Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48806 06/11/13 02:02 AM
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
An American computer maintenance engineer who used to work in the CIA and then was later transfered to the highly secure National Security Agency, (NSA) discovered a top secret program called 'Prism' which was monitoring and storing all Global Internet Information.
The American whistleblower (Edward Snowdon) left his $250,000 year job and fled to HongKong, taking all the secret data in the form of CD's and Memory sticks with him.

While in HongKong he gave an exclusive interview with Britains Guardian newspaper, stating that he could not stand the amount of secrecy that the CIA and NSI were using not only World Wide, but were saving millions of Americans Emails, that were using Google and Yahoo....in fact any American based search engine's data is being stored.
He mentioned that not only Americans personal data is stored, but any person who lives overseas and uses an American based Search Engine, like Yahoo.com and Gmail.com -etc. for their Emails, are also stored and saved once they come in or go out from the USA search engines.

All this secret stolen Data wich may well come out into the Public domain..is in my opinion..far more dangerous than the 'Wiki-Leaks' of Julian Assange and the American Bradley Manning (now on trial).
Because not only have the CIA copies of millions of Americans Emails, but all the secrets of the USA Military suppliers of weapons and their contractors, may come out into public domain
as well.
I understand that the FBI have decided to actively hunt down
Edward Snowdon, and prosecute him.
This might become rather difficult, as when I was in HongKong it was under British rule, but is now under Chinese jurisdiction.
He must be a valuble man to any Foriegn Power, who cares to use his information. So dont think China, being China would admit to having him, were they asked.

The American National Security Agency is right now actively building a huge Computer data storage center somewhere in Utah.
I cant find the construction site, using World Satellite as yet, but it would eventually use Zillions of electrical power Watts, so that the power feeds and power stations could be easily traced/seen.
It is also interesting that a number of large American Company's have moved their Data bases and Head Offices into Europe over the last year....I was thinking of mentioning this shortly.
I thought it might be a result of obtaining a favourable tax breaks....But I think we all now know better, prehaps there is another whistleblower hidden undercover?

The British Prime Minister, Cameron and also the Foreign Secretary, William Hague have re-iterated that, we will never use the American 'Prism' program, since GCHQ or MI6 are not allowed by law to capture and hold personal and private persons Emails, unless a High Court Judge has been notified.

There will certainly be more information coming out tomorrows
British Papers.
Meanwhile the information the Guardian was given in HongKong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/10/european-reaction-us-surveillance-revelations

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

-------------------------------
EXTRA Added Tues; 11th June

The following information was given to the British Guardian Newspaper, by whistleblower Snowdon in Hongkong.
"The National Security Agency is currently collecting all the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April.
This unlimited authority will continue until July 16th

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

Secret Prism Program taps into users data of:- Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo, PalTalk, Skype, AOL, YouTube, and
even your files stored on, Dropbox or SkyDrive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-nsa-files

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
B
hmmm are you Paranoid Mike?

Blobby2

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Going by all the past references in criticism regarding whether an article is science related,.. this is science because....

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
but it would eventually use Zillions of electrical power Watts

unless .......... it has its own power supply that needs no fuel!

whats the big deal anyway about collecting internet information
as I see it restricting information collection from security agencies removes their capability of function.

the problem here is not that the security agencies collected information , the problem is that someone within a security agency betrayed his duty to that security agency by stealing
that collection of information.

this is just the thing that causes wars between nations , the cards are turned so that all can see who's holding what.

thankfully we still have trump cards that trump trump cards.

but its getting more and more difficult to find newer and better trump cards to use in the game.

we saw first hand what happens when security agencies capabilities are decreased on september 11 2001.

least we forget?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Mike

here's your opportunity to exhibit a degree of anti fascist
non biased behavior by showing us how you follow your own commonly imposed judicial judgement here on sagg by moving this thread to the NQS forum where you would move it if anyone else posted it.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: paul

Mike

here's your opportunity to exhibit a degree of anti fascist
non biased behavior by showing us how you follow your own commonly imposed judicial judgement here on sagg by moving this thread to the NQS forum where you would move it if anyone else posted it.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mike Kremer, replied:-

Yes Paul, I do try to be non-biased. And yes I put this item in
GoGo's 'Discussion Group', as I think it would be less acceptable under any of the other four Forum labels.
This is a lot to do with electronic communications, a very scientific subject.
Nor would I like to see any more additional Topics added, as I think it would blurr and distact much more.
Five different Topics is quite enough(in my humble opinion)

And no, Blobby2,
I am not Paranoid, but I am interested in items that force Goverments to make a decision.
Plus, I find the Psychology and the mindset of a Whistleblower quite interesting.
They must realise that Goverments and police in every country
have access to so much personal data, one wonders, at first why they bother.

Goverments and Police have access to:-
Satellite, and all Radio air bands, plus Land Telephones, Mobiles can be tracked by the TX masts they access, all Seach Engines (I mentioned in an earlier post) Plus personal Debit and Credit Cards, used in stores. They will give away your personality and characteur, as do Library Cards and Club memberships of yourself, and family. Whether you travel by train or coach, your bought ticket will give you away, (even more suspicious if you use often use Cash). As for your Emails that you send and receive. Remember that US Security bugs 3 Trillion telephone calls in a year!

Of course I realise this is the way that Goverments try to deal with Terrorist outbreaks, that is their job.
Protecting their people and themselves.
There are many people that believe that if Goverments paid more attention and tried find the causes of Terror outbreaks ...then Surveillence could be lessened, and might even come to an end?

Benjamin Franklin, said- 'Sacrificing Liberty For Security Will Gain Neither'

So inspite of the 'trail' we leave behind during our lifetime, others WILL pick it up, if they are suspicious of our intentions.

Its the Whistleblowers like Bradley Manning and now Edward Snowdon, that must become totally incensed when they come 'head on' and see the amazing amount of snooping that large Companys and Goverments are secretly holding.
In the Whistleblowers eyes, its a totally illegal thing to do, and against 99% of the poor honest populations who know nothing about it.

Irrespective of which side of the fence you purport to be on,
whistleblowing will always go on, and might even get more common in the future.

You might secretly think a Whistleblower does a 'good job'?
At least it makes every-one, become aware of an otherwise unknown situation.
Or prehaps you feel they should be imprisoned and taught a lesson?

Too great a punishment would send a message to all the other keepers of Company knowledge,
who might have an axe to grind sometime in their lives, to release the Company information they hold, more carefully.
There must be thousands of people working for Companys, who are holding sensitive material.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mike Kremer,
I am still following this Whistleblowers story.
It seems that the Chinese are hailing him as a Hero, no wonder
he is still 'holed' up in HongKong.
Seems he is only talking to the British Guardian newspaper, but answering any questions he is given.

(There have been a number of 'puter articles over here on:-
"How to Stay Web invisible" how to become "Anonymous" or
how to Encrypt your Emails to a friend")
Did'nt know us Brits: had that much to hide. Hehehe.

Meanwhile more on the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-national-security

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 06/17/13 10:12 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.