Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
Originally Posted By: paul
[quote]
[1:26] Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."

'Our' image? I never noticed that one before. Does god ever decree it's the only god? Or one among many?

C'mon Norse and Greek god battle royale! It'd be like Avengers versus Justice League. Like Terry Cruz versus Dwayne Johnson!

I'd pay money for that.

Laziness breeds innovation
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Moses , wrote Genesis.

I'm going to say that if Moses would have been inspired to
fully describe everything that occurred during the first 6
Days then the Book of Genesis would be as large as all the books
in the national archive rolled up into one.

because in order for anyone to understand the Book they would first
need to understand all knowledge , we don't even understand all
knowledge today.

So the First 6 Days in Genesis is a summary of the work that
God did in the 6 Days.

Quote:
That is it just represents the true story with a nice lie. So that means that none of it is just as written.

a lie?

I suppose that you are trying to say that the summary is deceiving.

I don't see it that way , I think that Moses did a very good job
of summarizing the First 6 Day's.

he begins with what God made

Quote:
[1:1] In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth,

Quote:
[1:2] the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.

there was darkness everywhere else in the deep ( the void )

this is when God filled the void which we call the universe.
a wind from God. ( the power emanating from God )
then he brought the power together to form Light.

Quote:
[1:3] Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

God Filled the void with Light.
you call it the big bang , God called it Light.
it filled the void.

now the heavens have been created and the earth has been created.

through His Work.

the surface of the earth was covered with water.

this is because the earth was very hot.

as the earth cooled most of the water soaked into the earth causing the dry land to appear.

Quote:
[1:6] And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
[1:7] So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
[1:8] God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
[1:9] And God said, "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear." And it was so.
[1:10] God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

this Day is not yet complete as God then say's

Quote:
[1:11] Then God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it." And it was so.
[1:12] The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good.
[1:13] And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.

you call this evolution , it clearly states

Quote:
Let the earth put forth

This means that when God Created he gave the Earth the ability
to put fourth LIFE.

you say it is evolution , and evolution claims that creation
is impossible , but what you call evolution was Creation.

Quote:
That is he started with a void i.e. nothing, and created everything from it via the big bang. Then when there had been time in our way of counting time he kicked off evolution to bring us life as we know it.

I suppose I could agree with most of that.

Quote:
So you do believe in evolution after all.

I don't believe in evolution , I believe in Creation , as it is summarized in Genesis.

what you call evolution is Creation.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
N
N

I don't believe in evolution , I believe in Creation , as it is summarized in Genesis.

Ok... Math time.

Evolution = Creationism.

Evolution(Not believing in it) = Creationism(Not believing in it)
So, 1=1!

So you don't believe in anything? Agnostic? By your logic, you either believe in both (which is contradictory) or you believe in neither, denouncing your god, and science, in one broad word twisting swipe.

Yes, this is a troll post, but still, the contradictions were too much to resist.

I think evolution is correct. But I don't believe in creationism or big bang. Everyone to their own I guess.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
'Our' image? I never noticed that one before. Does god ever decree it's the only god? Or one among many?

I'm going to guess that God was speaking with his family.

Originally Posted By: Genesis
[6:1] When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them,
[6:2] the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose.
[6:3] Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred twenty years."

Quote:
C'mon Norse and Greek god battle royale! It'd be like Avengers versus Justice League. Like Terry Cruz versus Dwayne Johnson!

[6:4] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterward - when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
N
N

[6:4] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterward - when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.

Yeah, this was all covered in Diablo 3 by blizzard entertainment.

They have a very compelling way of delivering biblical based fantasy. Same old stories, told in such a way as to appeal to the modern masses. One could say... the stories 'evolved' to be more palatable than a 200 year old notion of 'the greatest story ever told'.
Old testament, that's where it's at. Violence, gore, sex, corruption, vengeance, wrath of god... I'd watch that movie.

Coming July 2013... One man... a world of heathens... He must bring the word of his god, or all is lost.

Jason Statham is:

MOSES!

Rated R for gratuitous mass slaughter of humans by an imaginary sky friend.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:

Quote:
So you don't believe in anything? Agnostic? By your logic, you either believe in both (which is contradictory) or you believe in neither, denouncing your god, and science, in one broad word twisting swipe.

instead of telling me what I believe , you should say that you think
or believe that I think or believe the way that you think or
believe that I think or believe.

I believe in Creation , evolution deny's Creation
which removes evolution's foundation , evolution has no solid ground to stand on without Creation.

the words Creation and evolution stand for 2 separate processes.

Creation includes both processes as clearly stated in Genesis.

evolution on the other hand deny's creation
which does not allow for its being.

so it is not.

evolution is like the top floor of a skyscraper claiming it
does not require all the floor's underneath it that support it.

needless to say that arrogant self supporting floor on top
will come crashing down.

unless it get's some support.

