Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Cosmologist suggests universe might not be expanding after all
This article in Phys.Org suggests that the red shift of the light from distant galaxies is caused by an increase in the mass of the universe. Basically the theorist thinks that if the mass of the atoms emitting the light long ago and far away was lower than it is now the light would have been redder when it was emitted. Since light from near objects would have been emitted by matter that is more massive now it would be bluer than the light we receive from far away. One of the things this would change would be that the universe might be shrinking rather than expanding.

I'm not going to bet the farm on this one being right, but it is interesting.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
You have to love the kicker.

=>Unfortunately, Wetterich's theory can't be tested because of the relative nature of mass

String theory has a lot to answer for our science media are now happy to print articles about things that could never be proved cry

I am so going to start the little green aliens are pushing the universe wall theory out and see if I can get it published as a sort of commentary on science media smile

Last edited by Orac; 08/15/13 02:22 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Come back Bill 6, all is forgiven!

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
It's actually a funny idea if you think about it.

So mass is getting heavier but one has to ask in reference to what is it getting heavier?

We need the universe connected to something that isn't in the universe which is pulling those things in the universe progressively harder and giving them more mass.

Note that is a very different proposition to dark matter which is still in the universe just not interacting very much with matter but reacting with itself.

It would actually make more sense to reverse the above argument and say the area outside the universe is pushing back on matter stronger and stronger because at least outside the universe is already that outside the universe.

Hmmmmm lets call it non universe resistance and it's increasing ... wonder if I can get published smile

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.