Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
"SPIRITURE"! Yes, the last word in the title above is a neo-logism. However, this time, it is my wife, Jean, who gets the credit for concocting it.

PERHAPS THE FULL TITLE OUGHT TO BE

Nature, Nurture & Spiriture--Three essential components of human life

The full title came into being as a result of undergraduate courses we took, in our 70s, at the Septuagint University. Now, we are taking postgrad studies at Octogenaria Univ. Great stuff, one of our mentors--we heard him on the CBC way back--was and is:

Steven Pinker is Peter de Florez Professor of Psychology at MIT and author of ''The Language Instinct,'' and ''How the Mind Works." This essay is adapted in part from his latest book, ''The Blank Slate.''

Here is a summary of some of the basic ideas:

https://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/dgentile/Psy101_notes/nature%20or%20nurture.htm
===================
Interested? Join in ...

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/05/14 04:14 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR,the following is a re-edit of the first post:
[quote=Revlgking]"SPIRITURE"! Yes, the last word in the title above is a neo-logism. However, this time, it is my wife, Jean, who gets the credit for concocting it.

The full title came into being as a result of undergraduate courses we took, in our 70s, at the Septuagint University. Now, in our mid-eighties, we are taking postgrad studies at Octogenaria Univ. Great stuff!...
Also, here is the signature
G~Õ~D?Think Great-Omni-Dazzlement--that is, Light in motion, which GeneratesOrganizes & Delivers all GOOD.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/06/14 04:55 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR, the following is a re-edit of the first post:

Originally Posted By: Revlgking
"SPIRITURE"! Yes, the last word in the title above is a neo-logism. However, this time, it is my wife, Jean, who gets the credit for concocting it.

The full title came into being as a result of undergraduate courses we took, in our 70s, at the Septuagint University. Now, in our mid-eighties, we are taking postgrad studies at Octogenaria Univ. Great stuff!...

Also, forget about the term the "BIG Bang"-- words jokingly coined by Fred Hoyle. The signature I use is an abbreviated form of:
Quote:
G~Õ~D? Think Great-Omni-Dazzlement--that is, light in motion, which Generates Organizes & Delivers. In good time--if we WILL it so to BE--it will also evolve into all that is beautiful, true and GOOD--that is, that which is god-like..

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/07/14 05:39 AM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
To Stanley Krippner (1932--) well-known American psychologist, and supporter of good and spirit-based causes.

I first connected with SK years ago.
REGARDING AN ARTICLE IN VOGUE ITALIA--circulated by causes.com with reference to violence done to women: I sent him the following greeting and thanks, recently, because he and I have both signed a petition against violence ... especially that done to women:
=============================

Well Stanley, we connect again.

Great! Greetings, from the King family of Canada to the Krippner family of the USA--where I know that both sides of the King family have numerous relatives and friends. I connected with many of them when, in 1954 & 1955, I did some post grad studies at Boston U, School of Theology.

Greetings also, from all of us who are volunteers--no paid staff, yet--of the FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION! www.flfcanada.com

Stanley, I assume you are familiar with the great book: Rediscovering the greatest human strength: WILLPOWER, by the social psychologist, Roy F. Baumeister and science writer, John Tierney, of the NY Times.

OBVIOUSLY WILLPOWER IS A TWO-EDGED SWORD
As members of the FLF, we are well aware that, while love-based WILL power is one that can be used to do much that is beautiful, good and true; hate-based WILL power can do the opposite--much that is ugly, painful, untrue and evil.

Therefore, we choose--that is, we will to connect with, tune into and use love-based WILLPOWER.

The goal of the FLF? It is to encourage the democratic unification of all families, willing to freely choose to be love-based, humane and to be of service to one another in time of need--whether we live in small communities, towns, cities, provinces, states, nations or simply as citizens of mother Earth.
AGAPE to one and all,
www.lindsayking.ca

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Catherine and others:
ABOUT NOVA BLOGS, PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physi...ment-1328305799
====================
DIMENSIONS OF THE UNIVERSE

Carbonrider, you answer Cory's basic and valid question--What is a dimension?--with the comment, "Dimensions are nothing more than degrees of freedom to move in or measure", which makes a lot of sense to me, THANKS!

