Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
An article on Phys.Org Phys.Org:The nuclear reactor in your basement is about a theoretical way to achieve low temperature nuclear energy. It isn't cold fusion, it works by inducing the nucleus of a metallic atom in a lattice filled with hydrogen to absorb an ionized hydrogen nucleus which becomes a low speed neutron. The metal atom then fissions releasing an electron and becoming the next metal down. The metal used as an example in the article is nickel, and it becomes copper.

I'm slightly skeptical about the theory, but it is being written up by a scientist at NASA Langley, so there is at least a little credibility to the idea. It takes an electromagnetic signal in a specific frequency range which right now we don't have a good way to generate. That means that we don't have a way to test the theory until they can figure out how to get the signal. Even if it works then we are still a long ways from having installed systems. Getting a test working doesn't immediately translate into a fully working system.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
N
N
This is like that chap doing the 'e-cat' generators. Claims it's like cold fusion, and charges $1.5 million for a 1 mega watt plant or some such thing.
http://ecat.com/

Fascinating, but like you, not sure if I believe without seeing. The theories are beyond my brain mush's ability to comprehend.

Laziness breeds innovation
I
I
To my (limited) knowledge, the process seems plausible. The only question is if the low-energy neutrons + metal hydride can be generated using less energy than is recovered from the interactions. Over the years there have been a number of low-energy nuclear processes demonstrated. They work - the issue is making them work for less energy than they produce.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
the e-cat is interesting , I would like to have one.

maybe they will produce a home boiler that can be used to
heat water and your home via heat exchangers.

note: this would help the future residents of the planet to
survive during the upcoming ice age that we are already in.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
#48076 02/22/13 06:28 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
In short, the ECAT produces the energy by fusing Nickel with Hydrogen to produce Copper. This reaction is exothermic, which means that it produces excess energy. The energy content of the Copper is less than the energy content in Nickel and Hydrogen alone – and the excess energy is in this case being released as heat energy.
The current design of the reactor is a small rectangular plate 20cm x 20cm with a thickness of about 4cm (external dimensions of reactor). The fuel, Nickel of very fine granularity + Hydrogen + catalyst, is placed in a thin layer at the center of the reactor core. The reactor is located at the bottom of a steel box (the outer hull of the E-Cat is currently at a size that can easily fit on a small table) and directly attached to the reactor is cooling elements in the form of wings. These wings are crucial as they transmit the heat generated in the reactor to the surrounding water.
There is a cold water inlet into the steel box and a warm water outlet. As the cold water flows past the reactor, the cooling elements will heat it up and the flux of the water (e.g. liters/h) dictates the difference between in and out temperature. In this way hot water or steam can be produced.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.