Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4681 12/26/05 05:03 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Thus the quote of the day is:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
~ Lord Acton

DA Morgan
#4682 12/26/05 07:36 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
Teachers are at the mercy of the local school board. They are typically overworked, underpaid and often underqualified. My son's high school English teacher was a sports coach who could not correctly pronounce "alacrity" and did not know enough grammar to teach the subject. HIs ignorance was exceeded only by his attitude, which was in need of correction. My son had more understanding of English grammar in sixth grade than did this man who was teaching in High School. But he was a good coach so they overlooked his weaknesses as a teacher. Is it any wonder the students are apathetic, with that as an example set before them?
I have to disagree,

Usually it is the Teacher Unions that force school boards to keep ignorant teachers.
Don't leave out Tax Base, and size of the comunity, and poverty level.

#4683 12/27/05 05:41 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
As an educator, myself, I feel reasonably qualified to state that lack of education has little or nothing to do with tax base, community size, or poverty level (at least from an economic standpoint).

It has to do with our schools churning out reasonably uneducated educators and parents that don't give a damn.

My feeling is that they have children to satisfy a biological urge, or worse for their parents, and have no real interest in being parents.

DA Morgan
#4684 12/28/05 02:06 AM
B
B
DA Morgan there is so much wrong with the above I wont start(at least from an economic standpoint).Maybe you should try Dalmore 18years one of the best singel malts

#4685 12/28/05 05:48 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I will. Just as soon as I get through the last of my current stash.

Heading back to the UK in May and will get some to replenish my stock.

DA Morgan
#4686 01/29/06 03:07 PM
R
R
News from the trenches...

Climate Expert Says NASA Tried to Silence Him
The top climate scientist (Dr. James E. Hansen) at NASA says the Bush administration has tried to stop him from speaking out since he gave a lecture last month calling for prompt reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases linked to global warming.

"They feel their job is to be this censor of information going out to the public," said Dr. Hansen.

"That's not the way we operate here at NASA. We promote openness and we speak with the facts," said Dean Acosta, deputy assistant administrator for public affairs at the space agency.

#4687 01/31/06 07:30 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander:
With that education will come a respect for science. Then, cheap political tricks to corall the ignorant will have fewer chances of success.
The science is losing respect because of its own decay. It is converting in full speed into pseudoscience. So the education by those nitwits is a joke. Your whole attitude is missing out on this.

e smile s

#4688 02/01/06 01:13 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by extrasense:

The way to teach education is to fix Science, Academics, then School, in this order.

The science is losing respect because of its own decay. It is converting in full speed into pseudoscience. So the education by those nitwits is a joke.
es, could you explain the issue that you have with science (methodology?), and let us know how you think this 'problem' should be fixed.

#4689 02/01/06 06:11 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
ExtraNONsense wrote:
"The science is losing respect because of its own decay."

Well it certainly appears grammar lost first. But if you are so concerned about the decay of science stop using your computer, stop taking antibiotics, stop using electricity, stop listening to the radio, watching TV, driving your car, smash the cell phone and the digital camera and do please start growing your own food and purifying your own drinking water.

Science is alive, healthy, respected by all but a handful, and doing what it does best. You, on the otherhand, are a cesspool of willfully educated ignorance hypocritically denouncing the very things you use each and every day when you post to this site. Shameless hypocrisy at its worst.

DA Morgan
#4690 02/01/06 11:11 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Rockets:
Quote:
The way to fix education is to fix Science, Academics, then School, in this order.
The science is losing respect because of its own decay. It is converting full speed into pseudoscience. So the education by those nitwits is a joke.
es, could you explain the issue that you have with science (methodology?), and let us know how you think this 'problem' should be fixed.
You might say that the Alchemistry was useful, as it was keeping up the interest in the natural wonders.
Here is the link to my website, that shows that main "scientific" theories of today are garbage.
What is a way, in your mind, to excuse that? Where does it lead us, looking into the future?

http://groups.google.com/group/freescience?lnk=oa&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/freeviewsscience?lnk=oa&hl=en

ES

#4691 02/02/06 12:37 AM
R
R
Quote:
You might say that the Alchemistry was useful, as it was keeping up the interest in the natural wonders.
Here is the link to my website, that shows that main "scientific" theories of today are garbage.
What is a way, in your mind, to excuse that? Where does it lead us, looking into the future?

