Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#44568 08/03/12 11:06 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

A team was studying the long-term toxicology of C60
(fullerene, "buckyballs") by giving it to rats as a solution in olive oil. The control groups were water and olive oil without C60. The compound has already been shown to have no noticeable short-term toxic effects, so they probably didn't expect anything dramatic in the lower-dose long-term mode.

Wrong.
What they found was that the fullerene/olive oil group had their life spans extended by some 90%, which would make this mixture perhaps the most efficacious life-extended treatment ever seen in a rodent model. This is a very odd and a very interesting result.

The most likely mechanism for the life-extension effects is through oxidative stress and free radical scavenging.
There have been several reports of C60 as an antioxidant, and other reports that hydrated C60 does the opposite.
In this study, even at very low doses, C60 appears to protect rodents against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage, for example, which is known to involve a radical process. Significantly, it does so while showing protection against glutathione depletion, which also suggests that it's directly scavenging reactive intermediates.

The Author,
. Derek Lowe, (derekb.lowe@gmail.com) an Arkansan by birth, got his BA from Hendrix College and his PhD in organic chemistry from Duke.

****My thoughts
Buckyballs prolong life? Really? I thought Buckyballs were first discovered in Candle smoke? Urrgh.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Wonderful! Let me see, I'll need some candles and some olive oil to start making my own magical life extending elixir. Then I need to get some money to make a TV infomercial and I can get rich.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
make a TV infomercial and I can get rich.

for awhile maybe , at least until the FDA gets wind of it.
especially if it really works.

so 90% life extension in rats.

Oz has a underground water supply that causes livestock to
have a 100% longer life.

and olive oil has been used for thousands of years to treat illness , so why not?

maybe you could mix some of the olive oil and the OZ water
together and make even more !

it may even be the olive oil thats extending the rats lives.

just like silver has been used for thousands of years for treatment of illness you will probably find that you cant
advertise that it can be used to treat any illness.

because it cant be controlled by big pharma.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Until the next medical report in 10 years time that is builds up in the body over time causing cancer :-)

So steer away from this I have some perfectly good "snake oil" that does exactly the same thing and if you order now I will throw in some steak knives.

Not just that for a limited time if you place your order I will give you a second bottle of "snake oil" to share with a friend or love one.

So don't delay send mail-order or cheque to the address below.

Orac's "snake oil" life extender
C/O Make Orac Rich Company
Cayman island bank deposit number 10011

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
orac

have you heard that olive oil builds up in the body?

I know that silver hangs around in the body for 5 days
and if you take too much it can build up in the body
and cause your fingernails and skin to turn blue.

but as soon as you stop overdosing the silver your skin and nails return to their normal color.

I have never read that silver has any adverse effects on health.

but silver has been used and is being used to treat a wide range of medical conditions.

the fact is that silver is producing results where big pharma failed.

and as far as cancer is concerned if you dont allow cancer
a environment of grow in , it cant grow.

silver kills all virus / microbes !

and can be charged either positive or negative when needed to kill certain microbes.

silver is used to repair the mistakes of hospitals when
staff infections occur in hospitals.

silver is used to treat burn victims.
aids , tuberculosis , cancer , etc...

poking fun at people who use a proven method of treating their patients vs a proven method of slowly killing their patients might be fun or even funny to some or most.

for a hospital and a set of doctors to deny a paitent the ability to recieve treatment using proven methods because those methods are not standard practice is not fun or funny or even humane . to me it is murder.

if you have ever watched someone in a so called hospital slowly die because the errors that the hospital makes in its standard practices and the tricks they use to put that person on life support so that the hospital can make more money
then you wouldnt find any humor in people or the few brave doctors who have chosen to heal their patients vs allowing a so called hospital to murder their patients.

I say murder because that is what it is.

its not malpractice.

its murder.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
silver kills all virus / microbes !

