Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#51997 05/13/14 04:31 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Decoherence

The Schrodinger’s Cat thought experiment is, unless you are a supporter of Eugene Wigner, generally solved by citing Decoherence. The reasoning goes something like this: Instead of arguing that the intervention of a conscious observer causes the wave function of the quon to collapse; the interaction of the quon with its environment brings about Decoherence. Typically, this involves interaction with other quons and brings about a situation similar to the older idea of a collapsing wave function. No conscious observer is necessary for this, so the cat is not put into a state of superposition. However, cats the world over cannot heave a collective sigh of relief, as Brian Clegg suggests they might, because once in this box they will be either alive or dead at the end of the process.

Decoherence, it appears, can solve the cat problem, but does it raise another question of its own? It would seem to. Quons have been around for billions of years, presumably interacting with other quons in their environment. Why, then, has decoherence not caused the wave function collapse of every quon in the Universe, long ago?

NB. Quon = quantum particle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quon

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill, just what is it you are trying to figure out? I am having a little problem trying to understand your question. Let me ramble a little bit. I will look at a photon. Specifically I will look at the polarization. That is a well studied area. A given photon has an indeterminate polarization until something occurs that causes it to select one polarization. Which polarization will be selected is purely random. We can state the odds as to which polarization will be selected. Then if we look at a lot of photons we can predict how many will have each polarization. However, for an individual photon it is totally indeterminate. In this case I am not talking about entangled photons, I am talking about individual photons. Now once the photon has interacted with whatever, does the same photon still exist? In the case of a photon it has probably caused a change in energy in whatever it interacted with and has disappeared. Then if the particle with which it interacted releases the energy it received from the photon it will release a new photon which will once more have an indeterminate polarization. So the indeterminacy is carried on for all time, at least for photons. For other particles, such as electrons, the story may be slightly more complex, but at each interaction the result will still have an indeterminacy in it.

And of course we can point out that Indeterminacy is applied to all particles at all times. We can never state with full precision just what is the state of any particle. Even if we can determine the polarization of a photon, there are other parts of the photon that cannot be measured at the same time.

Now if you are as confused by this answer as I am, then my job is done.
Bill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Now if you are as confused by this answer as I am, then my job is done

Thanks Bill, you did a great job!

Seriously, though; I'm going to have to give a bit more thought to my question. I know what I mean, all I have to do is make it make sense to others. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B

I suspect I may not have expressed my original question very well, so I’ll give it another shot.

1. An unobserved quon is in an indeterminate state of superposition. When it is observed, measured or interacts with anything in its environment it assumes definite characteristics. This change is thermodynamically irreversible.

2. If assertion 1 is correct, once a quon has decohered, there is no going back. Photons may appear to be a special case, but I believe that is not so.

3. Decoherence can occur when one quon interacts with another. No intelligent observation or measurement is needed.

4. Given that 1-3 are correct; why have not all the quons in the Universe already succumbed to decoherence? Have they?
Are all quons that are in a state of quantum superposition artificially generated in experiments etc?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, I think we need Orac on this one, but I will try one more thing.

Consider a helium atom. It consists of a nucleus with 2 electrons in 'orbit' around it. I emphasize orbit because of course it isn't strictly speaking an orbit, but we can use that for this discussion. An electron has a spin, which can be either up or down. However, there cannot be 2 electrons in the same state, so one of the 2 electrons in a helium atom must be up and the other down. But we have no way of knowing which is up and which is down. In fact electron spin is indeterminate, it could be either up or down, until we measure it, or until it in some way interacts with another particle and decoheres. I will talk in terms of measurement. So we measure the spin of one of the 2 electrons, and now know whether it is up or down, and we know that the other one is the opposite. But we look away for a second, then go back and measure the spin of the same electron again. But when we quit looking at it, it becomes indeterminate again. So we we look back at it and we don't know which way it is spinning. When we measure it again, we may find it in either of the 2 spin states, at random. So we can't have full decoherence, because indeterminacy is always there. Observing an indeterminate state doesn't lock it in, when we look away it becomes indeterminate again.

And I think that is how it works and is the answer to your question.

Bill Gill

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Thanks Bill, I thought the answer was something like that until I saw:

“Decoherence occurs when a system interacts with its environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way". (Wiki). This seems to suggest that once decoherence has happened, it would require an input of energy to reverse it.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Sorry I have been busy but Bill gave you the correct answer.

Decoherence does not generate actual wave function collapse that is a very strict old school interpretation which we know is wrong and refers back to QM pre 1980. The answer echos back to the "infinite dimension" problem your observation can not cause a total collapse because you can not observe every dimension or quantum statistic specifically you are observing a limited number on quantum statistics. So the whole original post is out of date and rather silly.

To show the problem with the pre 1980 answer look at the work with macro object entanglement. These are large objects you can hold in your hand so in the original concept they must be fully decohered and yet they can still to be shown as quantum active and this is a large version of Bill's atom/electron example of observation

So specifically that leaves you with only two options

1.) QM coherence was never lost by observation just suppressed
2.) Things can randomly gain coherence when not fully observed

Long story short ... as we can show QM information is energy the two statements above have very real world implications. The first one describes faithfully the laws of energy conservation the second describes a very different universe where energy can randomly jump into objects even macro objects.

Therefore by logic we accept answer 1 and view observation as a simple leak of information to the environment which includes you.

A layman way to perhaps create an analogy is with strings on a guitar by placing you finger at different points you observe a different note but the fundamental note of the string without a finger in place remains.

Last edited by Orac; 05/15/14 05:09 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Thanks Orac.
Silly questions are a speciality of mine. smile

I’m going to have to give this some thought. I suspect it may have answered the original question, but I have to be sure I understand before I can let it go.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I didn't really do much Bill answered the question perfectly I just extended it, thank Bill.

There is a thing I thought you might pick up I was sort of expecting you would, so I will pose the question to you.

I want you to read the wiki entry on Quantum Decoherence again and I want you to consider carefully this part

Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_decoherence
Specifically, decoherence does not attempt to explain the measurement problem. Rather, decoherence provides an explanation for the transition of the system to a mixture of states that seem to correspond to those states observers perceive. Moreover, our observation tells us that this mixture looks like a proper quantum ensemble in a measurement situation, as we observe that measurements lead to the "realization" of precisely one state in the "ensemble".

So my question .... what defines reality and how would we test it?

Last edited by Orac; 05/15/14 05:50 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I believe it was Philip Dick who said that “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.”
Heisenberg, on the other hand, said: “…what we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning”.

Both of these suggest, I think rightly, that the concept of reality is metaphysical, rather than scientific. Ultimately all we can test is whether or not our ideas about reality accord with the answers we obtain when we carry out experiments.

