Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48113 02/25/13 11:58 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
if you loose power and you have a battery operated laptop
or cell phone and you want to find out the weather information you can browse to this web address for your areas weather information.

http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio/smallplayer.html?stationid=STILLWATERTOWNIE|648|2986

here is a list of stations

http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio

good luck

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #48122 02/26/13 03:00 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Those can be handy links. I personally use NOAA on my computer. In the upper left corner you will see a search box that will give you the weather for your home town. Otherwise I have a physical weather radio that carries weather watches and warnings, with an alarm in case of bad weather. All are good ways to keep up.

I have my browser home page set to look at the local weather radar from NOAA. That way I get a quick look every time I open the browser.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #48123 02/26/13 03:12 AM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I must admit when I saw the videos of the snow in OK
I became a little concerned , but your an old hard ass so
I suppose it would take a lot more than a few feet of snow
to do you in.

how many bags of beans have you got tucked away?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #48141 02/26/13 06:42 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul
I must admit when I saw the videos of the snow in OK
I became a little concerned , but your an old hard ass so
I suppose it would take a lot more than a few feet of snow
to do you in.

how many bags of beans have you got tucked away?

And what does this have to do with my response to your original post? I was just pointing out that there is one more option.

And I will now quit feeding this troll.

Bill Gill

paul #48144 02/26/13 07:36 PM
I
I
Maybe he's trying to up his post count?

...wait, did I just do that? shocked

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
paul #48145 02/26/13 09:06 PM
N
N
Originally Posted By: paul
if you loose power...

I pictured some sorta Nikola Tesla super villain shooting electricity from his fingers.

Another good way to stay up to date with the weather is to take a look outside.

If you want to get very technical, they have this new device that is extremely accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_rock

Laziness breeds innovation
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Neohippy
If you want to get very technical, they have this new device that is extremely accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_rock

Yea, but who wants some clunky mechanical thing like that when you can have a super-duper high technology gadget that works almost as good.

Bill Gill

Bill #48148 02/26/13 10:29 PM
N
N
Originally Posted By: Bill

Yea, but who wants some clunky mechanical thing like that when you can have a super-duper high technology gadget that works almost as good.

Bill Gill

This is true. Something I deal with daily. Working in the tech industry build amps for accelerators and other high tech gizmos, while I tool around in a 30 year old truck, sporting a flip phone that can't receive most data from them new fangled touch screen doohickies.
I like collecting 100 year old blow torches, model steam engines, and the like. I enjoy things from a time when they were built to last, not built to be thrown away and replaced in a year or two.

Red Green once did a write up in one of his books about building a weather station from crappy Christmas gifts. It was a joke, but still brilliant in it's own right.

I'd trust a good solid rock to do it's job over any technology... period. Less parts = more reliability. Plus, I was a boy once; a stick and a rock was all you needed to wage war against everything from hostile aliens, to cootie ridden girls.

Laziness breeds innovation
Bill #48162 02/27/13 07:10 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I guess I was concerned for you and your family because
you live in Oklahoma.

the videos were saying the roads were closing.

that's why I asked about the beans ( stored food )

BTW , your reply lends support to my use of the descriptive
term ( hard ass ) also.

paul #48163 02/27/13 08:19 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I thank you for your concern. Fortunately here in Tulsa we didn't have all of that snow. Our official snow fall was less than a half an inch. The heavy snow was in Western Oklahoma and on into the Texas Panhandle. They did have heavy snow and problems out there. There was a story on TV about a couple who headed out on I-40 to go to New Mexico to ski. They were trapped on the interstate just this side of Amarillo for 17 hours before help finally got to them. I'm not sure if they were still up for playing in the snow after they got out.

Tulsa has had heavy snow. 2 years ago the whole city was paralyzed for almost a week when we had so much snow that they just couldn't get it moved out. Our street department has snow plows and salt spreaders, but the snow was too deep for them to do much good. It took 3 days before the neighbors across the street came out and worked their way up to the corner by shoveling and wallowing their pickup around. That took them about 3/4 of an hour. After that everybody got out and shoveled their drives and finally started getting out. I was extremely popular right then. I was the only one who had snow shovel. I loaned it to everybody up and down the street.

Bill Gill

paul #48170 02/28/13 01:47 AM
Superstar
Superstar
Bill G, you should've charged rent on that snow shovel. You could have earned, enough to get another one and charged rent for that one too. You could've been a real entrepreneurial snow Baron.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.