Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48683 05/16/13 05:42 PM
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
These mind Boggling Futuristic Machines are the nearest
thing to a Science Fiction Vending machine, that Sci Fi
writers talk about in their storys.
I have been hunting for these 3D manufacturing machines,
and it seems we better get on the band-wagon, or get left behind....seems they are growing exponentially.

Making tremedous advances.
Photograph hi-security 'Safe keys', and you've got a spare set!
Input 3d Cad from a memory pen....it will shrink it down and produce it.
Photograph your Art work, or photo of your living room....
And you get a small perfect replica in 3D.

I think these machines are going to get bigger, (with long platerns?)....enabling them to produce say, musical instruments
and other full life size objects.

Here is a selection of 3D printers I have found
You can buy them now. Dont Delay The future is Here
Prices from £1000 - £2900.

Turn your 2D artistry canvas into a 3D Picture, for sale. Multicolours.
http://www.creat3dprinters.com/3d_printers/cubex_trio/

Used X3 Extruders to make your 3D Cad Designed object.
http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/content/3dtouch-3d-printer

Will print your 3d Cad designs, and auto minimise to fit our 3D Up-Plus-Printer
http://3dprintingsystems.com/products/up-plus-3d-printer/

Import your 3d photos (uses Sterio-lithography)
http://formlabs.com/

Light weight printer. Can import your STL Cad files
http://www.afinia.com/3d-printers

The MakerBot Robo Savvy ready to go
http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/3297

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
The potential is endless. Soon we'll have organic inputs like beef bouillon fiber, and synthesize edible materials. Imagine your Oscar Meyer wiener coming from a 3-D printer one day. Complete with bread, and chili topped with cheese. The mind boggles.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
The potential is endless. Soon we'll have organic inputs like beef bouillon fiber, and synthesize edible materials. Imagine your Oscar Meyer wiener coming from a 3-D printer one day. Complete with bread, and chili topped with cheese. The mind boggles.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

OMG ..I have just discovered that you are so right!
Amaranth - you are a genius to suggest things like Organic Foods.
Because it seems that Cornell University have produced a 3D printer that is already printing Hambergers, and even Living Tissue with Colloids, plus added Vitamins.

Their list for this machine is endless....Peanut butters, Biscuits, Scallops, together with items made from Clay, Epoxies Resins, and Stainless Steels

Watch their Video, printing:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnP7R1vBueM

Superstar
Superstar
Aha! The age of replicated food is upon us. Star Trek, here we come! I wonder if anyone has thought of the possibility of printing caviar? That would bring the price way down, and save a lot of sturgeons. It seems that the sky is the limit, as long as you have an adequate raw material. I can imagine kids coming home from school and using the printer to make cookies for a snack. A homemaker telling their spouse, "Dinner will be ready in five minutes, I'm just waiting for the printer to make the steaks." It would revolutionize grocery shopping, that's for sure. "I'll take two bottles of meat and three bottles of green vegetables." The possibilities are endless...

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
And another food printer. NASA has given a grant to somebody to develop a food printer for extended space travel. The company is working first on a pizza printer. The story is here at Phys.Org.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Baby’s life saved with 3D printed device

A bioresorbable splint used for first time, successfully stopped life-threatening tracheobronchomalacia...The device was created directly from a CT scan of Kaiba’s trachea/bronchus, integrating an image-based computer model with laser-based 3D printing to produce the splint.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/babys-life-sav...252e1-282065406

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
#48775 06/03/13 01:44 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I just saw this story on Phys.Org:3-D printing goes from sci-fi fantasy to reality

3D printing is popping up all over the place. A couple of things mentioned that kind of amused me is the idea that the military is considering using it to make parts for weapons. That would be handy if you had a weapon break and didn't have the part, just make a new one. The other thing that kind of matched that one was the recent printed gun and the flap that has caused. So they want to be able to print weapon parts, but not let anybody else print weapon parts.

And starting this month Staples Office Supply, a chain of office supply stores here in the US, will start selling a 3d Printer for $1300. And in September the "3Doodler" will be released. It is a 3D pen that will sell for around $50.

And there are a lot of other cool ideas floating around out there. This may be one of the hottest things going.

Bill Gill

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 06/03/13 12:36 PM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
And now even more news about 3D printers. NASA is going to send one to the Space Station. That's according to this article on Phys.Org.

They plan to have the printer and its software certified for space sometime next year.

Bill gill

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
No wonder they are taking a 3D Printer to the Moon, Bill.
Seem's no limit to what a Computer and a 3D Printer can do.

