Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Does anyone else feel that what is being interpreted as westward motion of the outer core might mean only that the inner core and the mantle/crust are rotating eastward faster than the outer core?

not me , Im under the impression that they meant westward motion
when they said westward motion.

they would have used something like

slower eastward motion vs westward motion if that were the case.

Quote:
The magnetic field pushes eastwards on the inner core, causing it to spin faster than the Earth, but it also pushes in the opposite direction in the liquid outer core, which creates a westward motion.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
I do. The inner core is rotating about 2/3 of a second per day faster than the mantle/crust (Core Spins Faster Than Earth). So the fact that the outer core is 'rotating in the opposite direction' Doesn't mean that it is really going the other way around. In fact since it seems to be rotating more slowly in the reverse direction (that's from one of the links I threw in up above) then it isn't exactly like driving the wrong way down a freeway at 100 mph. The reversal of direction is relative to the inner core and the mantle/crust. With respect to the stars it is still rotating the same way.

thats not the way I see it.

looking at a rotating earth may throw you off.

try looking at it as if the earths crust and mantle were stationary.

the inner core should still be spinning eastward.
and
the outer core should still be spinning westward.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
My belief is that the best we can do is to evaluate the information available in the light of physics and common sense, and see where it leads.

I agree.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
The momentum of the inner core would decrease only if the deposition had a greater influence than the pushing effect, which is unlikely. Given that there is a pushing effect, wouldn’t the increase in mass involve an increase in momentum? P=mv, so if v is maintained, and m increases, p increases.

so if v is maintained

if there were an additional force added for rotation as the additional mass is added to the rotation then yes, the momentum would increase.

what we have here is a big ball of iorn that already has a amount of momentum which is P=mv.

Quote:
If p=mv, and m is increased, v could decrease by the appropriate amount and p could remain unchanged. Even without a mysterious force appearing from somewhere, p would not necessarily decrease as mass was added.

P would change because mass is added , as it slows down
P would go from a higher number to a lower number.

lets try that to see if it works.

without using magic.

P=mv
P=100kg x 10mps
P=1000 kg/ms or Ns

lets add mass and keep the velocity

P=mv
P=200kg x 10 mps
P=2000 kg/ms or Ns --> P goes to a higher number because mass is added.

now lets lower the velocity also

P=mv
P=200kg x 5 mps
P=1000 kg/ms or Ns --> P goes to a lower number

yes that works , but how will the entire inner core be decelerated.

by adding mass to the inner core !!!

Quote:
3) the momentum of the inner core would decrease and likewise
the momentum of the outer core would increase.
this would point to the inner core slowing down during the process , not speeding up.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The point I was making included the statement, in Bill’s link, that the magnetic field did some pushing. If that were the case p could actually increase as m increased.

the magnetic field cant push the inner core if the magnetic field is generated by the inner core.

because that would be like a magnet sitting on a table spinning around under its own power.

I think we need to include a few electromagnet fields.

possibly generated by the westward spinning outer core
and the eastward spinning inner core , crust and mantle.

dont you?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/MagEarth.html

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
the magnetic field cant push the inner core if the magnetic field is generated by the inner core.

because that would be like a magnet sitting on a table spinning around under its own power.

I think we need to include a few electromagnet fields.

possibly generated by the westward spinning outer core
and the eastward spinning inner core , crust and mantle.

dont you?

That is correct. The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the rotation of the conductive core. Movement of the electrons in that core produces the magnetic field. As I understand it the differential rotation of the inner and outer core would be created by the effects of the field from the inner core acting on the outer core. So the inner core would be pushed one way by the magnetic field while the outer core would be pushed the other way. That is like standing on a rotating platform and pushing against a rotating ring around the outside of the one you are standing on. You would rotate one way and the outer ring would rotate the other way.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
As I understand it the differential rotation of the inner and outer core would be created by the effects of the field from the inner core acting on the outer core.

This would be the case even though the inner core is not magnetic?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
This would be the case even though the inner core is not magnetic?

