Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48735 05/26/13 02:16 AM
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
A British team is developing a car that will be capable of reaching 1,000mph (1,610km/h). Powered by a rocket bolted to a Eurofighter-Typhoon jet engine, the Bloodhound SSC (SuperSonic Car) vehicle will mount an assault on the land speed record. The vehicle will be run on Hakskeen Pan in Northern Cape, South Africa, in 2014 and 2015.

Rolls-Royce has also been giving us a huge amount of technical support. Our EJ200 jet engine, manufactured by Rolls-Royce and its EuroJet partners, was designed solely to power the Typhoon aircraft: we are the first people ever to put it in another vehicle, and it's a complex process.

The car is going to be run on the 'Hakskeen Pan track' in South Africa.
With the racing crew using the 'British Network of Earth-observation Satellites' to monitor the track surface.
The British Network of Satellites is supposed to be more accurate than the American Satellites,
as it can monitor land surface heights to better than 1 cm.

Picture of Car and Blurb,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22646346

Just a thought...Would its wheels be driven, or free running?
If free running ...would that be fair?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
First thought is, you wouldn't catch me in that thing - take that which way you like grin

I guess the wheels would have to be free running else transmission components would overheat - and that's probably fair so long as it doesn't take off grin

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I seem to recall from many years ago that, at that time, the wheels had to provide at least part of the drive force. That may have changed since then. The one I saw the story about was supposed to have a paddle wheel or something of the sort that transferred some of the energy from the jet exhaust to the wheels.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill

Bill Gill said-
I seem to recall from many years ago that, at that time, the wheels had to provide at least part of the drive force. That may have changed since then. .........>

Bill Gill

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mike Kremers reply to Bill Gill-

Absolutely right Bill, before racing jet cars came about, all the old real racing cars with their V12 long engines, raced across the sand beaches or the Salt flats, using their driving wheels.
I dont consider a real racing car, a Jet that hovers a few inches above the ground, at speeds of 600mph plus....using its non-driven wheels as sort of ski's, just to stabilize the car keeping some sort of contact with the ground, so it can still called a car.
The wheels may turn thru ground friction, but do not reflect
the true speed of the car, since they are not the driving force.

Originally Posted By: Bill Gill

Bill Gill said-
The one I saw the story about was supposed to have a paddle wheel or something of the sort that transferred some of the energy from the jet exhaust to the wheels.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

I dont think there would be any problem taking off a direct wheel drive from the rotating part of the jet, Bill.
What (to my mind) would be the problem is the engineering design compromise between the diameter of the wheels, (say 3-4ft D?) and the cetrifugal forces involved driving the wheels to run at speeds of 600mph and above.
Also the the axel design involved to insure the car is kept a few inches above the ground, keeping all 4 wheels in contact with the ground.
A car that dangerously hovers, is not a car (in my view).
Yet it would need to have a large enough diameter wheels, cutting down the rotational speeds to ensure the hubs stays within safe heat limits.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

1000 mph , wouldn't that set up a shock wave that travels
in front of the vehicle?

the shock wave kicking up sand or whatever is loose on the surface.

the nose of the craft looks as if it would channel any kicked up
material directly into the intake of the jet engine.

maybe they have filters.

after the shock wave set's up will it have enough air traveling over the vehicle surface area pushing down on the vehicle
to hold the vehicle on the ground?

ie , keep it from launching!

I wish them luck , but I hope they have planned an unmanned mission first.

1000 mph = mach 1.314

heres a video of the nose of a test vehicle in a wind tunnel
at mach 0.8 to mach 1.1

you can clearly see the bow wave forming in front of the test vehicle.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
[Quote=Mike Kremer]

You are right about the Shock Wave, Paul
This car certainly looks as though it has the dynamics of a Jet plane.
BUT...and heres thing- I have just read on WIKI that the
"The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)" is the Governing body of ALL motor racing from Go Karts, to Formula I,
and Land Speed Record Attempts.

Here they have stated that ALL four wheels must be driven.
But that did not seem to stop the American, Craig Breedlove, in his Jet Car 'Spirit of America' from taking the speed record from Donald Cambell years ago.

I dont seem to be able to find out as to whether all four wheels STILL need to be driven.

FROM WIKI
>To make matters worse for Campbell, American Craig Breedlove drove his pure thrust jet car ‘Spirit of America’ to a speed of 407.45 miles per hour (655.73 km/h) at Bonneville in July 1963. Although the ‘car’ did not conform to FIA (Federation Internationale de L’Automobile) regulations, that stipulated it had to be wheel-driven and have a minimum of four wheels, but in the eyes of the world, Breedlove was now the fastest man on earth.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Campbell#Land_Speed_Record_Attempt

INTERESTING
Or Lookup the governing body FIA, on WIKI?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Latest Update on 1000mph landspeed record

The UK team building a car capable of driving beyond 1,000mph (1,610km/h) says the project is taking longer than anticipated to pull together.

6.4 Tons to reach 1000Mph in 42. seconds (below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23184687

Mostly about Wheels (below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23032461

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.