Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I have a patent that involves creating electricity from explosives and gravity. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any other ideas to create electricity from explosives. There are three basic concepts. The first basic concept is to blast a cannonball up into the air catch it where gravity pauses it then use the weight of the cannonball to pull down on an elevator type generator until the ball is back to where you shot it from at which point you can re load the cannon and start the process all over again. So you re using explosives as the fuel in the system.
The second method is instead of using a cannonball as the weight you can fill the cannon with water and blast the water weight into the air which I ve experimented with using fireworks as the explosive and a soup can in the ground as the cannon and I observed that an explosion set off inside a water cannon squeezes the water inside against the walls of the cannon causing the water to shoot straight up pretty high into the air . Now one of the advantages of using a water cannon is you can build it several hundred feet wide and deep enabling one to use a much larger explosive say a fission or fusion explosive to clear the water out.
And yet another method in the patent involves pre cutting the earth in a way that you can detonate an underground explosive and pop the piece of pre cut material right out of the ground ,a generator could then be operated lowering the weight or other weight back into the ground. I ve also proven this works using fireworks and it works really well comparing the weight to the crater i made with a fireworks surface blast. This method could make use of hundreds of millions even billions of killowatts from a single fusion explosive. This method also has limited amount of fallout because the single piece of precut material absorbs most of the blast energy related to fallout. This would be important if using a fission primary fusion explosive to remove the piece of earth.
so anyone can look up the full patent by google searching trevor hawthorne and patentscope

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
ROFL in this day an age getting hold of enough explosive to keep your power plant going would be interesting smile

Whilst your patent is funny it doesn't go close to the funniest I have seen to generate electricity which was lodged by Boeing
http://www.google.com/patents/US9068562

In the middle of the engine is a fusion chamber, the lasers focused on a single point which contains a pellet containing a mix of deuterium and tritium. The pellet is vapourized and implodes and causes the hydrogen atoms to fuse. The fusion causes a massive displacement of hot particles and including fast neutrons. Don't worry however you are shielded as a passenger by a casing of uranium-238 in the engine to stop them killing the passengers.

Ignoring how you replace the pellet and cycle the the thing this sucker ejects radioactivity (in the form of plutonium) from those particles hitting the shield and if it ever crashed you would have your own ready made dirty bomb. Now that would take some beating for most stupid patented ideas.

Can I suggest mentos and diet coke as a safer alternative laugh

Last edited by Orac; 11/17/15 12:56 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
T
OP Offline
T
Ignoring how you replace the pellet and cycle the the thing
Originally Posted By: Orac
ROFL in this day an age getting hold of enough explosive to keep your power plant going would be interesting smile

Whilst your patent is funny it doesn't go close to the funniest I have seen to generate electricity which was lodged by Boeing
http://www.google.com/patents/US9068562

In the middle of the engine is a fusion chamber, the lasers focused on a single point which contains a pellet containing a mix of deuterium and tritium. The pellet is vapourized and implodes and causes the hydrogen atoms to fuse. The fusion causes a massive displacement of hot particles and including fast neutrons. Don't worry however you are shielded as a passenger by a casing of uranium-238 in the engine to stop them killing the passengers.

Ignoring how you replace the pellet and cycle the the thing this sucker ejects radioactivity (in the form of plutonium) from those particles hitting the shield and if it ever crashed you would have your own ready made dirty bomb. Now that would take some beating for most stupid patented ideas.

Can I suggest mentos and diet coke as a safer alternative laugh

T
OP Offline
T
yeah but it works with an efficiency of 2-40%. Show me just one other example of a fusion fueled power generating system with those types of efficiency's. You can't. You know why? cause there are none! Edward Teller couldn't think of one. His idea was to collect heat from explosions with circulating a type of salt inside a closed steel container. wikipedia's idea is to use abandoned mines filled with water to try to collect heat. No one has ever thought to convert blast energy into kinetic energy stored in the weight into electricity before.This system will still be used for thousands, even millions of years from now in combination with lasers. And at raw material cost I seriously doubt the energy required to do refining and cutting and the cost of the materials would add up to be more then the energy you create from using the described method.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Can I suggest mentos and diet coke as a safer alternative

Diet Coke is safer, as long as you don't drink it.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
You people don't seem to be taking this seriously. Here somebody has come up with a new and extremely inefficient way to generate power and all you do is poke fun at it.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
I agree the overal idea is efficient. Generating power with explosions is already finetuned within combustion engines. End its highly poluting, more then coal, gas etc..

But your "hole in the ground + plug" idea would work perfectly if its near shore and you have the water which comes in with the tide to make the giant plug go up and down.

Just research where the tide difference is the highest (and has a market for selling electicity), how you want to convert the movement to energy, the initial starting cost, maintanace coste. And expected power production.
then you you will have your answer if its feasible or not

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.