Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Getting back away from the resident religious troll in kiddy corner I thought I would post this for those interested.

Tommaso has posted the latest results released from CMS and Atlas.

In an earlier post I showed you problems with the Higgs signal as it was initially released and that it did not exclude the Higgs from being an exotic mix of two or more particles.

That door seems to have been closed to a very very unlikely option with the release of this data

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries_survivor/cms_and_atlas_higgs_tau_pairs-96417

So it does indeed look like a common boring Higgs after all :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Let's try to stick with science. smile

Here's a somewhat less technical link:

http://www.nature.com/news/new-higgs-res...d=NEWS-20121120

There never was nothing.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Hadn't seen that one ... nice simplification.

There is a really interesting QM paper and experiment on preprint server at the moment on time.

It should clear preprint next week and I will stick a link up soon as it hits one of the usual science sites.

Last edited by Orac; 11/22/12 05:47 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Matt Strasler has a continuation of his explanations of what the latest LHC results mean to the search for Super Symmetry (SUSY). The results don't close out all forms of SUSY, but they do close the door on some forms. So SUSY is still possible, as are some other theories running around out there, but we are starting to narrow the field of contenders for the next extension of the Standard Model.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Nice article I just realised this probably could have been tagged into your thread on beyond the standard model Bill rather than starting a new thread sorry.

By the way back on our deliberations on energy and time there is a new paper out which is sort of interesting to think about. Unfortunately it hasn't been picked up by the science magazines and simplified yet but is stirring interest and heated discussion.

It's a bit technical in it's raw form but I am guessing you can sort of read around the complications to understand it your physics is advanced enough.

Abstract:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.4848

Full paper:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1211.4848v1.pdf

Last edited by Orac; 11/23/12 12:04 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I liked Stasler's article. I find I can quite often understand him when others leave me struggling.

I thought the comment:

Quote:
sweeping remarks are a sign of careless thinking

might well be applied to quite a lot of posts on various threads - sadly.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.