Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Call me a heretic but I haven't seen evidence of them sneaky Egyptians inventing the first hoses, especially since given the above they need to be at least semi transparent. What were they using intestines all neatly stitched together?

I could buy the reverse process using a channel with water to establish a level and using a stick to measure up off it but hey we all know the aliens built those pyramids smile

Last edited by Orac; 01/18/16 04:37 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
why would you need hoses?

I know that many archeologist would have them cutting
the solid stone using birds feathers as saws.

I don't think like they do , I think the Egyptians that
built the pyramids were really smart , I also don't think the Egyptians that resurfaced everything built the pyramids.

but for a water leveler to have been used back then should
have been no problem , wood , reeds , solid gold ...
could have been used to make one.

people just don't give the Egyptians enough credit where
credit is clearly due.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul
people just don't give the Egyptians enough credit where credit is clearly due.

No people are realistic and although smart for there time the educated Egyptian elite had about the knowledge of a low level school student today.

As simple as some things are that people suggest the Egyptians could have done there is simply no evidence such things ever crossed there minds. Your simple involves centuries of science which was taught to you when you were a child.

There simply is no evidence such a device above ever existed. As simple as it is there is technology behind that is centuries away and the Egyptians show no evidence of having understood it.

Using your romantic idea on how we should view Egyptians. These guys had the wheel so why don't we just say they built big carts to move the blocks. They also have beams, trusses and ropes, so why don't we say they built cranes to lift the blocks. They have glass so in theory they can build a laser. So there you have the answer the Egyptians moved the blocks on big carts, craned them into position using laser positioning technology and that is how they built the pyramids so well .... TO EASY smile

Call me a cynic but history records the Egyptians spent a lot of time positioning some blocks for some mummified dead people and were reasonable farmers. However when they encountered the Roman empire they were completely defeated and annexed as a territory. Whatever technology they had the Romans was better. All anyone now gets to see or remember of the civilization is the positioned blocks, mummies and trinkets ... but the romance lives on.

Last edited by Orac; 01/19/16 03:34 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
heres a little evidence that shows that the Egyptians
used high tech tools , and let me add that even your
entire quantum realm and all of the magicians apprentices could not accomplish such exactness today...

.00005 ... 5/100,000 th of an inch.

there is evidence that is there today , its just that
incomps such as yourself tend to shy from it because
of their low level education and inability to see through
the lies that they have implanted into their low level
minds.

http://www.gizapower.com/LoTeAnArticle.htm

like it or not , there it is.

I know that your kind doesn't like or agree with
reality even as it is slapping you in the face because
you fear peer pressure.

even though your currently deeply engulfed in a social
community that is peer pressure driven and controlled
through its use of lies and illusion and parlor tricks
to attract new gullible members into its ranks , I tend
to believe that exposure to the reality of the lies used
in other social communities such as archeology may shed
a little light for future guidance.

I am only including this video as a reference to the
cutting tools used to cut stone with when the pyramids
were built.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
In one of the crypts there is a granite box with a broken corner, and this box is accessible by means of steps down to the lower floor. The outside of the box appears to be roughly finished, but the glint of a high polish on the inside surfaces beckoned me to climb inside. Running my hand along the surface of the granite reminded me of the thousands of times I have run my hand along a granite surface plate when I was working as a machinist and later as a tool and die maker. The feel of the stone was no different, though I was not sure of its flatness or accuracy. To check my impression, I placed the edge of my precision-ground parallel against the surface—and I saw that it was dead flat. There was no light showing through the interface of the steel and the stone, as there would be if the surface was concave, and the steel did not rock back and forth, as it would if the surface was convex. To put it mildly, I was astounded. I did not expect to find such exactitude, because this order of precision is not necessary for the sarcophagus of a bull—or any other animal or human.

There is an old and well established method of making flat surfaces. You take 3 items and start rubbing them against each other with some kind of grinding compound. If you are careful you can achieve a very flat surface. You need 3 because if you use just 2 you will wind up with one concave and one convex surface. By switching the among 3 items you can make sure that the concave/convex surfaces are worn out by working them against each other.

