Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45050 08/28/12 02:38 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
has anyone ever considered a particle accelerator located inside a spaceship.

please withhold all of the reference frame comments.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
This would seem like a very costly undertaking. What sort of argument would you use in your attempt to obtain funding?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
What sort of argument would you use in your attempt to obtain funding?

Quote:
This would seem like a very costly undertaking.

yes , it would.

but it could be traveling away from us as it is functioning and if certain propulsion methods were used it could be very far away from us as it is functioning and it could have momentum in the opposite direction from us as it is traveling and functioning.

that way any unexpected hazards could be contained in its immediate vicinity and this could be avoided

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
You will have to ask those who believe an accelerator can open a black hole how massive the black hole can get.

From that we can work out how far away we would need to station the spaceship you propose and I suggest it is going to be a long way outside our solar system.

However then you are left with the problem there is also a group who believe the LHC is a threat to universe because the universe is in a metastable vaccuum.

Their concerns have about the same degree of probability as the black hole eating earth group.

So how do you deal with that risk Paul?

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
So how do you deal with that risk Paul?

I would deal with it by shutting it down until I completely understood how the universe was formed from nothing.

but cern will not be shut down just because they dont understand exactly what they are doing.

it is a facility to carry out experiments.

they dont know what the experiments will result in.

thats why they are experimenting.

there are already billions upon billions of black holes in our universe alone so one more wouldnt really harm the universe.

but we are in our galaxy and one where we are would be attracted to the one in our galaxies center.

of course then we as earthlings wouldnt be worried about anything, would we , we would have discovered all we could discover at that point.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
One of my favourite quotes regarding the LHC is:
"If you don't understand how it works, don't talk to me about how it's going to destroy the world."

And about scientific endeavors in general:
"We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology."
Carl Sagan

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
heres one that I like concerning know it alls

The only things worth learning are the things you learn after you know it all.

---

if our civilization is based on science and technology then why are
scientist and technologist and the universities that teach knowledge
always accepting pay and donations in order to stagnate certain technologies.

I think its based on greed.
not science and technology.
a quick look at the world with millions of starving and wars and criminal politicians and rulers tells us that its not based on science and technology.

and it never has been in the past either.

hers a good quote concerning greed.

The greed of gain has no time or limit to its capaciousness. Its one object is to produce and consume. It has pity neither for beautiful nature nor for living human beings. It is ruthlessly ready without a moment's hesitation to crush beauty and life

thats a good picture of todays world.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
hmmm perhaps I can offer

"I know that I know nothing" ... Socrates

and perhaps an interesting read to really understand the quote

Socrates defense against the charges of "corrupting the young, and by not believing in the gods in whom the city believes, but in other daimonia that are novel"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apology_(Plato)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.