I had not overlooked the bit you quote, but I was taking one thing at a time and trying to sort out if decoherence was linked to thermodynamics in such a way that would let us consider decoherence as a concrete feature in what we perceive as reality; or if it had to be thought of as some sort of quantum superposition of done and not done.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Both of these suggest, I think rightly, that the concept of reality is metaphysical, rather than scientific. Ultimately all we can test is whether or not our ideas about reality accord with the answers we obtain when we carry out experiments.

I personally don't accept that at all, I definitely only experiment and test real things in my reality and my reality rarely changes and most of the time it matches your reality smile

The real question your answer sidesteps is there only one reality and the answer is definitely no and that is what causes the problem. You dance around the core of that answer by turning that it into something metaphysical. The problem with your answer is you have now a whacky philosophical imaginary universe that at it's core still obeys a central hard set answer that the sum of the squares of the probability amplitudes equals 1. It is a very strange and wonderful metaphysical world you have which suddenly decides it will create such a strange rule and obey it without exception.

Sascha did a nice article on the issue which should be understandable to you (http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/why_energy_seems_quantized_especially_to_crackpots-136282)

I was taking one thing at a time and trying to sort out if decoherence was linked to thermodynamics in such a way that would let us consider decoherence as a concrete feature in what we perceive as reality;

It is and has to be linked to thermodynamics in a very concrete way both have very concrete links to energy.

Last edited by Orac; 05/16/14 05:10 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
I personally don't accept that at all, I definitely only experiment and test real things in my reality and my reality rarely changes and most of the time it matches your reality

I have always assumed you were a person who valued proof. No doubt you test things that exist in your reality. In order to live a meaningful life in society we have to assume that others share our reality, but we have no proof of that. It is not my intention to get into a discussion about solipsism, but statements about reality are based on assumptions that are best addressed before slipping into dogmatic pronouncements.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Not hard to test if a mass of people share a reality it has been done in a number of wars and conflicts ... unless you are saying they didn't die they just all just jumped to the metaphysical place in the sky ... Rev and Paul will be pleased.

Scientifically reality is easy anything you can do a scientific test that is falsifiable is by definition a reality. You can try layering all the philosophical, religious and just plain layman crazy junk you like over the answer but reality is defined as that which exists and exists only has one real test. You can do all sorts of interesting tests on reality and you can even map it's edges but that is another story smile

I do get a lot of amusement out of people who get themselves all bent out of shape over reality like it is some complex abstract idea. I could tell you a story about how long it took a group of us to get wikipedia entry to reflect the simplicity

Here is the statement that cause all the problems with all the crazies and whackjobs out there. We were willing to compromise and put scientifically at the front of the statement but in the end they accepted the argument as is.

Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality
The truth refers to what is real, while falsity refers to what is not. Fictions are considered not real.

Last edited by Orac; 05/16/14 06:12 PM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
John Barrow, who was not referring to religion, philosophy or “just plain layman crazy junk”, says: “Mathematical ‘existence’ meant only logical self-consistency and this neither required nor needed physical existence to complete it. If a mathematician could write down a set of non-contradictory axioms and rules for deducing true statements from them, then those statements would be said to ‘exist’.”

Perhaps a simplistic approach to existence is not always the most useful.

I said: “In order to live a meaningful life in society we have to assume that others share our reality”. You do that; I do that, and for all practical purposes that is fine.

However, assuming you read this post; when you do, you could be sitting at your computer reading something I wrote, or you could be lying in bed dreaming the whole thing. You cannot prove that life, as you experience it is not just in your head, like the dream.

No amount of scathing comments about “crazies and whackjobs” actually constitutes proof of anything, but you know that; I think you just enjoy trying to wind people up. I admit it's fun, I have been known to do it myself, but it's not really what I look for on a science forum - well not always.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I have gathered quite a lot of information about decoherence, both here and elsewhere, I'm going to try to find a bit of time to pull the threads together - see how much sense I can make of it.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Since this thread seems to be running into a fight over philosophy I figure this article by Ethan Siegel might be of interest. What Scientific Arrogance Really Looks Like

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
What can I say guilty as charged ... Ethan has to be a nice guy it helps his site rating and lets face it the huge number of layman rather than scientists are his target audience.

I am firmly with Lord Kelvin if you can't measure it and test it in a hard unbiased and stark way then it is unsatisfactory. This is not some personal preference or something I like it how one has to act in my field because there are no way to know the "right answer" or the "right direction". Mathematicians suffer the same problem you can only trust what you can prove because the why it all is like that is not clear.

Ethan like you Bill thinks there is middle safe ground you can run along and put things in little boxes of what is "right", "probably right", "probably wrong" and "definitely wrong" but that won't work for fundamental science because it overlooks the case that you can have a whole large section built on a wrong with more wrongs piled on top. History is full of such folly like classical physics itself as a prime example.

I should say I don't doubt most of the fields value in what they do. I definitely think they have merit but I always treat any conclusions they come to with absolute doubt because I know how their truth is built. The ultimate end product of this is "the medical report", the one that goes "x" is bad for you until next year when it's good for you and on and on it goes.

So from the arrogant out here we apologize but sorry no we aren't going to tow the political nice guy line anytime soon and it is necessary you know what they say .... IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS BRING DATA.

Last edited by Orac; 05/17/14 04:35 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Orac, you certainly don’t need to apologise for your confidence in yourself and your knowledge. I know I couldn’t do your job if they offered me ten times your salary.

Unfortunately your propensity for launching vitriolic attacks on others, and persistently putting down people with lesser/different qualifications hints at an underlying insecurity. This is a shame, because you have a lot to offer, and the fact that you post on SAGG suggests that you are prepared to offer that to “hitch-hikers”. Just don’t expect an old nit-picker like me to sit at your feet accepting every word. That would be tantamount to pretending I understood something when I didn’t. That’s not me.

Quote:
History is full of such folly like classical physics itself as a prime example.

I have to wonder how arrogant it is to describe classical physics as “folly”. Surely folly would be believing something when you had evidence that it was wrong. Shouldn't classical physics be seen as providing giants on whose shoulders future generations can stand to see greater things.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Unfortunately your propensity for launching vitriolic attacks on others, and persistently putting down people with lesser/different qualifications hints at an underlying insecurity.

I don't launch at people because they are unqualified I launch at illogical and clearly wrong things. I have never once used any sort of qualification as a justification of anything I am happy to be a janitor.

There have been positions which I totally disagree with but they were entirely logical I know Paul and Rev have both done that. My issue with Paul always comes when he tries to say something about science that either isn't true or is a total misrepresentation.