Nothing that is extremely difficult or beyond the Egyptian technology. I suggest you try reading "The Ancient Engineers" by L. Sprague de Camp if you can find a copy. It explains a number of things that some consider "impossible" for the people at that time.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Will add that to me reading list Bill G. I do however agree there really isn't much to most of these great achievements. What I find fascinating is the romance of Egyptian history with certain Western groups and Internet junkies and I guess Paul is in that group.

I guess for me I will never understand why they bother worrying about these old details. If I was allowed to squander the vast proportion of my civilizations wealth on laying blocks accurately then I am pretty sure I could do it better than the Egyptians.

It seems to escape in the romance of the Egyptians, that here was a civilization that spent most of its wealth building bigger and bigger hills so it's leaders could try and become immortal and the most powerful afterlife being.

So I guess my questions to you Paul

1.) Am I supposed to admire Egyptian civilization or just admire it's achievements in being able to place some blocks accurately?

2.) Taking the most extreme claims of what the Egyptians could do, the technology to lay blocks has disappeared and why should I care? I have never needed to lay blocks in any greater accuracy than I can using modern methods.

I guess the underlying issue for me is the Egyptians don't have any qualities I remotely admire, I detest everything about there civilization. In fact they pretty much look like my former masters where everyone suffers so those at the top can do what they like.

Last edited by Orac; 01/24/16 02:07 AM.

paul #55241 01/24/16 02:07 PM
M
OP Offline
M
thought you might be interested in this.

solid blocks of rock , pitch (like tar) , a water well
at the bottom , a fire chamber / chambers.

you light a fire , the oxygen becomes consumed and
you get a vacuum , the vacuum draws water from the
water well and pulls water up into the passageways
of the pyramid and then steam pressure as the fire
is extinguished by the rising water from the well.

seriously have a look.

Among other things, I are a plumber. I have a problem with this theory.

upload a gif

Swell, what with the small images this site allows me, again. There's a work around. At the political debate forum where I hold sway large images are allowed. So I just posted that image there at a size that can be read. There I'm linking to here and here I'm linking to there so it should all be fair. I've done this here and there many times so this should not be a problem.

Fair warning: That is a political debate forum and I am a Libertarian. If you have delicate sensabilities do not stray from the posted links as I destroy liberals with extream prejudice. It's very ugly, more ugly than you can possibly image. I make Ann Coulter look like a big softie and I am undefeated going back to 2007. The title of my thread there is "... and the horse you rode in on." So, when you see the following image that is warning that the link after said image is taking you to the horse thread...

http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/?p=1059363100

Sorry, if I could figure out a way to do all this here I would do so. Also, I have requested multiple times of the powers that be here for some help and I am always summarily ignored.

What's a fellow to do?

I've found some more old pyramid construction images so likely later I'll be doing the same thing some more. This site only allows such small images that I just don't see any other way. Like I said, one site is a political forum and the other a science forum so I don't see conflict.

What? I've a drawing I want here. How I do that?
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Bill
Nah! If you did that it would leave the inside all wet. That would cause the grain stored in it to spoil.

Bill Gill

Ha, funny, I get that one. Yea, when Ben Carson went there that was extreamly stupid. I mean, what with the cubic volume of the chambers in the pyramid how much friggin grain could one store?

M
OP Offline
M
I'll be honest with you, I don't like this guy, this Orac. I say he's a malcontent, a bomb thrower, a naysayer, what some sites would call a troll. He brings nuttin to my thread, his posts are swill that have not been thought through. Many folks are of the mindset that one should just ignore trolls, don't feed them, but Marchimedes takes on all comers even though dealing with such nonsence sets back my busy and impotent work.

Originally Posted By: Orac
Call me a heretic but I haven't seen evidence of them sneaky Egyptians inventing the first hoses,

One of the things that has stymied mankind for thousands of years concerning how the pyramids may have been constructed is the total lack of evidence as to the construction methods. I say this was intended. Proprietary knowledge. If the Egyptians had told everyone how they were built, then everyone could build one and the pyramids would then lose their uniquness. Why would the use of intestine hoses be any different? Besides, intestines are not would you would call unbiodegraable.

Quote:
especially since given the above they need to be at least semi transparent.

Looks pretty friggin semi transparent to me.

See what I mean by orac not thinking things through?