For me, Reality has three basic components:

Nature, Nurture and Spiriture--a neologism, which I created, and use, to refer to the ability we, as human beings, have. We have the ability to reason, to imagine and be aware that we are self-aware, that is, spiritual beings.

Carbonrider, may I assume that you think of time as a dimension? Speaking of which, here is

MY CHRONOLOGY:
Born Jan. 14, 1930.

Sept., 1947, at 17, I Entered Mount Allison university www.mta.ca as a freshman--on my way
to a BA, I took basic maths, physics, English, French, Philosophy/Psychology (which, later, became my
major focus), along with Biblical Greek, Hebrew, History--including History of religions, philosophy, the arts and the sciences. This led to my interest, to this day, in reading about such subjects.

For more bio info, check out www.lindsayking.ca & www.flfcanada.com about the FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION, which I helped get started in 1973, to serve the public good, especially those in need of help.
==============

CHRONOLOGY OF ALFRED NORTH WHITEHEAD

Interestingly, it was on Dec. 30, 1947, that the great Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947) mathematician and philosopher, died and thus became free from the dimension we call time.
http://plato.stanford.edu/sear...,
http://plato.stanford.edu/entr...

TOPOLOGY OF TIME
http://plato.stanford.edu/entr...
===========================
ABOUT the Steady State cosmology versus the so-called Big Bang theory:
====================================================
In my reading I, years ago, I discovered it was a Belgian Jesuit priest, Abbe Georges Lemaitre who, in 1927 spoke of what he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom".

Before that, in the 1920s, Sir James Jeans was among the first to conjecture a steady state cosmology based on a hypothesized continuous creation of matter in the universe. The idea was then revised, in 1948, by Fred Hoyle ... and others. It is also reported that Hoyle, jokingly, referred to the Father Lemaitre hypothesis as a "Big Bang".

In my opinion, Hoyle's term was, and is, a misnomer. Rather than thinking of it as a big "BANG!" here is my opinion:

First, I make no claim that I am an astronomer. Simply using my imagination to think, know, do and grow, I prefer to say that, in the beginning, when there was nothing but a dark void (a black hole?) there was--at the right point--the beginning of a Great~Omni~Dazzlement--a darkness-dissipating flash of light.

BTW, for the latest info from astronomers, see the latest National Geographic, March 2014, p. 89-103.

As to the steady state cosmology: Theoretical calculations, astronomers tell us, eventually showed that a static universe was impossible under general relativity, and observations by Edwin Hubble had shown that the universe was--and is still is expanding.

G~Õ~D? --not a being, but Being itself. It is an acronym which, as a unitheist-- http://www.unitheist.org/ --some time ago, I concocted.

It inspires me to think of a Great~Omni~Dazzlement--that is, light in motion, which Generates Organizes & Delivers. In good time--if we WILL it so to BE--it will continue to evolve into all that is beautiful, true and GOOD--that is, that which is god-like in each and everyone of us ...

Lindsay
--
http://www.lindsayking.ca/
http://www.flfcanada.com
905-764-1125
==========================================

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
More advertizing for The Reverend Lindsay King and the FLF of Canada. Maybe you should start asking for donations.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
More advertizing for The Reverend Lindsay King and the FLF of Canada. Maybe you should start asking for donations.
"advertising?" Sure! Here is one, and I quote
Quote:
FOR THE RECORD: The FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION (FLF) is run entirely by volunteers. No fees are charged to those--and the number is growing--who come for help. This includes our food bank. Donations, which we use to help the needy, are always welcome. The Kings give generously, of time and money.

