Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4431 11/10/05 04:12 PM
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Why did humans evolve to have a sense of humour, how does it help individuals and society as a whole? Moreover, why is absurdity funny?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
It keeps those of us intelligent enough to appreciate the human condition from committing suicide.

DA Morgan
U
Superstar
Superstar
U

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
Maybe it serves as a coping mechanism in difficult times, and also increases social bonding.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
"Why did humans evolve to have a sense of humour, how does it help individuals and society as a whole? Moreover, why is absurdity funny?". Wow.

First of all humor is subjective, is it not? Secondly, empirically, prove that humans evolved to have a sense of humor and that absurdity is funny.

I agree with soilguy; humor IS a form of communication. Some people use humor in order to alleviate their anxiety. Others use humor in order to "break the ice". "Sense of humor" or "Common sense".. one and the same. http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0800/et0800s17.html

This is supposedly humorous :

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/sn-python.html

Sincerely, laugh

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
D
D
Humour is a short detachment from life or survival, so it gives a break from its stresses. Similiar in some ways to an "out of body" experience a person might get if involved in an accident or threat of physical danger. But because of that detachment there if often found a strange objective truth. I think humour might be one of the highest forms of communication. It's not the message of the humour, it's the means of expressing the message that's unique. Talking about humour isn't funny.

B
B
So I often laugh at other peoples pain. It's all good. But still, why the hell do I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by billwilliam:
So I often laugh at other peoples pain. It's all good. But still, why the hell do I do that?
Because you're an evil, evil man! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

I really don't know, but it may be conditioning. People may learn what is considered funny. Sometimes a particular comedian doesn't strike me as funny, but as the years roll on, I later start thinking of their antics as funny. Not always, though. Sometimes it's the opposite.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
B
B
Hi everybody-

I'm brand new to this board and am glad I found it. Your posts demonstrate intelligence, which I often have trouble finding on various forums.

=======

Two New Jersey hunters are in the woods when one drops to the ground, his eyes roll back, and he stops moving.

His friend calls 911 and says,

"Operator, my friend just fell down and he's not moving! I think he's dead!"

She replies,

"OK, Sir, now calm down. First, let's make sure he's dead."

He says,

"OK, hold on."

The operator hears a loud gunshot. The hunter gets back on the phone and says,

"OK. Now what?"

=======

I have some theories based on natural selection about why this is funny, but first would like to hear from you.

VB

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura, ch? la diritta via era smarrita. salimmo s?, el primo e io secondo tanto ch'i' vidi de le cose belle che porta 'l ciel, per un pertugio tondo. E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.
D
D
Exposes taking things literally, a mindless following of experts in an emergency. But the joke lacks a fallguy who we like to think might act as stupid as this. The natural selection might be to expect your friends to have a brain. Welcome to where it's better to know the answers before you ask.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
in dreams, things that are really un-funny seem hilarious. Has anyone noticed?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
No.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Who says some of us aren't?

Havent' you noticed the level of culture and sophistication of humor going steadily downward?

I mean where is the high-class humor of the Marx Brothers or Three Stooges today?

We are doomed ... doomed I tell you.

DA Morgan
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Kate, if someone ANSWERS to my post in a non-sarcastic or mocking tone, it's obviously not useless and not worth deleting.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Why did humans evolve to have a sense of humour, how does it help individuals and society as a whole? Moreover, why is absurdity funny?

- I personally think it doesn't always make sense to expect to find evolutionary reasons/benefits for all human characteristics.

I think some things may be just emergent properties.

Maybe anything with a brain as large and complex as ours will get the joke.

Regards,

Blacknad.

L
L
BELLATOR,

Considering you find other's stupidity amusing, this website will have you in tears.

Darwin Awards homepage

"A plague on both your houses!"
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
If you like the Darwin Awards books, you might want to try another one called Enormous Boobs. Boobs as in -mistakes. Or you could listen to one of G.Bush's speeches smile

Blacknad,
"I think some things may be just emergent properties." Yeah, I agree.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.