I have clashed with Bill for example over wanting to rule stuff in and out of an ultimate theory of anything. I called it what is was stupid because we don't have a clue what drives QM and we have yet to understand gravity. If he wanted to rephrase it as "likely" or "probably" I had no issue but "definitely" get the hell out of here.

I am entirely consistent with what annoys me, I don't expect people to agree with me and I don't mind if they have a different view but please be logical and truthful with arguments.

Originally Posted By: bill.s
I have to wonder how arrogant it is to describe classical physics as “folly”. Surely folly would be believing something when you had evidence that it was wrong. Shouldn't classical physics be seen as providing giants on whose shoulders future generations can stand to see greater things.

I have no issue if we were living in the 18th century but classic physics has been dead in the water over 100 years now and still people want to argue and try and return to it and think what amounts to millions of observations are somehow wrong.

In the past we have been lazy, classic physics could cover 99.99% of anything in the world and so we never bothered to correct it and hence here we are 100 years down the track. That is no longer true at all, everything in computers and half the new electronic devices are relying on QM. Next year we will have an entangled communication link from a satellite in space to earth. The Higg's discovery will change a whole pile of things over the coming years.

So exactly how much further do we have to go before we are allowed to get arrogant? The term Flat Earther's comes to mind which a term a certain president likes.

My problem with Ethan's article is it whats wrong with the 100 years the lets not upset anyone or anything. Everything has changed QM and the Higgs isn't going to go away and it's not going to blend neatly into classical physics. Everything from classic physics needs to be retested and that means every other field relying on classic physics needs to recheck implications it is a fact ... call us arrogant.

Last edited by Orac; 05/18/14 08:38 PM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
In the past we have been lazy, classic physics could cover 99.99% of anything in the world and so we never bothered to correct it and hence here we are 100 years down the track. That is no longer true at all, everything in computers and half the new electronic devices are relying on QM. Next year we will have an entangled communication link from a satellite in space to earth. The Higg's discovery will change a whole pile of things over the coming years.

It is true that QM explains things more than classical physics does. But it is also true that classical physics still works wonders, in the area in which it is applicable. That is in any area where we don't need the extreme accuracy of QM. It is also true in any area where we don't know how to get from the QM explanation of what is happening to the classical explanation. In many cases the difficulty is working with QM in large groups of particles. When I say large groups I am talking about billions of particles, such as in a glass of water. There is, at present, no way to extend the QM description of the individual atoms of water to the way the whole glass acts. Therefore classical physics still has a major part to play in working with the world around us.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Not disputing any of that Bill but we also need to

a) Teach and make sure that students coming out of school understand that these are approximations and at there heart wrong and why they are wrong. It is important because the disconnect between science and the general public is growing over it the last 100 years has taught us that. Science is not really going to care because it isn't driven by the public it is driven by government, military and corporations and so the disconnect will get wider and wider and the loser is not science.

b) Make sure that in science that each of the fields responds to what is now a very changed landscape around energy. I can tell you I have to look and respond to questions about energy very differently in the last 10 years because it is all different to what I was taught and I probably like many are looking at other science fields with suspicion.

I am not sure what the reason for Ethan's article was but I know he got caught in a firefight where a couple of mathematicians and a couple of prominent physicists poured a bucket over some cosmology. It happens from time to time people don't keep up and try to play the I am an expert card and get there legs and necks cut off.

At the end of the day the whole arrogance of fields junk doesn't wash with me because science is about what is right nothing else, the rest is people and their emotional baggage.

Last edited by Orac; 05/19/14 03:04 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
My problem arose because of the juxtaposition of two ideas in my mind.

Originally Posted By: Bill
Observing an indeterminate state doesn't lock it in, when we look away it becomes indeterminate again.

This succinctly captures the first. The second was:

Originally Posted By: Wiki
“Decoherence occurs when a system interacts with its environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way"

If decoherence is linked to observing an indeterminate state, and is thermodynamically irreversible, how can the state become indeterminate again when we look away?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Well done and that is a problem isn't it.

It gets worse extend that thought if you did multiple observations you would sap energy out of the object wouldn't you ... hold that thought we will come back to it.

It was at that point Serge Haroche won his 2012 Nobel prize for showing something interesting. In 1996 he entangled rubidium atoms and sent one of the entangled atoms through a microwave-filled cavity. The entangled states both cause shifts in the phase of the microwave field by fractionally different amounts, so that the field also becomes entangled. However as the cavity field exchanges energy with the solid macro parts of the cavity wall etc so it collapses to a single state and takes energy away. It is a functional equivalent of you or I observing something.

Haroche measured the resulting decoherence via correlations between the energy levels of pairs of atoms and they were different.

So there was a problem with Bill's original answer which is what concerned me as well. It definitely doesn't go back to the way it was after observation but it can take on a slightly altered new unknown state.

You are beginning to see why I have to be careful with dealing with energy these days as compared to what I was taught as information equals energy.

That leaves open an interesting thought doesn't it can you observe all the energy out of an object, what does observation actually do? Care to have a crack at this one?

I have to go but I am also going to write a response on the ugly part of this which you haven't realized the bit I actually have problems with in QM and there isn't a current answer on.

Last edited by Orac; 05/20/14 08:13 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Welcome back, Orac; I was beginning to think you had decohered. smile

Domestic duties call at the moment, but I hope to come back to this, and to compare it with some bits of information I have picked up elsewhere.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
It gets worse extend that thought if you did multiple observations you would sap energy out of the object wouldn't you ... hold that thought we will come back to it.

I can see that in the case of Haroche’s experiment, “observation” would take energy away, but does that necessarily imply that all observation extracts energy. E.g. I am looking at a computer screen, observing words on a page. If I close my eyes I stop observing. Is any less energy being remover from the screen/computer just because I close my eyes?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Yeah I feared it was going to be hard for you to make the connection most layman don't get it because here on earth it's hard to initially see whats happening because of out atmosphere and sun.

Ok so lets teleport you and you screen instantly out into deep space a point a long way from a sun. So you arrive and you start cooling rapidly to around 4 degrees above absolute zero the temperature in deep space and then when you finally get to 4 degree and then you start cooling with the universe. Think about why do you cool you aren't in contact with anything and convection doesn't work in a vacuum.

So the connection is temperature contains information and all objects radiate that information. If that wasn't true you wouldn't and couldn't cool in the situation in space because you are not in contact with anything to transfer heat with by normal convection methods.

Do you see the connection now the process is happening when you are sitting there on earth but you and your monitor are also gaining information or energy from your surroundings.

