Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44296 07/20/12 02:02 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ethan Siegel, in his "Starts With a Bang" blog has an article about the size of the universe.
Originally Posted By: Ethan Siegel
If the Universe does curve back and close on itself, its radius of curvature is at least 150 times as large as the part that’s observable to us! Meaning that — even without speculative physics like cosmic inflation — we know that the entire Universe extends for at least 14 trillion light years in diameter, including the part that’s unobservable to us today.

That is pretty big. It isn't necessarily infinite, but it is a lot bigger than most historical figures have had.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Looks like a good article, Bill. I've bookmarked it for when I have time to give it some attention.

You know I have to say this, though smile

Quote:
That is pretty big. It isn't necessarily infinite

Infinity is not something very big!

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

You know I have to say this, though smile
Quote:
That is pretty big. It isn't necessarily infinite
Infinity is not something very big!
What on earth does this last sentence me? Bill S, two things: First, you have some 'splainin to do. Second, I am still waiting for your response to the comment I made about space/time:
Perhaps what we call "time" is simply a beautiful illusion, which gives anyone with the WILL to get involved--certainly this includes me--the opportunity to wonder (philosophise), measure (do the math and the other sciences) and create--that is, do the technology and the art. And doesn't all the sciences
Quote:
begin as a philosophy and end as an art?

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/21/12 08:36 PM. Reason: Always good to do

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
“Infinity is not something very big!”. Infinity is not a very large, or a very small number. In fact it is not a number at all. Infinity is not a very big, or a very small something. In fact it cannot be defined as having any size within the 3+1 dimensions to which we are restricted.

Quote:
I am still waiting for your response to the comment I made about space/time:

Did I miss something, or is it my memory? I always try to answer questions, so please ask again.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Quote:
I am still waiting for your response to the comment I made about space/time:

Did I miss something, or is it my memory? I always try to answer questions, so please ask again.
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Rev, I would be fascinated to know how you distinguish between infinity and eternity. Your personal distinction, that is; not how one might distinguish....
Bill, I am not sure what it is you are asking. Could you put it another way? Meanwhile, ...

THE FOLLOWING JUST CAME TO ME THIS A.M.
While I did my usual morning META-tation--it can be done in less than five minutes--the following came to me:

Maybe, in my pneuma--i.e., my spirit, the who I am now, the self, the soul, the mind and source of my good and not-so-good (evil?) self--there IS no distinction between space/time.

There IS only space (G~O~D~like, panENtheistic Spirit) vibrating/moving and expanding in all directions.

Perhaps what we call "time" is simply a beautiful illusion, which gives anyone with the WILL to get involved--certainly this includes me--the opportunity to wonder (philosophise), measure (do the math and the other sciences) and create ( do the technology and the art). And doesn't all
Quote:
science begin as a philosophy and end as an art?

================
Rephrasing what I said earlier: If space allowed for it, in my signature I would write the GOD symbol--the one I concocted, a year or so ago--in two ways: When speaking of space--using a capital O--I would write it as G~O~D~~boundless space. When speaking of time--using a zero, 0--I would write it as G~0~D~~the eternal Now.
A modern translation of Genesis 1:1-3, with my notes in colour: New Living Translation (NLT)
1 In the beginning God (In Hebrew it is ELOHIM--a plural word meaning Being of beings ) created the heavens and the earth.
2 The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters (empty Space). And the Spirit of God was hovering (vibrating, or moving) over the surface of the waters.
3 Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light--(the so called "BIG bang").

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/23/12 03:10 AM. Reason: Always good to do

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
P
P
i can just say from my personal view how big this universe is. it like thousands of camel walking in desert, each carrying a box full of thousands of marble. each marble completes have is like a single solar system.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rev
Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light--(the so called "BIG bang").

Nice one Rev; you've just caught up with the RC Church! smile

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.