Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4701 02/06/06 10:45 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by soilguy:
""""" the way to ... to succeed, is to be vigilant in weeding out the pseudo science. So mechanical and electrical engineering is good science, but basic research isn't good science? Where do you think engineers pick up the basic information necessary to conduct their work? """""[/QB]
You totally misunderstand my point.
The "quantum computing" 'basic research' hoax, has made a lot of 'engineers' to throw their lives straight to the dogs.

ES

#4702 02/07/06 05:35 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Hoax? Hardly.

Want to disagree with me ... feel free to post references to anything more substantive than your personal opinion.

DA Morgan
#4703 02/07/06 04:05 PM
I think I may still be totally misunderstanding your point. You point to an economist as your example of "good" science. Can you point to a researcher in the hard sciences that you consider worthy of being called a good scientist?

Also, what is wrong with having more than one author on a paper? Is there some number of authors that puts a paper over the top, in your view?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#4704 02/07/06 11:24 PM
E
E
Quote:
what is wrong with having more than one author on a paper? Is there some number of authors that puts a paper over the top, in your view?
Why not for each to write what he has to say? It was always the case before.

ES

#4705 02/07/06 11:55 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Extrasense wrote:
"Why not for each to write what he has to say? It was always the case before."

Your lack of understanding of how science works is as hard to disguise as the discharge of a thermonuclear weapon.

When I published in peer reviewed journals there were three of us. All working as a team to produce the result. Each cross-checking the work to make sure it was accurate and repeatable. No one person any more responsible for any part than the other. Science is not a football game. Every player helps carry the ball over the line.

DA Morgan
#4706 02/08/06 01:08 AM
R
R
I'm still in the dark as to what ES's argument really is.

#4707 02/08/06 05:40 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I'm not sure he has one. He seems to be laboring under the assumption that science he agrees with is good, like electricity and antibiotics. And science he disagrees with is bad.

I'm not sure even he knows what his argument is as most of his arguments seem to be generated on-the-fly based on his theological predisposition.

DA Morgan
#4708 02/08/06 06:12 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
science he agrees with is good, like electricity and antibiotics. And science he disagrees with is bad.
If someone does not belive my assertion, that our science is in steep decline, read some stuff that is in the open press:

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-wwblurb4601316jan26,0,1423421.column?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/thomassowell/2006/01/12/182061.html

ES

#4709 02/09/06 03:12 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Oooh newsday.com and townhall.com. Wow you go for all of the definitive source materials.

Science in America done by US citizens? Yep ... because of people such as born-again dead-in-the-head fundamentalists who have gutted science funding and stifled the free expression of scientific thought.

Science on a planetary basis, the only one that really matters, is doing just fine.

DA Morgan
#4710 02/09/06 05:06 AM
E
E
Quote:
Oooh newsday.com and townhall.com. Wow you go for all of the definitive source materials.
Science in America done by US citizens? Yep ... because of people such as born-again dead-in-the-head fundamentalists who have gutted science funding and stifled the free expression of scientific thought.
Science on a planetary basis, the only one that really matters, is doing just fine.
Not at all, rather because of the parasitic pseudoscience, and because of education destroyed by "liberals"

e laugh s

#4711 02/09/06 04:14 PM
If someone does not belive my assertion, that our science is in steep decline, read some stuff that is in the open press:

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-wwblurb4601316jan26,0,1423421.column?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/thomassowell/2006/01/12/182061.html

ES
[/QUOTE]

I read both of those columns, extrasense. Neither of them make any comment on the state of science. They berate Americans for being so ignorant, but absolutely nothing to back up your claims that the world of science is in a mess.

Do you know what science is? Do you know how the scientific community works?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#4712 02/09/06 11:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
extraNONsense wrote:
Not at all, rather because of the parasitic pseudoscience, and because of education destroyed by "liberals"

So now it is about liberals and conservatives. No question about it. Cheap-shot labels are the best way to argue a point. Oh I am impressed. You, Bill O'Reilly, Pat Robertson, and the Christian Coalition. Can't carry an intelligent argument ... well just call them commies or fags eh.

If there is pseudoscience then name it. I want you to name the peer reviewed journals publishing it and I want you to name the university's supporting it. And if you do I will respond specifically to those points. Oh but you won't because you've never actually been to a university science department in your life as either student or faculty. You are just throwing out cheap labels to cover for gross ignorance. You wouldn't know the difference between a quaterion and a quarter if I gave you a one hour lecture on the subject.

