Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45895 10/29/12 01:43 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Well, actually it is really working in Sweden. phys.org: Sweden wants Norway's trash (and lots of it)
It seems that Sweden has gotten itself in a minor bind. It's recycling program is working so well that only about 1% of its waste winds up in a landfill. But they now don't have enough trash to burn in their trash to energy power plants. So they are importing trash from other countries, particularly Norway. This helps both countries. Talk about good management.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
We recently had a change in our local recycling scheme which was supposed to mean that very little went to landfill. Since the change about 50% more has been going to landfill. Something has to be wrong with someone's thinking. Perhaps Sweden would like some of our rubbish. They could start with the Government.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
Superstar
Sounds like somebody goofed. The goal is to reduce landfill filling up, not increase it. Someone needs to take a long, hard look at what they are doing with their waste that so much ends up in landfill. There are ways to recycle that reduce the net amount of stuff going to the landfill. We don't have many recycling options in our neck of the woods. Everything goes to the landfill, from baby diapers to plastic and glass containers to newspaper and magazines. Any recycling would be an improvement. There is a place that takes aluminium, but it is only open certain days of the week; there is a place that accepts recyclable papers but I don't know where it is. As much bottled water and iced tea as is sold around here you'd think there would be a place to take plastics, but I haven't found one yet. I guess it's a matter of where you live as to what services you have available. At least you are fortunate enough to have a recycling scheme.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Here is Tulsa we now have a pretty good recycling program. We have had one for years. First there were places where you could drop off paper, plastic, and aluminum. Then they offered curbside recycling for an extra fee. Now we have a new waste management system with a new company. Recycling is included with the trash collection. They also expanded the things that can be recycled, and I hope they will increase it even more. We now have 2 city provided trash bins, one gray for trash and garbage and one blue for recyclables. I personally have just about as much in the recycle bin as I have in the trash bin, so I think I am doing pretty good . Of course that is no where near the level they have in Sweden.

Of course this doesn't get everybody recycling. A lot of people refuse to recycle because "the city is trying to force them to do it". I don't see the problem. You have a recycle bin, all you have to do is drop your recyclables in it and put it out on the curb each week. That doesn't seem to be too big a job.

Of course a lot of people got really upset with the new system, since it is different from the old system that worked wonderfully for 14 years.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
We also have the two bins plus another one for green waste. This waste is then mulched up by the council and is sold for home gardeners , or is used on the council maintained parks and gardens, (of course a lot of people make their own compost but sometimes you can't treat it all).

We used to have regular 'hard' rubbish collections for things that don't fit the recyclable bin, but they have now gone. As a result there has been an increase in unwanted furniture etc being dumped elsewhere, as there is now a charge to use the tip to leave such rubbish there. There is also a shop at the tip, which replaced a time honoured Aussie custom of picking through the neighbour's rubbish on hard rubbish night!

The idea was that we would dispose of such items ourselves, but it has been a bit of a failure. Now the council has to clear the rubbish from the countryside rather than from a neatly stacked pile outside the houses (which was sort of free as it was included in the rates).

Like Bill says, the old system was fine! Perhaps we all have too much 'stuff'!

Last edited by Ellis; 11/01/12 01:21 AM.
M
M
I am astonished at the amount of plastic and metal we generate in a week. I know I could have less trash if I canned more things myself. But between the amount we can take to the recycle bin and what else goes out to the compost pile/chicken buffet, we don't have too much to set out for pickup. Unfortunately our trash service won't agree to just pick up half time for half price.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.