Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Pre, I'm posting this question here rather than in "Global Tectonics" as it is specific to your theory.

Do studies of the Rh-Os isotope ratios in “post impact” oceanic crust fit a pattern that would be indicative of extraterrestrial impact?

I really don't know.

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I really don't know.

It might be worth finding out. I believe Rh-Os ratios can be diagnostic. It would certainly strengthen your case if they were compatible with extraterrestrial impact.

There never was nothing.
P
OP Offline
P
Anyway, why was the thread with the photos of Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush (wearing Jewish skullcaps and practicing Jewish religious ceremonies) deleted?
Probably for the same reason that this thread was moved to page two of the thread listings (i.e., was hidden).

I recently came across a photo of Bill Clinton wearing a Jew skullcap at some Jewish religious ceremony, or other.

This and the photos of Barack Obama and George W. Bush wearing Jewish skullcaps (and practicing Jewish religious ceremonies),....

Hmmm; Seems to be a trend developing. What do you think Bill?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Last May you posted:

Originally Posted By: Pre
Anyway, why was the thread with the photos of Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush (wearing Jewish skullcaps and practicing Jewish religious ceremonies) deleted?

I pointed out that I had not said that.

Now you post:

Probably for the same reason that this thread was moved to page two of the thread listings (i.e., was hidden).

Should one charitably infer a degree of dementia?

What do you think Bill?

If you are asking me (Bill S) I would point out that I lack interest in the religious practices, or headwear, of America's Presidents, and fail to see what relevance these things have to the subject matter of this thread.

There never was nothing.
P
OP Offline
P
If you are asking me (Bill S) I would point out that I lack interest in the religious practices, or headwear, of America's Presidents, and...

Bill. I understand that you are a Jew, but you might consider that some may be interested in the religious practices, and headwear, of America's Presidents.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Bill. I understand that you are a Jew....

Should I say: "it takes one to know one"?

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
" the religious practices, and headwear, of America's Presidents."

This is not an appropriate topic for a science forum. Please refrain from this sort of discussion or face the consequences.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Hi Rose. I was going to say thanks for the timely shot across the bows, but I’m not sure how timely it is as far as I am concerned. The fact is that I was already reviewing my position in relation to SAGG.

I started by thinking about the interests that lead me to join in the first place. They included cosmology, time & the possibility of time travel, relativity, QM, the multiverse, geology and lots of other things. Oh! I almost forgot infinity. smile

Then I reviewed my recent posting record. Apart from trying to extract a discussion about plate tectonics from threads that had degenerated into slanging matches, which earned me a warning email because this was seen as antagonising Preearth, I have been doing things like gently stirring Paul on political issues, because I know he will rise to the bait, being drawn into exchanges about gays and, perhaps worst of all, swapping idiocies with Preearth, because even I have given up any hope of getting sensible answers from him.

In the past I have told others I believed they were “capable of better”. Perhaps it is time to apply the same belief to myself.

I am capable of better, and if SAGG no longer provides scope for that, it may be time to move on.

I have enjoyed (most of) my time with SAGG, especially those times when it was possible to combine sensible discussion with a little humour. I would be sorry to leave, but at the moment, I feel inclined to say I will stay until the end of this month; things can change, for the better as well as for the worse.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Bill S:
You have been quite the stabilizing influence and I would hate to see you go. I appreciate your humor and your wit. I find discussions that are way off topic to be tedious and not worthy of the forum. There is nothing further off topic than a discussion of presidential headwear or accusations of covert religious affiliation. That warning was not intended to hit you personally. I meant it for all the participants in the thread. I felt the topic was getting out of hand, and we do not need to inject politics into the science forum. If Pre wants to defame someone's character, let him do it somewhere else. It cheapens the science forum to have such discussions in it.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
" the religious practices, and headwear, of America's Presidents."

This is not an appropriate topic for a science forum. Please refrain from this sort of discussion or face the consequences.

But whole threads on religion are appropriate?

Amaranth Rose with the rose-colored glasses.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Orac
Relativity is a hell of a lot more than E=MC2 and lorentz transformations.

Actually, you're wrong; (Special) relativity is nothing more than the Lorentz transformations and their consequences.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: preearth
Originally Posted By: Orac
Relativity is a hell of a lot more than E=MC2 and lorentz transformations.

Actually, you're wrong; (Special) relativity is nothing more than the Lorentz transformations and their consequences.

You do know this? Right?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
P
OP Offline
P
Orac,... you do at least know that (special) relativity is nothing more than the Lorentz transformations and their consequences? Or don't you even know the basics of relativity?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
You're right the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction was developed by Lorentz and Fitzgerald. That's why it's called the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction. They did it on an ad-hoc basis to try to explain the results of the Michelson Morley experiment. They had no theoretical basis for the contraction. Einstein developed the same equations from theoretical considerations, thus giving them a sound basis, rather than the magical phrase "do this and you will get the right results", which is essentially what Lorentz and Fitzgerald did.

And that's all I have to say in this thread, or any of pre's threads.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There is little point in linking to this article in New Scientist, 6th July 2013, as it is available only to subscribers. As a non-subscriber I have to type any quotes, so they will be short.

However, this is one for Pre.

On the subject of giant impacts:

“Instead of a Mars sized impactor, one with just half the mass could have hit the Earth at a steeper angle, burying itself deep inside our world.”

Robin Canup proposes a different sort of giant impact: “She envisages two planets, each about half the size of Earth, colliding slowly. In the ensuing coalescence that gave birth to our planet, the moon was formed from the leftovers,.......”

There never was nothing.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.