Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
The Pharyngula blog on Science Blogs has an article about some philosophers take on Biodiversity. I am horrified at what goes on in philosophy departments, personally.

It seems that the philosopher wants to gently destroy all predators, so that the prey animals won't be subject to the agony of being killed by the predators. I find it hard to believe that anybody could seriously suggest such a thing. It is one of the more ridiculous proposals I have heard of.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
That's one of those articles that you start reading, then look again at the date to see if it is Apr. 1st.

As John McEnroe used to say: "You cannot be serious!"

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Predators keep the balance. Without the lion the gazelle would not run so fast, the zebra would not have stripes, and the giraffe would not gallop so quickly across the savanna. Predators eliminate the weak, the infirm, the aged, the slow and thus preserve the health of the prey population. It is ridiculous to remove all predators. The prey species would undergo a population explosion, exceed the carrying capacity of the land, and fall into sickness and mass starvation. What a ridiculous idea in the first place.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I got to thinking about this. It looks like to me that the author of that idea has gotten carried away with his great idea. He is a vegan, and he is convinced that for us to eat meat is wrong. So he tries extend that to all life. This seems to be a problem with people who get great ideas. They try to apply the idea to all situations, when they don't work for all situations. They refuse to look at how the world really works and want to force it to work their way. It is an example of extreme refusal to accept the first thing that we really need to think when we develop a new idea. We are probably wrong and we need to look carefully at the idea from all directions to prove we are wrong. If we can't disprove it for ourselves we may be right, but it needs to be checked by others. We have some examples of that sort of person posting on SAGG.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.