Now we still haven't got to the bottom of the real issue does measurement itself cost energy and in 1961 as we started to develop the microprocessor this became important and so it was an IBM engineer put forward an idea

Landauers principle

So now even heat is starting to look a bit different under QM than under classic physics and what we have is the energy cost of measurement is the work energy of the acquired information. So basically all observation/measurement looks exactly the same as the heat example, the one we are most familiar with and that is what Haroche’s experiment showed. It also shows you QM has to obey all the standard energy laws from classic physics even though it can break many classic physic rules.

As a sort of funny aside ending to this you may want to consider the energy information value you carry in your head and you then undertook time travel back in time smile

Last edited by Orac; 05/21/14 04:24 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
So the connection is temperature contains information and all objects radiate that information. If that wasn't true you wouldn't and couldn't cool in the situation in space because you are not in contact with anything to transfer heat with by normal convection methods.

I get that convection wouldn't work in space, but why would I not radiate heat?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I get that convection wouldn't work in space, but why would I not radiate heat?

Think you missed the connection.

Reverse the question why do you radiate heat in space and why do you lose energy doing it. I mean you know you radiate heat in space but whats the mechanism that drives it?

Under classic physics there is no mechanism you just have to accept it does it, QM is telling you why it does it think about Haroche’s experiment.

Hint (this is where we are heading):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo-Carnot_engine
The original work by Scully is here
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/299/5608/862 (Extracting Work from a Single Heat Bath via Vanishing Quantum Coherence)

Last edited by Orac; 05/22/14 04:35 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Reverse the question why do you radiate heat in space and why do you lose energy doing it. I mean you know you radiate heat in space but whats the mechanism that drives it?

Under classic physics there is no mechanism you just have to accept it does it, QM is telling you why it does it think about Haroche’s experiment.

As far as I know classical physics recognized the existence of radiation. They may not have understood how it worked, but they certainly knew about it. In fact the Ultraviolet Catastrophe was one of the things that led to the development of QM. They knew all about radiation, and it was pretty well understood. The fact that it was quantized was the only thing they were missing.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Absolutely spot on Bill it just exists as a declaration of something that happens like gravity and you build stuff around it.

That leaves you in the nasty situation that the thermodynamic laws have no reason to be other than they exist. So what we are what we are trying to do here is fill the WHY in.

I am not trying to attack Classic Physics here in fact I am trying to tie classic physics and QM together so we have a sort of consistency. Now it isn't actually as clean as we are making out because temperature as QM information is rather complex so I am taking some liberties.

There is a very nasty ugly side to this stuff under QM at current, and our story will end there at the BIG WHITE ELEPHANT IN THE QM ROOM we ignore but it is only fair to point it out since Bill S is actually trying to understand smile

If you want to think ahead the problem is you can resolve the energy issue, the what and why etc it's well defined today and easy to test but the problem comes in a little sentence they put in the very last sentence of quantum decoherence page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_decoherence)

You know what I am like with stuff that is not measurable smile

It is one of the nice things string theory did was round that problem up but since we have failed at making a case for string theory we have a real problem.

Last edited by Orac; 05/22/14 04:41 PM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
That leaves you in the nasty situation that the thermodynamic laws have no reason to be other than they exist. So what we are what we are trying to do here is fill the WHY in.

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. QM doesn't tell us why any more than classical physics does. It is still just a description of what happens. It may be more detailed than classical physics, but that is just because we know more about how it works.

I started noticing right after you started posting on SAGG that you feel that QM has all the answers, and you don't think much of any other theories, such a GR. You really need to loosen up and accept that QM doesn't have all the answers.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. QM doesn't tell us why any more than classical physics does. It is still just a description of what happens. It may be more detailed than classical physics, but that is just because we know more about how it works.

Not true it does tell you why it doesn't give you the mechanism.

It's quite clear why temperature radiates and I will state it for you. It radiates because all quantum information will dissipate and decohere to it's surroundings if it has a chance. Temperature not being a pure quantum statistic or "spin" if you like but an mixture of statistics and can not easily be contained by a natural quantum system. We know you can contain it if you setup elaborate setup that are never going to happen naturally (google the work on heat cloaks to show that is true).

More pure quantum statistics like those in the atom etc can be contained by relatively simple quantum systems and so survive longer perhaps indefinitely. We see the same thing in radioactive atoms that if the quantum system can't be made simple and stable they decay and nobel prizes were awarded for the discovery.

I started noticing right after you started posting on SAGG that you feel that QM has all the answers, and you don't think much of any other theories, such a GR. You really need to loosen up and accept that QM doesn't have all the answers.

That is what I thought you were doing and QM does NOT have all the answers I have stated that on countless times. In fact I wouldn't even put in your box for what will be in the theory of everything.

So lets be clear and state my position, there are some things that QM does answer and the what and why of temperature is an example. There is also an ugly bit to QM and in fact in the absence of string theory it's a gaping sore, which is where the energy is escaping too.

So whilst GR and QM are useful and take us further they both have gaping wounds and neither provides anywhere near a complete answer to anything. What QM has done is answered a lot of questions around energy and there is a concerted effort to fix up old mistakes both in classic physics and old style QM because QM itself has evolved. GR is useful and takes us along a journey but without the mechanism it like QM is only useful as a stepping stone to what lies beyond, hence I would put QM and GR on equal rating.

So are we clear I don't remotely think QM has all the answers, hell I don't think it even has a large proportion of them it is a step along the way.

My view on your comment Bill is you sound like all our grandparents and the all new stuff is bad meme. You can substitute anything you like computers, mobile phones, QM we all have had discussions with old people that do it and so I think you are showing your age smile

Bill: We never had QM in my time and we were just fine sonny laugh

Last edited by Orac; 05/23/14 03:55 AM.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
I am not trying to attack Classic Physics here in fact I am trying to tie classic physics and QM together so we have a sort of consistency.

now you want to drag classical physics down to your level.

Quote:
So are we clear I don't remotely think QM has all the answers, hell I don't think it even has a large proportion of them it is a step along the way.

I dont think QM has provided any answers.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Not sure that is actually adding anything to a science discussion has it Paul.

It is an incite AKA a flame so do you really want to go there we have already seen you are spineless and faithless. If you want to discuss something relevant to the discussion feel free to join in but you want to start a flame war just say the word.

So valid discussion would be evidence and observations and that sort of thing to counter the argument. So do you have any of those sort of details to add Paul?

Rose if you are around this is really no different to Marosz it serves no purpose other than to try an derail a thread.