Quote:
What were they using intestines all neatly stitched together?

Why would they need to be stiched together? To the google cave...

40 meters. Long enough for you? Plenty long for me.

Quote:
I could buy the reverse process using a channel with water to establish a level and using a stick to measure up off it

Then where are all these channels at? Even if they were just using channels for the leveling of the pyramid base then they have to dig buku channels and level the stone down to the water level of the channel or use...

lookie there, a stick. A stick that doesn't require the extra work of digging a channel.

I take it, Orac, that you are not very handy around the house with tools. I bet you have trouble buttering toast.

Quote:
but hey we all know the aliens built those pyramids smile

Oh look, a sence-o-humor. There's hope for you yet.

M
OP Offline
M

Clever, eh?

why would you need hoses?

Can we please just call them what they were, intestines instead of hoses?

Quote:
I think the Egyptians that
built the pyramids were really smart ,

I'm with you there.

Quote:
I also don't think the Egyptians that resurfaced everything built the pyramids.

Make your case.

Quote:
but for a water leveler to have been used back then should
have been no problem , wood , reeds , solid gold ...
could have been used to make one.

Why go through all that when there were plenty of intestines at hand?

Quote:
people just don't give the Egyptians enough credit where
credit is clearly due.

So I'm not people now?

Orac #55245 01/24/16 04:15 PM
M
OP Offline
M
people just don't give the Egyptians enough credit where credit is clearly due.

No people are realistic and although smart for there time the educated Egyptian elite had about the knowledge of a low level school student today.

I don't see any low level school students building any pyramids or coming up with plausible theories on how to.

Quote:
As simple as some things are that people suggest the Egyptians could have done there is simply no evidence such things ever crossed there minds.

And there's no evidence such things didn't cross their minds.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

One thing does remain though, the pyramids. They were built, question is how. Remember, I don't claim that my theory, twiwdi, (the way I would do it), is how the pyramids were built. I've just come up with a way it could have been done and I ain't seeing anyone tell me where I'm wrong.

Gonna skip a little of Orac's swill as it's redundent and has been already shot down.

Quote:
These guys had the wheel

Really? That's news to me. Got any evidence of this?

Quote:
so why don't we just say they built big carts to move the blocks.

And what sort of materials could said carts have been made of given that some of the blocks used to build the pyramids weighed up to 80 tons?

Quote:
They also have beams, trusses and ropes, so why don't we say they built cranes to lift the blocks.

They could have. It is said they did have the pully, but again what do you make a pully out of that can stand such stresses? Then consider that the pyramid is made from 2.3 million blocks averaging 2 1/2 tons. So you don't have to pick each block up once. There's I think some 209 levels to the pyramid. Do the math.

Quote:
They have glass so in theory they can build a laser.

You start your post saying that the Egyptian elite had the level of a low level school student yet now you have them building lasers?

Quote:
Call me a cynic but history records the Egyptians spent a lot of time positioning some blocks for some mummified dead people

The Pharaohs were a tad more than just some dead people. To the Egyptians they were gods on earth.

Quote:
and were reasonable farmers.

Bought time you got sumpin correct.

Quote:
However when they encountered the Roman empire they were completely defeated and annexed as a territory. Whatever technology they had the Romans was better.

The height of the Egyptian Empire was somewhere around 1,400 BC. The height of the Roman Empire was somewhere around 100 AD. So...

Quote:
All anyone now gets to see or remember of the civilization is the positioned blocks, mummies and trinkets ... but the romance lives on.

Not so much romance to me. More like I'm trying to figure how they worked a well run job site.

-

You know, Orac, if you are looking for a nice intellectual beatdown this is the thread for you. But if you think you have the mental capacity to play in my sandbox you are WAY outta your league.

M
OP Offline
M
heres a little evidence that shows that the Egyptians used high tech tools

There is an old and well established method of making flat surfaces.

I'm gonna skip over these posts as I am in the process of coming up with methods to do these things on my own, simple blue collar ways using what we know the Egyptians had at hand. I find when I get to reading these things it's pollutes my simple thought process.

