Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
what he says has nothing to do with what observation and experiment have shown to be the way the world works.

if you design your experiments to return desired results
and you also design your math to support those returned desired results , then how can you lose.

Quote:
the way the world works

and what would that be?

the world works according to which group of people?

it looks like the world works in many ways ( mostly BS )
the facts are that the fantasy realm has caused people
or forced people to learn ( mostly BS ) , and now they cant even
think straight.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Bill #46219 11/21/12 05:02 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
If force requires motion where is the motion?

force does require motion.

suppose you have hydraulic piston that can lift your car.

it cant lift your car unless the piston is allowed to move.

-------

when you are being accelerated towards the center of the earth
all day and all night as the earth rotates , the motion that
is the result of the force being applied by gravity , is your movement in a circular path vs a linear path.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #46220 11/21/12 05:48 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul

Sorry I couldn't resist to laugh at your usual paul physics .. lol

The walls of your house is under all sorts of forces and they are definitely not moving else your pea brain would be squashed about now :-)

Listen and think before you answer with utter stupidity.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
paul #46221 11/21/12 05:53 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
If force requires motion where is the motion?

suppose you have hydraulic piston that can lift your car.

it cant lift your car unless the piston is allowed to move.

-------

That's right. If the piston can't push harder than what the car weighs then the car won't move. That is if the piston doesn't exert enough force then the car won't move. Notice that force doesn't always cause movement. My feet pressing on the Earth exerts a force equal to my weight on the surface of the Earth. But that doesn't cause the surface of the Earth to move.

Give up Paul, go study some physics, maybe do some simple experiments, then figure out how things work.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
paul #46231 11/22/12 12:37 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Gravity is NOT a pulling Force. Gravity is a "Pushing" Force of Mass Expansion.
Earth Mass is Expanding at the Gravitational Acceleration rate of 9.808175174 m/s^2

That sounds like Mark Mc Cutcheon. Where did that come from, and what is it meant to establish?

There never was nothing.
paul #46232 11/22/12 12:44 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
gravity is pulling / accelerating you at a rate of 32.2 ft/s^2

that doesnt mean that you are falling that fast, thats just how fast that you would fall and accelerate as you are falling if there were nothing stopping you from falling.

I follow your line of reasoning there Paul; but you do seem to accept what we have been saying: something is "stopping you from falling". Ergo, you are not falling.

There never was nothing.
Orac #46233 11/22/12 01:47 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
well if it isnt saggs resident bad boy clown.

Quote:
In physics, a force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a certain change

no motion = no certain change

without motion a force is nothing.

force requires motion

your funny , only because your stupid.

if you were not so stupid and such an idiot , you wouldnt be so funny.

Bill S. #46234 11/22/12 01:48 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
There is a much more intuitive way you show it to a child with the following example

Walk up to a wall and push it as hard as you can. You know and can feel you are exerting a force but nothing is happening. So forces do not always result in motion they can be resisted.

The leap to understanding that the wall is creating an opposing force takes some further work so they understand what is happening when forces are resisted but at least they start with forces can be resisted.

Lets see if Paul can grasp what a child can that forces do not always lead to motion they can be resisted perhaps as a later exercise we can walk him thru that resistance to a force is done by creating a counter force.

Last edited by Orac; 11/22/12 01:49 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Orac #46235 11/22/12 01:55 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
The original form of Newton's second law states that the net force acting upon an object is equal to the rate at which its momentum changes.

no motion = no momentum changes.

force requires motion

Orac #46236 11/22/12 01:58 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Dillweed

your thinking about stress

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(physics)

Quote:
Stress is the way in which the force per unit area is spread out in a cross-section of an item that balances and reacts to external loads applied to a body.

paul #46237 11/22/12 02:42 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Paul, I'm just checking to make sure I'm not getting the wrong impression. Are you saying that stress does not necessarily involve motion, but force does?

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #46238 11/22/12 03:37 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Are you saying that stress does not necessarily involve motion, but force does?

not me , Physics says that , I didnt write Physics.

FORCE
Quote:
In physics, a force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a certain change, either concerning its movement, direction, or geometrical construction. It is measured with the SI unit of newtons and represented by the symbol F. In other words, a force is that which can cause an object with mass to change its velocity (which includes to begin moving from a state of rest), i.e., to accelerate, or which can cause a flexible object to deform. Force can also be described by intuitive concepts such as a push or pull. A force has both magnitude and direction, making it a vector quantity.

The original form of Newton's second law states that the net force acting upon an object is equal to the rate at which its momentum changes.[1] This law is further given to mean that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, is in the direction of the net force, and is inversely proportional the mass of the object. As a formula, this is expressed as:

F=ma
Force = mass x acceleration !!
no motion = no acceleration = no force !!

