Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4795 11/28/05 10:45 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I doubt anyone can really help me with this, I was just musing. I, like most people, occasionally notice "floaties", small, out of focus hair-like objects, when looking at a white background and focusing correctly. These are I believe the shadows of bits of dead matter within the vitreous humor, floating down inside the eye (I can observe them slowly moving downwards when I keep my eyes still). They are clearly inside the eye because when I move my eyes, the floaties remain in the same place in my visual field. But I noticed, when looking at these floaties, that when I move my eyes to look slightly upwards, the floaties appear to take a little extra longer to move up to their new position. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why - I can only imagine it's either a physical reason, i.e. the inertia of the fluid in the eyes means the floaties move slower than my vision, or else a perceptual reason i.e. the unusual way the floaties move with vision causes an illusion as a result of us noticing them moving upwards, expecting them to continue as it's a rapid motion, and then the floaties appearing to move downwards when they stop because they appear to "decelerate".

#4796 11/28/05 04:34 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
www.google.com

Search criterion: "floating inside the eye"

with the quotation marks.

DA Morgan
#4797 11/29/05 11:26 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
As DA advises look it up.

I have so many "floaties" in my eyes I had a consultation to see if they could be removed.
Answer: "possibly but not recomended"
jw

#4798 11/30/05 12:49 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Dead cells?, also a possible indication of high
blood pressure. Everyone has a few, but they are natural and do no harm as long as they do not interfere with normal vision.
You can get more as you get older.
You can best see them, if you close your eyes in sunlight

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#4799 11/30/05 06:42 PM
I never had high blood pressure but, in my case at least, atmospheric pressure seemed to give me a few.

Once while backpacking in Kings Canyon, I went from the valley floor up a remarkably steep trail, and gained about 3,000 feet elevation in a few hours. I noticed "floaters" in my left eye that had never been there before by the next day. They lasted for close to a decade.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#4800 11/30/05 10:43 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
soilguy ... see a competent optometrist: One with an MD. You likely have a medical problem.

DA Morgan
#4801 12/01/05 04:10 PM
Well, that happened in 1982. I've heard and read about similar experiences from other backpackers and climbers.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#4802 12/01/05 06:07 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Did you hear that they lasted for close to 10 years too? I doubt it. Get medical attention.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.