with dealing with pyramids.

Then comes obelisks.

-

Then, the thread title. I took that up long ago. That's correct, expanding univerce.

Anybody see this, my thread, slowing down any time soon?

-

A question I also ask at my political site: Who has more fun with all this than I?

Gotta love what you do, man. This is my hobby. Imagine what I am like with real life and my work?

-

So who is the next victim?

Marchimedes #55278 01/27/16 04:41 AM
M
OP Offline
M
an amazing ablility to swill buku hooch and still get the simple point across.

Spelling? Not so much.

This IS the Marchimedes thread.

It's 11:00 PM and now I have to deal with the permeablility of earth?

I have to draw friggin images?

And I have to do all this to get through the crap to get to the point where I am back on point?

Damn straight I do. If I didn't this wouldn't be no stinkin Marchimedes thread. Patience of Job.

Here's how it works for me, I can get kinda hammered, deal with stuff, then I get kinda bored with it. This is where I am at right now. I know from experience that I can power through this stage and then it's look out time.

Ya'll know I can do it sober. Ya'll know I can do it hammered. It's one thing to be able to do it sober. It's an entirely different thing to be able to get the job done bent.

-

I don't have a clue as to how to post youtubes at this site. I do this thing at my political site. The why of the political youtubes is a given. But often I do youtubes of what the music I'm listening to at the time. It's a state of mind thing. Right now I'm Evanescence Fallen. just that chicks voice puts me in a state of mind that I would enjoy making her an aquantance of mine. I am a straight man.

-

I'm turning the corner on the bored with it part.

-

Now I have to go draw sumpin and get full bore on a dude I don't hate.

-

Also. I don't proof read my posts, nor spell check them. This is consiousness streaming.

Would that ya'll could be so honest.

Now I have to go do work. That is one(1) reason why I dominate.

Might get a tad ugly now.

paul #55279 01/27/16 06:46 AM
M
OP Offline
M
you wouldn't need an air feed as the ground itself that surrounds the pyramid will feed air down to the surface of
the ground water,

Evanescence Fallen is over. Right now I'm gonna go with Megadeth Peace Sells.

Seems to me I've went over this already, seems to me I've made an image...

paul, if I have to splain that image, if I have to craft new images to splain that image, I Mutha f'ing guarentee you are gonna look like a dumbazz.

This is plumbing. Marchimedes does not splain plumbing.

-

All change, Metallica Load.

-

Poeple, I done proved just how friggin smart I am long time ago, just how far outside of the box I think. This thread long ago went far past how smart I am. When I am not named Marchimedes my prefered screen name is teacher. I'm not here to kick your teeth in or prove how smart I am or how stupid you are. So you are not as smart as I am. Cry me a river. Know what sucks for me? I don't get to find anyone more smarterer than me and follow that guy around asking him questions.

What ya'll unwashed masses should be doing is picking my brain. I only have so much time on this, God's Green Earth. Maybe, just maybe, one of you idiots will come up with sumpin I ain't considered that I deem worthy and will lose sleep over.

I am smarter than the sum lot of you.

My ingelligence is a human resource that I can bank. I can cash out on pyramids or the universe right this friggin second.

Tell me I can't. Tell me I don't have the gift of gab. Tell me I can't dominate whatever site I choose to land on. Tell me I don't have the numbers. I'm a flake, man. I give fresh for free.

No one can asail my intent. I ask or nuttin but views.

For me to fail in my long term plan I'm gonna have to drop dead.

This is a science thread that I started about the universe. I'm presently busy with the moving and stacking of blocks.

I haven't gone large about the universe longtime. I see infinate space in my skull, my minds eye, easy like. The drawing of moving and stacking of heavy blocks, after all the years of thought, is just a well run job site.

-

See what I said about going on and on?

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
paul, if I have to splain that image, if I have to craft new images to splain that image, I Mutha f'ing guarentee you are gonna look like a dumbazz.

This is plumbing. Marchimedes does not splain plumbing.

the image that you posted had a air feed depicted
on it that fed directly to the well casing.

if you do that to a well casing then the pump or vacuum
will suck the air from the air feed and you never will
pump any water.

why would you need a air feed in the first place
when the water source in the well is obviously
ground water that already has a natural air feed
through the ground permeation of rain water and local
sources of permeation from nearby rivers and streams.

I was simply pointing out that a air feed would not be
needed since the water well is already there along with
water in the well.

perhaps you should have drawn another line and labeled it
as the natural water table level vs the line drawn
directly to the well casing.

a well casing is much like a drinking straw.
they don't work very well with holes in them.

if you feel a need to make another drawing to attempt to
make me look like a dumbass then that's fine by me but
many have tried to accomplish that feat and all have failed.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

I understand that there are many nay sayers that have
posted their comments on the internet that lead people
to believe that the Egyptians did not have the wheel
and those people are probably serving lip or they are
part of the professional archeological demise of history.

to me though , if chariots are found INSIDE the tombs of
several of the pharaohs that seals my belief that chariots were in common use in Egypt as the pyramids were being constructed if the pyramids were intended as burial places
for those pharaohs ... and that also tells me that the Egyptians had the wheel for quite some time as the wheels found on the chariots inside the tombs had advanced 6 spoke
wheels on them.

connections.

james burke.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
to me though , if chariots are found INSIDE the tombs of
several of the pharaohs that seals my belief that chariots were in common use in Egypt as the pyramids were being constructed if the pyramids were intended as burial places
for those pharaohs ... and that also tells me that the Egyptians had the wheel for quite some time as the wheels found on the chariots inside the tombs had advanced 6 spoke
wheels on them.

The question here is: when did the Egyptians get wheels? If the chariots you mention are from the tombs in the Valley of the Kings they are from the New Kingdom, from the 16th to the 11th century BCE. The Pyramids date from the Old and Middle Kingdoms. The Middle Kingdom ended around 1700 BCE. So having a chariot in one of those tombs does not prove that the Egyptians had the wheel during the construction of the pyramid.

And of course having the wheel would not necessarily indicate that it was used in the construction of the pyramids. It would take an enormous quantity of wheels to build a transporter for stones the size used in the pyramids. The more likely way is to use people pulling on ropes. People were generally available and the technology was well within the capability of the Egyptians of the time. Ramps are easy to construct, given enough manual laborers to carry the dirt. So I will say that, while I might be wrong, I figure it was done by large groups of people with ropes.

Bill Gill

Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.