Last edited by Orac; 05/23/14 06:47 AM.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Im just trying to help you to fill in the why , orac.

you claim thermodynamics has no value other than its existence
yet every time I ask what value QM has you run off like a
scared dog with his tail between his legs.

why don't you ever stand your ground and stop it with your
trolling about religion every time you cant answer a question or you run into something you don't understand.

that may be the reason you always start the flame wars about
religion because you don't have any scientific weapons to use in a discussion so flaming religion is the only type of weapon that you have in your arsenal that you could use in a discussion or a war.

that is truly pathetic, orac.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
QM we all have had discussions with old people that do it and so I think you are showing your age smile

Bill: We never had QM in my time and we were just fine sonny laugh

look on the bright side orac , by the time you reach puberty
you may actually have gained something similar to knowledge
Im not sure if we could classify it as knowledge today but
I have confidence that todays youth being guided by the types
of teachers of today will have no problem dissociating themselves from anything that would approach a resemblance of logic or knowledge much like what is already occurring today and they will form a new word for what they will believe is knowledge.

sewage?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Not true it does tell you why it doesn't give you the mechanism.

If QM tells us why then you can explain why:
C is the universal speed limit
Energy comes in quanta associated with Planck's Constant
The Pauli Exclusion Principle works
A lot of other basic laws of physics are the way they are

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Bill Gill

Can you answer why GR causes the double slit experiment to work the way it does. Explain how classic physics causes entanglement and why it occurs. Explain how gravity is responsible for what ends up as Quantum electrodynamics?

Those are about the same intelligence as your questions smile

There is one massive difference between classical physics and QM ... QM hasn't been falsified millions of timessmile

Last edited by Orac; 05/25/14 01:53 PM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul
you claim thermodynamics has no value other than its existence yet every time I ask what value QM has you run off like a scared dog with his tail between his legs.

So come on how does thermodynamics work in your gutless, spineless world Paul?

Just remember everything is testable so it probably wouldn't be smart to put your GOD on the line, best you remember how that got you into trouble last time. smile

I am more the happy to discuss it in the QM world, Bill is clearly bailing out but you take up the baton. You go son I have faith in you laugh

Last edited by Orac; 05/25/14 01:25 PM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill Gill

Can you answer why GR causes the double slit experiment to work the way it does. Explain how classic physics causes entanglement and why it occurs. Explain how gravity is responsible for what ends up as Quantum electrodynamics?

Those are about the same intelligence as your questions smile

There is one massive difference between classical physics and QM ... QM hasn't been falsified millions of timessmile

But you didn't answer my questions. WHY? You say QM tells us why, but you don't answer my questions. You were saying that classical physics doesn't tell us why, but QM does. So put up or shut up. Tell us why those things are true. If you can't do that based on your claim that QM does tell us why then you are just showing off. You are making claims that you can't back up. That doesn't give me a good feel about your any of you other claims.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I didn't see anywhere I claimed QM could answer everything I did say partial try putting you reading glasses on your age is definitely getting to you smile

If you are going to extend "why" to everything then no science is going to answer that ever Bill, and it's just becomes another Bill's box crazy posts. Perhaps you should join Paul in a religion, it's not a big step from there, as classic physics answers no questions and is wrong. That means Paul was right ... dam!!!!!

QM answers some very specific questions in that we wouldn't have quantum electrodynamics, we wouldn't have quantum field theory our atomic theory literally wouldn't hold together and it explains why energy behaves well like energy. Does it answer everything nope it's not a theory of everything but that means it doesn't answer "why" to you, so GOD here we come.

Personally I don't really care how you feel about my claims not like "Bill the box" really matters in the scope of science just another poor anti-QM nutter, not like we don't see them every other day and I love some of your claims too smile

It's interesting symptom that all the crazies here seem to think it matters what they think. Here we are on a backwater science forum that most of this garbage would get moderated out on a normal science site and they think it matters. At least I am getting something useful out of the site in practicing my English so I can hopefully pass my english exam but I am not sure what you other crazies think your getting out of this.

Last edited by Orac; 05/26/14 02:07 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

This sure looks like you said that QM tells us why.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
You know you should look at Paul and Marosz comments Bill it's remarkable how people see what they want to see smile

Perhaps try actually reading the paper and see what they did or have you lost your glasses again. You could also read the details around how to build a heat invisibility cloak if you don't think we understand what is going on. Oh but that is right your classic physics is so accurate that sort of stuff can't happen.

See I work on evidence and observation not what Bill thinks. In fact let me do something the crazies in this zoo would never do and change my byline and see if that changes anything laugh

True faith is interesting ask Rev K ... appearance and ego less so smile

Last edited by Orac; 05/26/14 06:31 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
What triggers decoherence?

Thread drift!

Well, that's sorted that.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Let me see. As I recall I said that QM was a better description of the universe than classical physics. Then you said that QM told us why. I took exception to that and asked you to tell us why several things are way they are. Now all at once I am trying to say that QM is wrong and all we need is classical physics. I'm not sure how we got there, except that you, Orac, are getting arrogant. You appear to feel that we should all bow down and acknowledge you as the master of SAGG.

My feeling is that you aren't really here to help us understand what modern science. You seem to be here more to bolster your own ego, at the expense of us ignorant boobs. I suggest you try to be more tolerant of the fact that we really don't know as much about QM as you do. We still do have some intelligence and are capable of figuring things out, with a little guidance.

And you should probably also accept the fact that for the time being GR is just as valid as QM. Someday there will be a theory which ties them together, but for now we need to be accepting of the facts shown by both of them.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

My feeling is that you aren't really here to help us understand what modern science. You seem to be here more to bolster your own ego, at the expense of us ignorant boobs.

Bill Gill

Doh! Just because he thinks everyone is ignorant, don't make it so... blush

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
...you, Orac, are getting arrogant. You appear to feel that we should all bow down and acknowledge you as the master of SAGG.

My feeling is that you aren't really here to help us understand what modern science. You seem to be here more to bolster your own ego...
Bill Gill

Bill, all I can say is, it's taken you long enough to concede those facts. I guess you're nothing if not thorough. Whilst one realises that anyone wishing to learn about these topics has access to a cornucopia of professional input on the net, one must acknowledge that there's the attractive aspect of social interaction and exchange of ideas on the forum; but why would anyone wish to adopt the role of idiot pupil in Orac's pretentious and childish little classroom game here? He's been assassinating his own character from day one.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
What triggers decoherence?

Thread drift!

Well, that's sorted that.

Sorry Bill S yes you were the only one who was actually interested in science which is what is provable not what someone says they believe or what is safe or what is nice.

So yeah slap me again ... my bad.

