Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
As a follow-up of the 'Philodophy of Religion' thread,THIS THREAD IS OUR OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE AND ASK ABOUT the following factors which, in my opinion, outline who we are.
Link to info about ECKHART TOLLE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

As I see it, we are a complex combination of: The Soma, Psyche and Pneuma factors--the Greek for Body, Mind and Spirit. With the help of the writings of Echart Tolle (2004), let us explore what he tells us,
Quote:
"Until my thirtieth year, I lived in a state of almost continuous anxiety interspersed with periods of suicical depression. It feels now as if I am talking about some past lifetime or somebody else's life..." See his book, The Power of NOW, p.3.
This comment inspires me to ask many questions but, for now, I will limit the number to the following few:

1)Anxiety and depression. Who among us, at one time or another, has not felt very anxious and/or depressed?

2)Right now, is there any among us who lives in a state of being that is one of almost continuous anxiety; one of absolute dread, and is utterly devoid of meaning and peace of mind? Anyone?

3)Anyone who has been through the same kind of crisis as described by Tolle, below, and who now has some idea what it means to be conscious of the NOW? In addition, I ask:

3)Has anyone among us ever gone through the kind of mysterious and intense experience as that described by Echart (p.5):
Quote:
I knew, of course, that something profoundly significant had happened to me, but I did not understand it at all...until several years later...the intense pressure of suffering...What was left then was my true nature as the ever-present I am...consciousness in its pure state...Later I also learned to go into that timeless and deathless realm...states of indescribable bliss...a time came when I was left with nothing...no relationships, no job, no home, no socially defined identity. I spent almost two years sitting on a park bench in a state of the most intense joy. But even the most beautiful experiences come and go...But the undercurrent of peace has never left me...Before I knew it, I had an external identity again. I had become a spiritual teacher...
4) Is there anyone reading this above who relates to the Tolle's story, and who has become fully conscious of the NOW?

5) How can we become fully, and truly, conscious and spiritual beings--ones beyond being puppets manipulated by the mind and the body--the source of our pain and suffering?

6) Over and over again, Tolle makes the point that, "We are not just minds and bodies..." What do you think he means by this? This following link will help you:

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/840..._attempted=true

Last edited by Revlgking; 10/17/12 02:34 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
THIS THREAD IS OUR OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE AND ASK ABOUT the following factors which, in my opinion, outline who we are.
What factors are you speaking of, that are universal or pervasive within the reality of humanity and not derived from opinion or time related beliefs of past or current scientific or religious understanding?
Would a person of evolving conscious awareness hold themselves to factors derived from lesser states of consciousness?
Do the following descriptions or conditions (within your questions) refer to your opinion of who we (however you define we) are?

1)Anxiety and depression. Who among us, at one time or another, has not felt very anxious and/or depressed?

Contrast to peace is what gives one the experience in differences. Anxiety is not necessarily the precursor to enlightenment or liberation. One can have a happy carefree life and then rise above that experience into the bliss of the Now.

Idealists imagine perfection according their understanding. Regardless of experience in the relative, if ones life has been directed to relative boundaries or even the imagination of infinity, it still won't equal the mind when it steps out of the relative and tastes the infinite which is beyond the limits of the ego and its habitual landmarks of identification with the present life as it is perceived..

2)Right now, is there any among us who lives in a state of being that is one of almost continuous anxiety; one of absolute dread, and is utterly devoid of meaning and peace of mind? Anyone?

When asking this question do you propose that whatever the experience one is having that is devoid of peace, is not meaningful or without utility and purpose? Is it possible to live a life where there are absolutely no moments of peace or is it just a sweeping statement that one makes where one ignores all the times when one does not identify with suffering according to the personal definitions of suffering?

3)Anyone who has been through the same kind of crisis as described by Tolle, below, and who now has some idea what it means to be conscious of the NOW?
Yes there are many. And they don't recognize reality as being critical, only that there are critical judgments. Ergo there are no real crisis' in life, just distortions of perception due to the stress within the nervous system.
In addition, I ask:

3)Has anyone among us ever gone through the kind of mysterious and intense experience as that described by Echart (p.5):
Quote:
I knew, of course, that something profoundly significant had happened to me, but I did not understand it at all...until several years later...the intense pressure of suffering...What was left then was my true nature as the ever-present I am...consciousness in its pure state...Later I also learned to go into that timeless and deathless realm...states of indescribable bliss...a time came when I was left with nothing...no relationships, no job, no home, no socially defined identity. I spent almost two years sitting on a park bench in a state of the most intense joy. But even the most beautiful experiences come and go...But the undercurrent of peace has never left me...Before I knew it, I had an external identity again. I had become a spiritual teacher...
4) Is there anyone reading this above who relates to the Tolle's story, and who has become fully conscious of the NOW?
What are you relating to?
Your first two questions have to do with suffering, and you include the story of suffering as a precursor to the experience of the absolute Self because that's the way Tolle sells his story.
It appeals to the judgments in suffering and the mind that is dissatisfied with the present moment.

Would you determine whether one experienced the now based on their descriptions of the experience?
Are you basing your idea of finding relief from anxiety as becoming more spiritual?

Do you believe those who experience the now do not experience pain or anxiety?
Scripture tells us that enlightenment is not the removal of ones perceptions from the relative world with all of the human feeling that is built into the human mechanism.

