Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Researchers have discovered a new strain of bacteria on the skin that may explain why some people get zits and others don't.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-people-zits-others-dont-145013019.html

This could lead to a bacteria-based treatment for zits. Replace the bad bacteria with the good bacteria. It could work.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Is ZIT the official scientific term?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
is ZIT the official scientific term?

I think acne vulgaris is more like the scientific term, but Bryan may well correct me on that.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Zit is the generic term for a small pustule or papule - which we see in acne, and commonly refer to as pinheads and pimples. So it's a sign of acne, not a name of the disease itself.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
I
I
'acne vulgaris' is the correct term, although no MD's I know say more than 'acne'.

I'm somewhat dubious about the applicability of the research. This is a pro-biotic treatment - there are several experts here in the field, so I've seen a lot of the troubles they face.

The biggest issue with probiotics is that you usually need to wipeout the existing bacteria to get permanent colonization by the probiotic strain - i.e. give the patient a massive antibiotic treatment, followed by massive dosing of the probiotic bacteria. This is not safe - these kinds of antibiotic treatments make you suceptable to things like c. difficile - far to serious a threat for a cosmetic treatment.

You might see a temporary relief with regular application - at least transiently. However, infrequent exposure to a probiotic (plus whatever compound(s) it makes) is a sure-fire way to evolve resistant strains of the acne-causing bacteria on your skin...

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.