Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Revealed:The vast reservoir hidden beneath the Earth's crust that holds as much water as ALL of the oceans
Believed to be 400-600 kilometres (250-375 miles) beneath our feet
1.5 percent of the rock analysed comprises molecules of water
First time researchers have ever found ringwoodite, a mineral in the Earth's mantle - after discovering it in a $20 diamond

Researchers say discover could have a 'profound' effect on our understanding on Earth

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...l#ixzz2vs57Ihcd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If I recall in a previous thread , one of the main objections
to the account in the Bible of the Great Flood ( Noahs Ark ) was that there could not have been enough water to cover all of the mountains on the earth.

Looks like that objection no longer holds water!

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, I thought about you when that news broke.

How aware are you of the actual situation, and the way in which this “water” would be incorporated into the mantle?

As so often happens, the media have (perhaps with some justification in the light of Graham Pearson’s over exuberance) dramatised the situation.

One minute “drop” of water in one crystal of ringwoodite from one location in the transition zone is hardly proof of subterranean “oceans”.

If that amount of water really is there it will be built into the crystal lattices of the minerals. Try wringing water out of an opal!

Much of the so-called water in rocks is incorporated as OH molecules, which are not even wet, but are commonly referred to as "water" content.

A lot more samples, from a lot more locations, would be needed to provide anything like scientific proof of anything remotely “oceanic”. For the moment, it’s little more than media hype.

Quote:
It echoes the hundred and fifty year old novel, 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth', in which French science-fiction forerunner Jules Verne pictured a vast sea that lay deep under our planet's surface.

Mail = Encyclopaedia fox populi. laugh

Quote:
Analysis shows that 1.5% of the rock comprises molecules of water.

1.5% of what; a miniscule crystal of ringwoodite?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I suppose its a little too early to be defending the find.
the article was published today.

I can say that an increase of temperatures would release the
O and H from the crystals as the crystals become liquid.

as the O and H gasses rise to the surface fractures in the rock can produce electric discharges due to pressure buildup and sudden release which could combine the H and O into H20 molecules forming water and the gasses that reach the surface could be combined into water as lightning could combine the H and O into water as H20.

also it could just as easily rain for 40 days and 40 nights...

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
also it could just as easily rain for 40 days and 40 nights...

And that would have been quite a deluge. In 40 days and 40 nights it rained 29,000 feet over all the surface of the Earth. To simplify the math let's say 28,000. That comes to 70 feet per day, or approximately 3 feet per hour. I'm surprised the ark didn't swamp under that kind of a deluge.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I can say that an increase of temperatures would release the
O and H from the crystals as the crystals become liquid.

It is relatively easy to extract water from a mineral such as selenite (CaSO4.2*H2O) by heating; but not so easy to extract it from the hydrated form of talc (Mg3Si4O10(OH)2.) and less easy from a ring silicate, which is the sort of thing you would be more likely to have to deal with in the mantle.

Then you would have to explain where sufficient heat came from to dewater the transition zone, and drive that water to the surface.

If you did that you would have to explain how the transition zone could shrink by about 1% without causing major tectonic disruption to the overlying mantle and crust, which, far from having shrunk, would have to swell to accommodate the passage of the water.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
as the O and H gasses rise to the surface fractures in the rock can produce electric discharges due to pressure buildup and sudden release which could combine the H and O into H20 molecules forming water and the gasses that reach the surface could be combined into water as lightning could combine the H and O into water as H20.

Possibly this could produce relatively small quantities of water, but to produce the quantities necessary for the “flood” would result in the sort of tectonic disturbances that would have left a very distinctive mark in the geological record, everywhere in the world.

I think you might have to find evidence of worldwide, contemporaneous volcanic activity of the sort that formed the Deccan Plateau before you could make a cogent argument for dewatering the transition zone.

If you could do that, and explain the source of the heat, you could probably make a good argument for the water evaporating and resulting in a vast amount of rain. You might have trouble fitting it all into the Biblical time scale, though.

Stick with it Paul, I welcome any excuse to rethink my rusty geology.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
And that would have been quite a deluge. In 40 days and 40 nights it rained 29,000 feet over all the surface of the Earth.

yes , but you shouldnt confuse this deluge with the comparatively low amounts of rainfall that the earth receives due to solar radiation.

thats kind of like comparing a firecracker to a hydrogen bomb.

Quote:
That comes to 70 feet per day, or approximately 3 feet per hour.

there are recent records that show several feet in a 24 hour period from solar radiation alone and that radiation is
apx 93 million miles away.

Quote:
I'm surprised the ark didn't swamp under that kind of a deluge.

it was probably really rough at first but as more and more land was covered the water would calm down because it could flow over the areas where land once blocked it from flowing.

like the smooth rolling waves in the middle of todays oceans.

Quote:
Then you would have to explain where sufficient heat came from to dewater the transition zone, and drive that water to the surface.

try this

from around 130,000 years ago until
around 13,000 years ago a very large amount of the earths
water became locked up in ice.

the ice formed around the north and south poles.
and extended towards the equator for thousands of miles
and was several miles thick.

thats a lot of weight moving to the center of rotation
and this movement of mass to the center of rotation caused
the earths crust to spin faster.

so the earths crust was spinning much faster than it is today.

and the friction between the magma and the earths core caused an enormous amount of heat that was transfered into the magma
this caused the transition zone to heat up , and along with the heating up , the magma that melted the transition zone and filled the transition zone expanded the way that magma / all matter does due to temperature increases.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Thats a lot of weight moving to the center of rotation and this movement of mass to the center of rotation caused the earths crust to spin faster.

That may seem like a lot of ice, and a lot of weight, but in relation to the volume of the Earth it's not a lot.

Consider that the oceans comprise about 0.1% of the volume of the Earth, and that there is no evidence that at any point the oceans were completely frozen. That is, unless you include the Pre-Cambrian "Snowball Earth" theory; and I suspect the Pre-Cambrian may be a bit far in the past for your liking.

Another consideration here is that the oceans form part of the crust, as did the ice, so the phase change from water to ice is not going to add weight to the crust. The transfer of water from the oceans to ice on the land caused isostatic readjustment, but that would not involve the sort of movement that would increase friction in the transition zone.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
the problem with your reply is that the earths crust only makes
up apx 1% of the earths volume.

the earths crust is like the rubber part of a inflated rubber balloon.

the crust is not attached to the magma underneath it and the earths crust floats on top of the magma.

the crust , the mantle , and the core all spin independently of each other and at different speeds from each other.

Quote:
The planet Earth is made up of three main shells: the very thin, brittle crust, the mantle, and the core; the mantle and core are each divided into two parts. All parts are drawn to scale on the cover of this publication, and a table at the end lists the thicknesses of the parts. Although the core and mantle are about equal in thickness, the core actually forms only 15 percent of the Earth's volume, whereas the mantle occupies 84 percent. The crust makes up the remaining 1 percent. Our knowledge of the layering and chemical composition of the Earth is steadily being improved by earth scientists doing laboratory experiments on rocks at high pressure and analyzing earthquake records on computers.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/interior/

I could clearly understand your comment if the earth were a solid ball , because that amount of mass moving towards the center of rotation would not matter much at all.

but the earth is far from being a solid ball.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
the earths crust is like the rubber part of a inflated rubber balloon.

Not the best analogy, Paul.

Quote:
the crust is not attached to the magma underneath it and the earths crust floats on top of the magma.

This suggests that there is a layer of magma under the crust. That is not quite the situation. Magma occurs only locally, where temperature is higher than in surrounding areas.

You are absolutely right in saying that the comparing the Earth to a solid ball is not right, in that it is a dynamic body, but in the normal usage of the word, it's quite solid, the internal movement is very slow. It is a common mistake to think that the motion of tectonic plates involves the sliding of crustal plates over the mantle at the Mohorovicic discontinuity. In fact, the upper mantle moves with the plates.

Quote:
the crust , the mantle , and the core all spin independently of each other and at different speeds from each other.

There is a small difference between the rate of rotation of the core and mantle, but as far as I am aware, the only difference between the movement of crust and mantle is caused by plate movements, which is certainly not unidirectional spin, and the plane of differential motion is not at the base of the crust.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Thats a lot of weight moving to the center of rotation and this movement of mass to the center of rotation caused the earths crust to spin faster.

Quote:
That may seem like a lot of ice, and a lot of weight, but in relation to the volume of the Earth it's not a lot.

to me that sounds like you were saying that the rest of the earth would prevent the crust from spinning faster because of
its mass , like it were a solid.

Quote:
Consider that the oceans comprise about 0.1% of the volume of the Earth

Quote:
Another consideration here is that the oceans form part of the crust, as did the ice, so the phase change from water to ice is not going to add weight to the crust.

I didnt say that weight would be added to the crust , did I?

Quote:
It is a common mistake to think that the motion of tectonic plates involves the sliding of crustal plates over the mantle at the Mohorovicic discontinuity. In fact, the upper mantle moves with the plates.

I didnt say anything about the sliding of the plates , I said that the earths crust would spin faster.

Quote:
but that would not involve the sort of movement that would increase friction in the transition zone.

I didnt say that either , I said this

Quote:
and the friction between the magma and the earths core caused an enormous amount of heat

when I wrote this.

Quote:

I meant the earth floats on the mantle , not the magma.

still any increase of spin of the crust will translate into heat inside the earth , the spin that we have today causes
the temperature of the bottom of the earths crust to reach
temperatures of 1600 F +.

if the earths core did not spin at a different speed than
the earths crust then the earth would freeze solid.

there would be no friction to heat the earth.

in fact the extra spin of the crust that would be the result
of ice gathering at the poles is possibly the reason that
the earth has recovered ( began to warm up ) at the height
of the many ice ages it has had in the past.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, given that you didn't say the various thing you claim you didn't say, I shall have to devote a little effort to finding out what you actually said and seeing if it makes any sense to me.

Perhaps we are making the mistake of trying to cover too many different points in a single post. How about we take one point at a time?

Let's start with this.

Quote:

If you were not saying that this involved an increase in mass/weight of the crust, why would there be any difference in the tendency for movement towards the centre of rotation before and after the formation of ice?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
If you were not saying that this involved an increase in mass/weight of the crust, why would there be any difference in the tendency for movement towards the centre of rotation before and after the formation of ice?

If you were not saying that this involved an increase in mass/weight of the crust,

its not an increase of mass/weight of the crust.

why would there be any difference in the tendency for movement towards the centre of rotation before and after the formation of ice?

that is explained a little better further down.

Quote:

thats a lot of weight moving to the center of rotation...

the earths crust holds the oceans weight , the sea level of
the earths oceans undergo a significant drop during an ice age.

apx 100 meters lower than today.

and this movement of mass to the center of rotation

the worldwide drop in sea levels of apx 100 meters gathered
at and around the earths poles.

caused the earths crust to spin faster.

if you understand physics then you understand that by moving
mass toward the center of rotation gives energy to the rotation (increases the rotational speed).

there does not need to be any additional force applied for the
increased rotational speed and there does not need to be any additional mass added for the increased rotational speed.

the reason that the rotational speed increases is because the
energy needed for angular acceleration of mass further from the center of rotation is greater than the energy needed for angular acceleration of mass when it is closer to the center of rotation.

since the earths crust already had angular momentum before the
ice age relocated a vast amount of the earths ocean water to the poles , any movement of mass to the poles would add angular
acceleration to the earths crust increasing the angular momentum of the earths crust. (increasing its rotational speed)

picture one of the round swimming pools that you can buy
20 feet in diameter and has a height of 5 feet and its filled with water.

only it is made of stainless steel.

it holds 1,570 cu ft of water.

in the center of the pool there is a 2 foot diameter stainless steel drain pipe that is capped at the bottom and extends to a verticle depth of 500 ft.

the pipe is baffled so that water can not spin inside it.

it can hold 1570 cu ft of water.

the drain pipe is not filled with water.

at the top of the drain pipe there is a water valve that
when opened will allow water to flow through it at a
flow rate of 1 gallon per minute.

the water valve is remotely controlled.

the entire contraption is attached to an axle and the axle is mounted on frictionless bearings.

you apply a force that rotates the pool containing the drain pipe and the valve and the 1,570 cu ft of water to a rotational speed of 1 rev per 24 hours.

the valve is remotely turned on and water begins to flow from the pool into the 500 ft of drain pipe.

after 1,570 minutes have passed the pool will be empty and the drain pipe will be full , and the pool the drain pipe and valve and water will be rotating faster than you first rotated it.

there has been no weight added , there has been no energy added (except that used to open the valve), there has been no additional momentum added.

if you calculate the initial momentum and the final momentum
it will be the same. (or the difference will be negligible)

the overall contraption is rotating faster.

1,570 gallons of water has moved closer to the center of rotation.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I understand the physics of moving mass toward the centre of rotation increases the speed of rotation, but I thought it wise to make sure we were talking about the same thing before moving on.

