Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
EXTENSION OF THE PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION THREAD
George Gurgieff said: "A man will renounce any PLEASURE, but he will NOT give up his SUFFERING"--our many tears and broken hearts.
==========================================================
ABOUT GURGIEFF AND THE FOURTH WAY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gurdjieff

EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT ME: WHEN I ALLOW MY EGO TO HAVE ITS WAY WITH MY MIND AND MY BODY, PAIN AND SUFFERING OF MIND AND BODY IS BOUND TO FOLLOW.
====================================
In the 1960's I was a tobacco and sugar addict--on my way to becoming a neurotic, overweight and a diabetic, so I chose to do something about it. I knew I had to learn how to dissolve my ego by making the following three choices below.

The following is a summary of the twelve-step programs advocated by the AA programs. They are for all kinds of ego-based addictions, not just alcoholism:

1. I Choose to become a self-aware and a wide awake person--that is what I now call a pneuma being. I chose to become as aware as possible to what I was doing to myself, and others. I also chose to take personal responsibility for my life, in the NOW--as Eckhart Tolle tags it in his book, The Power of NOW.

2. I chose to stop being a selfish ego, and to tune in to my true and natural Being, or Nature, whatever one wants to call IT. See the note, below.

3. In tune with all Being, all Presence, whenever I felt uneasy and knew I was getting ill--physically and mentally--with the help of my conscious spirit (pneuma) I stepped back from what was going on in my painful body (soma) my noisy mind (psyche) and I paid attention to what was going on physically and mentally.

It took some time, study and experimenting, but this had a healing effect all over, and I was guided to find helpful doctors (medical and otherwise), teachers of helpful dietary and other programs, books, community groups and friends.

As I got results I also became very motivated to help others by setting up regular programs, not all by me, within the church community.

I soon became convinced thant anyone willing to practice the principles outlined here,for twenty-one days, will be amazed as the positive results and will be inspired to want to help others.
=========================================

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/05/12 04:53 AM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
EXTENSION OF THE PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION THREAD
George Gurgieff said: "A man will renounce any PLEASURE, but he will NOT give up his SUFFERING"--our many tears and broken hearts.
ABOUT GURGIEFF AND THE FOURTH WAY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gurdjieff

What distinguishes Gurdjieff, with his sacred dances and disappearing fourth way, from what you called selling snake oil in your references to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?

EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT ME: WHEN I ALLOW MY EGO TO HAVE ITS WAY WITH MY MIND AND MY BODY, PAIN AND SUFFERING OF MIND AND BODY IS BOUND TO FOLLOW.

How will you differentiate what the ego does and what you do as something other? How do you and your ego view the body differently, or how does ego become separate from you to where it becomes an entity of its own with its own ideas?
====================================

In the 1960's I was a tobacco and sugar addict--on my way to becoming a neurotic, overweight and a diabetic, so I chose to do something about it. I knew I had to learn how to dissolve my ego by making the following three choices below.

The following is a summary of the twelve-step programs advocated by the AA programs. They are for all kinds of ego-based addictions, not just alcoholism:

1. I Choose to become a self-aware and a wide awake person--that is what I now call a pneuma being. I chose to become as aware as possible to what I was doing to myself, and others. I also chose to take personal responsibility for my life, in the NOW--as Eckhart Tolle tags it in his book, The Power of NOW.

2. I chose to stop being a selfish ego, and to tune in to my true and natural Being, or Nature, whatever one wants to call IT. See the note, below.

3. In tune with all Being, all Presence, whenever I felt uneasy and knew I was getting ill--physically and mentally--with the help of my conscious spirit (pneuma) I stepped back from what was going on in my painful body (soma) my noisy mind (psyche) and I paid attention to what was going on physically and mentally.

It took some time, study and experimenting, but this had a healing effect all over, and I was guided to find helpful doctors (medical and otherwise), teachers of helpful dietary and other programs, books, community groups and friends.

As I got results I also became very motivated to help others by setting up regular programs, not all by me, within the church community.

I soon became convinced thant anyone willing to practice the principles outlined here,for twenty-one days, will be amazed as the positive results and will be inspired to want to help others.
What is the link between what you began this article with (George Gurdjieff and his idea of esoteric Christianity, with his sacred dance movements and disappearing fourth way method) and the AA twelve step program?

How do you separate ego from spirit and whether a desire or experience is destined to imbue the soul (IF you believe in Pneuma as a soul, or characteristic of soul) with the contrast to know what life's purpose is?

Have you decided what has God (or as you put it) G~O~D in it, and what has not got any G~O~D in it?
In other words if a person was to entertain the idea of evolution (either spiritual or physical) is there anything in life that does not have meaning or purpose and should automatically be rejected?

Seems many like to approach their lives with the idea of "If I were God" I would create my life and the world differently, in retrospect when one ruminates on their judgments of reality, (or in the middle of a [personal] crisis).

When it comes to the power of thought.. identified as positive or negative: Does the universe or ALL THAT IS divide itself (or all that is) into positives and negatives? Or is that just an ego based idea stemming from the humans point of reference in reality and self?

If all that is, isn't something..., and ego stands outside of all that is... Then how did ego become what it is?

Who is choosing to identify what ego is and what is not?

IF Whatever is choosing to end suffering recognizes what suffering is, but attaches itself to its own ideas of what the cause is, and that differs from the opinions of others and their ideas of suffering, how is suffering and its cause eliminated?

Seems there have been numerous proselytizers who have prescribed the cure for what ails you but then no single cure is ever absorbed or put into practice when there are so many opinions of what the problem is, (if there is one) with life.

Perhaps mans biggest ill, is that one thinks that there is a problem and it is all because of lack of understanding with life and the way it is perceived.

"When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty." -Gospel of Thomas-

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
If it works for me, or him, or her; why knock it just because it doesn't work, or you don't want it to work, or cannot let it work for you?

There never was nothing.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
I just noticed this "NEWS" item here on this page. Interesting! But what are the facts?
============================
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20061027232826data_trunc_sys.shtml

I am one who believes that naturopaths and allopaths need to work together for the public good--and I have been helped by both. This item poses so many questions by all concerned. For example, who will do the research? I will be interested in reading any answers to the important questions.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
If it works for me, or him, or her; why knock it just because it doesn't work, or you don't want it to work, or cannot let it work for you?
That was partly what I wanted to bring forward, when The Reverend insisted that he would choose to believe what his close friend told him about Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, when he (the Reverend) claimed that MMY sold snake oil. If it worked for so many others, why would he make a claim to something he had no experience with, in the practice of Transcendental Meditation?
Why would he choose to believe his friend when others of note who practice it, claim otherwise?

It also prompts a query into the idea of accepting testimony for something you have no experience with.

Just because you like someone or dislike someone, why would the reality of what is spoken of be accepted or rejected?

If the attachment to surface appearances creates the barriers to the underlying reality of life, then how does one gain clear perception of reality or direct experience?

Does one just decide to have clear perception and gain it, or does one gain clear perception in another way?

Can you hypnotize yourself into experiencing something you have no familiarity with, or do you first become experientially familiar with something before letting go of the ignorance surrounding the reality of life or a subject within it?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.