Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHIES, THE SCIENCES AND THE ARTS

Many thanks to everyone, especially those who wrote any of the 2,129 replies to the thread that, with the help of my son, Turner, came into being, Fri Feb 02 2007, and at this point has received over 6,700,000 views.

Quote:
Not much room for naming a real title that makes sense. Why the limitation, I wonder? In other forums there seems to be lots of room to spell out a title. How come the rationing, here?

What I would like to know is: What is your philosophy of religion. Atheists, you opinion is also respected.

Regarding this topic, I may choose to just sit back and read. But I will read, and listen. Meanwhile, I will add to the other and current thread, as is appropriate.

Edited by Turner (Fri Feb 02 2007 09:21 PM)

=================================
YES, IMMEDIATELY IT GOT ATTENTION. Here is what D.A. Morgan wrote
Quote:
Philosophy of religion?

My philosophy is that there are two types of religion. One in which people have personal belief systems both moral/ethical and with respect to the nature of reality and their environment and the good sense and culture to treasure them as personal beliefs.

And then there are those who are self-annointed, self-righteous hypocrites that use people's inate "need" to know the answers to life's big questions to parasitize them for their personal financial gain.

Just once I'd like to find someone publicly proclaiming they have all of the answers with one hand who isn't holding out the other hand asking for money and the power to offer up advice on how you could improve yourself if you just did what they want you to do.

Let me give you a perfect example. We have a troll here in this group selling fuzzy thinking and vague ideas, on subjects of which he is truly as ignorant as my cat. He tries to quote authorless scripture he has never read with one hand while asking for money with the other.

And anyone who actually looks into the so-called Reverend's background quickly discovers that his actual skill set is as a hypnotherapist (well if that doesn't qualify him to speak about and for god I can't imagine what would).

Yes, every new birth--human and non-human--has its risks, that's LIFE. IMO, every normal human child is born a PHILOSOPHER--one who loves to learn whatever truths, warts and all, life has to offer.

IMO,IT TAKES A WHOLE COMMUNITY TO RAISE A CHILD
However, once the child is born, it is, or ought to be, the joyful opportunity of parents (hopefully caring ones), teachers--all our social leaders, whoever, to help children become knowledgeable--increase in "wisdom and stature" (In Luke 2:52, Luke said this about Jesus)--and become the healthy, responsible, creative and wise human beings Life intends and we all value.

So here we go with child # 2 PHILOSOPHY-thread.

Now let us talk about human families: Interestingly, in my family I was # 7--born in January 1930. It was at the very beginning of the "Dirty Thirties" and THE GREAT DEPRESSION, which probably helped trigger WW 2.

Poor and unemployed Germans, of all races, became desperate. They needed and asked for help. But it was not given it. Instead they were threatened and victimized.

Had the political leaders of England, the USA and other well-off nations at the time been wise enough to offer this help and direct the banks so to do. Everyone would have prospered, including the rich and powerful.

Probably even the obviously mentally ill and insane dictator-in-the making, Adolph Hitler, would have gotten the psychiatric-medical help he needed. Who knows! He could have been employed as a captain of industry, and not the insane master of destruction he did become.

This raises many important and philosophical questions:

Now, may I ask the economists, the leaders of business, and I mean the BIG & small, financiers, union leaders, the media, educators--including the leaders of the great religions--all our social leaders: How come World War 1--the so-called "war to end all wars"--did not bring us a LASTING kind of PEACE--the kind in which everyone gets the opportunity to create and share the wealth?

Instead it brought a selfish and greed-based kind of prosperity for the few--in the ROARING TWENTIES. And let us not forget the DEPRESSION, eh? How come? Any answers from the wise ones?

How come we did it all over again, beginning in 1939? More booms and more busts. At 9, I was old enough to be aware of and to begin to think about such things. The thinking continues.

NEWFOUNDLAND WAS VERY MUCH PART OF THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC
In 1942, at 12, I witnessed 2 attacks by enemy subs. The attacks caused the deaths of 65 merchant seamen, and the destruction of part of the piers not far from my house. For details of the two attacks on Bell Island, NL, check out www.bellisland.net --famous for the iron-ore mined (2,100 miners) on the island. There is an essay on the event.

BTW, early one morning in 1942, we found two enemy rifles in the ditch near our water well, which took us (4 brothers) months to dig--over 20 feet deep, in solid rock.

Obviously, an enemy patrol, off a sub, was looking for fresh water. Had they knocked on the door, someone would have probably said: "Come in and have breakfast and tea, eh me sons!" laugh Quite a story.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/11/13 06:02 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
This thread seems to follow the same theme as the other.