Quote:
since the earths crust already had angular momentum before the ice age relocated a vast amount of the earths ocean water to the poles , any movement of mass to the poles would add angular acceleration to the earths crust increasing the angular momentum of the earths crust. (increasing its rotational speed)

Two points are worthy of note here:

1. The build up of the vast thickness of ice took thousands of years. Over those same thousands of years local vertical movements of crust and upper mantle would take place as isostatic equilibrium was slowly restored. The maximum ice thickness would, roughly, be contemporaneous with the maximum crustal depression, thus minimising the effect you describe.

2. As far as I am aware the Mohorovičić discontinuity does not constitute a surface of slippage on a global scale. Perhaps I should look these things up rather than relying on memory, but where do you get the idea that the crust and mantle spin at different rates?

As I said above; I am aware that there is a difference between the rotation rates of core and mantle. The difference would be between inner core and mantle, and it is the core that rotates faster. What evidence do you have that the crust might rotate faster than the mantle?

You may point out that you didn’t say that, but if increasing rotational speed of the crust increases friction, then it cannot be because the mantle was formerly rotating faster.

I like your contraption, but it bears little, if any, relation to the situation in question. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, you might want to check the math on how much the Earth would speed up with the weight of the water moved to the poles. On a very simplistic calculation I find that the mass of 100 feet of water from the surface of the ocean would be about 2.35 * 10^16 lbs. The mass of the Earth is about 1.32 * 10^26 lbs. That means that 1/10,000,000,000 of the Earth's mass would be moved to the polar regions. I'm afraid that amount of mass would have almost no effect on the rotational speed of the Earth.

Your explanation that the crust is not rotating at the same speed as the core doesn't really help all that much. They are still coupled together by fluid dynamics, and the whole Earth would have to speed up. Keep in mind that fluid coupling works quite well in the transmissions of most cars on the road today.

In your example with the fancy funnel the vast majority of the mass of the system would move to the axis of rotation. That would have significant effect on the rotational speed of the system. So it is not a very good analogy to the problem of the water moving to the poles.

And one very minor correction. You kept talking about the water moving close to the center of rotation of the Earth. You probably meant the axis of rotation, which is a more correct statement. The center of rotation is at the center of the Earth, approximately equidistant from all points on the Earth's surface.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill
That means that 1/10,000,000,000 of the Earth's mass would be moved to the polar regions. I'm afraid that amount of mass would have almost no effect on the rotational speed of the Earth.

Even that small effect is diminished by isostatic readjustment.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I've just looked back at my earlier post. I guess I shouldn't have put the accents on the "c"s of Mohorovicic! I assume that's the problem.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Bill S.
Quote:
but where do you get the idea that the crust and mantle spin at different rates?

I just figured it did when I thought about what could cause the
earth to recover from the many ice ages in its past.

Quote:
but if increasing rotational speed of the crust increases friction, then it cannot be because the mantle was formerly rotating faster.

it just so happens that the core does spin faster than the earth , not only does it spin faster it spins in
opposite directions , the inner core super rotates in a
eastward direction , the outer core rotates in a westward
direction while the earths crust rotates in a eastward direction.

that doesnt really sound like theres much solidarity
going on in there.

Quote:
What evidence do you have that the crust might rotate faster than the mantle?

the mantle , in my opinion moves at apx the same speed
and direction as the crust where the two meet , then as depth increases the speed of the mantle gradually decreases until
at some depth the speed of the mantle goes to zero and then reverses direction as it is dragged into a new direction by the westward spinning outer core.

the mantle obviously isnt a solid , so it would follow the way
that a fluid would react in this same situation.

of course there is much more to it than the above , but that should do as a summary.

I believe that the core moves around inside the earth also.
and spins at more than one direction.

Bill

Quote:
Paul, you might want to check the math on how much the Earth would speed up with the weight of the water moved to the poles. On a very simplistic calculation I find that the mass of 100 feet of water from the surface of the ocean would be about 2.35 * 10^16 lbs. The mass of the Earth is about 1.32 * 10^26 lbs. That means that 1/10,000,000,000 of the Earth's mass would be moved to the polar regions.

its a good thing that the crust isnt attached to the other 99%
of earths mass.

and it was 100 meters not 100 ft.

and you would need to remember that the crust only makes up
apx 1% of the earths mass and volume I think.

and the seas make up only .1% of the earths volume.

Quote:
Consider that the oceans comprise about 0.1% of the volume of the Earth,

Quote:
I'm afraid that amount of mass would have almost no effect on the rotational speed of the Earth.

yes , if I thought about it that way I would agree with you.
but since the earth is not a solid ball , I'm afraid I cant.

Quote:
They are still coupled together by fluid dynamics

yes , and fluid dynamics includes the viscosity of fluids and the vast amount of heat down there means that the atoms do not interact that well , the degree of viscosity / friction is vastly diminished from what it would be if it were solid rock , still given the pressures down there the viscosity would be enormous.

viscosity is like the friction of a fluid.

Quote:
, and the whole Earth would have to speed up.

you would think that if that were true then there would be
no differences in the speeds of the many layers of the earth.

but I suppose that isnt true.

Quote:
In your example with the fancy funnel the vast majority of the mass of the system would move to the axis of rotation. That would have significant effect on the rotational speed of the system.

the example was just that , an example.

and it clearly shows what would happen to the rotation of the entire system if mass moves towards the center.

Quote:
You probably meant the axis of rotation

I was talking about the earths rotation , I just figured that Bill S already knew that.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, your latest post deserves more comment than I have time for at present, but one thing I must ask is, where did you get the information that the core and mantle rotate in opposite directions? That is not my understanding.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I just figured it did when I thought about what could cause the earth to recover from the many ice ages in its past.

A reasonable thought, but certainly not supported by evidence from the study of seismic waves.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul. a thought occurred to me while dog walking. I wonder if your idea that the core rotates in the opposite direction came from the fact that the differential rotational rate causes the axis of rotation of the inner core to precess eastward. Could that be right?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill, I did some checking after I saw that claim by Paul. He is right. If you do a search for Earth core rotation you can find a number of sources for the information. One of them is Why Earth's Inner and Outer Cores Rotate in Opposite Directions. What I am not sure about is the rates of rotation.

On Discovery I found this. Earth's Rotating Inner Core Shifts Its Speed According to this one the inner core rotates in approximately every 750 to 1,440 years.

The Daily Mail has an article Earth's inner core spins in an eastward direction - the opposite to the outer core . In this one it doesn't say how fast the outer core spins except to say "Meanwhile the outer core, made up of mainly molten iron, spins westwards at a slower pace". So the outer core takes even longer than to inner core to make a revolution.

I don't think that is going to provide anything to help Paul's hypothesis.

Bill gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
this article is from Columbia University
Dr. Song and Dr. Richards

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/archives/vol22/vol22_iss1/Core_Spin.html

Quote:
The inner core rotates in the same direction as the Earth and slightly faster, completing its once-a-day rotation about two-thirds of a second faster than the entire Earth. Over the past 100 years that extra speed has gained the core a quarter-turn on the planet as a whole, the scientists found. Such motion is remarkably fast for geological movements -- some 100,000 times faster than the drift of continents, they noted. The scientists made their finding by measuring changes in the speed of earthquake-generated seismic waves that pass through the inner core.

and its 400 years per revolution.

Quote:
Dr. Song and Dr. Richards calculated that over a year, the inner core rotates about one longitudinal degree more than the Earth's mantle and crust. The inner core makes a complete revolution inside the Earth in about 400 years.

I certainly hope you guys didnt expect it to spin much faster
than that.

with that apx 5,000 C and 140gpa pressure at the outer core
its a wonder the outer core can spin at all , much less in an opposite direction from the mantle and crust above it
and the inner core below it.

its fascinating stuff.

but the earth is a awesomely large dynamo down there.
and thats why there are different speeds and directions of
the different layers of earth.

I can certainly understand how a faster moving crust would
stir up a lot of extra heat down there , sorry if you guys
cant see it that way.

any extra heat down there eventually makes its way up here.

it has no where else to go...

Megastar
Megastar
400 years per revolution?

So in 400 years, the planet rotates, or revolves, (let's say) 146,100 times.
That means, over that same time, the inner core would rotate 146,101 times, right?

I'm unsure of the other rotation comments, such as retrograde motion, but the idea that they are talking about the axis of rotation ...and perhaps precession, sounds more likely.

I wonder what this might mean for mantle plumes....

- wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The inner core rotates in the same direction as the Earth and slightly faster, completing its once-a-day rotation about two-thirds of a second faster than the entire Earth. Over the past 100 years that extra speed has gained the core a quarter-turn on the planet as a whole, the scientists found.

It seems that these stats are a bit out of date, and about a million times too fast.

http://phys.org/news/2011-02-earth-core-rotating-faster-rest.html

The outer core is liquid, so its movement relative to the inner core and mantle is likely to be “chaotic” if they are rotating at different rates. It is difficult to imagine a mechanism that would start and maintain the movement of a liquid in a direction opposite to that of the solids enclosing it.

You can find all kinds of statements and scientific “facts” on line. Try googling something like “Do photons experience time”!

Here’s an example:

http://www.askamathematician.com/2011/07/q-does-light-experience-time/

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I can certainly understand how a faster moving crust would stir up a lot of extra heat down there , sorry if you guys
cant see it that way.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to see. If the crust were moving faster than the upper mantle, I can see that that would generate a lot of heat, but not only is there no evidence that there is differential motion along the Moho; there is good evidence that tectonic plates are composed of crust and upper mantle, and that movement occurs at the LVZ, deeper in the mantle.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

It will mean a lot less if the latest figures are correct.

BTW; are you a plume supporter?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
well , I guess it all boils down to which article is found first, LOL.

I have a definite problem with the article you posted about
Cambridge U.

Quote:
The inner core grows very slowly over time as material from the fluid outer core solidifies onto its surface. During this process, an east-west hemispherical difference in velocity is frozen into the structure of the inner core.

its obvious that solid FE which comprises the inner core
is heavier than the composition of the FE and S above the inner core.

its also obvious that when pure FE is separated out of the FE and S of the outer core and the pure FE bonds with the inner core there are things that happen.

1) there would be a layer just above the inner core consisting mostly of pure sulfur.

2) the viscosity of the pure sulfur when heated increases unlike other substances whos viscosity decreases.
and I haven't yet to read any evidence in your article that
discusses this variation in viscosity concerning the sulfur
that would be deposited from the FE and S in the outer core.
given that the pressures would increase the melting and boiling temperatures and other properties.

3) the momentum of the inner core would decrease and likewise
the momentum of the outer core would increase.
this would point to the inner core slowing down during the process , not speeding up.

Quote:
The faster rotation rates are incompatible with the observed hemispheres in the inner core because it would not allow enough time for the differences to freeze into the structure

Im curious if the differences above and the what they found that consistently shifted east with depth was nothing more than layers of sulfur.

the sulfur could have a viscosity that is so strong that it
could be being confused with the upper 90 km of the inner core , also the density of the sulfur could have a great
potential for confusion.

the only evidence we have is through the use of seismic waves
and a layer of sulfur might just slow down a seismic wave.

we have observed huge boulders floating on fast moving water here on the surface of the earth.

with the increased pressures and viscosities of sulfur down there velocities are not really that important for such a thing to happen.

so the FE and S could be floating on top of the pure sulfur.

the article about the hypothesis and its proposed inner core speed and the reasons it claims that the previous speed is wrong and the evidence given is too questionable for
me to accept.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, you raise some interesting issues in your last post, I'm not ignoring it; just a bit short of time.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:

It will mean a lot less if the latest figures are correct.

BTW; are you a plume supporter?

I only heard some news (plus saw some awesome "picture") of latest data that sounded fairly normal and well accepted. Is there some disagreement or alternative explanations?

I think most significant is that Continents are original, multi billions-year-old crust, and yet the oldest seafloor crust is only a fifth of one billion years old.

I've been trying to learn about the evolution of soils, and sediments and sedimentary processes play a big role. Big understatement, I'm sure, but new paradigms point to both changing life and changing climate has determined evolution of different soils ...as well as the rocks and clays that many buried, weathered, and/or petrified soils turn into. ...or words to that effect.

The weight of those sedimented layers, especially in various areas on the generally bowl-shaped Continents, has me wondering about growth of continental "roots" and if material exchanges with the mantle or those "young" subducted plates.

Aside: do you think a radically different distribution of glacial ice sheets could alter tilt and wobble of the planet?

~ wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
the momentum of the inner core would decrease and likewise
this would point to the inner core slowing down during the process , not speeding up.

Quote:
The magnetic field pushes eastwards on the inner core, causing it to spin faster than the Earth, but it also pushes in the opposite direction in the liquid outer core, which creates a westward motion.

The momentum of the inner core would decrease only if the deposition had a greater influence than the pushing effect, which is unlikely. Given that there is a pushing effect, wouldn’t the increase in mass involve an increase in momentum? P=mv, so if v is maintained, and m increases, p increases.

Would the opposite not apply to the outer core?

