Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46313 11/25/12 04:43 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
So Writes the Brand New Extensive Science Department of the Huffingtonpost Newspaper.
< http://www.huffingtonpost.com/science/ >

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to learn what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

Something interesting was spotted in a soil sample that Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."

The rover team won't be ready to announce just what SAM found for several weeks, NPR reported, as scientists want to check and double-check the results. Indeed, Grotzinger confirmed to SPACE.com that the news will come out at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, which takes place Dec. 3-7 in San Francisco.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20..._hp_ref=science

***Thoughts
Do we expect an announcement of life found on Mars? cool
Or a more simple building block of life? cry
I hope its not a damp-squibb, as Xmas is coming sick

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
At least it was not announced on 1st April, so hopefully we can look forward to something. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
J. Grotzinger is reported to have said:

"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good"

- which seems to suggest that Curiosity is producing an unprecedented quantity and quality of data. Maybe that data indicates that there once were living organisms on Mars, but I wouldn't anticipate a discovery of extant life.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

UPDATE
Something interesting was spotted in a soil sample that Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."

HAVE a shufti at this Pre-anouncement Video by Curiosity's Chief Scientist.

http://www.space.com/18599-what-did-curiosity-find-on-mars-video.html

The actual real final anouncement will probably come tomorrow,
the 4th Dec:, or the day after.

***Thoughts
Do we expect an announcement of life found on Mars? cool
Or a more simple building block of life? cry
I hope its not a damp-squibb, as Xmas is coming sick

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The actual real final anouncement will probably come tomorrow, the 4th Dec:, or the day after.

It's 4th Dec, here. I wonder how soon the news will break!

Come to that; what date is it on Mars?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Bad Astronomy:Curiosity Finds Cool Chemistry on Mars but No Organics

Basically this a report on what Curiosity found. It appears that the report of something big was a bit of a misconstruction by a reporter of something that one of the scientists said.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Bill
Bad Astronomy:Curiosity Finds Cool Chemistry on Mars but No Organics

Basically this a report on what Curiosity found. It appears that the report of something big was a bit of a misconstruction by a reporter of something that one of the scientists said.

Bill Gill

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Mike Kremer said ...

"Well Bill I guess I am not the only person thats extremely disapointed with the results so far"
Not that I ever expected Curiosity to ever find 'living life'

I mean how could one find 'living life' after heating soil samples up to 900 Centigrade?

My idea is that it would not only be cheaper but more rewarding for Curiosity to trundle around Mars, and pick up a small soil sample every 50 miles, or so.
Deposit this pinch of soil into a test tube of pure water....
then allow the microscope camera to frequently inspect the test tubes over a period of time.
With luck, NASA may show us the tiny Martian bugs, evolving and happily swimming around?

Can anybody suggest as to why this simple idea was not implemented, thought of, or at least discussed ?
To me its feasable project, with each result measured in days.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Thanks for the link Bill.

You do realise it's all a hoax, don't you?

http://thedailytrash.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/explosive-new-photos-prove-mars-landing-hoax-is-real/

Quote:
Following on from our recent report exposing the so-called “Mars landing” of the land rover “Curiosity” as an elaborate hoax, we have been inundated with phone calls and emails from concerned citizens like you, who are similarly outraged at this monumental waste of hardworking taxpayers’ dollars being spent on the greatest hoax of our time purely designed to re-elect Barack Obama and distract attention away from the perilous state of the US economy, rampant unemployment and civil unrest.

Hang on a minute! Guess who is behind it all!!!

Quote:
But the horror doesn’t end there. No it does not. With thanks to our exclusive sources, we can reveal that the entire NASA “mission to Mars” is an elaborate modern-day judeo conspiracy designed to destroy Christianity and our way life.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Oh, good grief! Yet another project denounced as fake by some wanker who's trying to stir up anti-government sentiment. When will these fraudsters be defeated? No matter what the project is, someone has to jump in and claim it is all fraud. What does it take to get people to quit listening to these hawkers of doom? Are people really that ignorant, to believe these false prophets? If so, I really fear for our country. But we are known for our inexplicable events, like in the last election, where 47% of people voted for a party that is against their self interests. Go figure.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
like in the last election, where 47% of people voted for a party that is against their self interests. Go figure.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one , R2

I think it was some type of mass hypnosis.
what other reason would they have?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
N
N
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Thanks for the link Bill.

You do realise it's all a hoax, don't you?

http://thedailytrash.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/explosive-new-photos-prove-mars-landing-hoax-is-real/

Quote:
Following on from our recent report exposing the so-called “Mars landing” of the land rover “Curiosity” as an elaborate hoax, we have been inundated with phone calls and emails from concerned citizens like you, who are similarly outraged at this monumental waste of hardworking taxpayers’ dollars being spent on the greatest hoax of our time purely designed to re-elect Barack Obama and distract attention away from the perilous state of the US economy, rampant unemployment and civil unrest.

Hang on a minute! Guess who is behind it all!!!

Quote:
But the horror doesn’t end there. No it does not. With thanks to our exclusive sources, we can reveal that the entire NASA “mission to Mars” is an elaborate modern-day judeo conspiracy designed to destroy Christianity and our way life.

Yes! The great space related conspiracy of our time! Exciting stuff.

I particularly like this quote from the above link: "Ordinary people will be forced to rescind their religion, and adopt this new-found dogma or risk being mocked, ridiculed, bashed, or even put to death."
Sounds like most fundamentalist religious folk nowadays. Pot calling the kettle African American and what not.

Laziness breeds innovation
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I think it was some type of mass hypnosis.
what other reason would they have?

Now, there's the material for a good conspiracy theory.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.