I have ideas on all these things but whenever I start to draw them up I come up with more stuff so I have to mull it all over in my idiot savant skull meat. I'm at the same place concerning the fabrication and placement of the casing stones. Also, I'm very lazy, not too ambitious, easily distracted and I figure I have yet decades to live and finish this up.

It doesn't help none that today is football day.

M
OP Offline
M
I do however agree there really isn't much to most of these great achievements.

Naysaying malcontent.

Quote:
What I find fascinating is the romance of Egyptian history with certain Western groups and Internet junkies and I guess Paul is in that group.

Wicked sorry our hobbies don't meet your high standard of things that people besides you should do with their own time.

Quote:
I guess for me I will never understand why they bother worrying about these old details.

I guess for me I will never understand why you bother worrying so much about that which you pretend not to care about.

Quote:
If I was allowed to squander the vast proportion of my civilizations wealth on laying blocks accurately then I am pretty sure I could do it better than the Egyptians.

"I could but I choose not to."

Ya'll wouldn't believe how many times I've heard that one.

Quote:
It seems to escape in the romance of the Egyptians, that here was a civilization that spent most of its wealth building bigger and bigger hills so it's leaders could try and become immortal and the most powerful afterlife being.

Sumpin else that doesn't meet your high standards.

Go figure.

What ever the reasons, hubris, intentions of the Egyptians to build these constructs never the less the pyramids are still there.

Quote:
I guess the underlying issue for me is the Egyptians don't have any qualities I remotely admire, I detest everything about there civilization.

I gots to ask: Is English your first language?

and...

is there anything you do admire?

Quote:
In fact they pretty much look like my former masters where everyone suffers so those at the top can do what they like.

So, Bernie or Hillary and what should the income tax rate be for the highest earners?

-

Well, that was a bunch of housekeeping to get behind me. Here's were we at...

291/539,204

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Marchimedes

Then where are all these channels at? Even if they were just using channels for the leveling of the pyramid base then they have to dig buku channels and level the stone down to the water level of the channel or use...

The simplest water level for this type of work would be a mud gutter filled with water. Build it along side what you want to level and check the level of the construction against the water level. Hauling mud to make the gutters is nothing compared to moving all those stones. And then it is easy to remove the mud to let the construction be seen.

As far as moving big stones. If you get enough people on it you can move just about anything. The Egyptians had a big enough work force to move the stones, and knew how to build ramps to drag them up to the level at which they were being installed.

No it isn't. He has said that before and it is implied by his comment about his 'former masters'.

Bill Gill

M
OP Offline
M

The simplest water level for this type of work would be a mud gutter filled with water. Build it along side what you want to level and check the level of the construction against the water level. Hauling mud to make the gutters is nothing compared to moving all those stones. And then it is easy to remove the mud to let the construction be seen.

Am I the only Swinging Richard at this site that has ever worked with his hands?

Does no one understand the concept of using animal intestines as a water level?

How can building and tearing down a mud gutter be as easy as taking intestines out of a bucket and holding the ends up to a stone?

Quote:
As far as moving big stones. If you get enough people on it you can move just about anything. The Egyptians had a big enough work force to move the stones,

I gots the moving and stacking of the heavy stones. Just as simple as all the other stuff. It's just that those drawings are long gone so i have to do them over again. I HATE that.

Quote:
and knew how to build ramps to drag them up to the level at which they were being installed.

Why would you drag sumpin when you can pull stones on top of rollers?

Quote:
No it isn't. He has said that before and it is implied by his comment about his 'former masters'.

Ah. Why do I get the feeling that his former masters last names rhyme with words like "Astro" or "Spavez" or "Sputin?"

Did you see where a long time ago Orac started in with the nasty on me, I finished it and called him an Obama voter and Amaranth Rose II came in and yelled at me first?

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
you wouldn't need an air feed as the ground itself that
surrounds the pyramid will feed air down to the surface of
the ground water , and the vacuum is produced by removing
oxygen from the air as the fire burns.

and since there is a water well at the bottom of the pyramid
then the vacuum ( caused by the fire ) would pull water up into the passageways.

the water would not lift with the heat rising from the fire
and its a good thing that I didn't say that it would.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Those taken of me inside one of these huge boxes show me inspecting the squareness between a 27 ton lid

Quote:
You take 3 items and start rubbing them against each other

27 tons = 54,000 pounds.

rough cut granite that does not have a smooth surface

I would guess that each of the men pulling the lid back
and forth might be capable of applying 100 pounds of pull

that's 540 men for each pull back and forth

that's 1080 men

but you said that the stones would need to be rubbed together
so the rubbing stone would need to be larger than the stone
being rubbed.

and remember the Egyptians would have used rope.

that rope must have been really large to bear a 54,000 pound
stress on it from the stone itself.