BTW, ABOUT: INTEGRATING NATURE, NURTURE AND SPIRITURE: The FLF has a CAUSE. We promote and call it the 4 UUUUs--the Unemployed, Underemployed, Underpaid and the Unhappy (this can include even the well-off, who suffer stress and depression. I talk to many who need help.) WE R 4U

INTRODUCING OUR NEW MEDICAL CONSULTANT. HE HAS OVER 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE--Dr. Zoltan Rona
He is a medical doctor and consultant with the FLF, who is also a biochemist and a devout advocate of complementary medicine. He gives a lots of free-advice to those who need it ... later I will tell how I met him when he was a young doctor (McGill grad), in the 80s & 90s. He came to some of the early programs of the FLF, and got the message to become holistic.

Recently, he has helped my wife and me, gerintologically ...
BTW, the FLF, with the help of SAGG also spreads the word about good centres of education, like Stanford University:

I assume that the following links now work:
http://plato.stanford.edu/search/searcher.py?query=Alfred+North+Whitehead,

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/whitehead/#WC

THE TOPOLOGY OF TIME
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/#TopTim

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"advertising?" Sure!..the FLF, with the help of SAGG ..

Just call me master of the obvious. At least were on the same page this time in regards to why you are here.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
MORE "ADVERTISING" cool
ABOUT: a really interesting forum:

==========================

QUESTION--about the art of communication:
Carbonrider, hmmm. Whence the interesting moniker? And which method of communication do you like, and/or prefer, to use? DIALOGUE? DEBATE? Or what?

Me? Thanks to Socrates and to the great DIALOGUES OF PLATO, I still like using this method. So here I CONTINUE:

Carbonrider, recently you responded to me, "Hmm, that's some interesting thought processes.

"In an answer to your question, I understand time to be " a " fourth dimension. ... But, I personally mingle in the definition of 4D as a space direction,
purely geometrical.

"However, using time as 4D is a great way to grasp
the concept, then apply it to space only. I firmly believe that there is
no time, but only space."

Carbonrider, feel free to call me Lindsay.

And keep in mind that even in as a curious child and especially in my early teens I was a lover of all
kinds of knowledge and ideas--including the weird kind of philosophies, sciences and the arts.

So I now assume it is okay with you for me to write to you as a theologian. Agreed?

With this in mind, may I also ask you about your comment above: You mention the words space and time. Is this where we get the word "spacetime"? Or is there a better word?

Also, here is a revised version of some of the comments and questions I mentioned above, which, way back, I remember coming to mind as I thought about what I intended to do when I finished high school in June, 1946.

At the time--number 7 in a family of eight--I was 16 and very happy that I had marks in all subjects, especially in the sciences, well above what were needed to qualify to enter university--the first in my much-appreciated family to get beyond grade 5.
Keep in mind: Our mother died of TB in 1935. Then, father became seriously ill with miner's lung and died in 1944. No medicare in those "good old" days.

Meanwhile, our oldest brother, Bill (then 34) and his good wife then led the family--the oldest brother and sister had died, of TB, in their 20s. Their only nurse was mother. Yes, there was some good news:

IN 1942, OUR NEW MINISTER WAS A MENTOR OF YOUTH

Interestingly, I soon found out that the person who became our minister--on www.bellisland.net --in the summer of 1942 (the year I was 12--was newly ordained and had also graduated from Mount Allison University--which is still connected with the United Church of Canada. www.mta.ca

When I expressed my interest to him that I dreamed of and would like to go university, he was delighted.

Here are just some of the questions I asked him at the time: At Mount A, a church-based university, is it OK to question the Bible and what it says about God? That is, a god--one with dimensions--who many people think
of and assume is a human-like supernatural being up there, or out there?
[More on this story, later on. And STAY TUNED!

About how I got the money I needed to get to MOUNT A ]

============
I now wonder what my minister--long since moved on to the next and freer dimension--would have responded had I then asked him:
God? Is He for you a male-like being with dimensions?

