Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Brett Byers
Unregistered
Brett Byers
Unregistered
B
Please join me in the most cost effective means (most by over a factor of 1,000) of mitigating global warming, which is to save tropical rainforest from destruction. (I give some calculations of this further below)

You can save 20 acres of rainforest (which stores about 200 tons of carbon per acre) for a mere 10 dollars via this link: http://www.rainforesttrust.org/acres-for-50cents/ . And the first $200,000 of donations this year will be doubled by a matching challenge.

After giving, you can share with others via these social networking tools: http://www.rainforesttrust.org/social-media/ .

If you wish to give by check, please make the check payable to Rainforest Trust (with Sierra del Divisor in the memo or "for" area of the check) and please mail the check to: Rainforest Trust, 25 Horner St., Warrenton, VA 20186.

The Rainforest Trust is a 4 star rated charity (by Charity Navigator) and over 90% of all donates go to saving specific rainforest acres (by land purchase or establishment of preserves and parks). 100% of donations to the Sierra del Divisor project go to saving acres of rainforest (less a small transaction fee charged by Network for Good for credit card payments).

As a method to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, saving an acre of rainforest for $0.50 is over 1,000 times more cost effective than buying a hybrid or electric car (rather than a conventional gas-powered car) or installing solar panels on your home, each of which cost well over $1,000 and each individually do less to prevent carbon dioxide emissions than saving one acre of rainforest. This 1,000+ ratio holds true in comparison to other alternatives as well.

Here are some interesting bits of information that you may find informative, interesting and/or motivating:

1. I have much skin in the game: I have funded projects to save over 500,000 acres of rainforest this year, and have committed to fund another 500,000 acres (I will fund the great majority of this in 2014).

2. Much due diligence behind this project: During 2014, I spent many weeks of full time work searching for the most cost effective ways to save rainforest (visiting the Amazon twice and working with many conservation charities) to develop the most cost effective projects to save rainforest. This project is the result, and others will follow. Note that I gobbled up (via donations) all other cost effective projects I could find during 2013, making it necessary to push charities to develop larger projects, such as this one.

3. I am a fiduciary with respect to this project: I recently joined the Rainforest Trust board.

While I am new to this group, I am very serious about this issue. Since retiring as a venture capitalist last year, I have become aware of the full potential threat of global warming through much study and research, and have become obsessed with pursuing the most cost-effective means to mitigate global warming. You can read a bit more about my background here: http://www.rainforesttrust.org/about/our-board-of-directors/ .

Superstar
Superstar
Hello, Brett Byers,
Welcome to the forum. We don't usually allow requests for money on our forum, as it is a Science forum, and strictly speaking, asking for money is spamming, which our rules forbid. I will let it stand so long as there is no objection from other members of the forum, as I believe it is a worthy cause. If you have anything with scientific content, please feel free to post it here.

Peace and Health,

Amaranth

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.