Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Bill S. recently started a thread about detecting whether you are in a gravitational pull or being accelerated by a rocket. I have just started re-reading "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. He pretty much answered Bill's questions in the second or third chapter when he discusses Einstein's theories. The answer is that Einstein's thought experiment assumed a very small reference frame so that you could ignore the effects. It's a good book, I recommend it. It isn't the newest, but most of the first part of it should still be relevant.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Thanks Bill. If you find it worth re-reading, I would take that as a recommendation.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I just finished it this morning. It is an interesting book. It covers the history of black hole research. It isn't new, it was published in 1993. So the last 20 years of research isn't included, but it seems to me to cover just about all of the things you have been concerned about.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Housekeeping for you Bill S I had occassion to ask about our pesky photon and GR question in the modern setting.

The current accepted answer goes gravity pulls on things proportional to their energies (convert normal mass to energy via E=MC2) which we correctly identified.

Hence although a photon is massless it can be bent by strong gravitation sources and by reversing the answer the photon itself must indeed distort spacetime under GR if just a little.

Now put you thinking cap on and I have a new problem for you Bill S.

We make a parallel plate capacitor and take it out into space

What happens when we charge the capacitor in space, outline your argument smile

Hint: http://vixra.org/pdf/1202.0038v1.pdf

Last edited by Orac; 04/07/15 12:59 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Orac, has SAGG turned into a class in advanced physics? And if it is have you provided appropriate lecture materials?

I was providing a reference to help Bill S. figure out the answers to some of his questions. Your response doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject of the thread.

Bil Gill

P
P
“What happens when we charge the capacitor in space, outline your argument”

We partially shield it and have a gravitational motor. The favorite power source
of UFO’s! smile

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Now why didn't I think of that. Paul would love it too.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Take it up with the moderator I am not crawling thru the endless Maroz threads to find the right one for what is a 2 second post which Bill S might actually find and care to take up as part of his studies on the subject. It is sort of on topic for Bill S at a stretch and it is sort of normal for science forums to discuss things not just regurgitate media articles smile

I am sorry I was not aware that book review discussion was so sensitive that it could not tolerate a quick post that was not really worth a new thread unless Bill S want to engage, who was in the thread discussion. I thought you were big enough to simply skip over what is a very small post as it doesn't interest you anyhow. It took up a little more room than pokey's joke response smile

I would prefer the forum worked properly as well but alas only AR2 can address that issue and on the plus side it isn't me claiming some ridiculous trash theory and I don't claim to be in line for a Nobel prize laugh

I will be careful in future to never to interrupt a book review discussion again because those are what make and break a good science forum. Sorry, I so wasn't thinking when I did that.

Now if AR2 does want to take issue with me over unforgivable interruption to book club I will understand. However perhaps she could fix up the endless threads by Marosz which lead to this situation.

Bill S if you want to take up the challenge start a new thread for the discussion to keep the "science in a box" natives happy. It will throw up some curve balls that will get you thinking.

Now back to it guys you were discussing "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne before I interrupted. It got rave reviews and has been added to the must read list, take it from there.

Last edited by Orac; 04/08/15 06:28 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill
I was providing a reference to help Bill S. figure out the answers to some of his questions.

All help is greatly appreciated. Please don't take lack of response as lack of interest. Time is extra short at present.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.