In that case you better get rid of any silver jewelry. We need a whole bunch of viruses and microbes to keep us alive and healthy. Anything that indiscriminately kills microbes must be used with caution, so that it doesn't damage our personal ecosystems.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
dont worry about us Bill , we already have that covered.

pro-biotics replace the murdered good microbes but not the
murdering bad microbes.

billions of them in a single pill.

or you can just eat yogurt !

wearing silver jewerly is a good thing Bill , you have heard the saying
" born with a silver spoon in their mouth "
this comes from the antibiotic effects of silver , the rich who used silver eating utensils were less affected by plagues and silver spoons were placed / kept in the mouths of rich peoples babies.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
this comes from the antibiotic effects of silver , the rich who used silver eating utensils were less affected by plagues and silver spoons were placed / kept in the mouths of rich peoples babies.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I had always understood/assumed that it had to do with the fact that rich peoples children were fed with a silver spoon just because they were rich. I was not aware that rich people were particularly exempt from plagues. Of course they might have been better able to keep from getting plagues because they could afford to be cleaner, and could keep from associating with the poor people who lived in more crowded and unsanitary conditions.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Silver is a powerful, natural antibiotic that has been used for thousand of years, with no harmful side effects ever having being observed. To prevent disease, ancient Greeks lined their eating and drinking vessels with silver, as did many cultures throughout the world [Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910]. Silverware became popular 1,900 years ago when Physicians advised their patients to only eat with silver if they wanted to stay healthy.

During the 14th century, about 25% of the people in Europe died from the bubonic plague. Those that used silver utensils had a much higher rate of survival than those who did not use silver. Wealthy parents even gave their children silver spoons to suck on to battle the plague. This lead to the expression, “Born with a silver spoon in your mouth”.

http://www.medicinebeeherbals.com/article-colloidal-silver.php

you might not think that the above is a credible source

but the credible sources you think are credible are not credible to me.

---------------------- MY REASONING ----------------------

because the FDA prevents any such credibility!
therefore in my opinion there are no credible sources for any medicine or medical procedure.

if the FDA has to force the witholding of information from
the public concerning colodial silver then any information that
is allowed by the FDA concerning any other medication
to be displayed to the public is tainted and worthless.

----------------------------------------------------------------

so , its a matter of what works isnt it.

slow death or recovery.

also you wont find any so called credible sources anymore
when it comes to colodial silver because the FDA has made it illegal to claim that it will cure any illness.

your tax dollars at work.

Quote:
At one time, the FDA stated that because Colloidal Silver was a pre-1938 drug [by fifty years], it could continue to be marketed in the same manner as before 1938. However, they reversed this stance in a subsequent statement. Because of the latest FDA ruling, one can discuss Colloidal Silver’s ability to kill Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Candida, and 650 other microbes, but one cannot make any claims that it will cure any of the diseases these organisms cause, such as strep throat, pneumonia, ringworm, etc. Regardless of what diseases Colloidal Silver cured, or what research was done prior to 1938, claims about colloidal silver’s efficacy against diseases cannot be made today without going through a long, expensive FDA drug approval process. Meanwhile, more organisms became resistant to today’s antibiotics.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Silver spoons were used by the wealthy because they are pretty and the wealthy had minions who could keep them clean-- and also because there was a tradition that silver cutlery (in effect spoons as forks were not yet popular), turned black in the presence of poison.

Since silver has a propensity to turn black at the drop of a hat let alone poison is not news to anyone who has had to polish silver, so probably poison may have inadvertently been detected. However the silver tarnishes if a silver spoon is used to eat a boiled egg!

As for the 'silver spoon in the mouth' I think Bill explained that.

In plagues everyone was felled, but the wealthy used to escape to their country houses when the plague season happened, possibly taking their spoons with them, but I don't think there s evidence that they thought that the cutlery would protect them from the illness.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Ellis
................................>

Since silver has a propensity to turn black at the drop of a hat let alone poison is not news to anyone who has had to polish silver, so probably poison may have inadvertently been detected. However the silver tarnishes if a silver spoon is used to eat a boiled egg!

In plagues everyone was felled, but the wealthy used to escape to their country houses when the plague season happened, possibly taking their spoons with them, but I don't think there s evidence that they thought that the cutlery would protect them from the illness.

[Quote=Mike Kremer]

People escaped the plague in London , either because they had natural immunity, or because they changed their water supply (drinking well).
There is a village well, in the middle of Hampstead Heath London(still there today)...called "The Vale of Health" Nobody caught the Plague drinking from its waters.

Colloidal Silver as Paul states ...kills all kinds of microbes and germs.
Go to your Pharmacy and you can buy Colloidal silver Elastoplasters, or fine silver woven bandages.

They are as good as leeches for killing Staph: eruptions and other infection germs on wounds.

