Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
hurricane sandy and then snow on top of that.

I think it would be a great gesture if the Military would
move in some of the mobile power stations and set up several
heated tents.

this could get worse if correct measures are not taken to
avoid loss of life and / or limb.

its wet everywhere , no hot water , no dry clothes , no dry
blankets.

and soon no food!

there's no oil there but there are people in need.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
You're absolutely right Paul, but don't worry too much; if Obama visits them there will be enough hot air around to dry their cloths and blankets. laugh

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
talking about hot air , hows the royal family doing these days.

and whats the purpose in having a royal family anyway?

do they have any political power or anything like that
or are they like a show boat?

I'm not being assoholic I'm just curious.
you guys actually have a elected government right , not a king and queen or am I wrong on that?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Paul- Why is there no help for the people who have had such a hard time in the aftermath of Sandy? Surely Red Cross and volunteers are doing something to establish places that are warm and dry for them?

The military could definitely help, with things such as sanitation, electricity and heating. Maybe some of the people don't want to move away from the scene-- that seems to happen after disasters (and I think I would be like that), but sometimes it is necessary to move somewhere else until things settle down.

There's a lot more winter to come, and there will probably be more who need help before it's over. Let's hope things improve.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There is a lot being done to help them. The problem is the scope of the problem. Yesterday some electricians from Oklahoma power companies came home from the disaster area. They say the people there were hugely appreciative of their efforts. They were working 16 hour days trying to get power back on.

As far as other relief efforts are concerned a lot of organizations are working on it. The Red Cross is there, and there are others. From here in Oklahoma the Baptist disaster relief workers are there. They provide help with clearing out debris and hot meals for the people. So there is a lot of help, it is just that it takes a lot of work to get everything together.

There are some problems that are going to linger for much longer. I saw a story about the natural gas service in at least one community. The pipes were leaking all over so they had to shut off the gas to the whole town. Then to get the gas out of the pipes they flushed them with water. But now they are afraid the water may have damaged the pipes even more, so they may have to replace all of the pipes in town. That of course will be a huge job. So there just isn't any quick fix to take care of all the problems.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Thanks for that clarification Bill.

I must say I was surprised to read Paul's post. mostly because after a disaster in a country like the US, everyone usually wants to help. Sometimes though, what we may think would be a priority is not the thing that the people affected may want. I remember after the huge bush fires we had here some people wanted to live in or near the ruins of their houses. From the outside it looked crazy, from the inside it was probably the only way they felt able to maintain equilibrium.

As you say, unexpected glitches happen, particularly with the pipes that we so take for granted. If they don't work we have no gas, electricity, sewerage, water and so on. Then there is communication, public transport etc. It all takes time.

I hope the people affected by Sandy are all home at last, or in a comfortable environment soon, before the real winter starts.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I just saw a show on PBS "The Dust Bowl" a Ken Burns production. If you don't know about the dust bowl it happened during the 1930s while the depression was going on. There was a huge drought in the Southern Plains centered in the panhandle region of Oklahoma. It extended into the 4 states adjacent. During that time there were sand storms over and over and over. Some of them covered a width of 200 miles (320 km) and a mile (1.6 km) high. At their height they moved clear across the country and 300 miles off shore into the Atlantic. This kept up for something like 7 years. The area, which had been a major wheat growing area, became in effect a desert. But most of the people stayed there and toughed it out. Because that was home. This in spite of no income, dust pneumonia (caused by constant inhalation of dust) and all the other miseries of living in that climate. That is kind of like the people that want to stay near their homes after Sandy. People just naturally want to stick to home.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.