Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Neohippy- I have to tell you that today, as you are probably FREEZING in Alberta our temperature is predicted to be 41c. It is supposed to be over 50c in some inland areas of the country. Headlines this morning were screaming that it will be Australia's hottest ever day! Hyperbole I hope!

Which is worse? Your winter or our summer?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Smolin's Second Law

In every period and every community there is something that everybody believes, but cannot justify. If you want to understand anything, you have to start by ignoring what everyone believes, and thinking for yourself.

Lee Smolin.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I was unsure as to whether I should post this here or in an "evolution" thread. Either way, it looks like one for Paul. smile

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/jan-feb/42-the-myth-of-choosy-women-promiscuous-men#.UOYZnnf9Gtx

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Qi Bill S, but what is the article saying? That female fruit flies are a bit stand-offish but the guys aren't?

Until recently, for women, every sexual encounter could lead to pregnancy, so no matter how enjoyable the deed may seem the prospect of 9 months of less than optimum health, and the actual possibility of dying in the act of giving birth to a ninth child they could ill-afford to rear tended to take the gloss off the whole thing.

This has not often been researched, most research seems to concentrate on men's desire to propagate well after the use-by date. Though I have to admit that women (like the lady fruit-flies) recently are catching up in this area.

I am often fascinated by the way researchers leap happily from fruit-flies, mice etc to human behaviour.

I sound very grumpy--- blame the heat.

Last edited by Ellis; 01/04/13 12:21 AM.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Neohippy- I have to tell you that today, as you are probably FREEZING in Alberta our temperature is predicted to be 41c. It is supposed to be over 50c in some inland areas of the country. Headlines this morning were screaming that it will be Australia's hottest ever day! Hyperbole I hope!

Yikes! 41C That's 105F here in the US. We do that in the summer, but it is considered to be really hot. 50C (122F) is hot any where.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
N
N

We just started to warm up actually. We were at -30C for a couple weeks. Warmed up to -10C, freaking shorts weather!

Our summers here usually only max out at maybe 34C, but our winters bottom out at around -45C to about -60C (rare).

Winters are easier for me to handle, as you can always add layers and move around to stay warm, but in summer, you can only remove so many clothes before you are naked, hot, and sweaty.

Laziness breeds innovation
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Well Neohippy, that just shows how wrong you can be. I much prefer warm, even hot, weather. Now I admit you need at least a little technology, but I can endure hot weather much better. When the weather is hot I can wear shorts and a T-shirt and sit around doing nothing. Assuming the humidity is reasonable I can then turn on a fan and drink plenty of water. That may not be just the very best condition, but it sure beats freezing to death. In cold weather the only way to stay warm is to put on enough clothes that you can barely move. Any way we originally evolved in Africa where we grew up used to hot weather, not cold.

Bill Gill

N
N
Originally Posted By: Bill
Well Neohippy, that just shows how wrong you can be. I much prefer warm, even hot, weather. Now I admit you need at least a little technology, but I can endure hot weather much better. When the weather is hot I can wear shorts and a T-shirt and sit around doing nothing. Assuming the humidity is reasonable I can then turn on a fan and drink plenty of water. That may not be just the very best condition, but it sure beats freezing to death. In cold weather the only way to stay warm is to put on enough clothes that you can barely move. Any way we originally evolved in Africa where we grew up used to hot weather, not cold.

Bill Gill

Wrong? Jeeze, you sound like every Canadian that has driven a car since the age of 14 (my wife says the same stuff as you).

I was a walker up until I was 25. Usually 6-10km to and from work and school. Winter was always better, as you can make good time without over heating. Most of the time, you didn't even need a jacket unless it was less than -20C, or you weren't walking fast enough.

Surviving in the cold climates takes a bit of critical thinking (see? sorta on topic!). I, for one, use a Canadian military surplus winter jacket. Dirt cheap, highly mobile, weather and water resistant, and keeps you toasty warm, even in -40C.

Hell, I've even gone camping in -20C with nothing but a 8C tent, and that jacket.

I kid you not, but my 1986 Grand Marquis (daily driver land yacht) starts better in -20C than it does in +20C.

If it's made in Canada, it just seems to work better in the cold, and I was made in Canada.

All in all, both summer and winter are kinda extreme around here (sometimes the temp will range 90C over the year, or even 40C in a day!) but our short lived spring and autumns, now those are breath taking. I love having the rockies a short drive away, nothin' purdier than ice capped mountains in the autumn.

On that note, I work with an Iranian guy who moved here some 15 years ago, he wears short sleeves even on the coldest days, no jacket at all.
Some just handle the temps better than others.

Laziness breeds innovation
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The temperature finally stopped at 42c! Bill S, you may be interested to know that the pug was NOT happy! We both huddled in the a/c!

The difficult part of our weather here at this time of the year is that today is predicted to reach 25c--- which is lovely, but the constant swinging from hot to cool is very enervating. It is not usually very humid here, but my garden looks as though someone has blow-torched it!

Tasmania, which had the country's first snow on Jan 2nd, is doing badly though. Yesterday Hobart was 41c which was the hottest ever recorded. There were huge fires which isolated people in the tourist area of Port Arthur. More than a 1000 were rescued by boat, still more were evacuated this morning. 80 houses have burned down and one man has been killed.

As for heat or cold. I think both have their horrors, but I think heat can kill very quickly in many different ways. Personally I'd rather be too cold than too hot, but I've never experienced -20c!

Last edited by Ellis; 01/04/13 10:36 PM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I like these , in fact I love these.
If Im not walking , in the sub temps my toes get numb.
wearing these in sub temps will actually make your feet sweat.
in norway it was -25 below and my feet were soaked.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
What are they made of Paul? Obviously not leather. More like lace-up gum boots!
They look as though they would keep feet warm but wouldn't water get through the laces if it snowed. They look very practical, even if they are not very stylish! :-)

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
They look as though they would keep feet warm but wouldn't water get through the laces if it snowed.

Look at the picture carefully. You can see that the tongue is not separated from the ankle. So that will keep the water/snow from leaking through until it gets above the top of the boot.

Bill Gill

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
AAAAH! CLEVER!!!

However, maybe, I was not thinking critically, evaluating the established facts and coming to a logical conclusion!

Last edited by Ellis; 01/05/13 11:29 PM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
they are made of rubber.

bata military extreme weather gear.

they are nicknamed Mickey Mouse Boots
because they make your feet look so large.

gloves are a different story , especially when you need to
have a finger or two exposed to the cold.

these mittens are really nice but you have to remove them
when your doing things.

this stuff can also help but its real messy.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.