N
N
Evolution does not deny creationism. It denies genesis as it is written. Maybe if genesis was written:

And god created bio goo, and it was good.
The bio goo then took one god day to form as it would, creating life as it would come to know itself. And it was ok... until the nutters came about.
Then god was sad, 'cause it realized man was kinda dumb.
And on the seventh god day, god rested, because he was sick and tired of man bitching and complaining that other men did not believe the same things.
Then some dude wrote this book, and god threw up it's mighty arms and said: "F*#$ it. You're on your own."

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
But you only have 1 more day !

this is December the Twentieth , tomorrow is the Twenty First.

hopefully we will be given more time to watch the movie , or is
it a game?

either way , I will either watch it , or play it , to see what's
in it.

so it's a movie.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/steven-spielberg-moses-movie-gods-and-kings-warner-bros/

sounds good.

thank's

might I also add , it's about time.

here's the older version of the movie Moses.

1-23

N
N
But you only have 1 more day !

this is December the Twentieth , tomorrow is the Twenty First.

hopefully we will be given more time to watch the movie

This is the 15th cycle of the Mayan calender, so I'd think we'd have time.

Plus the Julian and Gregorian calenders weren't taken into account, so I'd say the dates are a wee bit off.

It's 2012, not because of Jesus, but Julius Caesar. He eventually adopted the 4 year leap year cycle after his failed extra month every 2 year calender that he instituted in 46BC. By 1582 though, the Julian calender was 11 days off, so pope Gregory changed it up. Now there are only 97 leap years in a 400 year cycle, instead of Julius's 100 every 400 years.

Documented history is fun.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:

Plus the Julian and Gregorian calenders weren't taken into account, so I'd say the dates are a wee bit off.

It's 2012, not because of Jesus, but Julius Caesar. He eventually adopted the 4 year leap year cycle after his failed extra month every 2 year calender that he instituted in 46BC. By 1582 though, the Julian calender was 11 days off, so pope Gregory changed it up. Now there are only 97 leap years in a 400 year cycle, instead of Julius's 100 every 400 years.

I don't believe all that stuff.

but I will give you credit for looking it all up.

as if it meant something.

you still only have 1 day , because the media say's so.

Quote:
It's 2012, not because of Jesus, but Julius Caesar

when we write a date we use either AD or BC

in your opinion what do the two above represent?

is it after the death of caesar AD and before caesar BC?

the Jewish Calendar says this year is 5773

2012-2013

N
N
Quote:

I don't believe all that stuff.

but I will give you credit for looking it all up.

as if it meant something.

you still only have 1 day , because the media say's so.

Quote:
It's 2012, not because of Jesus, but Julius Caesar

when we write a date we use either AD or BC

in your opinion what do the two above represent?

is it after the death of caesar AD and before caesar BC?

the Jewish Calendar says this year is 5773

2012-2013

Considering BC, and AD, were not adopted until the early 6th century, they can mean whatever you want. More common nowadays (and I always forget) is BCE and ACE.

AD does not stand for anything death related anyways. Latin. Anno domini. Year of our lord. So in 523(AD) or so, they wrote up this fantasy novel (or stole stories for it, like Horace... aka Jesus), called it the bible, and then claimed we have been counting the years since some carpenter's birth in a barn, that was undocumented, and over half a millennium prior to the dating suffix.

Julius Caesar didn't give two craps out of five craps what they called the years prior to his calendar, since he was the ruler of the known world, nobody said otherwise.

And belief has nothing to do with this one, I'm afraid. Unlike the bible, this little calendar education is backed up by actual texts (or tomes?). Even Pope Gregory recognized the Julian calender as an invention of Julius Caesar.

Sure makes a handy time to fabricate the birth of a god son though.

Or sun god... Ever hear of Horace? Look it up, you may find the tale quite familiar.

Last edited by Neohippy; 12/20/12 09:49 PM. Reason: Forgot about Horace

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I get a kick out of the way people go out of their way to
misrepresent things such as you just did.

B.C. is an abbreviation for “Before Christ.” A.D. is an abbreviation for “anno Domini,” which is Latin for “in the year of our Lord.”
B.C. and A.D. are commonly used to count years in time. Jesus Christ’s birth is used as a starting point to count years that existed before (B.C.) and after (A.D.) He was born. For example, the year 532 B.C. refers to the time 532 years before A.D. 1, when Christ was assumed to have been born.
Dionysius Exiguus, a monk, invented the B.C./A.D. method during the Middle Ages, early in the sixth century. Commissioned by the pope, he did this to determine the correct date for Easter. His counting method determined Christ’s birth to be the year A.D. 1. However, Jesus was actually born a few years earlier, in the year 4 B.C.