Last edited by Orac; 05/27/14 01:00 AM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle

So another belief TT or is that a judgement smile

So why do you hang out on some back water forum because it stimulates your intelligence TT laugh

As I said at least I get something useful from the forum I get to practice my english, what are you getting from it?

Anyhow as we aren't on topic perhaps lets go back to NQS shall we.

Last edited by Orac; 05/27/14 01:03 AM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
My feeling is that you aren't really here to help us understand what modern science. You seem to be here more to bolster your own ego, at the expense of us ignorant boobs. I suggest you try to be more tolerant of the fact that we really don't know as much about QM as you do. We still do have some intelligence and are capable of figuring things out, with a little guidance.

Seriously I told you why I was here Bill because it lets me practice English, I really am not here for the science just look at the state of the forum. Sorry I can't fix that it needs moderation and policies and yes I probably have become part of the problem now because I have taken advantage of that for my own ends.

So if I was to comment to you seriously on science, at the end of the day the relevant thing in science is what the observation and experimental evidence says certainly not what I say, not what the media says and not what someone else thinks. The thing is can you draw a direct line of evidence from A to B to C and does it hold up. To do that in a more modern context you have to actually read the science papers, even if you only understand 10% of what is written you will get more than the distilled down media version. Actually from that whole discussion you suddenly realize how far wikipedia can be behind in that the 2012 Nobel winners have precious little written about there work look at the entries again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Haroche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wineland

I have sent of an email to a group that does wikipedia and hopefully that will change soon.

Of the current scientists Anton Zeilinger is the one to read any paper he publishes. I suspect he will be given the Nobel prize in the next couple of years. It is well worth doing a lot of reading around all his work.

I am sorry I get caustic at times but really sometimes is is like a discussion with a group of Marosz's where the science is bent so badly and so wrong it hurts. Energy was the big change of 2003-2013 and a lot was added and Relativistic Quantum Mechanics came to the front. That area has been updated in wikipedia heavily and is almost up to date but excludes the work merging it with GR (post 2009 stuff) but it does carry all the main work up to the discovery of the Higgs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_quantum_mechanics

For all it's success however you are right in one sense it is incomplete
Originally Posted By: RQM
Nevertheless, RQM is only an approximation to a fully self-consistent relativistic theory of known particle interactions because it does not describe cases where the number of particles changes; for example in matter creation and annihilation

That was where I was trying to take Bill.S because it is the answer to his question and the best understanding we have of energy until the stuff still goes off the reservation or out the universe (your choice).

My complaint was and is you are treating RQM as if it somehow is just a different description of classic physics and if you read the article it is far from that it predicts results and outcomes that even old school QM doesn't. RQM isn't complete but nor does it deserve to be treated like it doesn't exist or isn't an important step because it understands enough about energy to may predictions something classic physics and old QM fail dismally at.

Ok I will try to chill out a bit besides summer vacation coming up smile

Last edited by Orac; 05/27/14 02:21 AM.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle

So another belief TT or is that a judgement smile

If you were here to speak in a scientific forum to the scientific observations and facts, we could come to a hypothesis regarding your question.. (if it was a question).

However.. being that you're just here to practice your English I guess we'll never get beyond your ability to masterfully project the ad-hominems. wink Just an observation.. Can I get witness!!?? cool

So why do you hang out on some back water forum because it stimulates your intelligence TT laugh

If you want to practice your English, you might learn to include certain punctuation marks in order to differentiate a question from a statement.

As I said at least I get something useful from the forum I get to practice my english, what are you getting from it?

Holy Crap! I got that you were asking me a question!

Anyway (to respond to the question) right now, just simple entertainment. (If anything you're consistent in distancing yourself from the people you address and flame, and you flame just about everyone other than the moderator.) So.. I'm guessing if you are taking some kind of correspondence course thru popular mechanics magazine.. or, attending an accredited program guided by someone who actually knows English. grin

OR.. It could be today's Horoscope:
Sagittarius
11/22-12/21

You can't help it -- the details are just jumping out at you! Even though you'd rather broaden your view, there's just no way for you to keep from narrowing down until you've found the source of the problem.

Today I can't help myself! shocked

I guess that could be a problem! whistle

Anyhow as we aren't on topic perhaps lets go back to NQS shall we.

Since you're obviously not here for the Science I guess it makes no never mind if we all just practice our English. whistle

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
That was quite amusing really we dragged them all out of the woodwork TT, Rede ... I am disappointed Paul didn't join in he must be away I sat it up for him to take a whack or maybe he is wary. I sit here a sad and broken man slayed by formidable combined intellect of the forum on full display. I don't know how I am ever going to live with myself, my science is in ruins, my belief gone and my ego well it got smashed and left the building like Elvis. Oh time to adjust my byline so I say what you all want.

TT that is just unkind flogging a guy when he is down where is all your compassion and brotherly love, I confessed to everything you all asked for. What more do you want me to confess to, perhaps the murder of JFK?

But I am sorry I think the threads dead Bill S if you really do want to go on probably start a new thread from where your thoughts are at and as shattered as I am I will drag myself up to answer anything you would like me too.

Last edited by Orac; 05/27/14 06:28 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
my ego well it got smashed and left the building like Elvis.

Elvis had something to build his ego on. He left the building because his show was over. Apparently all you have is ego and it hasn't left the building.

We would be happy to listen to you if you would not demand that we accept your every word as the truth straight from God. When you make a goof accept it and go on and try to get it right the next time.

Bill Gill

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

TT that is just unkind flogging a guy when he is down where is all your compassion and brotherly love, I confessed to everything you all asked for. I will drag myself up to answer anything you would like me too.

Sorry, all credibility has been lost.. cry
I think for all concerned, you will probably be known as "The boy who cried Wolf". blush

Perhaps you're familiar with the fairy tale?

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Man tough audience here .... say what they want, agree to what they want and still I am a problem.

I don't get it Bill I said what you asked, what more was there?

Interesting thing what people say they want and what they actually want isn't it.

Man struggling to confess my faults in 100 characters ... I just want to be friends.

Last edited by Orac; 05/27/14 04:33 PM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Bill S if you are around and want to get back on track there is a really funny article from Lubos (you think I am caustic I am not even close). It's actually a good read about a paper from a couple of fantastic scientists David Deutsch and Chiara Marletto that want to make QM a complete theory of everything which got a write up in Scientific America. I have the paper up for tomorrow to read just out of objectivity to make sure Lubos has got it correct but I am really struggling that any scientist would be that stupid.

http://motls.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/constructor-theory-deutsch-and-marletto.html#more

It's sort of interesting because the argument gets inverted against some of our own. See we have to fight the crazies on both sides smile

Last edited by Orac; 05/28/14 05:04 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Orac, I had a quick look at the link, and intent returning when time permits. Looks good.