In your model, which I am not disputing at this point, the inner core and outer core rotate in opposite directions. Both chemical reactions and frictional drag operate at the inner/outer core boundary and the outer core/mantle boundary. Wouldn’t this tend to slow the rotation of the outer core, and promote turbulence; rather than increase it, as you suggest?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
As with many things, it is possible to find different chemical formulae in different references for the deep Earth. From my recollection of Open University days, and more recent reading, I think that seismic studies indicate that the inner core is composed of 90+ % Fe/Ni, with some lighter minerals.
The outer core is believed also to be mainly Fe/Ni with possible some S. What it comes down to is that one has to evaluate information as best one can, and wait for the next discovery to add further confusion. smile

Discoveries made a few years ago suggest that the lighter elements in the inner core might have migrated to the top.

http://www.livescience.com/10324-earth-core-layer-scientists-claim.html

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The magnetic field pushes eastwards on the inner core, causing it to spin faster than the Earth, but it also pushes in the opposite direction in the liquid outer core, which creates a westward motion.

I sure would like to see the model that would show a magnetic field that could do that.

from what I know about magnetic fields you need motion of the field in order to push anything in a direction.

and the direction of motion of the inner core is eastward.
an eastward motion cannot push westward.

how do they explain that away?

lets try using the shell of the inner core as if the magnetic field were shaped like a big donut.

even still the direction is eastward because the core spins eastward.

you would need 2 separate magnetic fields.
could there be 2 separate magnetic fields?

I suppose you could have 2 separate magnetic fields ,
because you do have 2 cores that are spinning.
it could be like a small magnet inside a larger magnet.

I really want to see that model.

I would like for us to clear the above up first if we can.

Quote:
wouldn’t the increase in mass involve an increase in momentum? P=mv

if there were an additional force added for rotation as the additional mass is added to the rotation then yes, the momentum would increase.

what we have here is a big ball of iorn that already has a amount of momentum which is P=mv.

----------
in order to add velocity to the inner core
you would need to supply enough force to accelerate the entire
mass of the inner core to the desired velocity!!!

----------

momentum = the mass of an object times its velocity.

without adding velocity to the object the momentum
of the object will decrease.

it would be extremely hard to get me to believe that
when some iorn is deposited onto the surface of the inner core
there is somehow a corresponding added force added to rotate the inner core.

perhaps at this point is where QM and relativity could solve the dilema.

the added velocity just pops in from one of the many parallel universes or what ever is popular that day.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I sure would like to see the model that would show a magnetic field that could do that

It wasn't my link that that came from.

Just like to show that I read other folk's links. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Even if they are from the Mail! laugh

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Even if they are from the Mail! wink

or one of these !

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130916162005.htm

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articl...ns-eastward.htm

http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/5699/the-dynamics-of-earths-core

these days is pays to think about what you read , a lot of it
just gets copied from one web site to the next without the application of thought.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
So far I've had time only for a glance at the first of your links.

It seems to talk of S waves propagating through the core. Unless the laws of physics have changed in the last 30 years, S waves don't propagate through liquids.

I seem to recall that S waves reaching the outer core can somehow propagate as modified P waves, then change back into S waves when they reach the inner core, but I don't remember the details, and don't have the time to look it up.

Does anyone else feel that what is being interpreted as westward motion of the outer core might mean only that the inner core and the mantle/crust are rotating eastward faster than the outer core?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Does anyone else feel that what is being interpreted as westward motion of the outer core might mean only that the inner core and the mantle/crust are rotating eastward faster than the outer core?

I do. The inner core is rotating about 2/3 of a second per day faster than the mantle/crust (Core Spins Faster Than Earth). So the fact that the outer core is 'rotating in the opposite direction' Doesn't mean that it is really going the other way around. In fact since it seems to be rotating more slowly in the reverse direction (that's from one of the links I threw in up above) then it isn't exactly like driving the wrong way down a freeway at 100 mph. The reversal of direction is relative to the inner core and the mantle/crust. With respect to the stars it is still rotating the same way.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There’s a lot of misinformation out there. Much of it is generated by the media who are more interested in a story than in fact; but some obviously comes from enthusiastic researchers who understandably want to push their ideas to the fore.

Whatever one may believe about humans having walked on the moon, or about our machines being on other planets; one thing is certain: we have never visited the mantle, much less the core.

We know little about the mantle, and even less about the core. My belief is that the best we can do is to evaluate the information available in the light of physics and common sense, and see where it leads.

I may not have accepted Paul’s argument at the start of this discussion; I may still not accept it at the end, but I think the proposal and discussion of non-mainstream ideas is always likely to be of value.

I bet that’s no surprise to anyone on SAGG. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Let's have a go at clearing this one.

Quote:
….if there were an additional force added for rotation as the additional mass is added to the rotation then yes, the momentum would increase.

If p=mv, and m is increased, v could decrease by the appropriate amount and p could remain unchanged. Even without a mysterious force appearing from somewhere, p would not necessarily decrease as mass was added.

The point I was making included the statement, in Bill’s link, that the magnetic field did some pushing. If that were the case p could actually increase as m increased.

There is an added complication in that it is possible that melting of the upper layer of the inner core is also occurring. I have yet to find any reference as to how that fits in with the deposition of material from the outer core onto the inner.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:

not me , Im under the impression that they meant westward motion
when they said westward motion.

they would have used something like

slower eastward motion vs westward motion if that were the case.

Quote:

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I do. The inner core is rotating about 2/3 of a second per day faster than the mantle/crust (Core Spins Faster Than Earth). So the fact that the outer core is 'rotating in the opposite direction' Doesn't mean that it is really going the other way around. In fact since it seems to be rotating more slowly in the reverse direction (that's from one of the links I threw in up above) then it isn't exactly like driving the wrong way down a freeway at 100 mph. The reversal of direction is relative to the inner core and the mantle/crust. With respect to the stars it is still rotating the same way.

thats not the way I see it.

looking at a rotating earth may throw you off.

try looking at it as if the earths crust and mantle were stationary.

the inner core should still be spinning eastward.
and
the outer core should still be spinning westward.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
My belief is that the best we can do is to evaluate the information available in the light of physics and common sense, and see where it leads.

I agree.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
The momentum of the inner core would decrease only if the deposition had a greater influence than the pushing effect, which is unlikely. Given that there is a pushing effect, wouldn’t the increase in mass involve an increase in momentum? P=mv, so if v is maintained, and m increases, p increases.

so if v is maintained

if there were an additional force added for rotation as the additional mass is added to the rotation then yes, the momentum would increase.

what we have here is a big ball of iorn that already has a amount of momentum which is P=mv.

Quote:
If p=mv, and m is increased, v could decrease by the appropriate amount and p could remain unchanged. Even without a mysterious force appearing from somewhere, p would not necessarily decrease as mass was added.

P would change because mass is added , as it slows down
P would go from a higher number to a lower number.

lets try that to see if it works.

without using magic.

P=mv
P=100kg x 10mps
P=1000 kg/ms or Ns

lets add mass and keep the velocity

P=mv
P=200kg x 10 mps
P=2000 kg/ms or Ns --> P goes to a higher number because mass is added.

now lets lower the velocity also

P=mv
P=200kg x 5 mps
P=1000 kg/ms or Ns --> P goes to a lower number

yes that works , but how will the entire inner core be decelerated.

by adding mass to the inner core !!!

Quote:
3) the momentum of the inner core would decrease and likewise

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The point I was making included the statement, in Bill’s link, that the magnetic field did some pushing. If that were the case p could actually increase as m increased.

the magnetic field cant push the inner core if the magnetic field is generated by the inner core.

because that would be like a magnet sitting on a table spinning around under its own power.

I think we need to include a few electromagnet fields.

possibly generated by the westward spinning outer core
and the eastward spinning inner core , crust and mantle.

dont you?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/MagEarth.html

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
the magnetic field cant push the inner core if the magnetic field is generated by the inner core.

because that would be like a magnet sitting on a table spinning around under its own power.

I think we need to include a few electromagnet fields.

possibly generated by the westward spinning outer core
and the eastward spinning inner core , crust and mantle.

dont you?

That is correct. The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the rotation of the conductive core. Movement of the electrons in that core produces the magnetic field. As I understand it the differential rotation of the inner and outer core would be created by the effects of the field from the inner core acting on the outer core. So the inner core would be pushed one way by the magnetic field while the outer core would be pushed the other way. That is like standing on a rotating platform and pushing against a rotating ring around the outside of the one you are standing on. You would rotate one way and the outer ring would rotate the other way.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
As I understand it the differential rotation of the inner and outer core would be created by the effects of the field from the inner core acting on the outer core.

This would be the case even though the inner core is not magnetic?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
This would be the case even though the inner core is not magnetic?

It just depends on it being conductive. The rotating magnetic field generates a current in the core and that current creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction. That's the same way small electric motors work.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
for clarity

The rotating magnetic field (of the inner core)

which is not an electromagnetic field

generates a current in the outercore

because the non electromagnetic field of the inner core causes electrons to pass
charges within the molten metal of the outer core in the direction of the inner cores non electromagnetic fields motion.

and that current creates the electromagnetic field of the outer core..which repels the magnetic field of the inner core causing the inner core itself to spin... in the opposite direction.

although the outer core and the inner core spin in different
directions , the electromagnetic field of the outer core would
still repel the magnetic field of the inner core.

like poles repel each other.

That's the same way small electric motors work.

I think I have that sort of right , what do you think Bill?

this brings us to why do we have pole shifts , LOL

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

A little clarification may be needed here. In fact all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field. They do not exist in isolation. We frequently speak of a magnetic field or an electric field as if it was an independent item. However, that is just a matter of how we are looking at them. Here is the Wikipedia article It has a fairly good explanation of just how the electromagnetic field works.

And with that small correction I think you have pretty good grasp of the situation.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I think I'll leave you and Paul to sort out the EM stuff, while I see if I can find out a bit more about the geology of the core mantle boundary.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
According to this one the inner core rotates in approximately every 750 to 1,440 years.

Should one assume that this means that the inner core completes one more rotation than the rest of the Earth in that time; rather than what it actually says?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
According to this one the inner core rotates in approximately every 750 to 1,440 years.

Should one assume that this means that the inner core completes one more rotation than the rest of the Earth in that time; rather than what it actually says?

That is certainly my interpretation. I recall one place I looked at that said there was an estimate of 1 degree per year, but they had a report that it was slower. I'm not sure now what the rate is, but it is not that much different from the speed of rotation of the Earth.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I recall one place I looked at that said there was an estimate of 1 degree per year, but they had a report that it was slower.

I think the latest figure is about a million times slower.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
A little clarification may be needed here. In fact all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field. They do not exist in isolation. We frequently speak of a magnetic field or an electric field as if it was an independent item. However, that is just a matter of how we are looking at them. Here is the Wikipedia article It has a fairly good explanation of just how the electromagnetic field works.

Bill, could you copy n paste that part of the wikipedia article
I couldnt find it.

I want to try and understand how they have come to that conclusion.

I cant see how a magnetic field of a magnet could be confused with a electromagnetic field.

I did find this

Quote:

Static E and M fields and static EM fields

When an EM field (see electromagnetic tensor) is not varying in time, it may be seen as a purely electrical field or a purely magnetic field, or a mixture of both. However the general case of a static EM field with both electric and magnetic components present, is the case that appe....

When an EM field is not varying in time is the focus there I believe.
and its talking about what observers would see if it were not varying in time.

Quote:
...appears to most observers. Observers who see only an electric or magnetic field component of a static EM field, have the other (electric or magnetic) component suppressed, due to the special case of the immobile state of the charges that produce the EM field in that case. In such cases the other component becomes manifest in other observer frames.

is that the part that you were referencing?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, I wasn't really referring to any particular part of the article on Wiki. I just wanted to provide an overview of the electromagnetic field.

I cant see how a magnetic field of a magnet could be confused with a electromagnetic field.

Keep in mind that the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is generated by the circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet. It is a manifestation of the electromagnetic field of those charges.

In your quote about static E and M fields notice that they are referring to EM fields that are not varying in time. This is of course a simplification, since there is in reality no such thing as an EM field that doesn't vary in time. It just varies such a small amount during the time we are observing it that we can work with it as if it is static.

Also in your second quote about observers who see a static E or M field notice that they mention that even if the observer sees static E or M field that the other field will be seen by observers in other frameworks. As I understand it that means that if a charge is not moving in one framework you can see a static E or M field, in that framework. If somebody else observes it who is moving with respect to the charge the other field will be observed in their framework.