The personal history of Rev. LG King..

Which will necessarily lead to the repeated beliefs and opinions derived from your association to your self image, and the comparison of that image to others based on an identification with the past.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
As the MODERATORS STATE, PLAINLY,
Quote:
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.

Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.

So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

Nowhere do the moderators forbid PERSONAL STORIES. For me, with nothing to hide, my personal story is a real part of who I am and what I believe. The numbers indicate that such stories also seem to attact readers.

I use personal stories to back up MY philosophy of life and my religion. If the moderators forbid personal stories, I will simply stop posting.

Therefore, take note: Your opinion and what you think of my opinion is the topic, not what you think of me as a person. I repeat: I am not the topic.

To the point: Posters, please, what I want to know--and I assume others want to know the same thing--is your opinion, your philosophy of life & religion, which stories of who you are often help make the point.

It should be obvious at this point that posters slagging of other posters usually gets threads deleted.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
my personal story is a real part of who I am and what I believe.

Who you are as you see yourself, may differ from another and his or her point of view, based on their own value system.
You should know that Rev. Since you made it clear that you value someone you know nothing about as a "zero".

Case in point: Your idea that the Philosophy of religions thread was on topic differed from the moderator who made the statement that it was coming down in part because it wasn't on topic.

Obviously we all see things differently. Whether we kick and scream for attention to make our own point of view more important than another seems to get swallowed by the final authority. That authority is going to be different for each environment.

A great life question would be: would you base your worth on what the authority says, or what anyone says? Do you value your worth above others?
Obviously you have a system. You rated me at zero.
You mentioned Hitler. He had a system too. Imagine if you could have the same influence that he had when giving his rating to the Jews. I probably wouldn't be alive anymore.

The numbers indicate that such stories also seem to attact readers.
That is your opinion or belief.
My theory is that the thread title had appeal, and you advertised it in every other website forum you visited.

God really only knows why anyone is drawn to anything, without directly asking them or having their experience.

I use personal stories to back up MY philosophy of life and my religion.

I can see that. Based on the association to the past and the way the mind attaches itself to the past and their influence. The way the mind sees and experiences the present moment is often colored by past events. Very few experience anything without association to a past moment.
That's what belief is, a stand in and amongst isolated thoughts and limits of perception. Religion is a system built on a democratic process in the acceptance of ideas of reality that become belief.
Philosophical ideas like "Plato's cave" http://voices.yahoo.com/platos-allegory-cave-analysis-summary-25170.html
paint a picture of illusions created by the mind when standing on principals that are based on subjectivity in a narrowed state of objectivity or isolated environments and a lack of experience.
The ego measures the world from the outside experience in comparison to the belief system. What makes the personality or the ego think it is a certain way or a something, is conditioning.
Observance of the Self and its perceptions of reality are often more philosophical in nature when the question is asked "Who am I"?
The ego measures itself by the collection of experiences and thoughts about the perceived reality.
Spiritually or philosophically, The self is something before the imprinted past and the adopted past identifications with what we believe the world is.
Our perceptions of reality are enforced by peers, family and the educational system.
Your religion is both a product of your early influences as a child, and the system that validated you as a religious graduate.
Based on an idea of freedom and what that means, we can know what we experience and imagine what it means in reference to whatever values are taught to us, and finally accepted as the personal belief.

Your opinion and what you think of my opinion is the topic, not what you think of me as a person.
I thought the topic was about philosophy rather than opinion. I see one as being inclusive and the other, as exclusive.
I repeat: I am not the topic.
I agree, however your opinions of the topic always seem to point back to you, who you are and what you believe as the final statement, since you have a habit of repeating yourself a gazillion times.
You might have named the previous thread on philosophy of relgions, "The opinions and beliefs of Rev. Lgking and his philosophy of what that means to himself and humanity."
what I want to know--and I assume others want to know the same thing--is your opinion, your philosophy of life & religion, which stories of who you are often help make the point.

Life seems to go on regardless of the preconceived notions and beliefs that create religion.
Philosophically speaking..with 7 billion people all having their own unique experiences, and with the beliefs and thoughts as they exist at the time of this writing. I think I can say that as we imagine life to be something, and with none of us giving our individuality up for a lack of value to become someone else, we will die and the future peoples will ignore our philosophy, beliefs and opinions as we ignore the beliefs, thoughts and religious (or non religious) opinions of the long ago dead.
Psychologically speaking...
The ones who attach importance to the impermanence of our own thoughts, beliefs (whether religious or not) and opinions of life, are more likely afraid to have spent their life without purpose, IF THEY CAN'T FIND CONFIRMATION FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY THAT THEIR OPINIONS HAVE VALUE.

