Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bill S. #46301 11/24/12 05:32 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
There is also the fact that when discussing the implications of Newton's second law, it is easy to overlook the third law, which contains force but not necessarily motion.

Quote:
Third law: When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = -F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

F2=-F1

that will have to be my next topic.
clearly there's been some error.

ie...

1000 kg-m/s^2 vs .000000001 kg-m/s^2

I choose 1000 kg-m/s^2 as the victor in a head on confrontation.

why do I say that?
because if the two forces are equal and opposite
then nothing in mechanics would ever work.

in fact you could never walk down the street or get out of bed.
nothing could ever move.

Quote:
An illustration of Newton's third law in which two skaters push against each other. The skater on the left exerts a force F on the skater on the right, and the skater on the right exerts a force F on the skater on the (left)right.
Although the forces are equal, the accelerations are not: the less massive skater will have a greater acceleration due to Newton's second law.

what happened to the equal and opposite reaction in the above?
if the forces are always the same then the equal but opposite force that the ice is placing on the skaters skates would prevent their skates from moving.

so the skaters would not even move.

but Im always going against science anyway right?

ever wonder why?

maybe its because I find so many errors in science.

Quote:
Actioni contrariam semper et æqualem esse reactionem: sive corporum duorum actiones in se mutuo semper esse æquales et in partes contrarias dirigi.

must be an error in the translation.
or it was taken out of context.
or newton was wrong!

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #46302 11/24/12 06:37 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
if we cannot agree on a new formula to replace F=ma then
we should agree on a definition of force that defines
a force as a influence with magnitude in a direction that causes a change in the rate of the velocity of an object with time

We don't need anything to replace F=ma because it works just fine in its area of application, which is in a dynamic situation. In a static situation where there is no acceleration force still exists, it just doesn't meet the relationship, not the actual definition expressed by F=ma.

And that brings us back to my old Schaums Outline. The following is the discussion of the laws of motion.

Originally Posted By: Shaum's
Chapter 2 NEWTON'S LAWS of MOTION
WORK, ENERGY and MOMENTUM
NEWTON'S LAWS
The following three laws of motion given by Sir Isaac Newton are considered the axioms of mechanics:
1. Every particle persists in a state of rest or of uniform motion in a straight line (i.e. with constant velocity) unless acted upon by a force.
2. If F is the (external) force acting on a particle of mass m which as a consequence is moving with velocity v, then

F =(d/dt)(mv) = dp/dt
where p = mv is called the momentum.

If m is independent of time t this becomes

F = m(dv/dt) = ma

where a is the acceleration of the particle.

3. If particle 1 acts on particle 2 with a force F12 in a direction along the line joining the particles, while particle 2 acts on particle 1 with a force F21, then F21 = —F12. In other words, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

DEFINITIONS OF FORCE AND MASS

The concepts of force and mass used in the above axioms are as yet undefined, although intuitively we have some idea of mass as a measure of the "quantity of matter in an object" and force as a measure of the "push or pull on an object". We can however use the above axioms to develop definitions.

Notice that in the second law the phrase "as a consequence is moving with velocity v" occurs. Now then if the force is acting on a particle which isn't moving, then F=ma no longer applies. We can develop a working method of measuring force by applying F=ma to a known mass with a known acceleration. Or we can develop a working method of measuring mass by applying a known force and measuring the acceleration. But the really basic definitions of force and mass are still the same ones that are in the last paragraph of the quote from Schaum's. Basically they are intuitive concepts that don't lend themselves to exact definition. Force is something that looks like a push or a pull. Mass is something that goes with objects. Actually I like to think of Mass as a quality of matter that resists a change in motion. And I like to think of force as something that tries to change the motion of matter.

Bill Gill

Last edited by Bill; 11/24/12 06:39 PM. Reason: Minor editorial correction

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
paul #46303 11/24/12 06:47 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
Quote:
Quote:

Third law: When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = -F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

F2=-F1

that will have to be my next topic.
clearly there's been some error.

ie...

1000 kg-m/s^2 vs .000000001 kg-m/s^2

The forces will be equal and opposite. But according to F=mA which can be rearranged to say A = F/m then the acceleration of the 2 bodies will be much different. And your numbers are wrong. You are showing 2 different forces. But the 2 bodies will have the same force exerted on them, just in opposite directions. 2 bodies experiencing a force of the same magnitude but with different masses will experience different accelerations.

Bill Gill

Bill #46305 11/24/12 07:24 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:

but suppose
mass 1 = 1 kg
mass 2 = 2 kg

and they both have an acceleration of 1 m/s^2

magnitude of f1 = m1*1m/s^2 = 1 kg-m/s^2
magnitude of f2 = m2*1m/s^2 = 2 kg-m/s^2

f1 and f2 are not equal in magnitude!

Quote:
And your numbers are wrong. You are showing 2 different forces.

force is the product of mass x acceleration

it doesn't say that the two bodies have equal mass
or equal velocity.
that's why I used two different forces.

Quote:
But the 2 bodies will have the same force exerted on them, just in opposite directions.

that's impossible.
unless you plan ahead of time and adjust the accelerations
of the two masses or the mass of the two masses or both to achieve the same force.

Quote:
2 bodies experiencing a force of the same magnitude but with different masses will experience different accelerations.

I can agree to that.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #46306 11/24/12 08:29 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Gentle readers: Once again we are subjected to Paul's refusal to actually think about what he is writing down so that he can see that it is completely wrong. Occasionally he makes a correct statement, then uses it in a totally inappropriate way to make a completely wrong point. He has been doing this as long as I have been following SAGG, so it shouldn't come as a surprise, but I am still amazed at his persistence in refusing to make any attempt to figure out how things really work.

