Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45399 09/14/12 12:36 AM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
the mayan long count calendar for 12 bactun
has or had a 5125 year cycle
in the year 46 BC the use of a leap year started

2012 + 46 = 2058 years of leap year inclusion

2058 / 4 = 514 days before 12-21-2012

therefore and thus the mayan calendar ended in july of 2011 !!

the myan long count calendar is now in 13 bactun !! we survived...

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #45407 09/14/12 01:01 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Every time someone predicts the date of the end of the world, God pushes the date back a little just to be funny.

True story we are best mates.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
paul #45409 09/14/12 03:33 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
God (per se) didn't really predict the end of the world.. so God doesn't need to push the end dates back for superstitious predictions that have no reality with God.

According to current Mayan Elders, there was never any prediction for the end of the world referenced by any Mayan Calendar.

http://www.seri-worldwide.org/id435.html

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Hindu_Cosmology.htm
Vishnunabhi: Yugas and Galactic Center

One of the oldest writings in Vedic literature comes from a pseudo-historical god-man called Manu. René Guénon pointed out that Manu belongs to a family of related archetypal figures, which include Melchezidek, Metatron, St Michael, Gabriel, and Enoch. As an angelic inspiration for the rebirth of humanity at the dawn of a new era, or Manvantara, Manu is the primal law-giver, and his laws were recorded in the extremely ancient Vedic text called the Laws of Manu. Much of its contents describe moral and ethical codes of right behavior, but there is a section that deals with the ancient Vedic doctrine of World Ages - the Yugas. Manu indicates that a period of 24,000 years — clearly a reference to precession — consists of a series of four yugas or ages, each shorter and spiritually darker than the last. In one story this process of increasing limitation is envisioned as a cosmic cow standing with each leg in one quarter of the world; with each age that passes a leg is lost, resulting in the absurd and unstable world we live in today—a cow balancing on one leg.

According to the information in the Laws of Manu, the morning and twilight periods between the dawn of each new era equals one-tenth of its associated yuga, as shown in the following table:
Dawn Era Dusk Total Name

400 + 4000 + 400 = 4800 years. Satya Yuga (Golden Age)
300 + 3000 + 300 = 3600 years. Treta Yuga (Silver Age)
200 + 2000 + 200 = 2400 years. Dwapara Yuga (Bronze Age)
100 + 1000 + 100 = 1200 years. Kali Yuga (Iron Age)
12,000 years

In Vedic mythology, a fabled dawn time existed in the distant past, when human beings had direct contact with the divine intelligence emanating from Brahma—the seat of creative power and intelligence in the cosmos. This archaic Golden Age (the Satya Yuga) lasted some 4800 years. After the Golden Age ended, humanity entered a denser era, that of the Silver Age, lasting only 3600 years. In this age, humanity’s connection with the source was dimmed, and sacrifices and spiritual practices became necessary to preserve it. The Bronze Age followed, and humanity forgot its divine nature. Empty dogmas arose, along with indulgence in materialism. Next we entered the Kali Yuga—in which we remain today—where the human spirit suffers under gross materialism, ignorance, warfare, stupidity, arrogance, and everything contrary to our divine spiritual potential.

As the teachings tell, Kali, the creator-destroyer Goddess, will appear at the end of Kali Yuga to sweep away the wasted detritus of a spirit-dead humanity, making way for a new cycle of light and peace. Notice that the Manu text takes us from a pinnacle of light to the ultimate end-point of the process—the darkness of Kali Yuga. And notice that the four ages, when the overlap period is added, amounts to only half of the 24,000-year period of the Vedic Yuga cycle.

(source: Galactic Alignment - By John Major Jenkins).

The Indian astronomers went even further, giving a physical reason for how the dual star or binary motion might allow the rise and fall of human consciousness to occur. They said that the Sun (with the Earth and other planets) traveled along its set orbital path with its companion start, it would cyclically move close to, then away from, a point in space referred to as Vishnunabhi, a supposed magnetic center or "grand center".