It just depends on it being conductive. The rotating magnetic field generates a current in the core and that current creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction. That's the same way small electric motors work.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
for clarity

The rotating magnetic field (of the inner core)

which is not an electromagnetic field

generates a current in the outercore

because the non electromagnetic field of the inner core causes electrons to pass
charges within the molten metal of the outer core in the direction of the inner cores non electromagnetic fields motion.

and that current creates the electromagnetic field of the outer core..which repels the magnetic field of the inner core causing the inner core itself to spin... in the opposite direction.

although the outer core and the inner core spin in different
directions , the electromagnetic field of the outer core would
still repel the magnetic field of the inner core.

like poles repel each other.

That's the same way small electric motors work.

I think I have that sort of right , what do you think Bill?

this brings us to why do we have pole shifts , LOL

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

A little clarification may be needed here. In fact all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field. They do not exist in isolation. We frequently speak of a magnetic field or an electric field as if it was an independent item. However, that is just a matter of how we are looking at them. Here is the Wikipedia article It has a fairly good explanation of just how the electromagnetic field works.

And with that small correction I think you have pretty good grasp of the situation.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I think I'll leave you and Paul to sort out the EM stuff, while I see if I can find out a bit more about the geology of the core mantle boundary.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
According to this one the inner core rotates in approximately every 750 to 1,440 years.

Should one assume that this means that the inner core completes one more rotation than the rest of the Earth in that time; rather than what it actually says?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
According to this one the inner core rotates in approximately every 750 to 1,440 years.

Should one assume that this means that the inner core completes one more rotation than the rest of the Earth in that time; rather than what it actually says?

That is certainly my interpretation. I recall one place I looked at that said there was an estimate of 1 degree per year, but they had a report that it was slower. I'm not sure now what the rate is, but it is not that much different from the speed of rotation of the Earth.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I recall one place I looked at that said there was an estimate of 1 degree per year, but they had a report that it was slower.

I think the latest figure is about a million times slower.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
A little clarification may be needed here. In fact all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field. They do not exist in isolation. We frequently speak of a magnetic field or an electric field as if it was an independent item. However, that is just a matter of how we are looking at them. Here is the Wikipedia article It has a fairly good explanation of just how the electromagnetic field works.

Bill, could you copy n paste that part of the wikipedia article
I couldnt find it.

I want to try and understand how they have come to that conclusion.

I cant see how a magnetic field of a magnet could be confused with a electromagnetic field.

I did find this

Quote:

Static E and M fields and static EM fields

When an EM field (see electromagnetic tensor) is not varying in time, it may be seen as a purely electrical field or a purely magnetic field, or a mixture of both. However the general case of a static EM field with both electric and magnetic components present, is the case that appe....

When an EM field is not varying in time is the focus there I believe.
and its talking about what observers would see if it were not varying in time.

Quote:
...appears to most observers. Observers who see only an electric or magnetic field component of a static EM field, have the other (electric or magnetic) component suppressed, due to the special case of the immobile state of the charges that produce the EM field in that case. In such cases the other component becomes manifest in other observer frames.

is that the part that you were referencing?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, I wasn't really referring to any particular part of the article on Wiki. I just wanted to provide an overview of the electromagnetic field.

I cant see how a magnetic field of a magnet could be confused with a electromagnetic field.

Keep in mind that the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is generated by the circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet. It is a manifestation of the electromagnetic field of those charges.

In your quote about static E and M fields notice that they are referring to EM fields that are not varying in time. This is of course a simplification, since there is in reality no such thing as an EM field that doesn't vary in time. It just varies such a small amount during the time we are observing it that we can work with it as if it is static.

Also in your second quote about observers who see a static E or M field notice that they mention that even if the observer sees static E or M field that the other field will be seen by observers in other frameworks. As I understand it that means that if a charge is not moving in one framework you can see a static E or M field, in that framework. If somebody else observes it who is moving with respect to the charge the other field will be observed in their framework.

