Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 100 of 120 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 119 120
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
It would go nicely with the record for the most ignored topic on SAGG.

So many hits,...so little interest and so few posters.. sleep
So a small-minded genius (?) continues to hope and pray for the failure of others. SAD!

Me? I was hoping we really did have a truly agape-kind of genius among us. I'm shocked shocked! and sad to report that we do not.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
So a small-minded genius (?) continues to hope and pray for the failure of others. SAD!

Not hardly. Just hoping the topic will show a change when you decide not to make it just about you and your need for attention.
You keep advertizing the fact that YOU started this topic (as sad as you may be regarding its obvious failure to draw any serious contributors) and that it has had X number of hits. I merely state the obvious. The fact that YOU started it, and the fact that it has X number of hits, does not change the fact that there is very little interest regardless of how many people drive by without stopping. You could blame it on people like me if you wanted to but of you look at the numbers before I got involved or even when I took leave of this topic for a period, very little of the conversation took a direction towards the topic at hand. In fact you seem to take it more off topic than most, to try and steer the conversation towards you and your history of self proclaimed accomplishments dropping names here and there of people you would like to claim close association.

I can accept the fact that you once had the attention of those of whom you stood before on the pulpit. Those that were of a mind to give you the attention you must have gotten used to, and I can understand your sadness and the shock that seems to overcome you now in the absence of the adoration of your flock as you once knew it to be. But then I guess it's time to see the light and get on with life where others might experience that it's not about you and your opinions.

Me? I was hoping we really did have a truly agape-kind of genius among us. I'm shocked shocked! and sad to report that we do not.
Well then. Shocked and sad tho you may be. Perhaps it is a sign that something has to change regarding the topic and the subjective repetitive sidelining towards your personal opinion.
Love of God is not conditional. Sometimes it inspires us to get over ourselves. But if you are looking for that loving feeling, and that is what you want God to be about. Then I suggest you go back to the Church and seek others who would wish to make God a religion regarding good feelings and unity of belief, rather than a God of Universal proportions that goes beyond the personal opinion and the personal shock and disappointment that comes with the attachment to the personal belief system.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
And now for something On Topic:
New Bible translation has screenplay format

http://news.yahoo.com/bible-translation-screenplay-format-085746946.html

Megastar
Megastar
BTW, TT, have you ever stopped for a moment to think: YOU are an important protagonist in the interesting drama that is going on here?

Perhaps it is what YOU write, not so much what I write, that is attracting so many readers. It is those genius-like, code-based and brain-numbing posts of yours. Readers keep coming back to see how all protagonists respond, and to see if they, as readers, can break the code. smile

BTW, I am also enjoying the drama at WonderCafe.ca http://www.wondercafe.ca/users/inannawhimsey

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
BTW, TT, have you ever stopped for a moment to think: YOU are an important protagonist in the interesting drama that is going on here?
Don't you mean lack of drama? Tho you're the number one contributor and self proclaimed subject of interest within this thread, there is much evidence to the fact that the majority of those who come here lack an interest to participate.

However, importance is relative. All things have their place in the scheme of things.

Some are enamored with the idea that they deserve the attention, and not so much with the world around them or the people in it.

Perhaps it is what YOU write, not so much what I write, that is attracting so many readers.

The idea was posted that there is a lack of attraction, which is why there are so many hits and no posts. That was the reason you gave for your shock and disappointment, remember?
However I won't discount the possibility that there may be an interest in what I have to say outside of the general need for instant gratification and one liners that so easily stimulate the simple minded personality.
It is those genius-like, code-based and brain-numbing posts of yours. Readers keep coming back to see how all protagonists respond, and to see if they, as readers, can break the code. smile
I don't seem to fail so easily the mind that has extended itself beyond the come, fetch and sit command.
I think you assume that just because your mind can't keep up, that no one else can. Probably due to the lack of focus on the subject at hand, and the desperate need for attention and validation for the personal and changing opinions (So often repeated in every post of yours).

BTW, I am also enjoying the drama at WonderCafe.ca http://www.wondercafe.ca/users/inannawhimsey

A plug for one the many sites you advertize the definitions of G~O~D, along with your personal biography of self proclaimed fame and glory?

Do you think you might ever really add something on topic here, rather than to advertize yourself and your conversations on other websites in this and other threads in SAGG?

