Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any ideas for an experiment on collision (elastic/inelastic) or impulse (mechanical) or energy transfer?

Please help me brainstorm! It's a wide topic, so anything goes, as long as it yields something interesting or fun.

Lab equipment is not a porblem. I have access to a MacReflex (high speed camera/motion sensor thing), an air hockey table, among other measuring devices and gadgets, and I can get pretty much anything needed.

I promise I will inform you of the outcome of the experiment!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds interesting. Any takers?

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
You need a number of eggs.

Build a small cage on wheels that can hold an egg and that you can impel at variable, predetermined speeds.

Launch the loaded cage at a stationary "wall" (say, a brick) at various speeds, starting at low speed and increasing until you find the speed at which the egg cracks.

Then change the experiment. Have two loaded cages that launch at each other ... start at low speed and increase until the eggs crack.

It would be good to have the cages run on tracks so as to direct the momentum.

Now here's the experimental question:
Kinetic Energy (KE) is equal to 1/2*m*v^2.

If the two cages launch at each other, their relative velocities are 2*v. However, this would yield a larger KE than the two KE's considered separately.

KE (computed separately) = mv^2

KE (computed relative) = 1/2 m (2*v)^2 = 2mv^2

There are other techniques that you could use to indirectly measure the KE, of course. Anyway, this is an experiment I'd really like to know the results of.

U
Superstar
Superstar
U
A pendulum is interesting but a compound pendulum is more interesting. Collisions are always arranged with rigid bodies. It doesn't have to be that way.

Suppose your cart contains a mass mounted on a loose spring in line with the axis of collision.

|--/\/\/\/\--|mass| --/\/\/\/\--|

Now you have a compound collision and rebound. Can you play with resonances beween two of them?

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Use your high speed camera to photograph a pellet shot from your air gun (you do have one don't you)? into- water-an egg-oil-balloon-cardboard-sugarlump, etc
By shooting the sugarlump in the dark, you will be able to see 'Triboluminescence' ie. the light flashes, given out by deformed sugar crystals.

If you got no airgun, hold a sugar cube in each hand, and grind them together,six inches from your eye/camera.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perform another experiment ...
As soon as the ball leaves bat make sure you capture the impression it leaves on the ball and Bat.
Try to relate it to Energy consumed by the Ball in making the impact of felt.
It will knock of atoms of the Ball and Bat.
You will find that not all the material went to cover the trajectory and some of the Bat also went on for a ride on Ball.
Once done make more corrections to find the final shape of the Ball and Shape during the impact.
Repeat the Experiment to find out if the shape , size and energy content consumed by the ball impact remains exactly the same or is different.
You will need identical Balls and Bats to do so.
If the Balls and Bats are of the same material then it will be difficult to measure.
Repeat the experiment atleast 20 times.
Hope you will be ready with your theoretical predictions to compare the outcome.
I guess you have enough technology to make this observation and measurements.
I think you should discover something new.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Ive never read so much crap in my life.
Your descriptive English is so abysmal,it makes whatever you are trying to describe, as disjointed as your mind.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope you have understood the experiment.
This experiemnt will tell a simple fact:
Every Imapct has its own unique signature.
Infact it carries the impression of time. Which can not be simuated on any Computer.
Similarly the Energy used by the imapct varies.
Now the question is there a way to measure it?
If so then can we come with a Mathematical answer to model the situation?
Even the most ideal experiment setup suffers from its so called failures due to reasons beyond its control.
No manufatcurer can give you the identical Lattice Signature for the experiment.
At best it can give you a mettalic answer.

Understanding metal is also important.
As metallic understanding does not come from exact Maths ... and gives you a very rough answer.
The Molecular Orbitals are understood as Sea of Electrons and the electrons are given a choice to exist in large space..And luckily all the electrons keep up with their promise to hold the atoms together and do not allow Ionisation of Atoms.It is intersting to note that Electrons are "free" due to delocatization of Probability Space and yet bounded by the influence of Atom(to disallow formation of Ions).Which is contradictory.
Unless they still have precise Rule of Electron distribution it is not possible to compute the metallic nature consistently.
There is a very rough understanding of actual Nature. Chemists do not ask for precise answers(except in exceptional cases) therefore they do not have the trouble of handling Singularity very often.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By this point I'm sure the original questioner is as confused as a person can get.

Anna, just ignore dkv. He has a serious problem with communicating in English, and none of us can made heads or tails of what he so persistently spouts here on the forum. He's very passionate about his posts and thinks they are great pearls of wisdom, even though they make no sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.