Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
thimerosal is found in vaccines as a preservative.

mercury is found in thimerosal.

50% of the content of thimerosal is mercury.

Quote:
Thimerosal, which is approximately 50% mercury by weight, has been one of the most widely used preservatives in vaccines. It is metabolized or degraded to ethylmercury and thiosalicylate. Ethylmercury is an organomercurial that should be distinguished from methylmercury, a related substance that has been the focus of considerable study (see "Guidelines on Exposure to Organomercurials" and "Thimerosal Toxicity", below).

At concentrations found in vaccines, thimerosal meets the requirements for a preservative as set forth by the United States Pharmacopeia; that is, it kills the specified challenge organisms and is able to prevent the growth of the challenge fungi (U.S. Pharmacopeia 2004). Thimerosal in concentrations of 0.001% (1 part in 100,000) to 0.01% (1 part in 10,000) has been shown to be effective in clearing a broad spectrum of pathogens. A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

Prior to its introduction in the 1930's, data were available in several animal species and humans providing evidence for its safety and effectiveness as a preservative (Powell and Jamieson 1931). Since then, thimerosal has been the subject of several studies (see Bibliography) and has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection.

While the use of mercury-containing preservatives has declined in recent years with the development of new products formulated with alternative or no preservatives, thimerosal has been used in some immune globulin preparations, anti-venins, skin test antigens, and ophthalmic and nasal products, in addition to certain vaccines. Under the FDA Modernization Act of 1997, the FDA compiled a list of regulated products containing mercury, including those with thimerosal (Federal Register 1999). It is important to note that this list was compiled in 1999; some products listed are no longer manufactured and many products have been reformulated without thimerosal. Updated lists of vaccines and their thimerosal content can be found in Table 1 (routinely recommended pediatric vaccines) and Table 3 (expanded list of vaccines).

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#thi

if mercury is only in the vaccines as a preservative to kill pathogens then why cant another pathogen killer be used in the place of mercury.

why couldn't silver be used for instance.

would silver be as dangerous as mercury.
silver is known to be highly effective as a preservative.

Quote:
Mercury is the second most toxic element on earth to plutonium. Toxicity of mercury has been linked to many different diseases, including autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, depression, and bipolar disorder. The amount of mercury found in one mercury thermometer is enough to pollute a small lake.

Health effects of mercury toxicity have been a concern because of the potential for it to act as a poison. Toxic doses of mercury can cause developmental effects in the fetus, as well as affecting the kidney and the nervous system in children and adults. Mercury exists in a number of different chemical forms, each one consisting of different levels of toxicity. The forms of mercury can also be converted from one to another in the environment and in the body, so symptoms caused by mercury poisoning depends on the precise chemical forms involved.

Mercury can be toxic when inhaled, eaten, or when placed on the skin. Low concentrations of mercury may appear to have no effect but signs of toxicity can develop later or become more noticeable with continued exposure. When toxicity in humans takes place loss of feeling or a burning sensation in arms and legs, psychological effects, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of hearing, paralysis, congenital malformations, kidney toxicity, and death may occur. Prenatal toxicity can result in a child with normal appearance at birth but who later exhibits a developmental delay in the ability to walk and/or talk. Because of the long latent period for observable effects, the need for treatment may be recognized too late.

Health effects vary according to the amount of mercury exposure is taken into the body. The health risks of mercury at low levels of exposure remain uncertain, but this continues to be a highly debatable topic with ongoing scientific investigation. Fetuses, infants and small children appear to be particularly sensitive to mercury because their brains are still developing. Vaccines with mercury have been considered to contribute to autism, learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other neurological conditions, and an FDA review conducted in 1998 determined that, at the time, children who received the full complement of childhood vaccines were potentially exposed to levels of mercury that were sometimes 30 to 50 times the acceptable levels established by the EPA.

High-level exposures to mercury can cause serious effects or even be lethal. Several historical examples of epidemic mercury poisonings in other parts of the world provide classic examples of investigative epidemiology and toxicology and serve to highlight the reasons why regulators are concerned about mercury. Effects on the brain and nervous system are frequently seen with high-level exposures to mercury and can be quite severe.

http://www.thimerosal-autism-symptoms.com/html/mercury.html

is the reason that big pharma uses mercury because of the
long term effects of mercury that mercury presents to those
who are injected with mercury?

in other words is mercury really the best preservative or
is big pharma lining up future income from the illnesses
that are the result of using mercury in vaccines.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: CDC
Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill
Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. ... However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

Bill Gill
Bill G, assuming that you are one who loves integrity and is familiar with the science issues involved in this thread, may I--a lover of the INTEGRAL approach to the philosophies, sciences and the arts, since, as a teenager, I first heard those words--ask you:

What, in your mind, ARE the issues involved, here--including any RED flags you may detect?

