Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4550 11/21/05 03:59 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
It has been proven that monkeys and some other animals can communicate with humans using words. I have therefore hypothesised that all animals think in words. However, instead of symbols or sounds they may see or hear their own equivalents, but the concept is still the same. e.g. A domestic cat can have a picture of a litter box in place of the word toilet which humans would see as the word toilet spelled out. This brings me to a sub - hypothesis that words and grammar don't form the way you think, in fact they are a mirror image of the way your brain works. Any objections?

#4551 11/21/05 08:04 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Rob,

You may want to try Steven Pinker's 'The Language Instinct'.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#4552 11/24/05 02:00 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
I wonder how I could prove my hypothesis...

#4553 11/24/05 06:21 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Illiterate Medieval serfs could recognize heraldry - sometimes their lives depended on it. Head Start can get slum bunnies to echo "I want my rights!" after a few years of intensive training, practice, and free feeding (like training pigeons in a Skinner box). Language is more than semiotics. You speak a language when you can create something new within it.

Penny Patterson and Coco the gorilla (actual name: Hanabi-Ko; grandiloquent propagandistic spew) can converse in sign language. The gorilla made some headlines for telling Penny about a nasty toothache. Coco hasn't written a trashy novel, drawn images, or created music. Cracking a nut with a rock is not the same thing as building a doorway as an arch,

http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/arch.htm

When the gorilla makes puns and apolgizes for them, that's animal use of language.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.