These clever guys printed off a pair or prosthetic arms for a small child

http://video.techbriefs.com/video/3D-Printed-Robotic-Exoskeleton

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
And Finally a Printed Human Heart
Well you can't use it as a replacement ...quite yet.
But since you can print foods, and in particular certain meats, like hamburgers.....it might not be too long before at least certain parts of a Heart (like Valves) could be printed and used.

This actual print perfect 3D model of a flexible Heart that can be examined by hand.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/jun/03/cardiac-problems-3d-printing-heart/

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Update on 3D Food Printers July 2013.

NASA has given a $125,000 grant to the 'Anjan Systems & Materials Research Corporation' to create a universal food
synthesizer for Astronauts use, on Mars.

Aimed at deep space missions, the team has printed, Noodles, Turkey loaf, Basil paste, Bread and Cake.
There will be no food waste,since the various food powders have a shelf life of up to 30 years.

http://qz.com/86685/the-audacious-plan-to-end-hunger-with-3-d-printed-food/

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23542-how-to-build-a-mars-colony-that-lasts--forever.html

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
More news on the availability of 3-D printers. Microsoft is going to start selling the MakerBot in its stores. Phys.Org: MakerBot printers come to more Microsoft stores.

There will be 18 Microsoft stores selling the printers. The Makerbot Replicator 2 will be priced at $2,549 from stores when bundled with MakerBot's service plan.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
its a toy , because it uses PLA , if you build something with it
it will melt in a hot car , if what you build has movable parts that contact with each other then the heat caused by the
fiction created will melt and fuse the parts together.

ABS should be used when building non toys that serve a purpose
and that do have movable parts involved.

Quote:
The lower melting temperature of PLA makes it unsuitable for many applications as even parts spending the day in a hot car can droop and deform.

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/2013/01/the-difference-between-abs-and-pla-for-3d-printing/

if you only want to build what nots to keep in your refrigerator
then I suppose it would be just the thing for you.

I thought about getting one myself , until I read about the
PLA filament that it uses.

the below playdough factory only cost apx $7.00 and if you keep
the models you make in the refrigerator you should get the same
results.

if the Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer also used ABS filament then this would be something that I would buy , as for now
I'm afraid that those who do buy one will mostly be disappointed with the results of their labor and expense.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
it's getting more like a replicator every day!

Re the Playdough-- You can get a lovely colourful spaghetti result by using a garlic press! Or a Mouli mill, (though the latter is a nightmare to clean afterwards! )

It would look stunning in the fridge--- why have I never thought of that?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Phys.Org reports on a study that says that making things with aa 3-D printer is more energy efficient than making them in a factory in China and shipping them to the US. So everybody should get a 3D printer and start making their own stuff.

The story is here.

So does this mean we should move this to the Climate Change forum?

Bill Gill

Superstar
Superstar
No, I think it best stay where it is. It's a physics problem, after all, manufacturing small parts and "bits" is going to change greatly in the near future. All those little things like plastic tops and toy soldiers are going to soon be run off at home, with more control over their quantity and quality. If you need a sharpshooter, you can load the sharpshooter program and print away. If it's a tank you want, no problem, spin one out from the 3-D printer. Foliage, rocks, "sand" and pebbles can soon be simulated for the fan of miniature dioramas. My ex would have a ball with it. Simple pleasures for simple minds.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
It has been a while and I don't remember where I saw it, but the story I heard is that the most popular use for 3-D printers is making action figures.

Bill Gill

Superstar
Superstar
LOL The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Why buy an action figure when you can just print one out? This would be the ideal way to make a sharpshooter, or a monster for D & D. You could scan it in and print copies so everyone has one. Just what every dungeon master needs, an endless supply of characters and monsters.

Megastar
Megastar
IMO, JESUS WAS AN EARLY FUTURIST

In Matthew 19:26 we read:
Quote:
Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

Matthew 19:25-27 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)
This insightful comment, by Jesus--and no doubt there were other ancient thinkers like him--inspires me to believe That he taught: There is a power--within and around each and everyone of us, which helps us Generate, Organize and Deliver what we call the future.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Ok, latest news. Cheap metal 3-D printer. Phys.Org:Scientists build a low-cost, open-source 3-D metal printer.

The report describes a 3-D printer for metallic objects. It was built for less than $1500 (US). That includes a MIG welder. Right now it is somewhat limited in what it can build, but they expect that to change rapidly as the design gets around. The next step towards a DIY world is getting closer.

Bill Gill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.