Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orc
So Russian dolls are emergent from each other are they emergent from the universe?

There is of course a problem with the English language, but you need to make sure that you select the correct context. The Russian dolls emerge from the cluster, but they are emergent from the universe only in the sense that the universe is emergent from the basic particles of which it consists. So far there is no real understanding of just how many things in the universe come to be. We may understand how the basic forces work, but not how they come together to create higher levels of organization. Thus the organization of the universe is emergent from the basic rules. That is the way I am using emergent. If, and I do mean if, time is emergent, then it is not a fundamental part of the universe.

And the English language has been cursed many times because of its complexity. But part of the reason it is so widespread is because of its flexibility. You can understand a lot of what is said with a very limited understanding of the language.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
These are all contextual words and why I hate English sometimes because some words should have been assassinated at birth and use far more clear and concise ones like used in many other languages

The problem is not so much with the language as with the usage. English can be as precise as you need to make it, but if you say “nothing” when you mean “something” or “infinite” when you mean unbounded; or if you insist on making no distinction between “universe” and “cosmos”, then any surprise you may feel at misinterpretation is possibly unwarranted.

Of course there is no tablet of stone on which it is written “Thou shalt not use this word with this meaning”; but if there are two words with slightly different shades of meaning, it would seem wise for scientists, who are always striving for precision, to take advantage of the situation, and to try to standardise scientific usage.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
I haven't seen him posting on this thread. If he does, my delete power works. I try to check the forum twice a day at least. If he does try to infiltrate, at least give me a chance to delete before you get up in arms.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Try the physics section Rose he has reached 6 of his own stupid threads in which only he has commented and posted kiddie drawings.

As we commented surely he only needs 1 thread for that garbage it can't require what now amounts to hundreds of threads with the same trash that people have to wade thru when trying to look at topics. Is it hard to delete any new threads he starts on that junk?

He has almost made it to the usual 7 stupid thread rule, Oh but he did actually write a comment without posting kiddie drawings in one of Bill S posts now so maybe there is a glimmer of hope but I am sure it will be snuffed out in coming days.

Last edited by Orac; 10/29/14 05:30 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Superstar
Superstar
I am aware of your concern, and will address it to the best of my ability. I'm focused on keeping him corralled. One thing I can do is merge some of his topics together. That would cut down some on the detritus. *sigh* Now I have to learn how to merge. And I thought freeway driving was difficult. :-)

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Personally I think you are taking responsibility for what is HIS PROBLEM.

The solution is simple tell him to keep posts on the same topic in one thread and everytime he doesn't delete the threads until he gets the message which may take a while with Marosz. I know you can do that because you did it once before with PreEarth and he got the message.

Why you are making it your problem, it his responsibility to adhere to forum rules, you simply enforce the policy.

It's really not that hard if he doesn't want his posts deleted then keep them in the one thread.

I simply don't get your reluctance to delete the threads it's not like the same garbage is not repeated hundreds of time and lunatic would lose anything. Hence I pose the question why merge rather than simply delete them.

Here look at his website

http://tesla4.blogspot.com.au/

All he does is start a thread pick a few images from the pile of trash on his website and recycle it over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Right click on any of the images in his posts on the forum and you will see the image location is his own website.

That is what annoys almost everyone on the forum and we don't get why you won't act as it isn't like he is typing long detailed answers and responses. He is just cutting and pasting image links from his own website and adding a couple of lines of usually illiterate text between them.

Last edited by Orac; 10/29/14 12:38 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Should we rename this thread: Do we ask too much of Mods? smile

There never was nothing.
P
P
Weren't Mods also an English youth culture in the '60's?

You know, about the time of your youth?

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
“Time………is essential to our reasoning, our understanding of the Universe and every aspect of our lives. It is essential to every measurement we make, but without something to measure, it has no significance.”

Flapdoodle it might be, but are you saying that time would have any significance if there were nothing to measure?
By The Way Saggo, et al, UNI-Theists are of the opinion that: G~0~D is not a person, or an object that can be measured. We think God--the one rejected by militant atheists, like Dawkins--as an idolatrous, physical, or mental image.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
“Time………is essential to our reasoning, our understanding of the Universe and every aspect of our lives. It is essential to every measurement we make, but without something to measure, it has no significance.”

Flapdoodle it might be, but are you saying that time would have any significance if there were nothing to measure?
By The Way Saggo, et al, UNI-Theists are of the opinion that: G~0~D is not a person, or an object that can be measured. We think of God--the one rejected by militant atheists, like Dawkins--as an idolatrous, physical, or mental images, which illogical theists tend to create with their minds (psyches) lacking theologal education.

BTW, after 2,375 responses, we now have--WOW!--a thread with 10,015,781 hits

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/24/15 11:51 PM. Reason: a

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.