And of course even if we have a static field and make some kind of measurement of that field then it will cease to be static, since our measurement will perturb it to some extent. This is an old problem in practical applications. I am well aware of it from the time I was an electronics technician. If I measured a voltage I had to be aware of the impedance of my measuring instrument, since it could load the source of the voltage and cause an erroneous reading. I needed to use a voltmeter that had a high enough impedance that it did not cause a significant change. Notice that it would cause a change, but not enough to create a problem in the reading.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Keep in mind that the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is generated by the circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet. It is a manifestation of the electromagnetic field of those charges.

circulation?

don't you mean orientation of charges?

circulation of charges implies constant energy input into a permanent magnet that would generate any proposed electromagnetic field.

from what I have always understood to be fact , the magnetic
field of a permanent magnet is due only to the orientation of atoms within the magnet.

like striking a iron bar while holding it in line with the
earths magnetic field causes the iron bar to be magnetized because the atoms inside the iron bar all align with the earths magnetic field and they remain locked into that orientation and the orientation is what causes the magnetic field.

theres no charges that are circulating in a permanent magnet
unless theres something that causes the charges to circulate as
in a electromagnet that has current passing through it.

and as soon as the current is removed the electromagnetic field is also removed.

this wouldn't be like QM or Relativity stuff would it?

because it sounds a lot like it may be.

each atom has a north and south pole.
like the earth has , when the iron bar is struck the atoms all
align with the earths magnetic lines of force.

the charges that you say that are circulating is nothing more
than the alignment of the atoms inside the iron bar.

striking the iron bar is what allows the atoms inside the iron bar to move around and align with the earths magnetic field.

if there were charges being circulated within a permanent magnet then the proposed charges could be extracted using a
copper wire coil because the electromagnetic field should also protrude from the permanent magnet , to date I don't think this has been accomplished.

it must be QM or Relativity because it certainly isn't reality.

Quote:
circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet.

if what you meant was

circulation of charges within the atoms of the magnet.

then I could certainly agree with you.
because each atom has circulating electrons , LOL

that would mean that you could stack atoms up on top of
one another and form a larger magnetic field , but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

and all iron bars do not naturally have a magnetic field , but all iron bars do have atoms within it that have magnetic fields.

and charges do not pass from atom to atom unless the atoms are excited by some external means , so theres no circulation of charges outside of the atoms in a permanent magnet.

the iron core of our earth generates a simple magnetic field.
it does not itself generate any type of electromagnetic field.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

I said that the charges were at the atomic level. It is the individual charges within the atom that create the magnetic field. When the atoms have their magnetic orientation aligned then the bar becomes a permanent magnet, produced by the circulation of all those charges in the atoms.

And yes it is a QM effect. Just about everything that isn't SR comes down to QM.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Not having a great deal of luck finding references to counter rotation of the outer core, but this one provides a slightly different perspective.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/40/15914

“Seismic probing of the earth’s deep interior has shown that the inner core, the solid core of our planet, rotates slightly faster (i.e., eastward) than the rest of the earth. Quite independently, observations of the geomagnetic field provide evidence of westward-drifting features at the edge of the liquid outer core.”

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
lets revisit the moments.

Quote:

and its not an electromagnetic field , its a simple magnetic field.

Quote:

And with that small correction I think you have pretty good grasp of the situation.

I dont believe that needed correcting however
when you wrote the below I believe it needed correcting.

as all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field.

all magnetic and electric fields are not part of a electromagnetic field.

all magnetic and electric fields
are caused by the orientation of atoms.

Quote:
Bill, could you copy n paste that part of the wikipedia article
I couldnt find it.

I want to try and understand how they have come to that conclusion.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
circulation?

don't you mean orientation of charges?

Quote:
but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

Quote:
I said that the charges were at the atomic level. It is the individual charges within the atom that create the magnetic field. When the atoms have their magnetic orientation aligned then the bar becomes a permanent magnet, produced by the circulation of all those charges in the atoms.

what circulates in the atoms?

in order for there to be circulation a charge would have to leave an atom at the bottom of the stack of atoms and move to the atom above it , until it reaches the atom at the top of the stack of atoms , when the charge leaves the top of the stack of atoms then the charge would have to travel from the top of the stack ( outside of the magnet and to the bottom of the magnet ) and then enter the magnet at the bottom of the stack.

Quote:
And yes it is a QM effect. Just about everything that isn't SR comes down to QM.

that is so very sad.

Quote:
The electric field and the magnetic field are components of the electromagnetic field.

the above tells me that a magnetic field and an electric field are two separate fields but they are both components of an electromagnetic field.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
thanks Bill S

that hit the spot.

Quote:
Because viscosity enters into boundary-layer scalings as Graphic rather than E, and further that Graphic, arguably both viscosity and inertia may be equally important in the earth’s core. However, our goal was to explore the magnetostrophic limit, and as such, we chose to focus attention on the Ekman-state balance at very small viscosity.

‡Although our model provides a consistent description of the dynamics of inner-core rotation over the 10–100-y timescale, different dynamics may be important on millennial timescales (32).

Freely available online through the PNAS open access option.

this type of research has value and deserves more.

while reading the article I noticed several points that I
have been considering and have posted here.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Always glad to help. smile

Seriously, though, this thread does seem to be uncovering areas in which there is either very little reliable information, or that information is difficult to access.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I think I have once again demonstrated that Paul isn't really interested in the reality of science, so I will drop this matter. For everybody else, just remember that Paul doesn't know how science works and won't bother to learn and take any thing he says with a grain of salt until you have checked it out.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Seriously, though, this thread does seem to be uncovering areas in which there is either very little reliable information, or that information is difficult to access.

I agree , that's why I believe that more research in this area
is needed.

and the research will sort out the refuse.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I think I have once again demonstrated that Paul isn't really interested in the reality of science

Im gald for you , you should pat yourself on your back.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I think I have once again demonstrated that Paul isn't really interested in the reality of science

Be that as it may, this discussion has raised some interesting geological thoughts, and there could be more to come.

Looking back at discussions with PreEarth, there are lots of aspects of mantle geology I would have skimmed over had it not been for his arguments. The same applies here, so I'm still in on the geology part.

There never was nothing.
T
T
The current model of the Earth in sciencebooks is totally wrong, don't forget that. The Earth is hollow, has an internal sun, has polar openings, and shell thickness is 480km.
The Earth is expanding as well, primitive radius was 3700-3800km.
Due to the expansion and conservation of mass, the Earth becomes hollower and hollower. If they say there are oceans at depth 450-600km, only proves this only true theory.
Shell Theorem? wrong. The center of mass is not equal the center of gravity. You are not weightless inside a hollow Earth, only in the center.
Mass of the Earth? Needs recalculation, will be much less.
Gravitational constant also wrong.
Other planets are hollow too, even our Moon.
Baffled by this information? I can proof every single word I say.
MD

T
T
interesting stuff

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
TTT

Im not going to say that the hollow earth theory is not valid.

and

Im not going to say that the hollow earth theory is valid.

but I would like to hear your most important piece of evidence
that the earth is hollow.

T
T
Ok, first, I will prove that we have an inner sun and polar openings.
Jupiter
Cassini polar movie:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Jupiter_Polar_Winds.gif
Look at the censored image from NASA:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Map_of_Jupiter.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1895/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1895-9347.jpg
Why are they doing that you think? rarara
You can clearly see the inner sun in the movie.

Moon
Check the Moon in Google Earth. Do to the south pole. You see the light from the inner sun. The 'moon impact probe' is highly probably a coverup. This can never be 1 photo, there are 100 strips of photographs attached to each other, so its an eternal light source.

later more

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Hi Thoth This Through, thanks for the PM.

You say "I am pretty sure the Earth is hollow and has an inner sun."

I think the open forum is the best place to discuss this. May I suggest that a new thread would be a good idea. Perhaps you could start it with an explanation of why you believe these things.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bill, it is obvious that Thoth has been reading the works of that eminent scientist Edgar Rice Burroughs. Burroughs wrote several volumes about the hollow earth, starting with "At the Earth's Core". In these volumes he outlined the lives of people living on the inner surface of the Earth, and the plant and animal life that they shared it with.

Bill Gill

T
T
I'm sorry, never heard of that guy. I'm not interested in reading fantasy nor scientific books. However, I like to read ancient texts from BC.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/video/videodetails/?videoID=255

you might want to watch the above video.

the video has data in it that can help you to understand the
planet.

but you will need to understand how to apply the data.

usually the ability to apply data comes with the acquisition of knowledge from books.

I cant blame you for not wanting to read scientific books
because some if not most of them contain an agenda within their pages that I don't agree with due to my logical thought processes that I have acquired over the years.

and even if you might not agree with the agenda in the science books , they do have useful information in them that you can use to apply data from a set of gathered findings to form a view of any observed or unobserved instance.

in the above video you have data from an observed instance.

using gathered data and having the ability to apply that data will provide you with a wealth of insight into the theories that you encounter.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I cant blame you for not wanting to read scientific books
because some if not most of them contain an agenda within their pages

That's right most of them do have an agenda. Their agenda is to explain how the universe works.

Bill Gill

T
T
Are you trying to be funny? They explain how the universe works?? Are you really serious? They lie about EVERYTHING that lies further than 500 miles away from this planet. You're probably one of that guys who hardly believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life. Maybe you believe in alien bacterial lifeforms, but definitely not smarter than you.
If you believe in God, you believe in an alien who created us. Do not forget that.
Yes, your idol Newton was a genius, but his 'shell theorem' is absolutely rubbish. The center of gravity is NOT located in the center of the sphere. He had a pen and paper, but he could not use computerpower. I made a simple vbscript which proves he was wrong. Gravitational constant G is miscalculated, so is the mass of the Earth.
I only trust one thing and that's my own tiny brain. We know only 0.001% of what's really happening in the universe.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well Thoth, I guess you need to move this discussion over to the Science Fiction forum, since that is what you seem to be talking. Otherwise we don't need any more people who are just here to stir up a lot of garbage. So bye-bye

Bill Gill

T
T
I will let Thoth speak to this poor child of men (Bill Gill):
Deep in Earth's heart lie the Halls of Amenti,
far 'neath the islands of sunken Atlantis,
Halls of the Dead and halls of the living,
bathed in the fire of the infinite ALL.
Far in a past time, lost in the space time,
the Children of Light looked down on the world.
Seeing the children of men in their bondage,
bound by the force that came from beyond.
Knew they that only by freedom from bondage
could man ever rise from the Earth to the Sun.
Down they descended and created bodies,
taking the semblance of men as their own.
The Masters of everything said after their forming:
"We are they who were formed from the space-dust,
partaking of life from the infinite ALL;
living in the world as children of men,
like and yet unlike the children of men."
Then for a dwelling place, far 'neath the earth crust,
blasted great spaces they by their power,
spaces apart from the children of men.
Surrounded them by forces and power,
shielded from harm they the Halls of the Dead.
Side by side then, placed they other spaces,
filled them with Life and with Light from above.
Builded they then the Halls of Amenti,
that they might dwell eternally there,
living with life to eternity's end.
Thirty and two were there of the children,
sons of Lights who had come among men,
seeking to free from the bondage of darkness
those who were bound by the force from beyond.
Deep in the Halls of Life grew a flower, flaming,
expanding, driving backward the night.
Placed in the center, a ray of great potence, Life
giving, Light giving, filling with power all who came near it.
Placed they around it thrones, two and thirty,
places for each of the Children of Light,
placed so that they were bathed in the radiance,
filled with the Life from the eternal Light.
There time after time placed they their first created bodies
so that they might by filled with the Spirit of Life.
One hundred years out of each thousand must the
Life-giving Light flame forth on their bodies.
Quickening, awakening the Spirit of Life.
There in the circle from aeon to aeon,
sit the Great Masters,
living a life not known among men.
There in the Halls of Life they lie sleeping;
free flows their Soul through the bodies of men.
Time after time, while their bodies lie sleeping,
incarnate they in the bodies of men.
Teaching and guiding onward and upward,
out of the darkness into the light.
There in the Hall of Life, filled with their wisdom,
known not to the races of man, living forever 'neath the cold
fire of life, sit the Children of Light.
Times there are when they awaken,
come from the depths to be lights among

So there is life at 3 places: On the outside of the planet, on the inside of the planet, and in the shell of the Earth. This is what this topic is about: how you can get oceans 480km deep? Simple, the Earth is hollow with an inner sun. What's above is what's below and what's above is what's below. Smart guys will know what I'm talking about. Earth is expanding as well. Read your holy bible, the Genesis, and look for similarities with this text. You are an American, you'll probably believe in 'God'. I'm not a sci-fi fan, i will not move to there because this is the truth I'm talking about.

The world of the mainstream scientists is about to collapse. Their Earth model is completely wrong. How do they explain the presence of deep underground oceans? Isn't there magma of thousands of degrees? Water would just vaporise instantly. Your idol Newton said you're weightless inside a hollow sphere? You will have to wait for another famous genious to disprove that, before you will believe it. Because everything what Newton or Einstein said, is holy gold according to scientists. Start thinking with your own brain and never believe someone untill you have researched it for yourself. There are holes at the poles. Find me a uncensored picture of the North or the Southpole. You will only find photos with black or white dots on it. Don't tell me that satellites cannot see the poles.

I'm Dutch, i'm sorry for my English
TTT

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
That's right most of them do have an agenda. Their agenda is to explain how the universe works.