You've probably noticed that I quite like quoting DD on subjects like the multiverse and gravity.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Too late, newton, the thread was already derailed!

There never was nothing.
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Having started this thread, I think I should say something about where I have reached in trying to answer my original questions.

"What triggers decoherence?"

"Why, after almost 14 billion years, have not all the quons in the Universe decohered?"

It seems that decoherence is triggered when a quon interacts with its environment. This may mean interacting with just one other quon, or with complex system.

The question as to why there are plenty of quons in the Universe that are still in superposition when quons have been interacting for billions of years is perhaps rooted in a confusion between wave function collapse and decoherence.

Wave function collapse involves a process which is irreversible under the second law of thermodynamics, and involves the permanent loss of “quantumness”. Once collapsed, the object involved can be totally described in terms of classical physics.

Decoherence, on the other hand, is a less cut-and-dried concept in that, although the process that triggers it may be thermodynamically irreversible, decoherence itself is not so easy to pin down. It appears to be much more observer specific. If, for example, I observe a quon, I will not see it in a superposition. As far as my observation is concerned, the wave function has collapsed, but in a broader context, the quon retains its “quantumness” and may be in states of superposition that I am unable to observe. If I stop observing the quon; then observe it again, decoherence will happen again, and I will observe something of which the wave function has just apparently collapsed.

Decoherence brings about an apparent wave function collapse only in the frame of reference of the observer.

That's about where I am at the moment, but I'm sure there's room for more refinement.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
That is exactly where you need to be and you have got everything factual that science knows.

I am going to borrow the general conclusions that we currently "know" because you have now arrived where everyone else has that followed the evidence and you should be able to tick off the twelve statements some may appear technical but I am confident you can work out what is meant.

They are a statement of twelve observational science facts you accepted in your journey although probably not consciously. They are however the observational facts as we sit here in 2014 and you would need new evidence to overturn any of them. What no one will be able to tell you is why those 12 observational facts occur that is outside our current understanding.

Quote:

1. Quantum mechanics is valid everywhere, for small and large systems, for intelligent and unintelligent objects; and all quantities that were thought to be "real" classical observables in the ignorant era of classical physics become linear operators on the Hilbert space with their eigenstates, eigenvalues, and their probabilities that can be predicted from the amplitudes (but never deterministically); there is no segregation of contextual and real observables

2. Classical physics is always just an approximation, and can be derived to be a good one under certain circumstances

3. Only probabilities may be predicted by quantum mechanics (i.e. in the real world) and classical determinism only occurs when the probabilities become negligibly small everywhere except for a small vicinity of the "correct" classical history

4. The boundary between the quantum and classical realms occurs when the interference effects get suppressed; this loss of coherence (the loss of information about the relative phases of complex amplitudes) is the only effect that universally occurs to produce a limit that is well described by classical physics in our quantum world

5. The suppression of quantum interference is called decoherence, and is caused by the interactions with the environment (i.e. degrees of freedom that we can't and don't want to keep track of); in this process, the off-diagonal elements of the density matrix plummet and the diagonal entries may be interpreted as classical probabilities; in this regime when the interference is gone, Bell's inequalities (and other manifestations of the classical intuition) become approximately valid

6. Quantum mechanics fully determines where this boundary occurs, and the required inequalities depend on the physical system, its Hamiltonian, the density of the environment, the strength and speed of interactions, and many other things: the emergence of the classical limit is a dynamical question and there is no "universal" answer to the questions e.g. "how many atoms or how long time one needs for classical physics to emerge"; everyone should calculate or review at least five order-of-magnitude estimates of the "critical" quantities where the classical limit becomes valid, in order to see the huge diversity of these scales in different contexts; these calculated boundaries are obviously correct on theoretical grounds and in many cases, the quantum-classical transition can actually be observed (at the predicted place)

7. In a classical regime, the preferred basis vectors of the Hilbert space are those that can imprint themselves into the environment (in Zurek's jargon, these states pass the einselection which makes them immune against decoherence); bizarrely non-local Schrödinger's cat superpositions are not in this category, and one can show, e.g. in the consistent history framework, that they don't allow us to formulate consistent histories (for which the probabilities add as expected from logic); it is fully understood what's wrong with Schrödinger cat superpositions and the derivation of the preferred states depends on the Hamiltonian

8. There is no room for a physical collapse or, on the contrary, for an ad hoc privileged role of conscious observers; the wave functions only predict the probabilities but they can be calculated for any set of consistent histories, regardless of whether the systems look conscious, unconscious, macroscopic, or microscopic; the only "collapse" that occurs is the rapid diagonalization of the density matrix in the preferred basis by the interactions with the environment; however, the "unrealized" diagonal entries of the matrix (probabilities of outcomes that won't come true) are never "physically" set to zero because their interpretation always remains probabilistic, even when the classical approximation becomes acceptably accurate

9. There cannot be any deterministic description that would allow one to know the outcomes non-probabilistically, such as "pilot waves" or "hidden variables", not even in principle, and questions attempting to know "more" than what quantum mechanics predicts are unphysical; the Conway-Kochen Free will theorem is a way to prove that the microscopic outcomes can't be deterministically determined

10. From all practical points of view, Niels Bohr and his friends in the Copenhagen school were right on the money and decoherence may be interpreted as a justification, derivation, or a proof of their assumption that the classical intuition is fine for (mostly) large objects and quantum mechanics is crucial for (mostly) microscopic objects; they didn't know the modern derivation of decoherence but they understood its qualitative implications

11. Decoherence is a process with an inherent arrow of time that makes it analogous to friction, heat dissipation, and other thermodynamic processes with an arrow of time; the effects are related, the arrows inevitably agree with one another, and decoherence is as real as the other processes (that increase the entropy); the time-reversal asymmetry of decoherence is inevitable because the environment can't be assumed to be non-locally entangled with the system in the far past, but it can be shown to be correlated in the future because of the evolution (and one can't ever assume anything about the future or impose "final" boundary conditions by the very definition of the future which is yet to be seen)

12. On the other hand, consistent histories are just a particular convenient framework to formulate physical questions in a certain way; the only completely invariant consequence of this formalism is the Copenhagen school's postulate that physics can only calculate the probabilities, they follow the laws of quantum mechanics, and when decoherence is taken into account, to find both the quantum/classical boundary as well as the embedding of the classical limit within the full quantum theory, some questions about quantum systems follow the laws of classical probability theory (and may be legitimately asked) while others don't (and can't be asked)

Last edited by Orac; 05/30/14 07:53 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Your 12 observations provide something to think about. Let’s take this in bite-sized chunks.