Education in the US is being destroyed by people from both extremist sides of the political spectrum. By those on the left for their reasons and those on the right for different reasons. But it all amounts to the same thng. And each trying to shirk their responsibility by means of a childish exercise in finger-pointing.

Personally I'll believe either side gives a damn when they start paying teachers, policmen, and other emergency workers more than they pay NASCAR drivers.

Science in other countries ... amazingly enough there are some that are more civilized than Somalia ... is doing just fine. I'd suggest that you learn to speak Hindi or Chinese.

soilguy: Shabash! yōu xi?

DA Morgan
#4713 02/11/06 01:53 PM
E
E
Quote:
extraNONsense wrote:
Not at all, rather because of the parasitic pseudoscience, and because of education destroyed by "liberals".

... well just call them commies or fags eh...

Science in other countries ...is doing just fine. I'd suggest that you learn to speak Hindi or Chinese.
With educators like you, no wonder the American science is in decline. Sure, who cares about the decline, if Chinese science progresses!

e laugh s

#4714 02/11/06 01:57 PM
E
E
Quote:
I read both of those columns, extrasense. Neither of them make any comment on the state of science.
To read does not mean to understand, apparently.

e laugh s

#4715 02/11/06 02:28 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
extraNONsense wrote:
"With educators like you, no wonder the American science is in decline. Sure, who cares about the decline, if Chinese science progresses!"

Educators like me at least have integrity to address a topic and not play little childrens games trying to change the subject.

I challenged you to name a pseudoscience: You didn't.

I challenged you to name a university supporting a pseudoscience: You didn't.

So what's with your original claim? Was it just a lie? A prevarication? Two-and-a-half tons of hyperbole? You betcha!

How do I do as an educator? Students take my classes on a purely voluntary basis and I have a full classroom year after year. Students three times a year rate their instructors. I've not received an evaluation I'm not proud to show to any that ask.

And what is it you do when you are not competing with dark energy for a place in the universe?

DA Morgan
#4716 02/11/06 03:11 PM
E
E
Quote:
extraNONsense wrote:
"With educators like you, no wonder the American science is in decline. Sure, who cares about the decline, if Chinese science progresses!"

I challenged you to name a pseudoscience: You didn't.
I challenged you to name a university supporting a pseudoscience: You didn't.
Here we go.

pseudoscience: quantum computing
University: University of Illinois at ... has been identified as a resource central to much of quantum information processing

Quote:

Tzu-Chieh Wei , Marie Ericsson , Paul M. Goldbart , and William J. Munro, Connections between relative entropy of entanglement and geometric measure of entanglement (2004)
... William J. Munro 3 1 Department of Physics, University of Illinois at ... has been identified as a resource central to much of quantum information processing [1].
e laugh s

#4717 02/11/06 06:31 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quantum computing is pseudoscience?

Are you going to state precisely what it is about quantum computing that makes it pseudoscience or am I supposed to guess?

Which part of the following statement is untrue and on what basis is it untrue? Please point to the specific paper that refutes it.

"The degree to which a pure quantum state is entangled can be characterized by the distance or angle to the unentangled state."

DA Morgan
#4718 02/11/06 06:45 PM
E
E
Quote:
Quantum computing is pseudoscience?
"The degree to which a pure quantum state is entangled can be characterized by the distance or angle to the unentangled state."
This is the gabbelegook, which the crapsellers get their billions for. There no such thing as entanglement, period. It is a way the lie is packaged, that's all.

E laugh S

#4719 02/11/06 07:43 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The fact that you are uneducated does and do not understand something doesn't make it gobbledegook.

The definition of science is not that some person who never studied the subject doesn't understand it. If that were the definition of science then we'd still be living in caves and grunting at each other: Awk Sed Grep.

You seem to be trying to earn the title poster-child of willfull ignorance.

I don't understand you and people like you continuing to occupy space and breathe air. But so far that lack of understanding hasn't made one of you go to school.

Lets try it again:
Which part of the following statement is untrue and on what basis is it untrue? Please point to the specific paper that refutes it.

Either put up or shut up!

DA Morgan
#4720 02/11/06 08:20 PM
E
E
Quote:
The fact that you are uneducated does and do not understand something doesn't make it gobbledegook.
You are igmorant kook of educator, asking idiotic questions which show that to be true to everybody.
And you have the gull to doubt my education level! Better stop making fool of yourself and continue quietly collect your unearned salary.

ES

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.