Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44862 08/19/12 09:20 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
"Apocalypse Not" is the title of an article in the Sept. 2012 Wired Magazine. Basically it looks at some of the various things that have been going to destroy humanity over the last 50 years, Diseases, acid rain, overpopulation, and some others. It points out that so far none of them have come about. Basically technology has been keeping ahead of all of them. The diseases that were going to wipe us out turned out not to be as bad as was at first thought, or we learned to control them before they got a good foot hold. Acid rain was destroying our forests, but in fact forests are growing better than ever. Except in some places where they are being cut back to allow the growth of feed stocks for methanol. Population growth is actually on a decline, so we will probably get that under control long before it becomes a complete disaster. It certainly isn't as big a problem as some people thought it would be back in the 70s. And we will be able to work through global warming. Basically the author feels that one of the biggest problems is the mindset of some that we don't need to do anything, and the mindset of others that we have to take immediate and drastic actions. He thinks that a middle way is going to get us through. A lot of small changes will do just fine.

So I find there are other people who feel the same way I do. We have problems, but they won't kill us off.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #44864 08/19/12 11:32 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
That's a very refreshing view with which, as it happens, I tend to agree. I suppose you realize that the Apocalypse enthusiasts will dismiss it out of hand. I feel I have to mention that, because just a few hours ago I was chatting with a Bible literalist (big mistake) who insisted on pursuing the subject despite my evasive techniques. My attempts to project the future in a positive way were repeatedly countered with: "I'm sorry, it is written...". You know, there seem to be a lot of people out there who are hellbent on a macabre wish-fulfillment.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
redewenur #44866 08/19/12 11:54 PM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
The thought of world ending events is much more exciting than a measured response to forecasted disaster, with the possibility of a positive outcome for just about all of us.

It must be especially fulfilling if you are convinced of your own individual survival because you are so 'good' and 'it is written', particularly if the rest of the population is DOOMED unless they do as you say!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.