Megastar
Megastar
To GdB--a friend at www.centerforinquiry.net
I asked him:
ABOUT COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY
and the work of the late George A Miller, who just died. Interestingly, educated as a behaviourist, Miller became an early proponent of cognitive therapy--very similar to what I call, pneumatherapy.
BTW, in the last few days I did pneuma sessions with several clients (no fees) who called the FLF office.
===========================================
Now FOR BASIC INFO ABOUT G.A. MILLER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Armitage_Miller

I asked friends--not all are--at CFI: What do you know about cognitive therapy? I also asked: Your thoughts, please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_psychology
=================================================
Signature--revised version--I use there:

I think of myself as being free to be, or not to be--a G~0~D~like being, in G~O~D--infinite being. I choose to have enough WILLpower to do all the Good, Opportune & Desirable things possible. I choose to use this WILLpower, wisely. I am also free NOT to do so, smile. Check out profile http://www.lindsayking.ca for bio.
==================================

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/04/12 02:37 AM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
Megastar
As I have said before: As persons, we are free to be, or not to be. That is, we are free to be, or not to be, G~0~D~like beings who have our being in G~O~D--infinite being.

Each of us, including atheists, using the gift of WILLpower, have the power to choose, or not to choose, to do all that is Good, Opportune & Desirable.

With this in mind I offer the following rhyme:

RED, YELLOW AND BLUE
Every morn when I arise, the first thing that I do
Is look at the primary colours:
RED
YELLOW &
BLUE
Viewing these colours inspires me to say:
I am, I know and I do.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
As I have said before: As persons, we are free to be, or not to be. That is, we are free to be, or not to be, G~0~D~like beings who have our being in G~O~D--infinite being.

Always the relative ideals of what it means to be human is measured within the concepts of how we view reality. That weighed against the beliefs in what God is also determines what we choose to accept as reality. We can choose to be wealthy and find ourselves living in squalor, struggling to find a way to make ends meet.
In reality we find that there are differences in the way we see, hear and experience life from the ego. Some find it easy to make what they will of themselves and the world and others, not so much.

The foundation of belief will determine what we accept and how far our reach is. History shows us that for the most part our humanity has chosen to let God be in charge when we choose to become religious and to give away our destiny to a power greater than that of our own determination.
Primarily this is because of our own failures to accomplish goals that we set in our lives, as well as the experience of our human frailty, where sickness comes to us regardless of how we choose to take care of ourselves or whether we choose to be healthy or not.

Choice is always a part of reality.
Knowing who we are and what God is, prepares those who wish to make a stand and to the power we choose to claim and to the success or failures we experience when we make a choice when relating to God. Having a stable experience that doesn't change, but rather follows us thru the changes we experience is often wiser than trying to grasp at the changing meanings and experiences when trying to define ourselves, or God and any relationship we might think we have.

Each of us, including atheists, using the gift of WILLpower, have the power to choose, or not to choose, to do all that is Good, Opportune & Desirable.

As children we desire candy and toys. As adults our desires don't change much.. The candy is substituted for caviar and the toys get more expensive when we desire to have houses and cars.. Whether we are stable enough to commit to the desire and whatever it takes to achieve what we desire in the relative is always subject to our ambitions and our beliefs, then progress often makes it way towards achieving the goals we set. Some are wanting to give, and others to take. Some want recognition and fame, others not so much. No one person is the same as another and there has never been one mold for all of humanity. Trying to make sweeping statements that are absolute never have stood for very long in the minds of man. Every belief changes with time.

Religionists and Atheists are not that different than each other when they choose to set their minds to a desire. When psychological points of reference are unconscious, and when the surface of the mind wanders in the imagined or in the illusions created from stories that are spun from the imagination of others, we dream and choose to be princes and princesses in a world that we experience as something other than a kingdom of princes and princesses..

With this in mind I offer the following rhyme:

RED, YELLOW AND BLUE
Every morn when I arise, the first thing that I do
Is look at the primary colours:
RED
YELLOW &
BLUE
Viewing these colours inspires me to say:
I am, I know and I do.
I am..
The ego builds its boundaries where the universe has none, other than those we self impose.
I know..
When the ego closes the doors to the open universe it stands in a box with boundaries. For the human, to know something is always measured against what is taught. We are taught to think in a box.
I Do...
History has its share of doers and self proclaimed heroes. Yet we are still living in the world where our humanity and our gods are defined by our state of mind.

