Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tessapiest
Unregistered
tessapiest
Unregistered
T
Army engineers of the US military has announced its plans to make a new gear for female soldiers that will provide them with more protection and make them more alert in combat.

In a study made by the US Army it was discovered that the ill-fitting military gear actually interferes with the women’s combat performance, citing examples like difficulty in boarding the vehicles and taking proper aim with their weapons.

This initiative to redesign body armor started in 2009 when women from the 101st Airborne division felt uncomfortable wearing the gear during the war.

“It rubbed on the hips, and the vests were too long in the front, so that when you had female soldiers climbing stairs or climbing up a hill or a tree, or sitting for a long time in a vehicle, that would create pressure points that in some instances could impact blood flow and cause some discomfort,” said Lt. Col. Frank Lozan, who is helping design the body armor.

However, engineers are faced with challenges because making new female body armor will present potential weaknesses on the material. This is because the material of the armor they use will get heavier as you add more curves.

“There are some complex curvatures that come into play with female hard-armor plates. I could make female hard-armor, but it would be twice as heavy,” Lozano said.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I can not believe this is serious!!

Women are a different body-shape from men!! What a ground-breaking discovery! Stop the press!

And stop sniggering-- it's not just the boobs- it sounds as though the women have had to wear the regular male armour and so the tunics would be totally the wrong shape, the arms and trouser legs would be too long and the hips too narrow to start with.

As I said I believe this is a joke, and a sexist one at that! If not-- well we are all doomed!!!

A
A
This'll be good

"The written word is a lie"
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There's more. Sorry Ellis, it seems we are all doomed!

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-...ll-fitting-gear

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I'm a bit lost with this photograph.

So-- Is it the gear on the right that's the uncomfortable one, (for everyone I think)? ---OR---- Shall I hang about in the hope of seeing all the would-be Rambos, boys and girls, jumping around in the very comfortable and relaxed looking gear on the left?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
My vote would have to be for the gear on the left.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bill S- I think that would be a vote for world peace!

Z
zandarakingston2
Unregistered
zandarakingston2
Unregistered
Z
Upon my searching I found out GI Jane (1997) starring Demi Moore was a good example..A female Senator succeeds in enrolling a woman into Combined Reconnaissance Team training where everyone expects her to fail. American action film directed by Ridley Scott, An interesting movie for me, I think I need to watch it. But anyone knows where I can find or buy some copy of this movie? How much? A movie way back 1997.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Hi, zandarakingston2, welcome.

There seem to be plenty of copies on Amazon.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Welcome zandrakingston2.

At least 'GI Jane' may have more going for it than the truly awful 'Private Benjamin' starring (?) Goldie Hawn. It is execrable.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Welcome zandrakingston2.

At least 'GI Jane' may have more going for it than the truly awful 'Private Benjamin' starring (?) Goldie Hawn. It is execrable.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Hi there..Bill S. said there are copys of 'GI Jane' on Amazon?
I take it you are living in a country that cannot download all the items that Amazon has - unlike here in the West?

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Ellis
Welcome zandrakingston2.

But everybody knows that "Private Benjamin" was a great movie. They said so.

I did see it, once.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.