Bill Gill

thats not the agenda I was talking about , but since you brought
it up , you say their agenda is to explain how the
universe works.

as if they already know!

do they?

wouldnt it be more factual to say that when it comes to how the universe works, we the people of earth dont understand how the universe works, and how the universe works is mostly unknown?

so we try to reason with the workings of the universe but we
cant explain how the universe works if we dont know how the universe works.

and if we claim that we can explain how the universe works then
wouldnt that be garbage.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Yes, your idol Newton was a genius, but his 'shell theorem' is absolutely rubbish. The center of gravity is NOT located in the center of the sphere. He had a pen and paper, but he could not use computer power.

Newton was a Genius , and he was a good man , and he didnt have
the tools that we have today.

I think he did extremely well with what was available to him.

Quote:
I made a simple vbscript which proves he was wrong.

could you post the script.

Quote:
Gravitational constant G is miscalculated, so is the mass of the Earth.

we can observe the reason that we use 9.7 m/s^2 as g to determine the acceleration at which an object is accelerated towards the earth due to the gravitational attraction.

G = 6.67×10^-11 N·(m/kg)^2

what do you get as G and how?

T
T
Tnx for the support Paul,

Here's the script for a mass inside a RING.

formula in D5 is =360/D4
You fill in D4 (mass count on ring)
D6 is distance to ring
D8 is the radius of the ring
D9 the mass (standard 1)
You place a button on page and submit function berekenF

Sub berekenF()
Dim gr As Double
Dim hoekB As Double
Dim hoekBgr As Double
Dim aantalmassas As Double
Dim A As Double
Dim AV As Double
Dim Fsom As Double
Dim teller As Double
Dim x As Double
Dim y As Double
Dim z As Double
Dim S As Double
Dim R As Double
Dim str As Double
Dim m As Double
Dim Gafstand As Double
Dim cosinvalshoek As Double
Dim factor As Double

aantalmassas = Range("D4").Value
gr = Range("D5").Value
A = Range("D6").Value
R = Range("D8").Value
m = Range("D9").Value

gr = 0

For teller = 1 To aantalmassas

x = Sin(Application.WorksheetFunction.Radians(gr)) * R
y = Sqr((R * R) - (x * x))

If gr = 0 Then
z = A
factor = 1
Else

If A > (R - y) And gr < 90 Then 'eerste sector
z = A - (R - y)
factor = 1
End If

If A < (R - y) And gr < 90 Then 'tweede sector
z = R - A - y
factor = -1
End If

If gr >= 90 And gr <= 180 Then 'derde sector
z = R - A + y
factor = -1
End If

If gr > 180 And gr <= 270 Then 'vierde sector
z = R - A + y
factor = -1
End If

If A < (R - y) And gr > 270 Then 'vijfde sector
z = R - A - y
factor = -1
End If

If A > (R - y) And gr > 270 And gr <= 360 Then 'zesde sector
z = A - (R - y)
factor = 1
End If

End If

S = Sqr((x * x) + (z * z))
hoekB = ArcSin((Sin(Application.WorksheetFunction.Radians(gr)) * R) / S)
hoekBgr = Application.WorksheetFunction.Degrees(hoekB)
gr = gr + Range("D5").Value
cosinvalshoek = Cos(Application.WorksheetFunction.Radians(hoekBgr))
cosinvalshoek = cosinvalshoek * factor
Fsom = Fsom + (((1 * m) / (S * S)) * cosinvalshoek)

Next

Gafstand = Sqr((aantalmassas * m) / Fsom)
Range("D10").Value = Gafstand
Range("D11").Value = Fsom

End Sub

Function ArcSin(x As Double) As Double

ArcSin = Atn(x / Sqr(-x * x + 1))

End Function

This is not the code for a single shell, I'm still working on it. 95% ready and I don't know if I post it here. Delicate.
But you can imagine, when you twist infinite rings around the axis, drawn in the prolongation of the mass and closest point on ring, that the attraction to the shell will be stronger than to a single ring.

T
T

When Cavendish calculated the G, (sphere 1 was 157,85 kg, radius 2.55cm. Sphere 2 0,73 kg, radius 15cm) he took R as 0,2286m (from centerpoint to centerpoint)
That value is not correct, my estimated value is 0,14m
If you calculate G then, you will get 2,52792E-11

Then between mass and Earth(is hollow) , if you take R = 2000km
the correct mass of the Earth is 1,55226E+24
MassEarth = F*R²/G*m
if you take a person of 100kg, the F is 981N, G is 2,52792E-11

But once my program is 100% finished, I will get the exact values.

T
T
Calculation shell thickness Earth

The Earth started expanding 180 million years ago. If we assume the Earth wasn't hollow then,
we can calculate the primitive radius. Sum all land area of 4-5 billion years old. If you look at the ocean age map you count all gray and white areas.

Total landarea = 148.940.000 km² + 30.000.000 km² &#8776; 180.000.000 km²
Surface sphere = A = 4*pi*R²

R = sqr(A/pi*4)
R = 3784 km
So the radius of the Earth has increased 68% (now 6371km)

Volume V1 = 4/3*pi*3784km³ = 226.956.169.258 km³
Volume V3= 4/3*pi*6378km³ = 1.086.781.292.542 km³
V2 = V3 – V1 = 859.825.123.284 km³ (V2 is virtual volume inside hollow sphere)

V = 4/3*pi*R³

R = (3*V/4*pi)power(1/3) = 5898 km

R = 6378km – 5898km = 480 km

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
TTT

I see your using a spreadsheet , so this will be simple
for me to repeat.

in the U.S. we use a comma to separate thousanths

and a decimal for the zero point placemark.

I cant follow the figures you posted in the following post , could you repost them with the commas and decimals included?

I can see the reason you have for the existence of a hollow
area inside the earth.

its easy to understand how there could be a sun inside the earth as the inner core and outer core of the earth are sort of similar to the sun if we strip everything above the outer core away.

we may never know if there are atomic reactions at the core
because the radiation couldn't penetrate through the crust.

my major problem with the idea is gravity.

I suppose it could work because the core itself would have its
gravity and the earth above would have its gravity.

the two would make up what we know as our earths gravitational field.

the hollow empty area could be air.

and could very well be close to the volume of our moon!

its really very interesting , but it will be hard to convince
people that it could be possible.

T
T
If the Earth and Moon had the same volume (and approx same materials),then the gravity on Moon would be the same on Earth.
Gravity on Moon is 1.6249 m/s², Earth has 9.81m/s². So the volume of the Moon is much less.
BUT we find very heavy materials on the surface on the Moon. Titanium, plutonium, uranium. The deeper you go, the heavier the materials due to pressure. This means shell of the hollow Moon is quite thin compared to Earth. Proof of this during Apollo missions:

In addition, during the Apollo 12 Mission, the lunar module crashed on the moon. The module’s impact crated an artificial moonquake with surprising characteristics, such the fact that the moon rang like a bell for more than an hour! This ‘phenomenon’ as NASA called it was repeated with Apollo 13 where they intentionally made the third stage hit the moon. Instruments recorded the reverberation lasting for almost 3.5 hours, and it traveled to a depth of 25 miles! This is when NASA concluded the moon may have no core.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Moving back towards the original topic; I see the film "Noah" has to carry a disclaimer.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/but-not-simpler/2014/03/28/noah-isnt-accurate-cant/#.Uz3dVm3wotp

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Dim gr As Double
Dim hoekB As Double
Dim hoekBgr As Double
Dim aantalmassas As Double
Dim A As Double
Dim AV As Double
Dim Fsom As Double
Dim teller As Double
Dim x As Double
Dim y As Double
Dim z As Double
Dim S As Double
Dim R As Double
Dim str As Double
Dim m As Double
Dim Gafstand As Double
Dim cosinvalshoek As Double
Dim factor As Double

In Welsh, dim = nothing. "Dim sylw!"

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Bill S.

I think I will go see the movie.

the article addresses many things about why the account
of Noahs Flood could not be possible.

he stresses that ships made of wood would get torn apart by
the seas and that we use steel to build ships with.

and it wasn't 40 days either , so he hasn't done much
homework on the subject.

and several other points.

but scientist today can pop things in and out of nothing.
and they can have billions of parallel universes , so why
couldn't Noah just pop each animal that entered the ark into
a ark in another one of the parallel universes as soon as
it entered the ark or when he needed more space?

but would he need more space?

has there been a study or data gathered that shows how many
animals can fit into an ark?

we dont really have many really big animals.
and why would you put fully grown animals in an ark?
wouldnt smaller younger animals be better for a trip like
that?

and several million bugs could fit into a 10 x 10 x 10 ft area.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
has there been a study or data gathered that shows how many
animals can fit into an ark?

we dont really have many really big animals.
and why would you put fully grown animals in an ark?
wouldnt smaller younger animals be better for a trip like
that?

I'm sure it has been, but I will make a quick stab at it again. The volume of the Ark is about 1,580,000 cubic feet. Taking for size say a sheep about 3 * 4 * 1.5 feet (my top of the head estimate) 18 cubic feet, plus feed for 5 months (150 days), call that 40 cubic feet total. I think that the feed estimate is very low it should probably be a lot higher. Anyway, now we can get 38,000 sheep sized animals in there. Of course that is with them all stacked on top of each other. Then we know that there were 7 of each kind of the clean animals and 2 of each kind of the unclean and 7 of each of the fowls of the air.

Anyway that gives some kind of an estimate. It sounds a bit small for all of the many thousands of animal species that exist.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Personally, I think all these calculations; as well as questions like "how did they manage to collect all these creatures" are a bit pointless.

The sort of answer most children are given would be something like: "God could easily bring them all to the ark".

You can't argue with that, can you?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/...20&type=cta

If scientists can be this uncertain about an estimate relating to a place we have visited (wait for it!),how certain can we be about an estimate based on a tiny fragment from a place we can never visit?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
38,000 species / 7 each = 5,428 different species of clean animals.

can you name even 100 animal species that would not fit your dimensions( would not fit into an area that small)?

all the rest would require less area , less feed , etc...

of course we would not count any animals that were purposefully
bred by humans such as dogs, cats, mice , rats , birds , bugs, etc...etc... that didn't exist in Noahs time.

this interest me , Im curious if there are scientist who have
this information yet have not published it ( peer fear ).

if it were a QM problem it would be known the next day.
or at least a way would have been found / imagined to account for it.

Im not certain but its looking like there was plenty of space
especially if you don't take fully grown 18 cu ft animals into
the ark.

Im not certain but I don't think that God specified that the animals needed to be fully developed.

1) they take up more space.
2) they consume more food.
3) they excrete more waste.

I think we can reduce your 18 cu ft per ark animal to
apx 2ft x 1 ft x 1 ft = 2 cu ft...

there would be some exceptions such as elephants of course.
likewise
a wolf could probably fit into 1 cu ft.

and Im thinking that the elephants might have been tethered
to the ark as they come with built in snorkels and some of the
animals could ride on their backs.

its looking like a worthwhile project for some scientist who
is interested in science becoming less of a claimant of
beliefs in a subject due to peer fear and more of a producer of
true facts , or should I say facts than can be tested.

it was 1 year and 10 days not 5 months by the way
Feb 17 ( Noah was 600 years old) date of the flood.
Feb 27 ( Noah was 601 years old) date of leaving the ark.

which shows that you havent studied the subject either.

but that amount of time would require alot of feed.

so we can keep your 40 cu ft estimate , and we might need to add to it.

can you raise young animals on a mixture of grains and water ( slightly brackish water)?

Im still going to say that it could be done.

it wouldnt be easy , but it seems possible.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul
38,000 species / 7 each = 5,428 different species of clean animals.

Where do you get 38,000 species? There are a great many more species of clean animals than that in the world.

of course we would not count any animals that were purposefully bred by humans such as dogs, cats, mice , rats , birds , bugs, etc...etc... that didn't exist in Noahs time.

What makes you think they didn't exist in Noahs time?

Im not certain but its looking like there was plenty of space especially if you don't take fully grown 18 cu ft animals into the ark.

Im not certain but I don't think that God specified that the animals needed to be fully developed.

The bible doesn't say they weren't fully developed. The obvious assumption is that they were adult.

and Im thinking that the elephants might have been tethered to the ark as they come with built in snorkels and some of the animals could ride on their backs.

Sorry Paul, April Fools Day was on Tuesday.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Where do you get 38,000 species? There are a great many more species of clean animals than that in the world.

woops.

that should have been 38,000 sheep.

that still leaves 5,428 different species that are as large
as your estimate.

can you at least think of 100? or 50 that would be as large as
your size estimate?

Quote:
What makes you think they didn't exist in Noahs time?

I'll go with logic and common sense and currently available breeding information.

Quote:
The bible doesn't say they weren't fully developed. The obvious assumption is that they were adult.

that would depend on which side of the fence your on.

on my side of the fence , where logic is , if I needed to
put 7 of each species of animals on a ark , I would gather
the young animals.

of course on your side of the fence , logic has no place , and
peer pressure is the dominate concern.

this is evident by your size estimate of 18 cu ft per ark animal including another 28 cu ft of feed.

if all animals were sized as you sized the sheep , and
then added up and an average animal size was derived from that number by dividing that number by the number of species do
you even begin to believe that 18 cu ft would even be a close number?