1. I think I have the general sense of this, but I guess I would need more maths than I have to be able to get to grips with Hilbert space; not to mention “linear operators on the Hilbert space”. Any simplification on the Wiki article would be appreciated.

2. OK with that.

3. So far, so good.

4. I would not be able to explain that to someone else, so I guess I don’t understand it.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O

1. I think I have the general sense of this, but I guess I would need more maths than I have to be able to get to grips with Hilbert space; not to mention “linear operators on the Hilbert space”. Any simplification on the Wiki article would be appreciated.

Hilbert spaces are well covered in wikipedia it's not that complex most layman tend to think in normal Euclidean space but I know you have familiar with the idea of curved space and you are familiar with latitude and longitude and curvature on earth.

It's the same problem while you sit at your desk and plot a path from London to New York you think in a straight line but you are quite aware that you are actually taking a curved path. So a Hilbert space allows for the shape of space to not be flat it's a generalized description of space it's not implicitly flat and actually it covers a range of shapes space could have that are weird and whacky.

The operators are the sorts of measurements etc and so we have to know certain things work. A few are listed in the wikipedia article such as Pythagorean theorem must hold or you aren't on a Hilbert space. Think on earths surface if we plot a huge triangle so long as you account for the curvature of the earth Pythagorean theory still holds and so we assume that of space.

Linear means exactly that it's linear ... Pythagorean theory holds without having to make some sort of algebraic adjustment for curvature which would be the other option.

Non linear option is defined like so
http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Non-linear_operator

So if you want it in a simplification it is basically saying you can extend our normal geometry laws out into space and they work correctly even if space isn't flat as that is the only observational facts we have so that is what we go with. Now we extend it a bit more than just geometry to motion etc but you get the idea basically it says our patch of space works like space as a whole regardless of it's shape.

See each point spells out the basis on which it is made you can attack this point on the basis "our area of space is special" because we can't not observationally exclude that.

4. I would not be able to explain that to someone else, so I guess I don’t understand it.

Four is simply saying that the only thing we see change between the quantum mechanics and classic physics is the decoherence change. We have measured and found no other changes so in the same way we create a boundary between classic states like solid/liquid/gas (boundary condition is atom or molecule movement) it is formalising that classic physics is simply a state of quantum mechanics with a defined boundary due to decoherence.

Our ancestors probably never realized that water vapour, water and ice were all the same thing so science felt it important to document the observational fact, something you probably take for granted these days.

So it is a consistent approach water vapour becomes water and then becomes ice as the molecules slow speed number 4 is simply stating classic physics is the QM world viewed with a loss of coherence. Water vapour, water and ice are all the same thing so the classic world and the QM world are the same thing with a boundary condition.

If someone was to find something else change QM is dead. Remember all of these 12 key ideas are continually under attack scientists are trying to find pilot waves and find other things between QM and the classic physics but these have withstood all tests so far.

Last edited by Orac; 05/31/14 04:03 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Struggling, but getting there slowly.

5. What are “off-diagonal elements”? I tried to get to grips with off-diagonal long range order, when I was looking at the work of Mazur and Chapline, but got no further than realizing it had something to do with the organization of particles in a quantum state.

6. My understanding of the Hamiltonian is that it quantifies the total energy (kinetic and potential) of the particles in a system, but beyond that it is a mass of mathematical esoterica.

Quote:
everyone should calculate or review at least five order-of-magnitude estimates of the "critical" quantities where the classical limit becomes valid

I believe that everyone should do it, and would probably join in if I knew what that meant. smile

Quote:
in many cases, the quantum-classical transition can actually be observed (at the predicted place)

Could you give an example of such an observation, please.

7. I’ve no idea what the preferred basis vectors of the Hilbert space are, but this bit seems to be saying that in the classical world what we observe is our reality, and it’s not going to just vanish.

I think I get the bit about consistent histories, but the link between Schrödinger’s cat and the Hamiltonian eludes me.

8. I thought I was doing quite well with this one until I got to the “diagonalization of the density matrix in the preferred basis”.
Lost!

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
5. What are “off-diagonal elements”? I tried to get to grips with off-diagonal long range order, when I was looking at the work of Mazur and Chapline, but got no further than realizing it had something to do with the organization of particles in a quantum state.

Ok above we defined classic physics as a state of QM so now we have to deal between pure and mixed states. Just like in real world we have mixture of ice, water and water vapour the states don't exist in isolation.

I am going to do a separate post in a bit on this because it's interesting lets just see how many bits I need to tidy up first.

For now what I would like you to look at is the example in the following link example Beam A prepared in superposition and Beam B organized 50% spin up and 50% spin down. See if you can follow why the result.

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/752.mf1i.spring03/DensityMatrix.htm

6. My understanding of the Hamiltonian is that it quantifies the total energy (kinetic and potential) of the particles in a system, but beyond that it is a mass of mathematical esoterica.

That is correct and the mathematics basically reflects observation. It wouldn't be valid to pose an answer gravity is only valid when you get more or less than X amount of matter or the universe is X. The mathematics of gravity observation and subsequent calculation does not indicate a limit and so it is not valid, the same is true of QM.

So it's is saying as QM is involved in energy it clearly goes from the smallest size to the largest size and over all time scales.
Quote:
in many cases, the quantum-classical transition can actually be observed (at the predicted place)

Could you give an example of such an observation, please.

Just google "macro quantum entanglement" there are now thousands of them. All these experiment are large macro objects you would clearly call classical yet you can make them behave in a manner that only QM predicts.

7. I’ve no idea what the preferred basis vectors of the Hilbert space are, but this bit seems to be saying that in the classical world what we observe is our reality, and it’s not going to just vanish.

I think I get the bit about consistent histories, but the link between Schrödinger’s cat and the Hamiltonian eludes me.

You almost got it spot on except add in that the world exists with or without you it's just in a quantum superposition. The Schrödinger’s cat reference is needed because of Many World Interpretation and for that I will refer you to this reading

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/

8. I thought I was doing quite well with this one until I got to the “diagonalization of the density matrix in the preferred basis”.
Lost!

Yeah that's back to point 5 and the density matrix and mixed states and we will cross that off in detail next if you like.

If you are happy with that we will try and get you understanding mixed and pure states and the density matrix it's not as hard as you may think.

Last edited by Orac; 06/03/14 04:32 AM.

B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
If you are happy with that

That will need a bit of thought. smile

I'm going to have to spend a bit of time trying to work round the maths in the first link. The second looks like just what I need, especially as I am involved in a discussion about multiverse theories in another forum.

It may be a while before I can get to grips with this, but I'll be back.

There never was nothing.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.