On another note. Because Tolle describes his experience as intense, does that mean the now is intense? Consciousness is not bound by the attachments that the ego prescribes to any thought feeling or action. It can create and have an experience. Like thoughts, thoughts translate into feelings and experiences as action thru the senses, like stepping into a hot tub of water and feeling an intense sensation but then having the feeling subside into a different experience.
The Now cannot be captured by any one experience. Bliss is more akin to the removal of the senses attachment to the relative and having the awareness of something much bigger than ones sense orientation to measures of intensity.

If you were continually bombarded with the sensory world in the roller coaster of feelings that are sometimes good or bad, to find a still island, removed from the roller coaster could be called bliss. Observance of the relative from this place would be called clear perception.

5) How can we become fully, and truly, conscious and spiritual beings--ones beyond being puppets manipulated by the mind and the body--the source of our pain and suffering?

One does not become a spiritual being. One is a spiritual being.

Being aware of it requires the understanding and experience that you are not a puppet to anything outside of your own choices/thoughts and veiled beliefs that cloud any ability to see and experience life clearly. Suffering comes from the attachment to the identifications of the personal relative world and the judgments that separate you from what you want to call God, and all that is. When you measure the world around you and place more of what you like into the idea of God you create evil. This is not something consciousness or the now does with itself, its what human belief does in its perceptions of consciousness.

6) Over and over again, Tolle makes the point that, "We are not just minds and bodies..." What do you think he means by this? This following link will help you:

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/840..._attempted=true

How it helps you is relative to how far you want to take your awareness. Rearranging your thoughts temporarily will give you temporary satisfaction, but the mind situated in the relative, entertaining its ideas of being in the relative world will still weigh the experiences of like and dislike, good and evil in its mind all the time wanting to think that none of it is real. This does not do anything other than create more stress in the nervous system as one tries to push all that one does not want away and isolate ones self in the neighborhood of good thoughts and experiences. One cannot change the experience of the world around ones self without changing the experience of ones self.

For example:
Quote:

“If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.”
Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

How does one translate the experience of this as it is being described, thru the mind that does not have the experience?
If someone told you when you were a child what it was like to be an adult, would you know what it was like to be an adult and be prepared to handle your adult world without actually going thru the adult experiences?

The Selling of enlightenment often promises an end to suffering. It is the Suffering that most relate to as the evil in ones life. One imagines a new experience where all anxiety is removed and one lives in constant bliss.

Tolle describes the mind when it visits this state of bliss and then returns to tell the story. He can't tell you how he got there, only that he just had the experience. What he sells is the idea of an altered state of being. What those who sell Tolle do is to sell their interpretation of Tolle. Like the Christians sell their interpretation of their thoughts of Jesus the Christ.

For those that have a brief experience with an altered state of consciousness, an idea that some cast is that it is an enlightened experience, and that means one is enlightened. Similar to the God experience that some project.

Being able to shift the awareness from the relative to the absolute Now requires a familiarity with consciousness or the NOW, not the projection of ideals.

Some fall into it like Tolle, or describe similar experiences to Tolle like Andrew Cohen, some are born into it like Krishnamurti or Mother Mira Alfassa, but somewhere (in some life) they did the work.
If you read Cohen, he won't paint the pretty picture of gaining enlightenment thru just thinking about like Tolle does even tho his awakening was similar in having the experience of reaching the bottom. IF that was the theme then everyone would prescribe that suffering was the way to enlightenment. Religion tried that and it didn't gain much popularity.
Quote:
What Type of Meditation Does Eckhart Tolle Recommend?

Tolle is not known to promote any form of meditation. He believes that the most essential part of understanding his message is to simply stay “present” or in his own words “Stay in the now”. Instead of following practices or techniques, which are “mind” based, he suggests that we stay in place of relaxed allowing, where the “now” is allowed to be instead of fighting against it to reach a better state.
-outofstress.com-

Since Tolle does not have a method and simply points toward his own experience of having reached the bottom of the pit in his experience with no where to go but up. Any interpretation of how to get there based on his thoughts are going to be subjective to ones own beliefs and projected ideals rather than their own experiences as long as they are selling Tolle.

If you haven't had or shared his particular experience, then trying to imagine what it is like to be enlightened does little to raise the experience from the familiarity that is one of being self oriented in the relative.

There are plenty who imagine the relative life to be as good as it gets, and are happy to accept the world as it is, with all of its suffering. To them Enlightenment is no different than imagining an afterlife prescribed by religion.

What is enlightenment? Can you imagine the goal if you have not achieved it, or just throw darts at an imaginary target which changes with your perceptions as you evolve?

And finally:

Is it possible to gain enlightenment reading a book or even a thousand books? How would you know?
Do you know anyone who got enlightened reading books?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
From Wiki:
Tolle recalls going out for a walk in London the next morning, and finding that “everything was miraculous, deeply peaceful. Even the traffic."[9] The feeling continued, and he began to feel a strong underlying sense of peace in any situation.[5] Tolle stopped studying for his doctorate, and for a period of about two years after this he spent much of his time sitting, “in a state of deep bliss," on park benches in Russell Square, Central London, "watching the world go by.” He stayed with friends, in a Buddhist monastery, or otherwise slept rough on Hampstead Heath. His family thought him “irresponsible, even insane."[11] Tolle changed his first name from Ulrich to Eckhart, by some reports in homage to the German philosopher and mystic, Meister Eckhart,[7][8][12] by other reports he was drawn to that name coincidentally.[13]

Why is this significant?
Does one aspire to have this type of experience or to live their lives as he did wandering about?

Or is it his fame that people are drawn to?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

K
K
I had achieved the state of nirvana for a couple of years. Then, I decided to experience life and rejoined the human race.

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Yep, like getting back to work after the holidays

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.