Few ever surrender to the greater reality that exists outside of their self made systems of measure. Therefore their will can only demand illusions that are derived from illusions...

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
On and on.....same old same old. Boring!!!

Where's the science - even the "not quite science"?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
On another note: Since you favor Baumaster as your latest guru, and having tauted your new philosophical adherence to Tolle's writings of the "Now" prior to you new fascination with "willing the now to be the future in the now".. Have you ever wondered how psychologists treat religion and God?

When you pair willpower with the idea of being Godly or in your determination G~O~D~ly, where the acronym defines ones God and ones relationship with it, how many ways can humanity create the idea? Would you will yourself to agree with all of them as the potential that exists in the human psyche to project what they desire as good, divine, orderly or opportunistic? Or will you will yourself to agree to disagree?

In a universe of diversity where you like to plead to the atheist ego who defines itself as non agreeable to your definitions and acronyms of God. And where your ego has wrapped itself around an acronym that you so love to present as the blessed package of possibility, at the doorstep of the castle walls you have designed as your interpretation of atheism. Who is talking to who?
Do you imagine they are who they are or do you know each person you refer to and what they know and believe?

Evolutionary Psychology and the Existence of God

Evolutionary Psychology has the influence and star qualities Behaviorism had in the 1940’s and 1950’s for the practice of psychology. It seems that using the lens of natural selection to describe human behavior continues to grow, while the more classical ideas of the mind, human freedom, and non-deterministic theories have become passé. The work of such thinkers as Pascal Boyer, Justin Barrett, and Steven Pinker have brought the evolutionary approach for understanding human behavior into every conceivable element of psychological inquiry. This also includes the phenomenon of religion.

Atheists have to contend with the fact that every culture in the world has a natural proclivity toward religion. Atheism in a sense is learned later, early on human beings have a religious sense about them. The smallest tribe in the remotest part of the world has ideas concerning the divine, the after-life, and the mystical. Of course, a number of Evolutionary Psychologists would contend the reason for this system of belief is that there is an adaptive quality being served and therefore belief is important to the gene pool for survival. Other Evolutionary Psychologists propose that even if there is no adaptive purpose for this belief, then the belief in such a thing as “God” is merely a byproduct of other neurological adaptive processes. Regardless of their reasons, they dismiss the phenomenon as being nothing more than the result of adaption through the process of natural selection. Evolutionary Psychologists carry the banner of the famous “pseudo-atheist” Voltair who claimed “If God did not exist; it would be of necessity that he be created.”

-Dominick Hankle (Assistant Professor of Psychology in the School of. Psychology and Counseling at Regent University)

Psychology, is it science or religion?

If one makes up God as often as you do Reverend, what's to say we as individuals do not make up who we believe others are, who they might be as we would like them to be, and following those thoughts... create our dialogue in the function and fashion that suits the imagination of who and what we will into experience?

According to ancient scripture in the philosophy of Advaita Vedanta (non duality) there is only ever one person in the room. That would be the one witness to reality. Individuals may share common threads to the concept of reality as it is projected and witnessed, but no two people ever experience anything exactly the same.

Physics has similarly stated that the world observed is first manufactured in the mind and then created as the experience. This agrees with ancient Vedic philosophy in the idea that we create each other to fit in the spaces we create where we believe in both light and darkness, or evil and good. We set the stage and we fill it with what we imagine life to be. When you believe Good has an opposite, then you will find it in the contrast upon the stage you have set for yourself.
Without changing your self, whatever you attempt to rearrange or change in the appearances of the outer world will find their way back to what you hold to be real within the mind. All of your subconscious finds its way to the surface of the mind.
As you make the attempts to throw affirmations and to hypnotize the surface of the mind, the subconscious will reveal itself in your thoughts and beliefs, even if you have boarded the doors and windows of your house and never come out to face them.

What a preacher then preaches is either universal or personal, being that the psychologist is the preacher, the scientist is the preacher or the one tooting their own horn regarding the self proclamation of title, self accomplishment..., or however one measures their worth against what is created by or with their God, and what is NOT.

Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Where does science or a scientist tolerate the proposition of God if it is not in the judgment and the accusations that "IT" Cannot be fit into the scientific box and preached by the scientific preacher?

I guess everyone needs some kind of entertainment.. or they complain of being bored.

By the way how are we defining NQS? is that a topic that is not at all related to science, slightly related to science, or mostly related to science? And who gets to make the judgment call as the representative of Science over all opinions and ideas about what is relevant to science?

Sorry Bill but I just get this sense that you're not really interested in any of this but just wanted to make a complaint because you were bored, rather than starting out all excited and then becoming bored after coming to read this thread. After all, you've not exactly been an eager participant on this topic.

C'mon admit it, you were bored when you moused over this topic and pushed down on that mouse button. wink

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
It's all a matter of interpretation.

Alice makes a statement which originates in her personal perception of reality. Bob hears the words that Alice says, but his interpretation is grounded in his own perception.

Who can say if Bob understands what Alice really means?

I suspect the answer is “nobody”.

To have such understanding one would have to have intimate knowledge of the psyche of both Alice and Bob. Yet, neither Alice nor Bob can have such knowledge.

How could any third person have such information?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: TT
And who gets to make the judgment call as the representative of Science over all opinions and ideas about what is relevant to science?

Does any one have to make a "judgement call" before someone can ask a question about a particular topic?

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
And who gets to make the judgment call as the representative of Science over all opinions and ideas about what is relevant to science?
Does any one have to make a "judgement call" before someone can ask a question about a particular topic?
Thanks for your question, Bill. BTW Bill, May I ask: Do you have any idea what it is that TT is trying to accomplish and what he is talking about? If so, enlighten me.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Do you have any idea what it is that TT is trying to accomplish and what he is talking about?

The meaning of this sort of pseudo esoteric circumlocution is, as I observed, all a question of personal interpretation. The fact that you are able to ask this question indicates that you are aware of the elusive nature of meaning, and its dependence on the psyche. To seek any sort of third party elucidation, however, is to delude oneself that the deepest personal perception has an objective reality.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It's all a matter of interpretation.
exactly, and everyone wants to be right, or interpret correctly

Not necessarily, one can make a judgment after the question comes to an answer. However I think in this case there was a judgment being cast regarding the thread and its past as you interpret it:

If you get my drift...

The meaning of this sort of pseudo esoteric circumlocution is, as I observed, all a question of personal interpretation. The fact that you are able to ask this question indicates that you are aware of the elusive nature of meaning, and its dependence on the psyche. To seek any sort of third party elucidation, however, is to delude oneself that the deepest personal perception has an objective reality.

Ah, the what can't be seen doesn't exist scenario. Whereas what can be seen and experienced and agreed upon is real.

Here then, the I know, I am and I do becomes a democratic agreement upon the universal construct, due to the weakness in the personal measure of ones self.
Validation them becomes key not only to what is real, but if ones self is real.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Ah, the what can't be seen doesn't exist scenario. Whereas what can be seen and experienced and agreed upon is real.

Thanks TT. That's a great example of the point I was making about intended meaning an interpretation, and how far one may be from the other. Did you do it on purpose, or is it a case of over confidence in your own interprettion?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Thanks TT. That's a great example of the point I was making about intended meaning an interpretation, and how far one may be from the other. Did you do it on purpose, or is it a case of over confidence in your own interpretation?

I think you have your own thoughts, which in turn inspired the above response by you, that I quote in this post.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
May I ask: Do you have any idea what it is that TT is trying to accomplish and what he is talking about? If so, enlighten me.

Why not start with what it is you are trying to accomplish Reverend.

I think there might be a few besides myself that have an interest in what you're using SAGG for, as long as you are citing reason and goals for being here.

Perhaps you might even have an idea why you were born on Earth at this time and what it is that you are supposed to accomplish that is in reference to your G~O~D. smile

Then we can compare to see whether there can be a standard in which a democratic decision can be made to the worth of each individual life, since you favor self interests as the necessity to gain title and a sense of accomplishment.

Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Thanks TT. That's a great example of the point I was making about intended meaning an interpretation, and how far one may be from the other. Did you do it on purpose, or is it a case of over confidence in your own interpretation?
Bill S, by now you have no doubt discovered how "humble" some geniuses are? wink

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Still waiting Rev...

Page 100 of 120 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.