ME? I was born Jan. 14, 1930. So now you know that I am on my way to being 85, next January. It would be interesting to know: How many of us, from that year, are still with in this 3D dimension.

Not wanting to be a 3D being, forever; I am practising getting ready for the forth dimension.

BTW, in 1954-1955--as a graduate student at https://www.google.ca/#q=Boston+University+school+of+theology connected with the Harvard School of theology,--I just missed meeting Martin Luther King, one of 500, who was born, January 15, 1929.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/29/14 11:28 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site.

Quote:
However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

precautionary measure!

Quote:
Since 2001

after 71 years of non caution.

so only about 80% of the population has had the
non caution measured mercury injections?

silver looking flakes in the vial...( not actual silver )

Quote:
As for those 'imagined' silver flakes. Neither Benedetta, nor myself claimed them to be mercury in pure metal form, but they were obviously some kind of mercury containing precipitate.

Quote:
I do know that my kids DPT vials were shaken, by different nurses...I could actually see the silver flakes in the vial."

Scary or what!! "Thimerosal should be stored at room temperature protected from light", according to the Sigma product instructions, but vaccines require refridgeration. I can only shudder about those 'silver flakes' in the vials, injected into Benedetta's, (and GOD knows how many other) children.

Quote:
I do know that my kids DPT vials were shaken, by different nurses.

A young nurse that acted very conscientious got the vial out of the refrig, turned her watch over to her wrist so she could time it and then proceeded to turn it upside down and right side up during the alloted time- in a rather gentle manner.

I could actually see the silver flakes in the vial.

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/12/the-british-dimension-the-who-mercury-cover-up-and-the-cdc.html

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
WOW I am terribly worried smile

Perhaps you need to look at the average human intake of mercury

http://copublications.greenfacts.org/en/dental-amalgam/figtableboxes/table-1.htm

The intake from vaccines is only a fraction of estimated daily intake and you have it once a blue moon ... but hey it makes a great fantasy story smile

All I can say I hope you don't eat fish or have amalgam fillings if that rubbish worries you.

Personally I would take the odds of mercury poisoning any day over whatever the vaccine is stopping but hey you feel free to not take them Paul we just might get lucky yet smile

Last edited by Orac; 04/30/14 10:20 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac

Personally I would take the odds of mercury poisoning any day over whatever the vaccine is stopping but hey you feel free to not take them Paul we just might get lucky yet

I recall when I was young that I had most of the usual childhood diseases. Measles, chicken pox, mumps (kind of twice, I swelled up on one side, went down, then swelled up on the other side) I think whooping cough. When I was 7 I had something that nearly killed me. I don't remember it very well, mostly when I was recovering. I remember how good that poached egg tasted. It was the first "solid" food I had when I started getting better.

My sister had scarlet fever. For that we were quarantined. And afterward they treated the house with burning sulfur. That was standard practice at the time.

And of course there was always the worry about polio. None of us got it, but it was the big worry for parents.

There were plenty of normal childhood diseases that killed a number of children every year. My oldest sister died when she was about a year and a half old. This was in the "good old days" when we weren't being destroyed by all thse vaccines that are making us sick.

So I am with you Orac. The vaccines are really a lot better than what we get without them.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Im not worried about the mercury myself.

because I never get vaccines or shots , I don't even
remember the last time I had a shot.

I had the full round of immunization shots and the polio
sugar cubes in elementary school and the yearly round
of immunization injections in the service because I went
to a lot of different countries.

I used to get very sick during the winter months usually
because of the flu and then another flu then some other illness similar to the flu , every single year.

maybe we were sickness test subjects.

this happened every single year of my life until I stopped
getting shots and taking prescribed medicines and started using over the counter preventatives and cures that can
be bought in almost any health food store.

I went to a regular doctor back in 1989...

I don't get the flu anymore...
I don't get a cold anymore...

because I take preventative cautionary measures myself.

but you get sick several times every year , and so does bill
and Im right about that.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Can't remember the last time I was sick .... think it was probably from food poisoning in Mexico which is a couple of years ago.