And of course even if we have a static field and make some kind of measurement of that field then it will cease to be static, since our measurement will perturb it to some extent. This is an old problem in practical applications. I am well aware of it from the time I was an electronics technician. If I measured a voltage I had to be aware of the impedance of my measuring instrument, since it could load the source of the voltage and cause an erroneous reading. I needed to use a voltmeter that had a high enough impedance that it did not cause a significant change. Notice that it would cause a change, but not enough to create a problem in the reading.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Keep in mind that the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is generated by the circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet. It is a manifestation of the electromagnetic field of those charges.

circulation?

don't you mean orientation of charges?

circulation of charges implies constant energy input into a permanent magnet that would generate any proposed electromagnetic field.

from what I have always understood to be fact , the magnetic
field of a permanent magnet is due only to the orientation of atoms within the magnet.

like striking a iron bar while holding it in line with the
earths magnetic field causes the iron bar to be magnetized because the atoms inside the iron bar all align with the earths magnetic field and they remain locked into that orientation and the orientation is what causes the magnetic field.

theres no charges that are circulating in a permanent magnet
unless theres something that causes the charges to circulate as
in a electromagnet that has current passing through it.

and as soon as the current is removed the electromagnetic field is also removed.

this wouldn't be like QM or Relativity stuff would it?

because it sounds a lot like it may be.

each atom has a north and south pole.
like the earth has , when the iron bar is struck the atoms all
align with the earths magnetic lines of force.

the charges that you say that are circulating is nothing more
than the alignment of the atoms inside the iron bar.

striking the iron bar is what allows the atoms inside the iron bar to move around and align with the earths magnetic field.

if there were charges being circulated within a permanent magnet then the proposed charges could be extracted using a
copper wire coil because the electromagnetic field should also protrude from the permanent magnet , to date I don't think this has been accomplished.

it must be QM or Relativity because it certainly isn't reality.

Quote:
circulation of charges at the atomic level in the magnet.

if what you meant was

circulation of charges within the atoms of the magnet.

then I could certainly agree with you.
because each atom has circulating electrons , LOL

that would mean that you could stack atoms up on top of
one another and form a larger magnetic field , but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

and all iron bars do not naturally have a magnetic field , but all iron bars do have atoms within it that have magnetic fields.

and charges do not pass from atom to atom unless the atoms are excited by some external means , so theres no circulation of charges outside of the atoms in a permanent magnet.

the iron core of our earth generates a simple magnetic field.
it does not itself generate any type of electromagnetic field.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

I said that the charges were at the atomic level. It is the individual charges within the atom that create the magnetic field. When the atoms have their magnetic orientation aligned then the bar becomes a permanent magnet, produced by the circulation of all those charges in the atoms.

And yes it is a QM effect. Just about everything that isn't SR comes down to QM.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Not having a great deal of luck finding references to counter rotation of the outer core, but this one provides a slightly different perspective.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/40/15914

“Seismic probing of the earth’s deep interior has shown that the inner core, the solid core of our planet, rotates slightly faster (i.e., eastward) than the rest of the earth. Quite independently, observations of the geomagnetic field provide evidence of westward-drifting features at the edge of the liquid outer core.”

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
lets revisit the moments.

Quote:

and its not an electromagnetic field , its a simple magnetic field.

Quote:

And with that small correction I think you have pretty good grasp of the situation.

I dont believe that needed correcting however
when you wrote the below I believe it needed correcting.

as all magnetic and electric fields are part of an electromagnetic field.

all magnetic and electric fields are not part of a electromagnetic field.

all magnetic and electric fields
are caused by the orientation of atoms.

Quote:
Bill, could you copy n paste that part of the wikipedia article
I couldnt find it.

I want to try and understand how they have come to that conclusion.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
circulation?

don't you mean orientation of charges?

Quote:
but still there is no circulation of charges within the magnet itself , only in the atoms of the magnet.

Quote:
I said that the charges were at the atomic level. It is the individual charges within the atom that create the magnetic field. When the atoms have their magnetic orientation aligned then the bar becomes a permanent magnet, produced by the circulation of all those charges in the atoms.

what circulates in the atoms?

in order for there to be circulation a charge would have to leave an atom at the bottom of the stack of atoms and move to the atom above it , until it reaches the atom at the top of the stack of atoms , when the charge leaves the top of the stack of atoms then the charge would have to travel from the top of the stack ( outside of the magnet and to the bottom of the magnet ) and then enter the magnet at the bottom of the stack.

Quote:
And yes it is a QM effect. Just about everything that isn't SR comes down to QM.

that is so very sad.

Quote:
The electric field and the magnetic field are components of the electromagnetic field.

the above tells me that a magnetic field and an electric field are two separate fields but they are both components of an electromagnetic field.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.