I suppose you wanted the insects to require 18 cu ft also.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I found some interesting figures on this page.
I thought the page might help you out.

http://animals.about.com/od/zoologybasics/a/howmanyspecies.htm

only 3% of the animals in the world are vertebrates.

of course we wouldn't need to include fish , amphibians , some
birds like the ones that can swim , basically any animal that can live in and on the water.

Quote:
Mammals: 4,475-5,000 species

its looking better and better.

considering that all animals wouldn't really need 40 cu ft of
space on the ark.

also some of those remaining animals might not be clean
and this would require even less space for all the animals.

maybe they did have room for a few dinosaurs.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Any thoughts about the salinity of the water, as far as the survival of aquatic creatures is concerned.

What about shallow water sedentary creatures like corrals. Would the water not have become too deep for them to survive?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I wonder how many species of finch inhabited the Galapagos Islands in those days. smile

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I wonder how many species of finch inhabited the Galapagos Islands in those days.

I have no idea , was there a group of islands there at all?

I can easily understand how birds could migrate to the galapagos islands after the flood however.

and I think I read somewhere that the beaks of finches can
change because of diet.

breeding between the species can further alter the skeletons
of these birds.

also a wolf can change due to breeding , change into any
dog you look at.

not because of evolution , but because of human intervention
or the domestication and breeding of wolves for certain purposes.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Any thoughts about the salinity of the water, as far as the survival of aquatic creatures is concerned.

What about shallow water sedentary creatures like corrals. Would the water not have become too deep for them to survive?

I would imagine that a lot of the life in the seas would have
died off , and there would have been plenty of food for the life
that survived.

just remember that there are tremendous surface salt deposits that would have become involved as the waters rose.

as well as huge underground salt deposits in mines that would also become involved.

plus the 80% salt water content of the humans and animals
that died in the flood.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, you are leaving out the major argument against all of the questions of how the Noah Project worked. Miracles. Those can take care of any objection. If God needed all of the animals to get to the ark and needed them all on the arc all He had to do was to make it be. That would be easy for Him. After all the Noah story is the story of a miracle any way.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, you are leaving out the major argument against all of the questions of how the Noah Project worked. Miracles.

you mean you dont need some type of proof?

LOL , I didnt just fall off of the turnip truck.

Quote:
After all the Noah story is the story of a miracle any way.

if it was a miracle , then why didnt God just do as you said?

Quote:
If God needed all of the animals to get to the ark and needed them all on the arc all He had to do was to make it be.

God could have just done it , he didnt need an ark , but we
wouldnt have such a nice story to tell if he did.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Ah yes the loving caring GOD that creates genocide on everything on the planet except the chosen ones. But thou shalt not kill and Hitler was evil ... right?

I love the smell of napalm in the morning smile

Last edited by Orac; 04/05/14 03:09 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
God doesnt create genocide , but people like yourself just
happen to get born , they are the creators of genocide.

and its people like yourself who find fault in God.

I think its mostly jealousy.

Quote:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning

God also didnt create napalm.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
So is the story true did GOD kill everything or not?

Do we need little asterix exclusion on each of the commandments

Thou shall not kill (*except if you are GOD)

The problem with the story to me is not the animals it paints GOD as a cruel vengeful version of Hitler and so I don't think it is supposed to be literal it feels more like it is supposed to be an allegory.

Last edited by Orac; 04/05/14 03:30 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
So is the story true did GOD kill everything or not?

the story doesnt say he killed everything , it clearly states
that Noah and his family were spared and the animals were not all killed off.

but if you would have been there what do you think
your chances would have been?

Quote:
Thou shall not kill (*except if you are GOD)

dont forget the evil politicians , the evil scientist , the evil rich etc...

Quote:
The problem with the story to me is not the animals it paints GOD as a cruel vengeful version of Hitler.

so killing the people didnt bother you?

you have a mind to think with , if the story bothers you
then maybe thats something.

to me the story shows that God can get upset himself if we
get out of hand.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
the story doesnt say he killed everything , it clearly states
that Noah and his family were spared and the animals were not all killed off.

Ok that makes sense so if I do a mass murder but leave one person alive it's okay. Have to pass that on as a defense to some of people charged with mass murder, it's okay your honor I left some people alive it isn't that bad.

dont forget the evil politicians , the evil scientist , the evil rich etc...

Yeah but they didn't make rule ... ah so it's do as I say not as I do for GOD is it?

so killing the people didnt bother you?

Yeah it bothers me which is why I don't think any GOD would actually do it and if a GOD did behave like that it isn't a GOD it is the DEVIL or pure evil.

to me the story shows that God can get upset himself if we get out of hand.

So GOD has off days and temper tantrums ... really that sits okay with your idea of GOD?

I find your ideas weird if there is a GOD and he is all know etc I would expect him to be kind, caring and always even handed goes with the all knowing thing.

Anyhow this has gone on long enough don't want to start a flame war just pointing out my objection to Noah which you have got now ... I think it is supposed to be an allegory full of symbolism ... May your GOD be with you Paul ... did I do that right?

Last edited by Orac; 04/05/14 04:10 AM.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Yeah but they didn't make rule ..

thats true.

God Created Man.

God made the rules for Man to live by.

Man broke the rules.

thats pretty clear and straight forward.

if you dont like the story or believe the story thats
your choice.

if you think the punishment was to harsh , then you should
find a way to point that out to God.

have you ever drawn a picture or built something that wasnt
exactly the way you wanted it to be , then you tore it apart
so you could start again.

its not like were on an even keel with God , we are His
Creation not our own Creation.

T
T
Will you stop please arguing about religion or God?
If you say 'God created Man', you mean God genetically manipulated something into us.
If you say 'God created Man', you mean someone from space created man. Or is God a spirit according to you?
I am an atheļst for a very specific reason:

RELIGION DEPENDS ON TIME, PLACE, EDUCATION AND EVEN RACE.

If you were born in Pakistan, you would say: Allah is great!
If your parents were Jews, you would probably wear a Hat Rabbi and would have hair curls. In medievel Europe, christianity had all power and I have never seen a black man wearing Buddhist clothes yet...

So back to reality plz
TTT

Ps: speaking of Noah, what 'human' lifeform can live for 600 years??

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
this thread was started because of Noahs Flood.

and just because you have chosen to be an atheist does not
mean that all religion is wrong , and it does not mean that atheism is right either.

atheism must be a choice that you made because you perceive
that atheism is the logical choice and that is why you
chose to become an atheist.

is it your opinion or belief that I do not have a opinion or a choice of my own to make and that I should drop all that
seems logical to me and become an atheist even though atheism does not seem logical to me?

I do agree that arguing about the existence of God should
not be a part of this discussion , and the reasons that God
had to destroy man with the Flood should not be a part of
this discussion , and that killing almost all of man should
not be a part of this discussion.

this discussion is supposed to be about the possibilities
of the story of Noahs Flood actually happening and reasons
how the water levels that covered all of the mountain tops could have been a reality and nothing else.

but when things are looking dim for the doubters of any
possibilities of the Bible Stories being found to be possible the doubters of the Bible Stories usually start flaming God
as if that will lean the discussion in their favor.

T
T
Noahs Flood is probably a historical fact, it is written in many ancient texts.

Deep in Earth's heart, the sons of Amenti heard,
and hearing, directing the changing of the flower of fire
that burns eternally, changing and shifting, using the logos,
until that great fire changed its direction.
Over the world then broke the great waters,
drowning and sinking,

changing Earth's balance
Gathered I then my people and
entered the great ship of the Master.
Upward we rose into the morning.
Dark beneath us lay the Temple.
Suddenly over it rose the waters.
Vanished from Earth,
until the time appointed,
was the great Temple.
Fast we fled toward the sun of the morning,
until beneath us lay the land of the children of KHEM.
Raging, they came with cudgels and spears,
lifted in anger seeking to slay and utterly destroy the Sons of Atlantis.

So the flood did occur because they shifted the rotation of the inner sun using a power, called the logos (?). Also on the inside of the Earth there was a flood, so the people there had to escape with a spacecraft. They call our sun 'the sun of the morning'. So they flew to the outside (probably through the opening of the pole) till they saw Atlantis being destroyed.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
That is not quite true the story of gilgamesh is a series of legends in poem form to the Tajik people and many other Persian races it is much like greece god mythology it is not ever considered factual as that is not it's purpose.

If you want to hear it sung like I encountered it as a child youtube Abed Azrie - Epopée de Gilgamesh.

Last edited by Orac; 04/06/14 09:52 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
If I remember rightly the story of Gilgamesh tells also of the hole through the Earth through which the sun passed each night so that it could rise again in the morning. Didn't Gilgamesh run through that hole, staying ahead of the sun? Great story, lots of deep meaning, but hardly the best source of actual physical information.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Nearly every culture in every region of the world has a myth about a great flood that was sent to earth from a higher being in order to punish humans for their transgressions and cleanse the world of impurity.

http://voices.yahoo.com/great-flood-myths-different-cultures-similar-621101.html

how would you explain how nearly every culture in every
region of the world has a flood story?

did they email the stories between countries?

or was it because there were large bridges that connected all countries together?

how could it be that everywhere on the earth there is a story
of a great flood if the cultures could not communicate between
themselves.

its logical to me to assume that there was a great flood.

and its illogical to me to assume that there was not a great flood.

Im glad that different versions of the story have been posted
because diverse versions point to the logical conclusion that
there was a great flood.

stories can change over time when they are orally passed down from
generation to generation when there is no written text of
the account.

and as far as I know of there is no written first hand account
that was written down by any of the participants of any of the diverse accounts of the event.

my logic tells me that the stories from the cultures throughout the world that these stories come out of were passed down by the descendants of the people who were on the ark. ( or another transport mechanism in another story )

otherwise there would only be a single regional version of the story , it would not be a worldwide story.

I think that through a comparison of the many accounts of the
story and using the information in the stories the original
location of the event can be found.

but this discussion is to examine the possibilities of the
event taking place.

pinpointing the original story and location would follow that
determination.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Bill S is spot on Gilgamesh is like a folktale and it has a very deep meaning and if you take it literal you miss the whole point.

I was actually shocked the first time I found western people comparing the story of Noah in the bible to Gilgamesh because to me they are nothing alike except to some western perverse justification ... it is actually rude and insulting.

Like much of the history of Egypt has had to be fixed in the last decades because of mistakes by very overtly British 1920's handling. So with Gilgamesh the west did not even bother to get a proper Arab translation of the text until the 1960's by Taha Baqir who correctly describes the story as told to me and has been handed down by my people.

I think certain people who want these ancient texts as some sort of proof for there own beliefs have just butchered and made their own translations to justify there own stupid arguments.

To make the point it would be like someone taking your national anthem claiming they have their own translation of it and that it somehow proves something you find completely wrong.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Gilgamesh is like a folktale

wasn't the city of troy also like a folktale?
until it was found.

Quote:
comparing the story of Noah in the bible to Gilgamesh because to me they are nothing alike except to some western perverse justification ... it is actually rude and insulting.

western?

surely your not suggesting that it is only people in the
western regions that find the similarities interesting?

Quote:
how could it be that everywhere on the earth there is a story
of a great flood if the cultures could not communicate between
themselves.

how do you explain that?

Quote:
To make the point it would be like someone taking your national anthem claiming they have their own translation of it and that it somehow proves something you find completely wrong.

do you have some type of evidence that the origin of the worlds
flood stories originated from the story of Gilgamesh?

if you don't then would you consider that the story of
gilgamesh would be rude and insulting to others who believe that their cultures story of the flood is the origin of the
many flood stories of the world.

wouldn't a scientific approach to finding the origin of the
worlds flood stories be better than having the diverse
cultures that claim that their stories of the flood are the origin of all other flood stories?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
wouldn't a scientific approach to finding the origin of the
worlds flood stories be better than having the diverse
cultures that claim that their stories of the flood are the origin of all other flood stories?

100% with you there, Paul, but it would need to be genuinely scientific, rather than various groups looking for evidence to back up their already held beliefs.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Gee, I wonder if rising sea levels and glacial lake drainage could explain flood stories at the global scale. The timing would make sense.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: samwik
Gee, I wonder if rising sea levels and glacial lake drainage could explain flood stories at the global scale. The timing would make sense.

I don't think so. The Noah story took place less than 7,000 years ago and the last glaciation ended around 10,000 years ago. That would be a large error in dating.

Bill Gill

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill
Originally Posted By: samwik

I don't think so. The Noah story took place less than 7,000 years ago and the last glaciation ended around 10,000 years ago. That would be a large error in dating.

Bill Gill
I didn't know the Noah story, or any flood stories, were dated at all; but I figured they originated as oral histories before ever being written down.
When did the Mediterranean fill enough to flood the Black Sea?