IS THEOLOGY A PHILOSOPHY/SCIENCE/ART, whatever, WITHOUT A SUBJECT? smile

How many in this forum are open to having a dialogue about God vs G~Õ~D?--an acronym, which for me indicates the
infinite oneness of total Reality, of Being itself and beyond the confining and not-so-free dimensions of the cosmos we are getting to know.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/13/14 07:39 AM. Reason: Always helpful

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
[b]MORE "ADVERTISING"
ABOUT: a really interesting forum:
I remember when you decided to advertize "wondercafe" and the moderator (before passing) decided to take down your thread.
You do like to mention all the forums that you visit, by exemplifying your beliefs thru the examples of dialogue that you copy and paste here.

Your emphasis is always on what you think is interesting about what you have to say to someone, to promote your personal beliefs.., which eventually leads back to highlighting you and the FLF.

As you once wrote, "You're in it for the attention."

Personally I have nothing against Narcissism.

I can understanding when someone has a need for something to fulfill themselves when they are empty inside.

I've found that those who preach of God, in whatever manner or form, to gain attention as well as the outside confirmation of the personal belief from others, depend on the support of those others, to fill the emptiness within.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
mm.. that was I can understand.. rather than I can understanding... sheesh

Anyway.. I know you're not displaying narcissism here rev. I'm sure that's done in private and at home. So what's done at home stays private and at home.
However the reaching out for attention thing... advertizing yourself and your conversations regarding your beliefs, and the personal biography on multiple websites. It kinda speaks to a need.
Usually you see that kinda thing with politicians when they are selling themselves to gain votes, or popularity in the opinion polls.
Or with the Jehovahs witnesses when they go door to door selling salvation thru the prescribed way...

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
In a recent dialogue I thanked GOD. Then I added G~Õ~D
========================================================
Note that I thanked GOD—and I pointed out that it is not to be confused with the noun, God—the word used by religionists and simple believers.

They use it to refer to a supernatural and human-like being, one with dimensions, which some worship and also affirm that HE exists, agnostics doubt and atheists reject.

For me it is an acronym that I like to use to mean all that is Good, Optimistic & Desirable—a concept that all good people can build on and benefit from.

The special acronym, G~Õ~D, takes this idea even further.

TT, keep in mind: All questions and fair comments, by ALL posters, are welcomed.
=====================

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
In a recent dialogue I thanked GOD. Then I added G~Õ~D
========================================================
Note that I thanked GOD—and I pointed out that it is not to be confused with the noun, God—the word used by religionists and simple believers.

They use it to refer to a supernatural and human-like being, one with dimensions, which some worship and also affirm that HE exists, agnostics doubt and atheists reject.

For me it is an acronym that I like to use to mean all that is Good, Optimistic & Desirable—a concept that all good people can build on and benefit from.

The word "Further" as you use it, would be relative.. as applied to your use of the word "They" in regards to the personal definition of religionists and "simple" believers.
By definition, you fit into the category of a religionist. Your anacronym is qualifying God within respect to special categories idealized by your beliefs, just as you qualify people with respect to title and background.

In the Bible the reference to Eve taking the bite out of the apple (which grew on the tree of knowledge in good and evil), is analogous of the central nervous system as it is directed outward on the senses.
The identification with duality, or the "construct" (of consciousness) as the predominant force in the universe.

Christianity was born of the Teachings of Advaita Vedanta. It was twisted as all teachings are when turned into a belief by people like yourself, who take the idea of the active forces of the universe and divide it into qualities that suit the individual lifestyle. That is religion.., anyone who reduces the ineffable into the limited qualities of duality such as opposites, to remove what is unfavorable in favor of that which is personally pleasing is a religionist.

Spiritual sciences in the Eastern Tradition as it was introduced to the west, has for centuries taught humanity that the outward senses, filtered thru belief and identification with the past, or filtered thru the personality subject to the ego, diversifies the amorphous and ineffable force of the universe into subjective qualities. Though the qualities exist within potential, Man takes his subjective experience to build his own castles of belief to define himself and the world around himself.

History has shown how religion teaches, preaches and even forcibly directs human beliefs toward its own ideals. It uses the ideas of what is not God, to control and manipulate people towards their own interests. That is religion, and religionist uses the personal value system to qualify themselves, and others.

