Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 102 of 120 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 119 120
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
THIS THREAD NOW HAS OVER 5,600,000 HITS
And yet no one posts here.
Must be something in the content that doesn't follow thru with the title.
You're the only one who posts here Rev.

Maybe if you talked about something other than yourself, and stopped bragging about this thread having millions of hits without actually drawing anyone into the conversation?

Great title tho. You got off on a great start until you actually started bringing your opinions into the thread.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
Megastar
AMAZING. It was only yesterday that I invited readers of this thread to join the Soma, Psyche and Pneuma--Body, Mind & Spirit thread.(SSP--BMS)

Overnight the new thread (SSP--BMS) jumped to 1,023 hits. WOW! cool

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
And like this thread no one took an interest to post.
Hmmmm.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Hey look! It just leaped since your post to 1043. WOW! that means that overnight 20 hits. But then if you discount the 5 times you visited it, to see if anyone showed up that really only makes 15... But WOW! smile

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
smile
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxx********8*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...........,,..................................Am I resting on the back of turtle? Sounds like a turtle, eh! cool laugh

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
smile
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxx********8*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...........,,..................................Am I resting on the back of turtle? Sounds like a turtle, eh! cool laugh

Good idea Rev. Since this thread has put everyone to sleep, might as well join them.

Megastar
Megastar
smile
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxxx>>>>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~~,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,........................................
JOIN ME IN DREAM LAND
What a dream I am having. Here I am, in the NOW, with millions of other pneuma beings--i.e., we are fully conscious and humane people, who, are all fully-aware that stress can be both positive and negative. Therefore, we choose to experience, and we are not afraid to enjoy, the somatic stress of a full life.

Realizing that no progress is made without intellectual effort we also embrace life--somatically, psychologically and pneumatologically.

ABOUT ONE OF MY INTELLECTUAL HEROS
In the 1970's, after a lecture he gave, I chatted with him, in Toronto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Selye (HS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_%28biological%29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the thread on the SOMA, PSYCHE and PNEUMA, you will learn what he did for SOMATOLOGY.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.native-languages.org/legends-turtle.htm
And did you know that many Native North Americans call NM, Turtle Island?

So, in a META-tative state, I and my friends choose to rest from our stress on the back of this turtle. cool eh? laugh
BTW, look here: 5,615,233. Hmmm, that is 15,000! Not a bad jump for a few days.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
BTW, look here: 5,615,233. Hmmm, that is 15,000! Not a bad jump for a few days.
Not a bad jump. 15000 jumped right past the thread without stopping to even say hello.

People are just rude. wink

I
I
Hello

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
Hello
Hey IG! I see, You are a cell biologist? A student? A researcher? Or what?

You just arrived when I need you, thanks! Don't tell me you are really TT's alter ego, OK!

BTW, How many cells does a Turtle have--besides the 3, or is it one?--in "his/her" brain? smile
==============================
But seriously, I am seriously interested in all the sciences, including biology--and my granddaughter is at Toronto University and is engaged to a biologist.

His father happens to be a professor of biology, there. We had a great chat, recently--very interesting.

Check out who I am @ www.lindsayking.ca

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

You just arrived when I need you
Check out who I am @ www.lindsayking.ca

Ah... the theme of this thread. The needs of the Reverend smile

seems that ignore button keeps toggling back and forth..
eh Rev. wink on...off...on... off...

Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
Ah... the theme of this thread. The needs of the Reverend smile
Of course my alter ego has needs. Have I have ever said otherwise? If so, have your ego let me know. I would love to see them in a duel.

Anyone, my ego needs a second, please.
Quote:
seems that ignore button keeps toggling back and forth...
Of course I use the IB! I find it is a very convenient tool. I recommend it to anyone.

ImagingGeek, would you please check the blood of my ego. I want to know how it compares with turtles, OK! And you are most welcome to attend the duel. laugh

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/14/13 01:53 AM.

I
I
Hey IG! I see, You are a cell biologist? A student? A researcher? Or what?

Prof/scientist.

You just arrived when I need you, thanks!

I've 'been here' since 2010...

But seriously, I am seriously interested in all the sciences, including biology--and my granddaughter is at Toronto University and is engaged to a biologist.

Small world; I was at sickkids (the real one in Toronto, not the pretend one in NYC) until ~2 years ago.

Bryan

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Of course my alter ego has needs. Have I have ever said otherwise?

