Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
One man's fact is another man's crack-pottery!

establishing facts should not be based on crack pottery.

ie..

using mathematical formulas that are designed to promote a theory.

to me that is crack pottery.

also , to me claiming that nothing can travel faster than the speed
of light is crack pottery.

especially if the formulas that are designed to promote a theory are used to support that theory's claims.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
In times past it was thought that 'miasma' caused illness, and perhaps death. This miasma was thought to be present in crowded places in the air, and could be recognised by bad smells. So the savvy people lived in the country and carried sweet-smelling posies to ward off the miasma. The latter did little to help, and it was not until the discovery of germs that some of the mysteries of disease started to be solved. It took a long time though to convince doctors to wash their hands between patients!

I was trying to point out that chucking out the fantasy may also chuck out the cure. Some of it is going to be useless-- I simply do not believe that water has a memory for instance, however foxgloves can help cure heart disease.

I had thought that science tried to answer the questions that arise from the world around us- sadly this will mean that some research will be unproductive, and involve some crack-pottery, but some will be valuable.

Think how much time those alchemists spent futilely trying to turn stone into gold-- now that was a very enduring fantasy!

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Orac
See there you lost me already Rev K you want to use the word science.

Look at your reference on psychology and it says it all it is an academic discipline NOT a SCIENCE.

There are certain bits of psychology that are scientific but the whole of psychology is not and does not claim to be a SCIENCE. [Here I, RevLGK, agree.]
Orac, take note: I make no claim that psychology--a subject I have studied all my life--is a hard science like that of chemistry or physics. But even you do agree--do you not?--that bits of it do take a scientific approach.

Now, look below at how the dictionary defines the word 'science'. I assume we can both easily agree on definitions # 1, 2 & 3.

But, what about definitions # 4 & 5-- #4, about "systematized knowledge in general? And #5, about knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study".

There is lots of general knowledge about theology, pneumatology, psychology, etc. IMO, this means they are more than just made-up philosophies, myths, fantasies, or fiction.

One day they could be developed enough to join the ranks of studies that take a scientific approach and could be able to measure things like morality, fear, faith, hope, courage and willpower, etc. WILLPOWER--The Greatest Human Strength, is the name of a recent and well-received psychology-based book about willpower. The book has attracted world-media attention.
Quote:
science, a noun:
1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

4. systematized knowledge in general.

5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.