ES
es, in regard to your website...

Are you really suggesting that Marxism is "a main scientific theory of today"?

I also notice that you try to use scientific notation in an attempt to falsify the feasibility of QC. Isn't the testing of theories and hypotheses what science is all about? How can science be as bad as you make it out to be when you are using the very same tools?

If you think that current science methodology is faulty, what else is there? What are your alternative suggestions?

#4692 02/02/06 01:46 AM
E
E
Quote:
Quote:
main "scientific" theories of today are garbage. What is a way, in your mind, to excuse that? Where does it lead us, looking into the future?
How can science be as bad as you make it out to be when you are using the very same tools?
Must not you see the difference between the principle, idea of science, and the crap that is parasiting on that idea? Should not the society be smart enough for that, for being able to make the distinction?

ES

#4693 02/02/06 03:47 AM
R
R
Quote:

Must not you see the difference between the principle, idea of science, and the crap that is parasiting on that idea? Should not the society be smart enough for that, for being able to make the distinction?

ES
I'm not really sure that I follow what you are trying to say. Could you provide some more examples to prove that science standards are currently in widespread decline.

And I ask again, if you claim to have pin pointed what is wrong with science (and you are yet to tell us what that really is), how do you propose that science should be fixed?

#4694 02/02/06 10:39 AM
E
E
Quote:
Could you provide some more examples to prove that science standards are currently in widespread decline..
how do you propose that science should be fixed?
Certainly, I could.
Most of the "nanotechnology" is a fraud or myth.
NASA science is an oximoron.
Anthropoid string theory is a nonesense.

The mentioned here and on my sites, are just tip of the iceberg.

How to fix this decay?

We need at least to start exposing the scoundrels, kick them out of professorships, and fund the real research with the billions saved from their clatches.

ES

#4695 02/02/06 11:12 AM
R
R
Quote:

How to fix this decay?

We need at least to start exposing the scoundrels, kick them out of professorships, and fund the real research with the billions saved from their clatches.

ES
What, in your opinion, are some examples of real research?

#4696 02/02/06 01:06 PM
E
E
Quote:
Quote:
What, in your opinion, are some examples of real research?
I can give you an example, right off the top of my head: the work of Thomas Sowell.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/archive.shtml
Six hundred Twenty Six outstanding articles of high scientific and literary value, a number of books - are an example hard to match.
And incidently, each is signed by one person - not by endless list of shady co-authors.

ES

#4697 02/02/06 01:34 PM
R
R
Quote:
I can give you an example, right off the top of my head: the work of Thomas Sowell.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/archive.shtml
Six hundred Twenty Six outstanding articles of high scientific and literary value, a number of books - are an example hard to match.
And incidently, each is signed by one person - not by endless list of shady co-authors.

ES
I should have been more specific; I meant research in natural science rather than social science.

#4698 02/02/06 02:41 PM
E
E
Quote:
Quote:
I should have been more specific; I meant research in natural science rather than social science.
A pretty good example of the applied science is Mars Exploration Rover design /as opposed to the planetery science part, which is a disaster./

The Japanese humanoid robots are impressive too.

These are the successes, while the good reaserch in progress is not easily visible until the fruition. So the way to help it to succeed, is to be vigilant in weeding out the pseudo science.

e laugh s

#4699 02/06/06 05:41 AM
B
Bee Offline
B
Seriously, don't you think that people will question science later on (especially bad science)? Why am I not surprised more and more people home school? (for better or worse btw. not everyone is cut out to teach and have your students become independent thinkers)..
I don't blame the individual teachers anymore than I blame any soldier for a war, but why is it that those that care, never seem to be in charge?

**newsflash! the flight of the Bumblebee doesn't defy the laws of science after all! makes me wonder what else is possible that we may think defies science now but doesn't?*... and the Bumblebee still flies..
#4700 02/06/06 03:19 PM
Quote:
A pretty good example of the applied science is Mars Exploration Rover design /as opposed to the planetery science part, which is a disaster./

The Japanese humanoid robots are impressive too.

These are the successes, while the good reaserch in progress is not easily visible until the fruition. So the way to help it to succeed, is to be vigilant in weeding out the pseudo science.
So mechanical and electrical engineering is good science, but basic research isn't good science? Where do you think engineers pick up the basic information necessary to conduct their work?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.