Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Physics paper:
Entropy: A concept that is not a physical quantity Published in (SCI-E Journal) PHYSICS ESSAYS (Volume 25, Issue 2 (June 2012)).

PHYSICS ESSAYS is SCI-E Journal.
URL: http://physicsessays.org/toc/phes/25/2.

Download this paper here:
http://blog.sciencenet.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=543672&do=blog&id=601593

OR
http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-543672-592073.html

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I don't think that is exactly ground breaking news

Quote:

I thought of calling it 'information', but the word was overly used, so I decided to call it 'uncertainty'. [...] Von Neumann told me, 'You should call it entropy, for two reasons. In the first place your uncertainty function has been used in statistical mechanics under that name, so it already has a name. In the second place, and more important, nobody knows what entropy really is, so in a debate you will always have the advantage.'

Conversation between Claude Shannon and John von Neumann regarding what name to give to the or attenuation in phone-line signals.

Now if you had told me that you had worked out what Entropy was I might have got excited.

I should also say that under Quantum Mechanics there are far more compelling reasons why Entropy can't be something real.

- You can show Entropy is a unitary invariant.

Where was the last "real" thing you ever saw that was unitary invariant.

- Entropy can only go to zero if and only if you a pure state

Where was the last "real" thing you ever saw that could only be found to be not there if you provide a specific state.

Last edited by Orac; 09/02/12 09:09 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Where was the last "real" thing you ever saw that could only be found to be not there if you provide a specific state.

Wouldn't that be anything? I am here; I could only not be here if someone/something (probably myself) provided a specific state of my not being here. smile

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Keep that up and I am willing to provide the "you not being here state" grin

As Clint may say "go ahead make my day".

Last edited by Orac; 09/03/12 03:44 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Or, as Bernard might have said: "I only arsked".

There never was nothing.
S
S
Entropy is an extensive thermodynamic property that is the measure of a system's thermal energy per unit temperature that is unavailable for doing useful work. It is well discussed in the following document

http://us.docsity.com/en-docs/Entropy_and_Temperature__Lecture_Notes_-_Physics

Superstar
Superstar
Your link seems to require a registration before being able to read the whole document. Do you have an alternative link for this information?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.