Nope, your message was clear. You post to draw the attention to yourself. You or your (alter) ego only had to say it once.
I keep thinking one of you will actually post on topic and make it about something other than yourself... silly me. frown
It must be the other personality that keeps butting in and taking over with its own needs. Whenever there is a conflict of interests in split personalities (Jekyll and Hyde) one can sometimes dominate in their presence over the other in the public eye. However.. I think both of your personalities are actually aligned with the same thought and need to just get some attention.

Both of you probably miss standing at the pulpit...
Quote:
seems that ignore button keeps toggling back and forth...
Originally Posted By: Revlookatmeking
Of course I use the IB! I find it is a very convenient tool.

Well yeah, it could be convenient if you used it to actually ignore someone. It sort of defeats the purpose when you disable the ignore function to read every post and then comment before enabling it again. whistle

Megastar
Megastar
... Small world; I was at sick kids (the real one in Toronto, not the pretend one in NYC) until ~2 years ago. Bryan
Here since 2010, eh? What makes any sick kids hospital......a pretend one shocked ?

Meanwhile, I'll check out some of your posts. Are you still actively involved in your field? Or are you retired?

WHAT ARE CELLS, UNITS OF LIFE?
Interestingly, one older book on biology, which I have--it came out in 1980--says that the human body has 60 trillion cells. The figure used in Wikipedia now, is nearly 100 trillion cells. How accurate can we be about this question? Do larger bodies have more cells, or just bigger ones?

BTW, Would you be willing to have a dialogue--short or otherwise--about the science of biology? It could be interesting to explore how biology relates to other sciences--for example, psychology and other soft sciences. Let's talk about how come it ought to be of interest to all of us?

If you are too busy to do this, just say so, IG, and I will understand.
======================================
But then I found this, by you:
Quote:
Consciousness is most likely an emergent property of having tens of thousands of analog processors running in parallel, which is basically what your brain is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_property

Bryan

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/14/13 11:12 PM.

I
I
... Small world; I was at sick kids (the real one in Toronto, not the pretend one in NYC) until ~2 years ago. Bryan
Here since 2010, eh? What makes any sick kids hospital......a pretend one shocked ?

One is the original; the other stole the name 50 years later.

Meanwhile, I'll check out some of your posts. Are you still actively involved in your field? Or are you retired?

Very much involved; hence why I haven't been here much.

Interestingly, one older book on biology, which I have--it came out in 1980--says that the human body has 60 trillion cells. The figure used in Wikipedia now, is nearly 100 trillion cells. How accurate can we be about this question? Do larger bodies have more cells, or just bigger ones?

An exact count is impossible, as the number is always changing, different sized individuals will have differing amounts, and there are structures (e.g. RBCs, platelets) which are unclear if they should be counted as cells or not.

BTW, Would you be willing to have a dialogue--short or otherwise--about the science of biology?

Sure, with the caveat that I'd be doing it in whatever free time I have.

B

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Should be interesting the ideas that come out of this regarding what is biology, (what with the vague references to spirit and the other made up terms the Reverend uses in application to reality).

Megastar
Megastar

Sure, with the caveat that I'd be doing it in whatever free time I have.B
Thanks, Bryan!See you in SOMA, PSYCHE & PNEUMA...thread. Question: In your opinion, do body (soma) cells interact--Any examples?-with what is going on in the psyche (mind) and/or pneuma (spirit) components of host?

I
I

Sure, with the caveat that I'd be doing it in whatever free time I have.B
Thanks, Bryan!See you in SOMA, PSYCHE & PNEUMA...thread. Question: In your opinion, do body (soma) cells interact--Any examples?-with what is going on in the psyche (mind) and/or pneuma (spirit) components of host?

Cells interact. The mind is an emergent property from the interactions of those cells. The spirit is a myth created by stone-aged minds.

Bryan

T
Megastar
Megastar
T

Cells interact.
Yes they do, in alot of ways, similar to humans.
The mind is an emergent property from the interactions of those cells.

Just like you. You are an emergent Bryan based on the interaction of humanity. Somehow, you as an anomaly, without a will and a future other than what is strictly dictated by the people you meet, would cease to be of any use or purpose without human interaction. Better to not isolate yourself from the herd, for without the herd you might cease to function as a conscious anomaly.
The spirit is a myth created by stone-aged minds.
Definitions of spirit have been imagined by stone aged minds, yes. Imagine a thousand years from now and how they will be looking back at today as a sort of technicalogical and scientific stone age.

Amazing how such chaos and randomness has produced such an emergent technology and consciousness that is doomed to become obsolete and valueless to so many. All because there is no spirit (per se) or creativity involved in the reality of things. Just random happenings based on scientifically derived chemical coctails.

Page 102 of 120 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.