It should be obvious at this point that posters slagging of other posters usually gets threads deleted.

Guess you better not slag anyone anymore Rev.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
IMO, and broadly speaking: There are three kinds of philosophers--materialists, idealists and existentialists.

All have important things to tell all of us. It would be interesting to listen to what they have to say.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
IMO, and broadly speaking: There are three kinds of philosophers--materialists, idealists and existentialists.

All have important things to tell all of us. It would be interesting to listen to what they have to say.

Only Three? You've had more acronyms for God than that! Surely there must be more than three. I'll bet that if there were 7 billion different ideas there would be 21 billion then if they all could think of three.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I have a problem with only 3 as well Rev K and to me you left out the most important one .... Ontology.

It's funny I was sort of discussing this for a totally different reason with Bill about a mathematical world.

The problem from an ontology point of view is GOD's existence doesn't solve the problem or create an end point because one may pose does GOD have a GOD? The problem goes on and on to infinite GOD's and there is no way to preclude it unless you take a GOD declaring he is the only GOD at face value which is what most religions do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology

Quote:

Parmenides was among the first to propose an ontological characterization of the fundamental nature of existence. In his prologue or proem he describes two views of existence; initially that nothing comes from nothing, and therefore existence is eternal. Consequently our opinions about truth must often be false and deceitful. Most of western philosophy, and science - including the fundamental concepts of falsifiability and the conservation of energy - have emerged from this view. This posits that existence is what can be conceived of by thought, created, or possessed. Hence, there can be neither void nor vacuum; and true reality can neither come into being nor vanish from existence. Rather, the entirety of creation is eternal, uniform, and immutable, though not infinite (he characterized its shape as that of a perfect sphere). Parmenides thus posits that change, as perceived in everyday experience, is illusory. Everything that can be apprehended is but one part of a single entity. This idea somewhat anticipates the modern concept of an ultimate grand unification theory that finally explains all of existence in terms of one inter-related sub-atomic reality which applies to everything

If you want to think carefully about that there are a lot of us ontologists around smile

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Oh no.. what a segue.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
So, Orac, does that mean that the answer to the age-old question --'Is that all there is?'- must be 'Yes'?

Last edited by Ellis; 07/15/13 02:26 AM.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
THAT being subjective

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Sort of what TT said or more specifically ....

"Consequently our opinions about truth must often be false and deceitful" smile

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Orac
Sort of what TT said or more specifically ....

"Consequently our opinions about truth must often be false and deceitful" smile

Or accommodating to the individual because the reality of time and space does not define itself. Only reveal itself in the way we choose to see it.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Haha you are just saying it the nice way TT because you don't like to be bad like me laugh

There is actually a funny irony TT that our two views which on face are poles apart are actually not that different.

If your GOD exists he has a wicked sense of humour smile

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Haha you are just saying it the nice way TT because you don't like to be bad like me laugh

I'm not that self righteous.

There is actually a funny irony TT that our two views which on face are poles apart are actually not that different.

Not poles apart, just seen and experienced thru different lenses. You think yours are clear and mine not so much. But then that's the way it is.

If your GOD exists he has a wicked sense of humour smile
If what you determine my God to be exists, then that would be out of my field of vision. I can't be you, right?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Speaking to TT, you say,
... If your GOD exists he has a wicked sense of humour smile
Orac, I note that when you speak of divine being you use the acronym, GOD, not the noun God.

Are you familiar with the term, acronym? For example, in the media we often read about the USA, the USSR (now history). Both are acronyms.

ORAC, ABOUT YOUR USE OF THE ACRONYM, "GOD".

Like most people, Orac, it seems to me that what you have in mind when you hear about and write about what most people call "God"--and please correct me if I misunderstand you--is as follows:

To me you seem to believe there is a "god" who possibly exists--a kind of Superman type who is a human-like being with super powers, one with idol-like dimensions.

Is this so? BTW, do I recall you saying you were raised without religion. Did you have any exposure to Christianity, Judaism, whatever?

As I have said often: For me, G~0~D not a supernatural being, but is all that IS--physically, mentally and spiritually speaking.

G~0~D is a special acronym I created to include the gift of having personal awareness, of being conscious that we are persons with ability to be at one with what IS and with other persons--with the attitude of Agape-Love and the Golden Rule.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/17/13 03:11 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.