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
aluminum !! ( pre 19th century )

interesting video about Noahs Ark.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I was actually shocked the first time I found western people comparing the story of Noah in the bible to Gilgamesh

the stories of the Bible were passed down from generation to
generation orally.

so another thing that needs to be considered is that the
first culture that invented and implemented a written language
would appear to be the origin of any story that was written down by that culture.

in other words the story of Gilgamesh could have been derived
from the stories of other cultures.

like the ancient Chinese invented many inventions before the
western world did , and these inventions were seen by travelers from the west and the west reinvented them and
claimed them as their own inventions , but now we know better.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
in other words the story of Gilgamesh could have been derived from the stories of other cultures.

Then, by the same token, flood stories could have been derived from stories in other cultures.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
as I said earlier almost all cultures have a flood story.

finding which story from which culture was the origin of all of the flood stories would be a worthwhile and difficult challenge.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
We have covered a lot of interesting ground (unintentional pun), but have not considered what the desiccation of the upper mantle would have done to the Earth. Nor have we considered how all the water would have made its way back into the mantle minerals.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
what the desiccation of the upper mantle would have done to the Earth.

the extra heat from the added friction would have moved upwards releasing hydrogen and oxygen from the minerals
this would have been a extremely large volume of hydrogen
and oxygen and you would think that through this release the overall mass would tend to shrink resulting in the events
you propose , however with the added heat the magma itself would expand into any void created by the hydrogen and oxygen release.

it would have slowly happened over a period of time gradually
releasing the hydrogen and oxygen from the minerals that the hydrogen and oxygen were locked up in.

it would not have been a sudden event that occurred in a matter of minutes or hours.

Quote:
Nor have we considered how all the water would have made its way back into the mantle minerals.

bonded pairs of ions?

Quote:
Apatite naturally soaks up water as water-bearing magma cools, locking it up in the form of hydroxyl ions—pairs of bonded hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/100614-moon-water-hundred-lunar-proceedings-science/

the article says that many believe that the moon was formed
from an impactor , I hold that the moon was once part of the
earth , and that is why the moon always faces the earth with the same face.

because the moons heaviest parts moved toward the earth as the
moon cooled , also forming a hollow in the moon on the dark side.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I hold that the moon was once part of the
earth , and that is why the moon always faces the earth with the same face.

because the moons heaviest parts moved toward the earth as the
moon cooled , also forming a hollow in the moon on the dark side.

How come the hollow hasn't shown up on photographs of the dark side?

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
because its inside the moon below the moons surface.

the surface would have formed (cooled) quickly, then as the
inside cooled ( and shrank ) and as the insides were being attracted to the earth as it was cooling a hollow formed.

at least thats what would happen according to physics laws
if the material that formed the moon were ejected from the earth.

the moon forming this way explains the following.

1) the same face always facing the earth.

2) the moon is made up of the same minerals as the earth.

3) the moon ringing like a bell when impacted.

4) the weird gravity of the moon.

there can be no other explanation.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
because its inside the moon below the moons surface.

the surface would have formed (cooled) quickly, then as the
inside cooled ( and shrank ) and as the insides were being attracted to the earth as it was cooling a hollow formed.

at least thats what would happen according to physics laws
if the material that formed the moon were ejected from the earth.

the moon forming this way explains the following.

1) the same face always facing the earth.

2) the moon is made up of the same minerals as the earth.

3) the moon ringing like a bell when impacted.

4) the weird gravity of the moon.

there can be no other explanation.

Other than the one that scientific laws actually define.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
PreEarth lives smile

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Other than the one that scientific laws actually define.

and which "one" would that be , Bill Gill?

if you can present any other way that the moon was formed
that can stand the test of the 4 reasons above without using
quantum mechanics just popping it into existence then please do.

I will gladly accept your "one" only if your "one" can explain the 4 reasons above.

orac, your contribution to science is also noted in history.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

and which "one" would that be , Bill Gill?

if you can present any other way that the moon was formed
that can stand the test of the 4 reasons above without using
quantum mechanics just popping it into existence then please do.

I will gladly accept your "one" only if your "one" can explain the 4 reasons above.

orac, your contribution to science is also noted in history.

For some light reading to show how it works try Newton's "Principia".

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
the extra heat from the added friction would have moved upwards releasing hydrogen and oxygen from the minerals

Friction > heat > release of H & O. Sounds OK, but where did you find the “added friction”?

Quote:
however with the added heat the magma itself would expand into any void created by the hydrogen and oxygen release.

“Added heat” from what?

Are you saying that the exsolution of hydroxyls from ring silicates is an exothermic reaction?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, I need a reminder here. Would I be wrong in thinking that you didn't believe in the moon landings?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
but where did you find the “added friction”?

that would be in the 7th post in this thread in a reply to you.
#51299 - March 14, 2014 11:57 PM

Quote:
try this

from around 130,000 years ago until
around 13,000 years ago a very large amount of the earths
water became locked up in ice.

the ice formed around the north and south poles.
and extended towards the equator for thousands of miles
and was several miles thick.

and the friction between the mantle and the earths core caused an enormous amount of heat that was transfered into the mantle
this caused the transition zone to heat up , and along with the heating up , the magma that melted the transition zone and filled the transition zone expanded the way that magma / all matter does due to temperature increases.

Bill S, if your going to participate in this discussion please
at least try to remember the basics of the discussion.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, I need a reminder here. Would I be wrong in thinking that you didn't believe in the moon landings?

Im not sure how that would fit into this discussion but
to remind you , I do believe that the moon landings were made.

but I have no moon landing proof myself other than what
I have read about and watched on the news.

so its a belief as you say.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Bill S, if your going to participate in this discussion please
at least try to remember the basics of the discussion.

Paul, I had not forgotten that post, I had charitably inferred that its absurdity might have dawned on you, and that you might have found another source of friction.

Quote:

No evidence that this happened.

Are you seriously suggesting that the movement of water/ice towards the poles could cause a worldwide fracture of every lithospheric plate such that a rift occurred between crust and upper mantle?

Where is your evidence for that?

Quote:
and the friction between the mantle and the earths core caused an enormous amount of heat that was transfered into the mantle

Even if your tectonic “miracle” had happened, how/why would that increase friction between mantle and core?

Quote:
this caused the transition zone to heat up

Friction between a solid and a liquid at the base of the mantle, for which you have no evidence, caused sufficient heating at the top of the mantle to drive off the hydroxides?

Evidence?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, I had not forgotten that post, I had charitably inferred that its absurdity might have dawned on you, and that you might have found another source of friction.

charity would have been something like , paul have you found
some other means at which the flood waters were produced other
than your proposed friction caused by the extra rotational speed of the earths crust due to the ice gathering at the poles
during the ice age.

did you know that a really slow turning wheel on an axle will
produce large amounts of frictional heat if the bearings become
damaged?

and nope , I havent found anything that could produce a large
enough amount of heat to cause the worldwide flood that has
been recorded in stories from all over the world.

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that the movement of water/ice towards the poles could cause a worldwide fracture of every lithospheric plate such that a rift occurred between crust and upper mantle?

nope.

Quote:
Even if your tectonic “miracle” had happened, how/why would that increase friction between mantle and core?

I have already explained that also , I suppose your being
charitable again.

Quote:
Friction between a solid and a liquid at the base of the mantle, for which you have no evidence, caused sufficient heating at the top of the mantle to drive off the hydroxides?

Evidence?

the worldwide flood that has

do you have any evidence that all of the stories are not true?

and then theres this.

notice the temp peaks in the graph cannot be linked to a orbit
that the earth would be affected by.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
charity would have been something like , paul have you found
some other means at which the flood waters were produced other
than your proposed friction caused by the extra rotational speed of the earths crust due to the ice gathering at the poles during the ice age.

Charity: from the Latin caritas = virtue. There is no virtue in being obsequious.

Quote:
did you know that a really slow turning wheel on an axle will
produce large amounts of frictional heat if the bearings become
damaged?

Yes; but it is hardly relevant to this discussion.

Quote:
I have already explained that also , I suppose your being
charitable again.

Would it be uncharitable to point out that you have not explained it in a way that makes geological sense?

Quote:
the worldwide flood that has

do you have any evidence that all of the stories are not true?

A lot depends on what you mean by the “truth” of the stories. There is, as far as I am aware, no evidence of a worldwide flood in the geological record. There is, however, plenty of evidence of large localised floods. There are floods ranging from the filling of the Med, through the release of glacial lakes, the rupturing of natural dams, tsunamis and lahars. Any of these that struck primitive communities might have been seen as worldwide if they flooded what for those people was the known world. Just because there are lots of stories of floods, that does not mean they were all about the same flood.

Quote:
notice the temp peaks in the graph cannot be linked to a orbit that the earth would be affected by.

Nor can they be linked to a worldwide flood.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
A lot depends on what you mean by the “truth” of the stories. There is, as far as I am aware, no evidence of a worldwide flood in the geological record. There is, however, plenty of evidence of large localised floods. There are floods ranging from the filling of the Med, through the release of glacial lakes, the rupturing of natural dams, tsunamis and lahars. Any of these that struck primitive communities might have been seen as worldwide if they flooded what for those people was the known world. Just because there are lots of stories of floods, that does not mean they were all about the same flood.

Can I also add that some of what are also regarded by certain people as flood references are also not regarded as such by descendants of people of those references ... so we have the question do some people see flood stories because they want and need to have flood stories.

Many scholars now believe what my people believe.

Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth
Many scholars believe that the flood myth was added to Tablet XI in the "standard version" of the Gilgamesh Epic by an editor who utilized the flood story from the Epic of Atrahasis.

If you want it blunt someone butchered Persian history and tablets to add an 18th century myth to feed there need to have a great flood story.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Yes; but it is hardly relevant to this discussion.

sure it is , the friction inside the earth is like steel rubbing against steel , because of the high pressures.

and the heat from that friction would transfer to a tire
mounted on a wheel.

this actually occurs when someone leaves their parking brakes
on , the tire can even catch on fire from the heat while the car is driving down the road.

Quote:
Would it be uncharitable to point out that you have not explained it in a way that makes geological sense?

that would depend on what you consider sense to be.
even in what you consider to be geologically sensable
there is a worldwide flood before the first land masses lifted out of the waters.

as the earth cooled and shrank in size the waters which covered the earth soaked into the earth giving birth to the first land masses.

many scientist also believe that the earth was covered
by water in the earths early geology.

Quote:
As the mantle cooled, land would have gradually appeared as the oceans became deeper and regions of high relief on the continental crust formed.”

http://metro.co.uk/2008/12/31/early-earth-was-covered-in-water-274995/

of course the earth was too hot to contain any water before
the earth began to cool , the water was all in the atmosphere
of the earth at that time in the form of water vapor.

as it is briefly described in Genesis of course.

Quote:
Any of these that struck primitive communities might have been seen as worldwide if they flooded what for those people was the known world. Just because there are lots of stories of floods, that does not mean they were all about the same flood.

you are assuming that the many stories originate from people
who are spread out over the world at the time of the flood
that the many stories are referring to.

I believe the stories were passed down by people who were
descendants of people who witnessed the worldwide flood as those people spread out over the world.

Quote:

are you sure?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
As the mantle cooled, land would have gradually appeared as the oceans became deeper and regions of high relief on the continental crust formed.

Even if this theory happened to be correct; please tell me you are not suggesting that this was Noah’s flood.

Quote:
However, unlike in the movie, the oceans 2.5 billion years ago would have been devoid of fish, which had not yet evolved. Back then life consisted of nothing more complex than algae and bacteria.

This kills any objections relating to space on the ark! How much room could “algae and bacteria” need.

Quote:
you are assuming that the many stories originate from people who are spread out over the world at the time of the flood that the many stories are referring to.

You are, of course, free to assume anything you wish, whether I said it or not; such is freedom of thought…….

Quote:
I believe the stories were passed down by people who were descendants of people who witnessed the worldwide flood as those people spread out over the world.

…..and we all have a right to our personal beliefs.

Quote:
are you sure?

Certainty is a luxury not enjoyed in science; it is a feature of the realms of dogma. However, it was your post so it behoves you to make the necessary link.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Even if this theory happened to be correct; please tell me you are not suggesting that this was Noah’s flood.

did I say I was?
the reason I posted the information was to show that there
was enough water to cover the earth in the past!
and unless the water disappeared there would have been enough
to cover the earth during Noahs worldwide flood.

Quote:
Even if this theory happened to be correct

are you saying that it was correct in the past?

Quote:
you are assuming that the many stories originate from people who are spread out over the world at the time of the flood that the many stories are referring to.

so you were assuming that then.

Quote:
…..and we all have a right to our personal beliefs.

I havent read that everyone on the earth has a right to their own personal beliefs.
but all normal healthy humans do have the ability to have personal beliefs.

Quote:
Certainty is a luxury not enjoyed in science

then when you said

Quote:

you actually meant to use something more like

maybe they cant be linked to a worldwide flood.
or
perhaps they cant be linked to a worldwide flood.

because using the word nor in that context equates to certainty and Certainty is a luxury not enjoyed in science.