I would really love to see this one feat accomplished by
all the archeologist on earth gathered and forced to use
only rope to grind rough cut granite into the same precision
that is found on this 27 ton lid ....

I wonder how long it would take them to do things the
way that they would have us believe that things were done?

oops , we haven't even discussed the inside of the granite box
yet .... how would you maneuver the other 2 stones back and forth inside the granite box?

there is a point where some methods just would not work
and this is one of those points.

and then we haven't even scratched the surface of the
ramses 2 sculpture with mirrored precision on each side
of the face.

how do you rub stones to make perfectly matching sides of
a sculptured face?

300 tons = 600,000 pounds

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Ah. Why do I get the feeling that his former masters last names rhyme with words like "Astro" or "Spavez" or "Sputin?"

You would be correct my former masters were Russian, but I am not Russian a concept that sometimes seems to escape some especially in the USA.

Did you see where a long time ago Orac started in with the nasty on me

Nasty ... I just disagree totally with you and that makes me not your friend? Do you know the fable of The Fox and the Crow?

On the other side I am open to changing my opinion on things, something most on here are not. I am can also sometimes be wrong, as opposed to most on the forum who are never wrong. It was dangerous to be too insistent on being "right" in my upbringing.

You might guess my education is what you call may call the "comrade school of learning" and that they didn't paint a good picture of pharaohs. You can probably guess how Egyptian civilization is regarded by communists or socialists.

So maybe I am just brainwashed or maybe I just genuinely can't find a single thing to admire or like about this civilization.

I finished it and called him an Obama voter and Amaranth Rose II came in and yelled at me first?

You completely lost me. Is there something good or bad about being a Obama voter? The fact AR2 intervened makes it sound like an insult but I can't understand it much less be offended by it. So would it be something like calling me a "commie", which has happened to me. With my life history it was a rather funny and didn't quite get the insult effect intended ... probably like calling a Jew a Nazi sympathizer.

I guess an interesting question to Paul and Marchimedes might be have you ever been to the Cahokia Mounds in Illinois? How was that done? There are similar questions much closer to home.

Last edited by Orac; 01/25/16 03:29 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
For creating the flats the 3 stones need to be the same size. I haven't ever seen anybody make a flat, but I did see my brother make a telescope mirror. He started with 2 flat round pieces of glass. The he put a drop of water and some grinding compound on the bottom glass and started walking around the stand he made for it. He did that for hours and hours, a couple of hours a day for many days. When he finished he had a spherical convex tool and spherical concave mirror. Both of them were extremely smooth, good enough that he silvered the mirror to use in his telescope. As far as moving a big stone, all you have to do is to get it moderately flat. You can do that with a hammer, which can be made of stone. Then you lubricate the surfaces between them. That way you don't need nearly as much force.

As far as the inside of the box is concerned. If you can make a small flat, or straight stick, you can use that to check the flatness of the inside of the box. Then you very carefully start polishing the inside frequently checking to make sure it is flat. Places where it isn't you concentrate on grinding flat. This is called craftsmanship. As I said, I have not seen anybody doing this, but I have sanded things smooth and flat. Actually I have sanded something curved, the rockers on an antique rocking chair. With care you can get extremely good results, just working by hand. There is no need for elaborate equipment.

You asked a few posts back about why the Egyptians would continue to use bronze tools to cut rock for a long time span. Well, there is a simple answer: They worked. In fact other than changing to steel as it became generally available the same techniques were used by stone masons right up into the last century. I expect they are still used in many cases.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Whoops I missed one point.
Originally Posted By: Paul
how do you rub stones to make perfectly matching sides of
a sculptured face?

Very carefully. Actually you start with a chisel. After all that was what Michelangelo used when he created his statue of David.

Bill Gill

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.