Quote:
And belief has nothing to do with this one, I'm afraid.

then why is AD connected to the birth of Jesus Crist?

Quote:
So in 523(AD) or so, they wrote up this fantasy novel (or stole stories for it, like Horace... aka Jesus), called it the bible,

Moses wrote the first 5 Books of the Bible apx 1000 - 1500 years before AD.

your talking about the New Testament.

Quote:
this little calendar education is backed up by actual texts (or tomes?).

But the actual text you speak of was written long after the
Jewish Bible. ( the tora or the first 5 Books of the Bible )

they used actual text also , so what point are you attempting to make?

the New Testament wasn't written 532 years after Jesus. You may be referring to 325 AD, when the Council of Nicaea officially recognized the New Testament as having been written by God. But by then, Christians had been reading the New Testament as God's Word already for two centuries.

So when was the New Testament written?

Acts, the fifth book in the New Testament, is a methodical account of the early church written by a doctor named Luke when he was the assistant to and the note taker for the Apostle Paul.

62 AD was when Paul was martyred in Rome. 64 AD was when Emperor Nero burnt Rome and blamed the fire on Christians to launch the Roman persecution of Christians, and 70 AD was when the future Emperor Titus sacked Jerusalem; both were major milestones in the history of early Christianity.

So what?

If a historical account of New York City mentions the construction and the presence of the twin towers of the World Trade Center but ends without mentioning their destruction, that historical account predates September 11, 2001. This conclusion is warranted, isn't it?

Acts ends without mentioning the sacking of Jerusalem in 70 AD; this indicates that Acts predates 70 AD.

Acts also ends without mentioning the great fire in Rome and the ensuing Roman persecution of Christians across the Roman empire; this indicates that Acts also predates 64 AD.

Acts ends just after mentioning Paul's completion of his 2 year imprisonment in Rome but without mentioning his martyrdom in 62 AD. This indicates that Acts was completed in 62 AD.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Moses wrote the first 5 Books of the Bible apx 1000 - 1500 years before AD.

How do you know that?

Is there evidence, or is it something you believe because you were told, or you read it somewhere?

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Paul- I cannot understand why you find it necessary to qualify the power of God in this way.

If God told Moses(?) (or some other primitive but worthy shepherd) the Creation story why cannot it be allowed that God, being omnipotent, was able to do the whole thing in seven days. Remember he had a rest on the seventh day-- well-earned I suggest. And a day is a day-- not millions of years.

Picking out and revising the inconvenient bits should not be an option!

Last edited by Ellis; 12/21/12 12:49 AM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul- I cannot understand why you find it necessary to qualify the power of God in this way.

I could not qualify the power of God.

the reason I used a million / billion years is because we cant
quantify how long a day is for God.

although in the bible there are verses that say.

a day with God is like a thousand years.

this is expressing how long of a time period it would seem that passes were you to spend 1 of our day's with God.

in other words were you to spend 1 of our days with God , to
God that time period would seem like a tiny fraction of a millisecond.

it is not quantifying how long one of God's days are in our years.

as a reference consider your life span to these.

Mayfly 30 minute lifespan.
animals/insects/plants

http://victoryv.hubpages.com/hub/top-10-Short-life-Small-lifespan-animalsinsectsplants

bacteria

20 minutes

http://www.ehow.com/about_4614584_what-life-span-bacteria.html

if you lived for 80 years

2.1 million bacteria (20 minute version) would have lived and died back to back during your life span.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Paul, that's not proof, or even evidence; it's statements of belief. That's without such statements as:

"I think there is little question that 1,800 years ago the Torah already existed........... So the Torah is certainly already in existence for about 1,800 years."

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, that's not proof, or even evidence; it's statements of belief.

it's not statements of belief , its shown in history.

the evidence is found in history.

the proof is shown from the evidence found in history.

at which year in time do you consider a historical document
or any document invalid?

do you believe that the mayan calendar is apx 4000 - 5000 years old , if so why?

do you believe that gobekli tepe is apx 12,000 years old?

if so why?

is it because you don't attach a religion to them?

are your belief's based on if a document is a religious document or not.

what types of documents did people write back then , when
they did write on things?

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Neohippy
Considering BC, and AD, were not adopted until the early 6th century, they can mean whatever you want. More common nowadays (and I always forget) is BCE and ACE.

Actually that is CE (Common Era) and BCE (Before the Common Era). Minor correction, but we might as well get it right. It avoids confusion down the line.

And of course CE and BCE dates are the same as the older AD and BC dates. The change was made in the interests of keeping religion out of science.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: NeoHippy

But that will give the doomsayers a great chance to explain why it didn't happen. Then they can "correct" their observations and call it again.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.