I suppose your next comment was in reference to religious dogma

Quote:
it is a feature of the realms of dogma.

were you trying to show me that there is a realm of scientific dogma?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
did I say I was?

If you had, why would I have asked. Stay focused, Paul.

Quote:
the reason I posted the information was to show that there
was enough water to cover the earth in the past!

The flooded Earth hypothesis is just that – a hypothesis. It would be interesting if you could find a leading geologist who has taken this seriously since 2008. It ignores any evidence for dry land prior to the time in question.

Quote:
are you saying that it was correct in the past?

That you can even ask that question demonstrates either a poor understanding of English, or a wish to prevaricate. As this is a science discussion forum, not an English class, I will let that pass.

Quote:
so you were assuming that then.

A little clarity would be appreciated, if it is worth pursuing.

Quote:
I havent read that everyone on the earth has a right to their own personal beliefs.

Neither have I, but I do not necessarily base my opinions on matters of this nature on the writings of others.

Quote:
you actually meant to use something more like

maybe they cant be linked to a worldwide flood.
or
perhaps they cant be linked to a worldwide flood.

Please do me the courtesy of allowing me to be the judge of what I meant.

Implicit in such statements as mine is the understanding that it is based on our current scientific knowledge. I credit you with the intelligence and understanding to appreciate that.

Quote:
were you trying to show me that there is a realm of scientific dogma?

Paul, that’s way below your usual standard, even at your most argumentative.

I have responded to the points in your last post because I believe that is a matter of courtesy, but I think I shall opt out from here on, unless we can raise our sights a bit, and return to something resembling science. If I were looking for an exchange of smart-arsed comments, I'm sure there are forums dedicated to that.

Last edited by Bill S.; 04/24/14 04:57 PM.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
If I were looking for an exchange of smart-arsed comments, I'm sure there are forums dedicated to that.

theres an old saying , if you cant take the heat stay out of
the kitchen.

and then theres , do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

in other words you should try to keep your smart-arsed comments to yourself and you being the first to use
smart-arsed comments shouldnt request others to refrain
from using the same tactics that you choose to use in a discussion.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
in other words you should try to keep your smart-arsed comments to yourself and you being the first to use

Did I ask anyone to refrain? I think not. If you have to make up things to criticise, it's time we both pulled out. smile

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Did I ask anyone to refrain? I think not.

Did I say you did?

Quote:
If you have to make up things

Quote:
it's time we both pulled out.

if you want to "pull out" of the discussion then thats your
choice to make and its fine with me if thats what you choose, I would much rather we treat this in a more scientific manner than to trade insults back and fourth.

there would be nothing disgraceful about pulling out or
deciding not to escalate the situation think about what has already been accomplished in your favor and decide
if you really want to risk that.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
you being the first to use

No comment.

Quote:
think about what has already been accomplished in your favor and decide if you really want to risk that.

I will refrain from commenting on any implication that one might be better than the other as the situation moves towards a slanging match.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
....do you have any evidence that all of the stories are not true?

and then theres this.

notice the temp peaks in the graph cannot be linked to a orbit
that the earth would be affected by.

Paul, I think you will find there is a widely accepted explanation for an orbital effect on temperature.

Most people don't know that the effect does not change the amount of overall energy that the planet gets from the sun;
but rather, it only changes the distribution of that overall energy, which remains very constant over the centuries, on average.

If you search "insolation at 65n" ...or anything about the Milankovitch cycles and 65 N (degrees) latitude, then you'll find this type of info:

&

This scale is the very informative, since it reveals the relative stability of the past 10,000 years; that is, the almost-level slope for the red/pink line, near the upper right-hand corner of the chart. It is declining, but the average is very stable when compared with similar time spans from almost any other period in the graph (or on longer graphs). This graph does show the more "high-resolution" (jittery) data of the past 10,000 years (more proxies and records), and then the graph becomes smoother, as more millennia are added, because we have so many fewer proxies the farther back we measure; but the average slope should still be seen as smoothed (non-jittery) average.

So you should agree that the slope of the past 10,000 years has been fairly constant (on a 500 year running average), compared with most of the climate history; though it is bucking the Milankovitch forcing, nowadays.

Perhaps there is some other forcing --one that is actually changing the overall energy balance with the sun, globally, 24/7/365, and unceasingly for decades and centuries to come-- rather than just changing the distribution of (previously) constant energy at certain latitudes.
===

p.s.

Here is a better view from NCDC/NOAA, for which the same points about a 'relatively level and constant slope' of the past 10,000 years can be noted, which shows how counter-balancing effects produced the relatively 'level' slope of "stable" climate.
~

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Samwik, thanks for bringing us back to science.

The last graph is particularly interesting in that is shows a closer link between atmospheric CO2 and temperature than between insolation and temperature. That's a timely piece of information, as tomorrow I hope to join a geological field trip to look at some deposits, ranging from about 54my to about 1my, that should show evidence of local temperature changes.

Unfortunately, there is a large unconformity, so nothing approaching a continuous record.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Apparently there is a bit of a paradigm shift on, in some aspects of geology. Climate regimes, such as cool/wet or cool/dry, and hot/wet or hot/dry, seem to affect the types of clays that form ...even more significantly than the parent material from which the clays are formed!

Fortunately, this means we can now tell more about the past climate (but less about the past geology, I suppose). Certainly though, you'll be looking at the most interesting time; the past 50myr brings major mammalian influences into the biogeochemical brew ...along with the grasses they ate (and spread equatorward as the planet cooled, the Atlantic opened, and the Seasons finally developed as the ice caps grew into stability).

I only recently learned that what we call "regular" good soil, is also referred to as "interglacial soil," so it has not been forming and building deposits for most of the planet's history. Happy Hunting!

~ smile

A
A
I am glad to have found this thread...

A chap I know called Peter Woodhead was doing some research about the mechanism which has caused the earth to expand and contacted me. Over the last year, we have put together 2 videos and 2 articles.

Part 1

http://tinyurl.com/expearthpw
http://www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/in...4&Itemid=59

Part 2

http://tinyurl.com/expearthpw2
http://www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/in...9&Itemid=59

Sorry if this is a drive-by posting etc, but I don't like posting on forums that much now - as I rarely know who I am talking to (the culture of "not using your real name" was created quite a few years ago and is ideal for allowing serious and important discussion to be controlled and derailed). There is more about that on my website if anyone wants to explore other topics on there...

Thanks for reading!

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I have seen stupid science but that possibly takes the record I have ever seen and should be listed in the fail at science files.

The pressure at the centre of the earth is 330 gigapascals based solely on simple gravity calculations. You did all sort of stupid and ridiculous calculations try calculating the pressure its not hard it so trivial we teach it to high school students.

Pressure = (Mass^2 * G) / (Volume * Radius)

The derivation of this is from Pascal's principle and is called Pascal's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law) and you will note it valid for gases, liquids and we have transferred it to a solid (which shouldn't upset you because you say the centre is a gas).

Earth Mass is: 5.98E10^24 [kg]
Earth Radius is: 6.37E10^6 [m]
Newton's Constant G is: 6.67E10^-11 [m^3/kg*s^2]
Volume = (4 * pi * R^3) / 3 = 1.08E10^21 [m^3]

Crunch the numbers genius and you should get 347 giga Pascals of pressure at the center of the earth and it matters not what phase it is.

Here is the phase diagram for water

Notice what happens to water at a mere 22100 KPascals which is a mere 0.0221 giga Pascals ... IT CAN NOT EVER BE GAS THAT IS THE CRITICAL POINT FOR WATER.

Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_(thermodynamics)

So lets see if you are smart enough to work out the idea is so stupid it hurt's smile

We could say your theory ran out of gas laugh

I guess Blaise Pascal's work could be the work of the devil designed to put you religious types off laugh

Last edited by Orac; 04/22/15 02:20 PM.

A
A
Thanks for the thought - it's an interesting addition which we can add. Mind you, I think it always works better if you don't make rude remarks - just stick with the constructive criticism.

That's one of the issues with anonymity isn't it? If one doesn't use one's real name, then one is less responsible for what one says.

Of course, what you have written may be 100% correct - but as you've not drilled down to 500km+ below the earth's surface, you can't be sure.

On the surface (pun intended), what you have illustrated would be an obvious problem etc. So thanks for that!

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: AndrewDJohnson
Thanks for the thought - it's an interesting addition which we can add. Mind you, I think it always works better if you don't make rude remarks - just stick with the constructive criticism.

I am sorry we face a regular lineup of dropkicks who don't even bother to do the most basic checks on current science understanding and come on here and promote some equally stupid idea such the one above.

Most science is supported by multiple lines of evidence and experiments that must all agree with each other or it will be investigated if at all possible. That is how the process works.

That's one of the issues with anonymity isn't it? If one doesn't use one's real name, then one is less responsible for what one says.

I take total responsibility for what I say, I can assure you I am nowhere near as nice in real life without forum rules. I think it gives away your background that you think people are intrinsically nice, which life will teach you is perhaps wrong. History is full of lots of nice people killing lots of other nice people, you may want to ponder that smile

You don't understand me and consider me not a nice person, I get and that is fine by me. What I don't get is why people like you don't actually ask questions before pushing these stupid ideas, I guess our politicians set a bad example.

Why I chose anonymity is for a personal reason but I would suggest you rethink putting your real name on this idea, you are making a big statement to the world smile

Of course, what you have written may be 100% correct - but as you've not drilled down to 500km+ below the earth's surface, you can't be sure.

Ah yeah standard response the laws of physics and gravity just decide to up and change under the earth because we haven't been there, makes perfect sense.

Please note we have this thing call a diamond anvil cell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_anvil_cell) and it can reach pressures of 600 gigapascals (more than our calculated pressure at centre of earth) so we don't have to speculate on what happens.

So your going to have to argue the pressure isn't that much which should generate a really good laugh.

We haven't even touched on the earth's magnetic field which is going to require metal or some exotic effect to produce or maybe we have the never seen magnetic water vapour as well in the core smile

On the surface (pun intended), what you have illustrated would be an obvious problem etc. So thanks for that!

The idea is stone dead, I think it needs some gas laugh

Last edited by Orac; 04/23/15 05:26 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
In the earlier article and video, we proposed that there was a layer of what we called “slush” – some kind of material which was not quite water, but was not ice. We also calculated the volume of water in the inner earth, based on the figures we had suggested then. Now, with the new/additional information about the proposed Ringwoodite layer, we can improve these calculations.

The discovery of Ringwoodite has given rise to some geological "flapdoodle". There are some interesting comments on Ringwoodite here:

http://forums.about.com/discussions/Geology/_/_/ab-geology/2363.1

There never was nothing.
P
P
It would seem quite simple to establish the pressure in the earth's core since it must be greater, (though not immensely greater) than the gas and water being vented along the mid ocean ridges.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: placedo
It would seem quite simple to establish the pressure in the earth's core since it must be greater, (though not immensely greater) than the gas and water being vented along the mid ocean ridges.

That isn't quite true. The gas and water venting from the mid-ocean ridges is coming from at most a few miles deep. The outer core lies 2,890 km (1,800 mi) beneath Earth's surface. At that depth the pressure is a lot above the pressure at the ridges. The deepest ridge is about 4 km (2 1/2 miles) below the surface of the ocean.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
The simplest way to calculate the pressure has been given by using Pascal's law because even normal solid's are going to deform and move at these pressures ... the logic is the movement only stops when you get crystaline structures form capable of withstanding the pressure.

The current understanding is the core is iron and so it is iron that is tested in a diamond anvil vice.

The science: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/15435...face-of-the-sun

In essence the idea is to extend a thought experiment of deep sea vessels that show the pressure increases the deeper you go because you are supporting all the mass above you. Remember atmospheric pressure is the mass of the thin air above you. The thought experiment simply goes extend the deepest ocean trench down to just above the centre of the earth and you can use normal pressure calculations to calculate the pressure there which the earth surface at that point must then withstand. So the only difference if a solid, liquid or gas is above you is if it can withstand the pressure. Hence in solids you can "mine a hole" so long as the material is capable of withstanding the pressure of the material above and in mining it is called the "intact rock strength". Many children have been killed digging tunnels in sand and having the roof collapse in on them under the mass of the material above the tunnel as well as a few mining accidents to same cause.

That is the basis of ignoring the fact we are dealing with solids because only crystaline solid structures would be able to withstand those sorts of pressures. If you don't have a structure capable of withstanding that pressure you can basically assume it is going to collapse under the pressure like any material does in a material science lab. For example granites fractures and collapse at a bit over 200 MegaPascals which is a lot less than the calculated centre of earth pressure. Ultimately you must come up with a structure capable of being able to survive the pressure calculated by pascals law.

So any suggested core structure can easily be tested in a materials lab and must be capable of withstanding the calculated 340 GigaPascals.

On gas giant planets like Jupiter the core is expected to be metallic hydrogen because that is consistent with the pressure at the centre of such a large planet would have. It is also consistent with the Magnetosphere of Jupiter the other fact the gas core whackies ignore.

Last edited by Orac; 05/01/15 03:02 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.