Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Phys.Org:The Velkess Flywheel: A more flexible energy storage technology
This new flywheel energy storage system uses inexpensive fiberglass in the flywheel instead of carbon fiber. That reduces the cost enormously. The current prototype handles about 2 KW of power. They are working on increasing it to be able to handle 25 KW, so that it can be used as an off-grid backup. There are some technical issues. It spins at extremely high speeds and uses very strong magnetic bearings. They hope to be able to get it working before very long.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
F
Fred Vreeman
Unregistered
Fred Vreeman
Unregistered
F
Seems like a really great concept. I did a little more research and found they have a well thought out technical plan - basically re-thinking some older technologies in a new way. The motor generator is electrostatic, and the whole system is double gimballed and self stabilizing without active electromagnetic controls. If it works, it is basically a whole new way of looking at high speed energy storage flywheels.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Fred Vreeman
Seems like a really great concept. I did a little more research and found they have a well thought out technical plan - ...............................> If it works, it is basically a whole new way of looking at high speed energy storage flywheels.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mike Kremer says ..the only thing thats well thought out is the fact that they believe they have a very much cheaper method to produce a storage Flywheel.
Unfortunately Glass Fibre will have too many technical issues when its incorporated into a plastic Flywheel.
If using E-glass woven material, the difficulties of ensuring each fibre is wetted out, and free of all air bubbles before curing, is a virtual impossibility. Laying and cutting the woven material for a perfect balance at speed will be equally difficult.
Manufacturing a plastic Flywheel using E-Glass Rovings that spiral out from the center of the Flywheel, would be more sensible for ease of manufacture, regarding void free, and wetting out problems.
I dont hold out any success for the manufacture of a conventional 'Wheel' type Flywheel, as recognised.
A long tubular type of flywheel, would ensure the outer circumference is much closer to its shaft, ensuring greater safety against its dangerous breakup and disintegration at high speed. (More resin more rovings more cost)

Since you are talking about energy storage systems.
What exactly are you storing for? to help a car engine/vehicle
move along? Or battery replacement, to drive a generator,
for lighting or power?
You will need to power and drive up - the speed of your Flywheel to ensure it can produce work...But you are not going to do that with an Electrostatic drive motor.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
Since you are talking about energy storage systems.
What exactly are you storing for? to help a car engine/vehicle
move along? Or battery replacement, to drive a generator,
for lighting or power?

According to the article they are planning to store power for off-grid uses, whatever that is. Since they mentioned 25 KW as the goal for the next iteration I assumed that it would be back up for such things as homes. 25KW would be adequate for most homes.

I did a little more research on the system. All I could find was the site of the company that is trying to raise money to develop the system and a bunch of references to their information. There was nothing that commented on the feasibility of the system. Their site did say that they were planning to scale up to 250,000 KWh, which would be good for load leveling on wind or solar generation. Well, I just went back to find the reference to 250,000 KWh on their site, but I can't find it. I remember it being there, so you may just have to take my word for it. However, I didn't really see any thing about just how it would work. They did a lot of what looked to me like hand waving and said it was wonderful. They are talking about doing it with a flexible rotor, whatever that might be. They showed a doughnut shaped rotor rather than a solid rotor. I don't know if that would help, but they claimed that it is inherently stable and requires no special stabilization systems.

Basically I think I will skip any investment in the system. I'm not really impressed with their presentation.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.