Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4480 11/16/05 01:25 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Who knows anything about photographic memories?
Is it true that anyone can develop them?

#4481 11/16/05 04:48 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Google
"eidetic memory" 46,600

Like perfect pitch, either you have it or you do not. It's based in hardware not wetware.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#4482 11/19/05 05:14 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Yes true, even if your 'hardware' is not up to scratch.
Modern Mnemonics was first practiced by Dr Bruno Furst (American)
You make associations with items that you know VERY WELL, with items that you need to remember.
He produced a Numbers Dictionary, from 1-999
Each number represented a letter.
0-S
1=T (looks upright)
2=N (2 dowstrokes)
3=M (3 downstrokes
4=R
5=L
6=J or G(number reversed)
7=K
8=F (like a written f)
9=B

His dictionary puts in the vowels for you, which is very easy to learn.
i.e The 12th object =TN =TaN
So you rem that your 12th object is sunburnt.
The 10th object is =TS =ToeS. (Your 10th object is smelly/tickles/between your toes?
The 37th object is =MK =MiKe (Microphone)
The 41st object is =RT =RaT
YOU must MAKE that VISUAL picture in your mind of the two objects to rem:. the more visual or silly the better.
I do have Dr Furst's original dictionary. Email me and I can send you the 1st 100 terms, if you are really interested.
But here is a simple trick for remembering any 10 items, as long as you learn this simple childs word-rhyming.
1-GUN, Two-SHOE, Three-TREE, Four-DOOR, Five-HIVE
Six-STICKS, Seven-HEAVEN, Eight-GATE, Nine-LINE(washing line)
10-HEN.

Just ask anyone to call out any TEN objects, you just VISUALLY link them to the above ten words.
And you will find you can tell him/her what the object is ....as soon as he calls out a Number.
The first time you ever do this, do NOT call back the objects in order. Surprise yourself, and him/her, by asking for any number between 1-10.
I used to teach Mnemonics as discussed above to students at evening classes, when I was about 22 years old.
Any one can learn up to 50 items, whether it be objects, facts, even phone numbers within 5 days.
Although you could produce your own Dictionary, Dr Fursts Dict: are number produced objects that (his?) students came up with more often and presumably stuck into ones brain better. smile

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#4483 11/19/05 01:03 PM
S
S
Your 'learning style' is determined by the nature of your mental representations. Your "hardware" uses a mix of verbal, visual (a.k.a. eidetic), auditory, kinesthesic (i.e. involving physical response) 'learning channels' (Barbe and Swassing 1979).

Although, admittedly, people's brains may give preference to some of these channels, all of use use every one of these channels, be we aware of it or not.

Evidence of the effect of one's predominant learning style on achievement has been provided by recent research (Moore 1992). For this reason, it is advisable to find out one's own style. Certain findings (Hinkelman and Pysock 1992) have shown that the auditory style is preeminent to many people , contrarily to the "popularity" of the visual style.

On the other hand, keep in mind that combined use of different learning channels ("organic" learning) is likely to improve your results, especially since transfer between learning channels is not necessarily trivial, even if the activities involved are similar (Lindsley 1995).

For this reason, I would suggest you not to rely that much on the myth of photographic memory and find out which is your own style.

Good luck!

Bibliography

BARBE, W.; SWASSING, R. (1979) Teaching through modality. Strengths, concepts and practices. Columbus, Ohio: Zaner-Bloser.

LINDSLEY, O. R. (1995) "Ten products of fluency." Journal of Precision Teaching, 13(1), 2-11.

MOORE, R.C. (1992) Effects of computer assisted instruction and perceptual preference(s) of eighth-grade students on the mastery of language arts and mathematics. [EdD thesis] Orangeburg: South Carolina State University.

PS
If you want to train your memory, may I suggest a multimedia trainer called VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer), available from http://www.vtrain.net/home.htm

#4484 11/19/05 10:30 PM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Skyliner:
................., on the other hand, keep in mind that combined use of different learning channels ("organic" learning) is likely to improve your results, especially since transfer between learning channels is not necessarily trivial, even if the activities involved are similar (Lindsley 1995).

For this reason, I would suggest you not to rely that much on the myth of photographic memory and find out which is your own style.

Good luck!

PS
If you want to train your memory, may I suggest a multimedia trainer called VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer), available from http://www.vtrain.net/home.htm
Skyliner, many thanks for the Bibliography, and the 'vtrain URL'. Its appreciated.

I'm not sure I would associate a photographic memory with the word myth.
Very many particular talented individuals past and present, are able to remember volumes of data.
Prodigious talent, that generally appears in early childhood, nor have they had any sort of training, memory or otherwise. I would equate that with fact, rather than myth.
Artists that can look at a scene once, and return to their studio and produce a painting correct in every detail. Musicians like Mozart playing and composing at 4 years old. Ask these 'savants' how they think....they cannot really tell you.
What is known, is that they generally exclude everything else, other than their particular ability. So much so that some of them have been called idiot savants, even autistic in modern times.
Nevertheless their powers of recall are prodigious, and I do not believe the brain can recall, unless the item is stored away in a 'box', ready for retrieval when required. Whether its an electro-chemical box of synapse connections, I would'nt know. But it must be storage of some sort.
We lesser mortals when required to learn and recall, are able to link unmemorised objects to our own previously learnt visual memorys.
When we are good at it, others amazed, and call it a photographic memory.
Certainly the visual pictures conjured up by mnemonic linking is way, way, better than learning by rote. And we have all done that, at school. You will be lucky to remember it for the exam.
I really do believe that Dr Bruno Furst Mnemonics can sharpen and develop your memory.
You might try this simple numerical/visual/adding
test and see how far and accurate you get.
TEST- Just keep on doubling the number 2
If you try it in bed just before you go to sleep, you can find it mentally exhausting. mad

PS I will now go and look at Vtrain, possibly commenting later.

#4485 11/24/05 02:52 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

[QUOTE]2 previous replys by Mike.

Yes true, even if your 'hardware' is not up to scratch.
Modern Mnemonics was first practiced by Dr Bruno Furst (American)
You make associations with items that you know VERY WELL, with items that you need to remember.....................etc.
(see my previous replys
[QUOTE]Reply 3 by Mike.

'Another snippet of info to add to my 2 posts above'
- Filtering out useless information can help people increase their capacity to remember what is really important, researchers said on Wednesday.
Scientists at the University of Oregon in the United States have demonstrated that awareness, or visual working memory, does not depend on extra storage space in the brain but on an ability to IGNORE what is irrelevant.
"Until now, it's been assumed that people with high capacity visual working memory had greater storage, but actually it's about the bouncer -- a neural mechanism that controls what information gets into awareness," said Edward Vogel who headed the research team.

The findings reported in the journal Nature would overturn the accepted concept of memory capacity, which has suggested that how much a person can remember depends on the amount of information crammed into the brain at one time.

Vogel and his team believe the results could lead to better ways to enhance memory and improve the diagnosis and treatment of cognitive problems such as attention deficit disorder and schizophrenia.

? Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.