As an example he is currently claiming that Newton's Laws of Motion are wrong. He completely ignores the fact that these laws have been used successfully by scientists and engineers for over 300 years, with no significant changes until Einstein developed the theory of Relativity. If they are wrong then the whole of the modern world is working under a serious delusion, since most of the developments up until the invention of Quantum Mechanics depended on the correct working of Newton's laws. Since the development of QM development of modern technology still uses Newtonian mechanics with a dose of QM on top to get into the modern digital age. So his claims are totally without foundation.

Bill Gill

Bill #46307 11/24/12 10:33 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
your appeal for help never seems to attract any help
from the gentle readers.

Quote:
figure out how things really work.

I know how things really work , that's why I have issues
with this.

and I'm right.

Quote:
As an example he is currently claiming that Newton's Laws of Motion are wrong.

I think that the laws have been misconstrued to fit in.

Quote:
So his claims are totally without foundation

I dont see it that way.

first we have discrepancies with the symbols in physics.

then

we have discrepancies with the definitions in physics.

how hard is it to contemplate that sometime in the past
newtons words were misconstrued to fit into a slot.

F=ma is the issue , the a is the focus.

lets consider momentum.

P=mv

mass x velocity , requires motion.

Quote:
is the product of the mass and velocity of an object.

you say that a force does not need acceleration.
so
do you also say that momentum also does not require velocity?

where will it end?

if you use a force to stretch a spring.

then clasp the extended spring to hold it in its expanded shape.

does the spring exert a force , or does the spring have tension? like potential energy Ep=mgh

you used a force to extend the spring.
and the spring will supply that force when you unclasp it.

but does the spring supply a force indefinitely while it is clasped in the extended shape.

I believe that is an example of why force requires motion.

lift a 10 lb brick and place it on top of a 10 ft ladder.

it now has potential energy. Ep=mgh

it can supply a 10 lbf for a distance of 10 feet = 100 ft-lbf.
but you had to put that much energy into the brick to lift it.
and the brick must move in order for you to use the potential energy you stored by elevating the brick.

does the brick exert energy sitting on top of the ladder?
No, it has potential energy but it exerts no energy.
those are reality situations.

they all require motion.

F=ma requires motion acceleration is the motion
P=mv requires motion velocity is the motion

there is no force without motion.

force requires motion

paul #46310 11/25/12 02:42 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
But Paul, I wasn't looking for help. I was just trying to let other people know to ignore your meaningless posts.

Bill Gill

Bill #46329 11/26/12 03:06 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
But Paul, I wasn't looking for help. I was just trying to let other people know to ignore your meaningless posts.

yes, I will also ignore my meaningless post.

your so right , mr bill

In fact I have never found someone as smart and such a genius as
you are.

how do you do it?
how could anyone become as intelligent as you have become.

I think that you are approaching the level of intelligence
that einstein approached and books should be written about your
world renowned genius.

Bill #46331 11/26/12 04:26 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:

Bill Gill

I do agree that posting on sagg is meaningless.

but its only meaningless because you and the other posers
here on sagg are so smart , so magical , so inventive with physics.

even newton himself would feel as if he were standing in your shadow.

all hail mr bill and his poser group on sagg

strike a pose

paul #46336 11/26/12 09:20 PM
Superstar
Superstar
I've had about enough of this tripe. Either get on topic and act like an adult, or go find somewhere else to post your video clips. If you can't even go one post without insulting someone you need to grow up and act like an adult. Exchanging insults and linking to music videos are not an adult mode. Respect those who hold views opposing your own, if you want to be respected for your views.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
R2

its really odd that you jump in and correct me when I
am "insulting someone".

where are you when I am the one being insulted?

poser

paul #46349 11/27/12 06:31 AM
Superstar
Superstar
Don't piss off the moderator.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

paul #46353 11/27/12 11:23 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Don't [censored] off the moderator

Tut, tut!

Can I be a Mod?

I don’t have enough hair for a Hitler haircut, but I might manage the moustache.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #46354 11/27/12 11:24 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Cancel that, Donette says she will leave me if I grow one of those.

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Don't piss off the moderator.

oh , so all the posers on sagg can piss me me off all they want
and the moderator never steps in and pisses them off.

but if I piss someone off then the moderator is right there telling
me that I shouldn't piss people off.

piss off

anyone know the meaning of that?

paul #46361 11/28/12 01:23 AM
Superstar
Superstar
Paul,

You are the one doing most of the instigating. You deliberately provoke people by insulting them and then whine when you get called names in retaliation. What goes around comes around. If you don't want the discussion to degenerate into name calling and mud slinging, don't lead the way there. Grow up and learn to respect your fellow posters. If you will respect them, and not start with the name-calling, you will find you'll get better results.

paul #46364 11/28/12 03:31 AM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I think you need to start from the beginning of the post R2.

I'm not sure how much more you could grow up , but recognizing
your own failures was suppose to be a part of it , if you fail
to moderate , then things can get out of hand.

you really need to learn physics in order to moderate in a physics
forum.

if there are 5 members ganging up on 1 member claiming that
2+2=0 then you would see the ganging up.

but if you don't know physics and there are 5 members ganging up on 1 member saying that F=ma does not mean force equals mass times acceleration then you wouldn't recognize it because you would only have reasoned it the way people who don't know physics reason it.

read before you plead.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.