What is "Good" becomes subjective, or bound within the social mores, religious beliefs and even politics. As is that which is Opportune and Desireable.
Your definition is pasted onto the idea of what Good people can build upon. All people are inherently Good and are at all times doing the best they can, regardless of the judgments of others and the pressures that are put upon them by those who insist they perform and live up to the standards of any authority.
Not all who call themselves religious, or athiest, or agnostic hold the same beliefs nor do they have the same life experiences, education or definitions of themselves.

The world today (as exemplified by the media) is obsessed with policing the social actions of anyone that they can objectify as being within the guidelines of good and desireable. You fit right in there rev.

The God of non-duality is within all things and all actions regardless of the man who creates idols of good and bad. The Universe abides in the dark as well as the light and does not judge.
Quote:
"The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you,
Not in a mansion of wood and stone.
Split a piece of wood and God is there,
Lift a stone and you will find God."
Man judges.

And Judgement is not a bad thing in light of the fact that we can evolve into greater understanding of ourselves and the actions that promote expansion of awareness, over the limitations of contraction that come from fear and delusion. However judgment made from ignorance of reality is going to be confined to the personal experience and the limits of ones grasp of the infinite. If a person thinks they can reduce it to the personal concept and then corral the rest of the universe and all diverse experience and judgment into their ideal package, they will die trying without ever succeeding. Even if they spent thousands of lifetimes trying, it would never happen. Even if you had all the humans ever born throughout time to back you up, you could never take the infinite and reduce it into definition.

At best you could point towards something and then if you decided to, dive into the exploration of it. But that is not what religion or people like you do. What you did is go to school, read books by others and then make an assumption without ever really taking the mind and senses into the reality of God... but I digress spending time describing your religious shortcomings...

Man as an entity is more of a participant within a much larger organism than an individual entity, and it supports a larger consciousness than that of the emergent ego.

All things are connected and all actions support each other. Light doesn't exist without darkness and the very definitions of good could not exist without the contrasting experiences that support the good, as they are labeled as something other than desirable, like something bad.

You're an idol worshiper reverend. You idealize your past in that you believe the hard times pushed you into taking action to be better, but you favor the outcome more than the stimulus which pushed you to make your choices. Now you want to pat yourself on the back..., get recognition from others for your choices, and gather others around you to create a club for those who made similar choices...

Everyone evolves in their own way. A single lifetime is hardly an eternity, and it's a far reach to believe any single individual could grasp the reality of the infinite in a single lifetime. (the ones who don't try and have emptied their cup are better equipped to receive the flow of information from the infinite than those who fill their cups with their righteousness of personal identification) The world is a diverse place and its history is full of experience and knowledge that few could understand. People take from the shelf what they believe they must have, without ever understanding the enormity of what is available in the store.

TT, keep in mind: All questions and fair comments, by ALL posters, are welcomed.
=====================

Keep in mind that fairness is relative, and that you don't draw much attention because of the fact that you consistently turn the conversation towards the personal narcissism of your identification with your self and your beliefs, as an idol of worship.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
So rev.... seeing as how you just wrote 3 letters to me and the moderators in response to my last post, detailing how another poster made reference in the past to my posts as being mind numbing in order to help reinforce your judgment of my offensiveness.., I take it you have some kind of stress around my objectivity?
It's OK if you don't like me rev. It's the emotional reactions and the judgments in the people and in our surroundings that gives contrast to ourselves, and our idealized and projected superior God of personal preference. It's also the qualities we superimpose upon our God in order to make ourselves righteous and true.
C'est la vie.. frown

Out of curiosity, when you make reference to your idea

God—the word used by religionists and simple believers
use it to refer to a supernatural and human-like being, one with dimensions, which some worship and also affirm that HE exists, agnostics doubt and atheists reject.

What system of measure (other than one that is personal) do you use to make the assumption that your special acronym has more meaning than the "simple" word God, (used by simple believers) to anyone, other than yourself?