No time right now ...but I believe you can make your own Colloidal Silver somewhere on the WWW.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:

No ! I explained that.

people used silver because of its health benefits.

it would be pretty stupid to use silver only because its
shiny after you polish it.

and think of the toxic polish itself and the work required to
keep silver sparkly and shiny.

and there was always gold that required no polishing.

if the rich wanted to show off their fortunes then gold
spoons would have been the better choice.

they used silver spoons because of the antibacterial benefits that gold does not have.

people have even used copper for its health benefits.
copper has antibacterial benefits like silver does.
why do you think they dont use copper pipes in houses anymore
they did away with copper pipes and replaced copper with less healthy plastic pipe.

it is also stupid to use copper just because it is shiny after you polish it.

people use copper utensils because of its antibacterial benefits.

I suppose that nasa and the ussr use silver water pipes in their space vehicles so they can polish them all the time and have something to do while they are up there , and to have nice sparkly shiny water pipes to look at.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
copper is a antibacterial touch material , water held in copper vessels ( water pipes ) does not gather slime like it does in plastic pipes.

Quote:
Copper and its alloys (brasses, bronzes, cupronickel, copper-nickel-zinc, and others) are natural antimicrobial materials. Ancient civilizations exploited the antimicrobial properties of copper long before the concept of microbes became understood in the nineteenth century.[1][2] In addition to several copper medicinal preparations, it was also observed centuries ago that water contained in copper vessels or transported in copper conveyance systems was of better quality (i.e., no or little visible slime formation) than water contained or transported in other materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Thanks Paul.
I did not realise that Copper had anti-bacterial properties.
Do you know if they are as good as Copper?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
it would be pretty stupid to use silver only because its
shiny after you polish it.

And it would be pretty stupid to wear designer clothing just because it is fancy.

The art of "if you've got it, flaunt it" didn't start recently, it has been around forever.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
There is possibly a huge drawback of too much copper in the body

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%E2%80%99s_disease

"Elevated free copper levels exist in Alzheimer’s disease.[1] Copper and Zinc are known to bind to amyloid beta proteins in Alzheimer's disease.[17] This bound form is thought to mediate the production of reactive oxygen species in the brain.[18]"

So whilst you may be having improved anti-bacterial effects you may not be able to remember anything :=)

I always love the argument from the alternative health crackpots that it's an old remedy that did them no harm ... they seem to forget the average life expectancy has gone up from under 40 in 1850 to over 70 now so they would not have lived long enough for us to know :-)

Last edited by Orac; 08/06/12 08:15 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
pretty stupid to wear designer clothing just because it is fancy.

apples and oranges there Bill.

were not ( currently ) discussing clothing , were discussing the benefits of using antibacterial spoons and such.

not sure why you chose clothing as a vector either.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Do you know if they are as good

as silver?

I wouldnt experiment with any type of coloidial copper
if thats what you mean.

unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge to do so.

copper will form a greenish blue tarnish like silvers black
colored tarnish over time as you know because of oxidation.

the copper pipes are beginning to make a comeback in new homes because of the antibacterial health benefits and the availability of lead free solder used to join the pipes.

still even in a new home the water distribution pipes leading to the new home will have gobs of free bacteria to drink unless you have a home distillery to cleanse the free bacteria from the water supply.

If you run the water long enough in a copper pipe system then the copper may not completely cleanse the slime.

so it would be cheaper to use a small home distillery for your drinking water that removes the slime.

but you would still be bathing in the slime and washing your
clothes in the slime.

I imagine that in the UK you guys have some really old water pipes in use , so some of them might be the old leaded water pipes , you might want to check.

I have seen actual lead pipes that formed a 3-4 ft connection between two service pipes in the 70's.

then it was burried!

I wonder if its still in use.

It was used because of movement issues of the ground to maintain a connection.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

apples and oranges there Bill.

were not ( currently ) discussing clothing , were discussing the benefits of using antibacterial spoons and such.

not sure why you chose clothing as a vector either.

What I was trying to point out is that if you don't have any good documentation from the time to indicate that they really did use silver to protect themselves then there could be other explanations, such as conspicuous consumption. As I said above, "if you've got it, flaunt it" isn't a new concept. Designer clothing just came to mind as an example.

Bill Gill

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

the above shows the richest nation in the world with a lower
population to land mass ratio with all the smartest people and money in the world and the highest technology to be number 38 from the top.

so I suppose your right , LOL.

look at the list , Japan at the top.

followed by Hong Kong.

it looks like the ( old remedies are spreading )

unless asia is not known for old remedies that date back thousands of years.

surely its not technology that has caused the increase in
life expectancy of the world or the U.S. would be at the top.

not at 38th place.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.