To really throw your theory I have to have a Flu shot every year because I have a close friend with cancer who I visit regularly.

There goes that great theory that is about as good as some from Marosz smile

Last edited by Orac; 04/30/14 05:10 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Can't remember the last time I was sick .... think it was probably from food poisoning in Mexico which is a couple of years ago.

but that would only be true if it were true.

and I would only believe it , if I had a reason to believe you.

from what I have witnessed so far the truth comes out of you
only when you deem it necessary to accomplish a goal of yours.
so I have no reason to believe it.

It would be really hard for me to believe anyone about anything
who has turned his back on reality and chosen to follow a path
of fantasy such as QM.

Im sorry to hear about your friend with cancer , I hope you are
waiting at least 21 days after you get the treatment before you visit
him / her if you are getting the spray ( live virus ).

the spreadable side affects of the spray are
runny nose and coughing...

and each of these can infect others.

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill
Thanks, Bill G, for taking the trouble to find and to send us this valuable evidence-based info that will help us be healthier people--physically, mentally and spiritually, an interest of mine since I first became aware of being ME--a spiritual being with a mind and a body.
=========================================
ANATOMY OF AN ILLNESS (1979), by Norman Cousins
Comments by people who read it, including me, The RevLGK:
Quote:
It was the first book by a patient that spoke to our current interest in taking charge of our own health. It started the revolution in patients.

Diagnosed with a life-threatening and incurable condition, Cousins checked himself out of the hospital and basically healed himself with laughter, rest and Vitamin C.

A few years later, he recovered from a major heart attack on his own and wrote about that, too.

These books jump-started the whole field of mind-body medicine. Hundreds of books have followed in its tradition, for example, The Art of Getting Well:

Anatomy of an Illness holds up well. It's still relevant.

Not everything here will apply to most readers, because Cousins was a major cultural figure with many physicians among his friends. Not everyone would have his self-confidence or his sources of support.

But his ideas and his approach are more needed than ever today.

ABOUT NORMAN COUSINS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Cousins

Ten years later (1989), he wrote another great book, HEAD FIRST--The Biology of Hope, which I read, underlined and, to which, I added many notes.
===============================
HERE IS A TITLE I LIKE: SPIRIT FIRST--The Effect of Faith Hope & LOVE, Biologically Speaking, On the Mind and the Body

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/30/14 11:21 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul
but that would only be true if it were true.

and I would only believe it , if I had a reason to believe you.

Hmm strange I thought the same thing of your claim and I have seen how those in your religion lie. "You shall not bear false witness" is sort of only a guideline and it's way down at number nine and a quick ask for forgiveness to the ethereal goat and it's all fixed.

Don't you love the internet ... the truth is a moving target.

Ok tell you what lets settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth smile

I think GOD must be like Rev K says kind and gentle or else he has a great sense of humour because he still hasn't struck me down yet much to your disappointment.

Last edited by Orac; 05/01/14 02:37 AM.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Ok tell you what lets settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth

uh oh !

are you still alive? LOL

maybe we should just believe that what we believe to be the
truth is the truth and leave it to that.

however that type of thought in the back of our minds might
just help either of us to recover from an illness just to
spite the other.

Megastar
Megastar
Orac, to Paul you said,
Originally Posted By: Orac
... Ok tell you what! Let's settle this last one to drop dead was telling the truth smile

I think GOD must be like Rev K says, kind and gentle or else he has a great sense of humour because he still hasn't struck me down yet much to your disappointment.
Thanks for using the acronym GOD.

As I have said, often. I am NOT a theist--that is, one who believes there is a 'god' or one called, 'God', who has dimensions and who lives in spacetime, like we do--and as do IDOLS.

The 'God' [a proper noun] of theism, like all idols, is an easy target for atheists.

However, I am not an atheist, or even an AGNOSTIC--a useful word, BTW, which the great Julian Huxley created back the 1930s.

Orac, how about you? Atheist? Agnostic? Or what?

Paul, as one who respects all sincerely-held beliefs especially beliefs that help make the world a better place for all, I pause here and I ask you, politely: Are you a theist? Or what? If so, how do you respond to those who are not theists?
==============
ME? I AM A UNITHEIST
For me, it is a special way of thinking about 'god', what I like to call G~Õ~D.

PURE COINCIDENCE? OR DID G~Õ~D DO IT?