Are you making negative assumptions regarding the word God when its not special, or a special acronym, and how it influences or affects those others that you refer to that are just, simple believers?
Does it affect a persons lifestyle if they don't share your perspective? Does it affect a person if they have no God?
If they don't share the same perspective as you, do you assume as you have with me, that anything they have to say is (as you put it to me),
what does NOT make me glad is having to wade through excessive piles of TT's meaningless (at least to me) verbalism filled with three things: 1. Nonsense 2. Nonsense and 3. Nonsense.

Is this what you say and think behind the scenes in private about those who are not fitting within your definitions of good, or for you opportune and desirable?

Is there more G~Õ~D in some things than in others, or in some people than there is in others?

What sets you apart from those simple folk that you mentioned, and how does making up a special acronym make one stand out further than another?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
TT, you're making an awful lot of negative assumptions about people. Please don't spread your negativity all over the SAGG board. If you can't be pleasant, at least keep it to yourself.
Amaranth Rose II, gracious person that you appear to be, you gently warned TT:
Quote:
"TT... If you can't be pleasant, at least keep it to yourself."
AR II, warning: It appears that TT, as I suspected, in not a real person. shocked This could mean that SAGG mods need to explore the possibility that TT could be a bug-filled AP, that is, a crazy robot claiming to be, G.O.D.? Take note of the hobbies and location given by #2115
Quote:
Member #: 2115 Online
Title: Megastar
Total Posts: 1100
Registered on: Thu Jun 19 2008 12:28 PM
Add to UBB Buddies | Stop ignoring this user | Add to Watched Users | Show User's Posts
About Me
Hobbies: spinning navel lint into infinite dimensional universes and potentials

Interestingly, St.Augustine once defined God as being like a circle with a centre that is nowhere and a circumference that is everywhere.

Even proper nouns, like 'God', put limits on the meaning we get from words. This is one of the reasons for why I prefer using the acronyms for 'god' that I do.
====================
AR II, GREAT LESSONS I LEARNED IN THE LAST FEW DAYS:

1. I learned that GOOD and VALUABLE posters are usually kind, caring and loving people with good intentions, high morals, and write as though they really care about the sincere opinions of others. Those who are such posters will soon demonstrate this in what they write and how they write it.

2. I learned: We must never assume that all posters who write to SAGG--and/or to other forums--have the good of the forum and all sincere members in mind.

Usually there are always a few bullies around who get their kicks out of mocking, flaming, shaming and blaming others. Check out the following--the first forum I joined:

[b]WEALTH, WISDOM AND WELL-BEING

--a brief story of how one such forum, one with a great format, was destroyed by a three bullies--one of whom--a relatively young person--died of a massive brain-based stroke in the process.

WWW was HOSTED BY Jonathan Chevreau (JC)--A financial writer long associated with THE FINANCIAL POST--part of the National Post--was the first forum on the WWW--the World Wide Web--to which I was invited and joined. JC called it THE WEALTHY BOOMER--with the URL www.wealthyboomer.com Defunct long since.

As noted above, the forum had three sections: W-Wealth (about the economy), W-Wisdom (about the philosophy of Life and Religion) & W-Well Being (about physical and mental health issues).

Because JC was too soft-hearted, WWW was destroyed by three bullies

3. I learned:THE VALUE OF THE IGNORE BUTTON

After a few of the robotic kind of posts filled with NONSENSE--I LEARNED NOT TO TRY AND REASON with posters who IGNORE, or even mock, the rules.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Aw rev.
When rose said to get over it, you just couldn't let it go..
How sad that you can't find peace with what you draw into your life thru your beliefs.

Perhaps you should ask G~Õ~D to get in touch with whatever forces are in conflict with all that is good, desirable and opportunistic in putting you first and foremost above all others and all things.

Revenge shouldn't suit a man of religious title. But then again it was a habit of the church in the past, to carry out the vengeance of G~Õ~D thru methods of torture and genocide when anyone didn't adopt the beliefs and ideals of the Church... (ref. crusades and Spanish inquisition, witch hunts etc..)