STRESS

Quote:
Stress is the way in which the force per unit area is spread out in a cross-section of an item that balances and reacts to external loads applied to a body. It is a second-order tensor with nine dimensions, but can be fully described with six dimensions due to symmetry in the absence of body moments. Stress is often broken down into its shear and normal components as these have unique physical significance. It often results from built up pressure due to the lack of an outlet.

I didnt write any of the above ( in quotes ), it was there when I looked it up.

paul #46239 11/22/12 04:52 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Paul you are wrong and STUPIDLY SO.

Read the first sentence of you own supposed counter

Quote:

Stress is the way in which the force per unit are is spread out in a cross-section of an item that balances and reacts to external loads applied to a body

Pretty sure they said force per unit area and no movement????????

A child get this so you are playing stupid troll games because you and your god dislike science ... grow up and get over it.

How you haven't been banned for trolling on a supposed science forum is beyond me and I remember why I left this forum but hey I might just decide to religious troll you and your pathetic god.

Last edited by Orac; 11/22/12 05:04 AM.

Orac #46240 11/22/12 02:38 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
Stress is the way in which the force per unit are is spread out in a cross-section of an item that balances and reacts to external loads applied to a body

Thanks Orac, that was the direction in which I was going in my more ponderous way.

I was also going mention that applying a "load" to a body involved force.

There never was nothing.
Orac #46241 11/22/12 02:47 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Diarrhea

Quote:
the wall is creating an opposing force

LOL

that interesting dillweed.

how does the wall create an opposing force you dimwitted little
brain fart.

Bill S. #46242 11/22/12 02:57 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Thanks Orac, that was the direction in which I was going in my more ponderous way.

I was also going mention that applying a "load" to a body involved force.

you can apply a force to an object , but only while the force that is being applied is in motion.

as soon as the force being applied is spread out and stops its motion because it is incapable of accelerating the object that
it is being applied to there is no longer a force being applied
there is only stress.

force requires motion.

according to physics and F=ma

what is it that you guys dont understand about acceleration?

Quote:
In physics, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a body changes with time.

F=ma not F=m

theres no acceleration so theres no force.
there is only stress.

lets check this using the above physics formula

using a wall that is being stressed by another object.
only the wall does not change its velocity.
so the wall is not accelerating.

f=ma

suppose the mass of the wall is 10,000 kg

f=10,000 x 0

10,000 x 0 ( because there is no acceleration ) = 0

therefore and thus f = 0

if f = 0 then there is no force.

its pretty simple stuff guys , you guys seem to be able
to grasp the fantasy stuff pretty easily
( because its all fake/fantasy ) but the slightest bit of
reality just puts you in a situation that renders you helpless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_Second_Law#Newton.27s_second_law

Quote:
In other words, if a body is accelerating, then there is a force on it.

paul #46243 11/22/12 04:13 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O

LOL

that interesting dillweed.

how does the wall create an opposing force you dimwitted little
brain fart.

ok genius try following how we teach 10 year olds probably beyond you but lets try it.

We now take a piece of ordinary newpaper and attach it to the wall between two brackets and get the kids to push on it.

It obviously tears and rips with their small force.

Now we roll another piece of paper into a roll and attach it to same bracket and get them to push and strangely they can't break it nor move the wall.

What they then understand is that the structure of the thing they are pushing on matters with its ability to resist force.

You can then show them wood, steel and a variaty of materials have different abilities to resist force and then show them what the structures look.

Pretty basic really dipstick ... concrete has an organized structure that as you try and deform from its organized pattern produces a force back against the pressure as do most organized structured materials.

However that is probably beyond your intelligence and I only offer it others who may be interested how we teach it.

There are many other sorts of forces besides motional force which you are getting you pea brain stuck around so perhaps we should send you to the kids page (http://www.zephyrus.co.uk/forcetypes.html) they list 9 types and they leave out complicated ones like nuclear.

Want to guess how many of those types of force involve moment Mr Physics genius.

You on the other hand probably have some divine GOD force that magically stops the wall from moving or doing anything. Of coarse you would have to explain how you measure a GOD force and its unit of measurement so anyone could understand it.

Last edited by Orac; 11/22/12 04:20 PM.

Orac #46244 11/22/12 04:22 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P

paul #46245 11/22/12 04:24 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
That the best you could come up with your GOD and it's divine force couldn't solve the problem for you I am disappointed.

Orac #46246 11/22/12 04:33 PM
Superstar
Superstar
Paul and Orac,
You are both taking this forum to a demeaning and immature level. I suggest you amend your ways. Calling names and exchanging grammar school level insults is offensive to the rest of the members of this forum and shows a huge lack of respect on both your parts. If you can't have a discussion like mature, responsible adults, don't post it.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.