It still amazes me to think that the following really did happen: Warren Farr--an artist from Paducah, Ill., who I met, serendipitously, while surfing the NET--and I came up with name, UNITHEISM including the ideas behind this philosophy of religion, AT THE SAME TIME. BTW, we have never met, in person.

I think this happened before or close to 2004. Here is a site, about the philosophy, we agreed to create: www.unitheist.org

We work together and have a group on FaceBook. Check it out and join the group of 61 https://www.facebook.com/groups/unitheism/?ref=br_tf

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Orac, how about you? Atheist? Agnostic? Or what?

I am not really any of these I am open to there being a GOD but if there is a GOD I also know that entity must make sense within the structure of the universe.

The universe is so vast and so complex that it can not be entirely about humans and our here and now. It is so vast we could not possibly ever go and discover every part of it. So I have problems with religions that make everything about humans and here and now and ones that deal with apocalyptic endings of earth because that is not the end of the universe.

So much of my problem with religions is they concentrate on humans and our behaviour and we are a small fraction of what is in the universe. Sure our morality is important but it is not what drives the universe and I am not convinced that we were entirely what GOD is about.

Recently I saw something I thought I would never see which was a religious piece allowed on a very scientific site at the reference frame on Hinduism.

http://motls.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/hinduism-for-physicists.html

I was a little uneasy about the posting because although that religion does indeed seem to embrace science (at least in the version expressed by the poster) it can't help but create divisions in religion. You will note it couldn't help but offend some like Paul with it's comments

Originally Posted By: Kashyap Vasavada
At the same time, scientists should protest against ideas of young Earth creationism, intelligent design and anti-evolution propaganda.

Your religion Rev K appears to fold in and around science in a similar way and I suspect you could write a similar article but what it does is opens up conflicts with those that are in direct contradiction to science.

So I am against mixing religion and science because it simply promotes argument.

I have no issue with Paul for example having views that are directly violated by science. However we are supposedly a science site and if he wants to open a flame war I will more than happily engage because we have little moderation as you know with your exploits with TT.

An American friend of mine has a great joke

Q: what is worse than a man at your door with a gun?
A: A man at your door with a bible, you can legally shoot the man with the gun.

Last edited by Orac; 05/02/14 03:36 AM.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Rev and Orac

this thread is not about religion , orac for someone who
has such a hatred for religions as you do you certainly do
love to talk about religion.

rev for someone who does not believe in God you sure do like
to impose your version of what you want God to be in threads
that are not about religion.

amaranth could you please keep people from posting off topic?

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
ROFL would you like me to show you some of your posts that you have dumped in threads that is completely off topic ..... we have had several flames wars over them smile

BTW I don't hate religions I just hate that some religious people feel they have to come onto a science forum to attack science ... hmm I wonder what would happen if I joined a religion forum to attack them with science .... IT IS CALLED TROLLING and you are a prime specimen.

This whole tread is a TROLL ... science is bad and evil .... blah blah blah .... insert usual Paul rant here.

I am happy to try and obey the on topic general guideline but it was one post which rev asked a question and I was answering what did you want me to do make a new thread to answer it?

That said I do not intend to expand on the religious answer in this thread but no doubt the science is bad and evil garbage will continue and you aren't exactly discussing the science of the issue are you laugh

Last edited by Orac; 05/02/14 06:30 AM.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
science is bad and evil garbage

I see your finally awakening to the putrid reality of what
science has become , something akin to a whore house.

theres really nothing wrong with the house / science itself but the inhabitants / scientist give the house a bad name because of what they do while they work for money.

if you and mr lgking would like to discuss some topic
that is unrelated to science then either of you can start a topic in the NQS forum.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
And like this trash is science?????

Why isn't it in the NQS section you just admitted what this is really about smile

Please show me any reference that you have discussed that actually qualifies as science in this thread.

IT IS A PIECE OF TROLL RUBBISH THREAD ... IT'S NOT LIKE WE COULD MAKE IT WORSE.

Last edited by Orac; 05/02/14 06:07 PM.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
this thread is about science , you and mr lgking may have
vectored it in another direction , but the topic is about
science.

if science cannot withstand criticism of a product that scientist have produced and injected into millions and possibly billions of people then would you say that science
is scientific?

should science just dictate to the world and no one should
ever question science because science is so perfect that it
never need be questioned.

nothing in science is perfect and science constantly changes
its currently prevalent ideas for better ideas that perform
better.

you of all should know this, you being a QM crackpot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.