Do they still teach that in the Religious institutions where men want to pin the title of reverend upon their resume's, or is that just a karmic carry over coming about from a past life where the dark forces and vengeful tendencies were never resolved?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
I really do thank G~Õ~D! that for Christmas 2012, my wife, Jean gave me the book, THE UNIVERSE WITHIN--From Quantum to Cosmos, by NEIL TUROK

Turok, a provocative and inspiring writer, teaches at The University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Recently, on the CBC, I heard him speak. Excellent! He covered topics--and very simply explained for those of us who love reading such ideas--about which I have been reading all my life.

The Universe Within--WHAT A TITLE! Please take note of how Sir Roger Penrose, author of The Road to Reality calls, describes this amazing book:
Quote:
"An elegant, informative and sometimes moving account, free from technicalities, of the powerful scientific, philosophical and humanitarian influences underlying the personal drives of this highly distinguished mathematical physicist. I strongly recommend it."

It was this book that inspired me to concoct the acronym and neo-logism above. For the full story, check out:

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/massey-...niverse-within/

The acronym G~Õ~D is simply a short way of thinking, writing and speaking of the Great-Omni-Dazzlement (flash of light) that Generates Organizes & Delivers, especially that which is Good, Optimistic and Desirable to all of us--who WILL and choose to follow the principle of the GOLDEN RULE.

WHAT BANGED? is the title Neil gives chapter three--59 pages--of his great book. Later I will try to summarize some of what he says in answer to the ?

In my opinion, the term BIG bang--a silly joke first proposed by astronomer, Fred Hoyle (an atheist) was, and is, a misnomer.

BIG bang was, I have read, never used by Abbe Georges Lemaitre, the Belgian priest who, in 1927, first proposed the idea of an expanding universe.

ORAC and other science writers here, especially any astronomers & physicists: I hope you will comment on this.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/16/14 05:52 PM. Reason: Always helpful

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

The acronym G~Õ~D is simply a short way of thinking, writing and speaking of the Great-Omni-Dazzlement (flash of light) that Generates Organizes & Delivers, especially that which is Good, Optimistic and Desirable to all of us--who WILL and choose to follow the principle of the GOLDEN RULE.

Speaking of the Golden rule and that which is measured as good desirable and optimistic...

"If you get attacked by an older bully, it is not wrong for you to use whatever you find--a stick, a rock, whatever ... to defend yourself.

Depending on the personal interpretation of an ensuing attack.. I see that when determined by your standards of "Goodness" that when interpreting said "threat" and you feel that you are being intimidated, you feel it is G~Õ~D-like to use whatever means it takes to retaliate in order to achieve the solution you described as
when the best one wins and you are ready to shake hands.
Who determines who is best, and what is won when taking the perception of a threat into violence? Does the winner of the violent altercation ensure the argument will not repeat itself to where the person feeling attacked resorts to whatever extreme measure to retaliate or is the theory to win thru changing the others beliefs and experiences to achieve total submission?
The Bible speaks of turning the other cheek. Obviously your interpretations of being G~Õ~D-like doesn't prescribe to that particular passage but more to the one of the "Eye for an Eye" kinda thing, or along the lines of taking revenge.
Part of that old Crusade mentality to force the perceivable threat into submission and compliance in behavior and action, based on the measure of who or what is better or more G~Õ~D-like?
I can see you still cling to that past life thing when you were part of the ruling class known as the Pharisees and Sadducees two thousand years ago.

This brings again into the conversation your interpretations of what is inclusive or exclusive to your G~Õ~D.

Being that you follow the golden rule of doing unto others with a rock or a stick or whatever is available to best another, I assume you have no qualms about another, who in their interpretation (when alone), make the assumption that you have attacked their character or their person with intent to commit harm.