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Tutor Turtle #45411 09/14/12 04:03 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
What there is no second coming ... no end of days.

Heresy I say ... burn the witch.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
paul #45415 09/14/12 04:20 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
How do we know that we survived?

Our Universe might have ended, and "we" might be the population of a new universe that came into existence just this year.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #45420 09/14/12 05:01 PM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Oh crap I am dead that explains "that smell".

Orac #45421 09/14/12 05:49 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Don't worry, there are plenty of universes in which you are alive. Just think about it: in some of them you are a religious extremist. laugh

There never was nothing.
paul #45437 09/15/12 01:59 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Would the destruction of a planet in one universe upset the balance of the others? Would it not have to disappear in all the universes?

(Probably a silly question but I'll risk it!)

Ellis #45455 09/16/12 08:58 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There are various multiverse theories, so there could be theories in which the destruction of a planet in one universe whould lead to its destruction throughout the multiverse. Somehow I doubt this, though, especially if the multiverse is infinite.

A more usual interpretation would be that if a planet is destroyed in one universe, there will be others in which it will also be destroyed, but there will be others again in which it survives, probably with varying degrees of damage, right through to those in which nothing happens to it at all.

To some extent this is used as a measure of the "distance" between universes. The "closer" two universes are together, the greater the similarity between events.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #45489 09/18/12 06:52 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
why do you think there is a multiverse?

is that a part of physics these days?

I can't see how any two universes would have the same planets in them in the first place.

so if this planet is destroyed , that's it , end of story.

we dont exist anywhere else.

this physical existence is all we have.

traveling backward's in time , could change history but only in this planet , unless that change caused an interaction with another planet.

that is my view on the subject , and I do have the right to
express my views on this forum don't I?

is this just a probability thing , designed to protect someone's
theory , or do people actually believe that a multiverse is possible?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
paul #45494 09/18/12 07:32 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
why do you think there is a multiverse?

Now, there's something I don't recall saying!

Quote:
I can't see how any two universes would have the same planets in them in the first place.

Agreed.

Quote:
traveling backward's in time , could change history but only in this planet , unless that change caused an interaction with another planet.

There seem to be those in the scientific community who think that past directed time travel is possible only in a multiverse situation.

My personal belief is that past directed TT is a thing of science fiction only, but as with other beliefs, I'm open to persuasion.

Quote:
do people actually believe that a multiverse is possible?

If by "people" you mean scientists, there are a few PS books out there that indicate that believers exist.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #45499 09/18/12 08:19 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
ok , I was thinking that the reason for the multiverse thing was
to allow the QM'ers to borrow from the nearest universe.

but here's something I thought about ...

suppose someone lived in the past that went to heaven when they died.

then someone from the future traveled back in time.

they got together and became criminals and murderers.

then when he died , he went to hell.

he is already in heaven , so would his spirit leave heaven
and go to hell.

or would he have a spirit in heaven and in hell?

the way I see it is , his spirit would go to hell.

that's not fair for peoples spirits that are already in heaven.

but the above could also be reversed.

because someone could travel back in time and keep someone from going to hell.

so that evens it back up.

or do we just have a spirit that is loosed / freed when we die.

we wont really find that out until we die.

there are people who experience an out of body experience
when they die , and they are brought back to life.

and mostly they experience or see the same things.

so we can't say that there is no life after death
because we have no proof or evidence , but there is some evidence showing that life after death is a possibility.

religion is all about the spiritual realm , we cannot see it or measure it , some of us just know its there.

some say its not there because they cannot see it or measure it.

so I suppose a multiverse might be there , if it is we will only find out after we die.

LOL

but what if the multiverse is the spirit realm.

and you are borrowing from the spirit realm...

I would expect that there would be hell to pay.

and I would not want to be anywhere near the particle accelerators when hell comes to claim what is rightfully theirs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.