I assume you would accept that the better man would achieve the results of besting the other, and then possibly (if the man is still conscious or alive) afterwards offer his hand (to the man overcome by violence) the promise of friendship.. crazy

Perhaps if you were to use a club, or a rock or any object to the extent of knocking the other unconscious, he or she might experience your G~Õ~D as a flash of Great-Omni-dazzling light! wink

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 04/16/14 06:38 PM. Reason: G~Õ~D made me do it

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
YES, WE ALL HAVE PHYSICAL & MENTAL NATURES. But, IMO, there is a third component, SPIRITURE.

Scientists at SAGG--feel free to challenge me on this!
Let us have a dialogue about what I like to call: THE THREE ESSENTIAL HUMAN COMPONENTS, OK?

It is my opinion we ARE SPIRITURES--that is, Spiritual and Self-AWARE human beings. We are responsible to nurture our natures to be of service to G~Õ~D--that is, total REALITY, others and self.

RHETORIC? The art of discourse, using words to persuade and influence others. Obviously like all the arts--and I include the philosophies, religions and sciences--it can be used for good or evil. When used for good of course, it is
Quote:
... an art that aims to improve the capability of writers or speakers that attempt to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations. As a subject of formal study and a productive civic practice, rhetoric has played a central role in the Western tradition.
Beware of the negative use of rhetoric, especially rhetorical questions.

RHETORICAL QUESTIONS? (RQ) Are usually asked only for effect, to put others on the defensive, to start a fight and often in the form of putting down another, not to get useful information.

For example, who do you think YOU are? is a RQ. So is, who taught YOU how to drive?

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK?
BTW, I have never had this experience, physically--I have in other ways. If it ever happened physically, and I survived the blow, here is what I have in mind to say, as calmly as possible:

Quote:
"BEWARE, I have only ONE cheek left. And I am prepared to defend it, OK!" [BTW 2, I have actually preached on this saying of Jesus. Later, I will comment more ... ]

SOPHISTRY? A cleaver but misleading argument.
Here is some of what Plato said about it:
Quote:
... another key rhetorical theorist, Plato defined the scope of rhetoric according to his negative opinions of the art.

He criticized the Sophists for using rhetoric as a means of deceit instead of discovering truth.

In "Gorgias," one of his Socratic Dialogues, Plato defines rhetoric as the persuasion of ignorant masses within the courts and assemblies.

Rhetoric, in Plato's opinion, is merely a form of flattery and functions similarly to cookery, which masks the undesirability of unhealthy food by making it taste good.

Thus, Plato considered any speech of lengthy prose aimed at flattery as within the scope of rhetoric.

===============================================
BTW, I have learned NOT to waste time and energy trying to have a dialogue,or a DEBATE with people who fear being known as real people--whose location is "everywhere and nowhere". smile

THE ART OF DEBATING? ....................LATER.

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/17/14 05:20 AM. Reason: Always helpful

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I have learned NOT to waste time and energy trying to have a dialogue,or a DEBATE with people who fear being known as real people--whose location is "everywhere and nowhere". smile

Is your G~Õ~D not everywhere, and nowhere specifically? Or is your God specifically sequestered in the idealisms of your personal reality? Is your G~Õ~D represented by title and circumstance or does your G~Õ~D reveal itself thru the merits of its reality?

Personally I don't think the subject matter within any discussion need rely on the pomp and circumstance of egoic self made claims to fame and glory in order to validate the topic at hand.
I believe the subject matter might have some interest in and of itself, rather than the sole purpose of all subject matter be used to bolster the self worth of the speaker of opinion and to polish the self appointed badges of glory worn by the opinionated speaker.

Narcissism is not my thing. The Fact that you know nothing about me really bothers you. You've done nothing but complain of this as a major issue of worth when it comes to whatever dialogue comes of someone. Without some measure of predetermined worth in your mind, a person without title and background is a person without worth.
Ces't la vie.
Your prejudice and judgment is not an issue I fret over.
Your stresses are self imposed and it's not my concern that you are old enough to have figured out that your attachments to what others do, or what they might or might not look like in order to fit into the mold of your personal G~Õ~D is solely of your own design and making.

Age doesn't account for wisdom.. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.